Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I suppose you now get to name a bunch of new vassals for the conquered lands? If so, will they be loyal or will your bad reputation just make the more knives at the Sultan's throat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

NihilCredo posted:

I suppose you now get to name a bunch of new vassals for the conquered lands? If so, will they be loyal or will your bad reputation just make the more knives at the Sultan's throat?

Loyalty of lords starts at 100, but can quickly deteriorate depending on personal traits, sovereign's skills, reputation etc. Appointing new counts should somewhat reduce the horrendous reputation Azerbaijan has, so hopefully they won't become a threat immediately.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Loyalty of lords starts at 100, but can quickly deteriorate depending on personal traits, sovereign's skills, reputation etc. Appointing new counts should somewhat reduce the horrendous reputation Azerbaijan has, so hopefully they won't become a threat immediately.

Wiz already foreshadowed his death. This sultan is bred for war, peace will be the death of him.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I would recommend a few extortion wars, declaring on a rich neighbor and rather than taking land aim for taking money. Once your coffers are full again try to grab some more land from the poorer neighbors. We have a high (relatively) marshal ruler who is probably going to have alot of kids, our goal should be to grab as much territory as possible so each of his children is left with as much land as possible.

Realistically, with Semisalic Gavelkind we can really only hope to survive CK, not beat it. We can't build an empire, we can only reshape our corner of the world to where we have friendly neighbor states with relatives on the throne. Every 20-30 years we are going to get knocked back to a 15 province kingdom.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

NihilCredo posted:

I already did. This is our reputation AFTER handing out titles.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wiz posted:

Oh crap. Well... I suppose that the King might have a "hunting accident" and leave the whole mess to his blameless son.

Speaking of which, how many kids does this guy have? If it's just the one, having him pull a General Patton might be the best route for everyone.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Zeroisanumber posted:

Oh crap. Well... I suppose that the King might have a "hunting accident" and leave the whole mess to his blameless son.

Speaking of which, how many kids does this guy have?

Yeah, that would fix the reputation but handing over an unwieldy empire with disloyal vassals to a baby is a recipe for realm duress.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Wiz posted:

Oh. ...oh dear.

Welp, it looks like it's time for Rebellion Crush-O-Rama!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Yeah, just murdering people is usually the safest way of dealing with this kind of thing.

Also, I hope you freed Medina?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zeroisanumber posted:

Speaking of which, how many kids does this guy have?

I'm afraid that if the king dies, we can look forward to getting the Realm duress event or some other form of civil war / secession chain. Besides, most of the remaining reputation would be inherited.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

steinrokkan posted:

I'm afraid that if the king dies, we can look forward to getting the Realm duress event or some other form of civil war / secession chain. Besides, most of the remaining reputation would be inherited.
Here's the good news: If he dies with multiple heirs, the kingdom gets divided up anyway thanks to gavelkind.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Nevets posted:

Yeah, that would fix the reputation but handing over an unwieldy empire with disloyal vassals to a baby is a recipe for realm duress.

Who would also receