Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One impressive run that I rarely see mentioned is Krystal's Zelda: Link to the Past. There is a shorter time on her ustream but the execution in this version is more impressive because there's no savewarping. It annihilates the LttP records on SDA.
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/15259424
sadly ustream loves to drown you in ads. Adblock for firefox can block them, I think, and there's some hosts file tweak bullshit that will block them too but I don't remember how that works. You can also just download the .flv using the equivalent to the Activity window in Safari.

brap fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
here's a dogathon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seriously, for a taxing marathon of a run here's something to see. 100% Majora's Mask in 6:14:07.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V1aF71rc-s

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Konstantin posted:

Part of the issue is that each speedrun has to be verified. There are a lot of ways to cheat. You can try to use an emulator and abuse save states, you can use a gameshark to modify the game's code, or you can do video editing tricks to make a run appear faster than it is. SDA normally requires several verifiers to check out every run, and these guys have to be trusted members of their community and know the game being played inside and out. It takes a long time to find these people, and even longer to actually go through the videos to make sure everything is legit.

honestly? it didn't stop tsa from submitting a faked wind waker run. I think the site would ideally be a wiki format where people can pretty much submit youtube playlists or what have you. You can have mods and verification and poo poo while still being able to keep things pretty quick and tied into the community.

I think runs should go up immediately and take as long as it takes to get verified. Who actually thinks they're proving something by beating a video game real fast? I don't think hardly anyone is actually interested in faking their results.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Brett824 posted:

And then ZFG got a 2:37:18 on the Japanese version, making it inarguably faster than Cosmo's new record.

Competition is really heating up for this record.

link

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Square-Enix games speedrunner extraordinaire Essentia is streaming attempts of single segment Chrono Trigger 100% runs. She's aiming for 5:45. http://www.twitch.tv/essentiafour

I remember reading about attempts at this in october.. it's morbid curiosity that leads me back to check out such a long run. If you guys haven't checked out inichi's run on SDA, definitely have a look. He completes the game shortly after getting sealed out of 12000BC by the prophet

edit: and I'm immediately reminded why I muted the audio...

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
that guy is going to fry his brain :stare:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
honestly just breaking up practice, running, and actually going out for a loving run irl would probably do wonders for his concentration, if there's any to salvage.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
at the risk of out :spergin: everyone here, real competitive gamers tend to be athletic and they dont eat like poo poo.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It means that to have the other category they should have to make a run without memory corruption glitches.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it amounts to who's willing to make a video for a specific thing will be accepted if its interesting.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i guess he could sync a metronome at 180?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would like that video so much more if the band was truly great. As it is in the first few minutes they can't play in tune and it makes me cry. If they really knew the songs like musicians and could play around them it would be really really cool. The coordination that it takes is pretty cool. I'm sure it's hard to call so many tempos and keep it together. It does show that the intro theme is a legitimately pretty cool composition.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

furry drum circle posted:

maybe like 10 hours? Really have no idea. It gets easier after Zelse since I'll have a ton of hp/defense by then and my water will heal for quite a bit.

Ask your doctor about Autism

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

uPen posted:

:wtc:
I'm really interested to see if this can be replicated and used.

you don't receive PMs but I'm wondering what the gently caress the deal is with the link in your avatar.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
sounds not very useful for a speedrun, but very useful I'm sure for a slow run.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Deku Tree as Adult Link is nothing new. I'm pretty sure the current MST route does that.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have you guys started keeping video at its actual resolution? The diablo 2 run for instance is devastatingly ugly. The dude put all his WIPs on YouTube and you can see it so much better. Is the redesign going to ditch the black background/white text for something more modern and readable? This post reads a bit rudely I think so I must apologize. I really do enjoy and appreciate SDA and it's a lot of work you guys are doing just because you like to.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

UraniumAnchor posted:

Are you watching the high quality versions or the embedded flash versions? The high quality stuff should be at the native resolution, but the flash version is "medium quality", which is almost always scaled down. If it's not that, then I have no idea, because I remember watching the D2 runs and thinking they looked fine.

That must be it. I always go for the embedded flash because streaming is the way to go these days. I don't want to have to download an hour of video before I can begin watching any of it and I don't need to store any of this stuff on my hard drive. I can try streaming the hq mp4 in safari I guess.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

I keep planning a speedrun of System Shock and never actually doing it.

I'm pretty sure I have the skills, I just need the time. And to actually finish my mapping program so I can plan a good route.

It's kind of disheartening to know that it'll never be accepted by SDA, too. :smith:
why wouldn't it get accepted?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess running DOS games to their standards is a pain in the rear end. Like you might have to get an old PC that runs DOS and connect the video out to a capture card. No DOSBox allowed :tinfoil:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A pretty impressive improvement to Link's Awakening just went up.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JavaJesus posted:

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned in here yet, but it looks like there's been a new warp found in Ocarina of Time. If I remember Cosmo's explanation of it in his stream, when you beat Queen Gohma you play a bottle like an ocarina at the edge of the warp, and that lets you run around inside the Deku Tree. Then if you enter a nearby door on the right frame you'll be warped to Ganon's castle with Ganondorf already having been defeated, letting you do the castle escape and Ganon fight as Child Link. Sockfolder is practicing it and figuring out timing right now!

:wtc: I can't believe all the poo poo that has happened to this game in the last 7 years I've watched speedruns of it. 7 years in the temple of fags

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So ZFG wrapped up tonight with a really sad freeze. I guess having boulders drop on you in the castle as a kid sometimes freezes the game. Still, he got 25:48 and that was with a few glaring mistakes. Pretty cool.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't brag about how unbreakable your game is unless your goal is to get people to break it.
Also, honestly, why spend the time to fix bugs that don't affect the game for anyone playing normally but make the game more interesting for speedrunners?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The route is really really interesting in this new MST video. Definitely worth checking out. I think it's more interesting than any%; there's only so many times you can watch someone stream hoping for their perfect 22 minutes of gameplay but failing over and over.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think sub 20 is possible in the current route (human minimum has been estimated at sub 22 and we will see what the upcoming TAS gets) and with so little actually happening it's hard to find places to save time. The most likely thing I can think of to shave it lower would be a faster way to get the ocarina items glitch than the bottle in kakariko, or a faster way to get there. If only it could be activated with a stick or something..

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not to mention climbing the wall and skipping to the second web. I love how the run is so short that we could pretty much break down every maneuver.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HKR posted:

That being said, let's not ruin SGDQ because of him. Goons should pool together and raise a bounty to get him to publicly apologize to his mom.

For some reason I thought this would be paid to the guy instead of to cancer prevention. Duhhhh.
I was going to say something about how we shouldn't post about this personal drama, but hey, it's kinda fun. The organizers are probably dumb for inviting him.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah, it's really stupid. but I guess the 10 minute credit sequence is a good time for cyg to take a break after finishing an attempt. then there's the bunny in the japanese guy's recording.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
has he announced the time? It shouldn't take long to encode, being so short..

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What I find a little sad is that his efforts have improved the world record by one second at this point.. in a run over 3 hours long. He could not have picked a more cruel luck-dependent game to do in a single segment. Hope he gets a good run tomorrow.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He had a small strategy improvement compared to the previous world record holder. The standard strategy is to go through this tunnel on the path to Monstro Town 3 times, intentionally dying to reset a chest that contains an invincibility star. You keep the experience but everything else, I think including coins, chest contents and story events reverts. He did only 2 runs and made the experience difference up somehow.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn't see the SMRPG play today but I have to say I feel a little let down by the marathon. Not exactly his fault, because you can't control for luck and you just never know what you're going to get. But one second off the WR.. After so much preparation, that's sad. He had a $500 fundraising goal and received $620, so that part went well for him.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
OoT any% is getting so dull. The same extremely short route again and again. I guess ZFG has finally gotten his run, after over 300 attempts. It's been smashed enough by now. I think WW is really interesting right now and I want to see Cosmo smash sub 6 when he gets that game boy cable.

brap fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 8, 2012

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean, the glitch has major applications in TP because it starts you with Epona, a sword and shield immediately. Link's title screen state in WW is completely identical to that of a new game.

It would be nice to play WW again, but gently caress me if it's not expensive. It's almost $40 on amazon right now. I'm surprised Nintendo never put out a $20 player's choice version or whatever.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cosmo's got a chipin up with a $3184 goal-- the cost in rupees of having tingle decipher all the charts. Pretty gutsy.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Not sure how I feel about this.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think he might not have much intention of playing Japanese. The differences are that the cabana deed skip is harder or impossible (can't remember) and the ghost ship contains a regular treasure chart, which sends you on a string of treasure charts to finally get the triforce chart. He put a FAQ on pastebin somewhere. There is SO much time to save in the run though. I'll bet sub 5:40 with tuner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
:woop: about 10-15 minutes, but I'll bet the sequence breaks also help limit fuckups occurring on the course of the normal dungeon route. All you have to do with the zombie poo poo is just get good at mashing, which he was doing with the helmaroc king skip.

• Locked thread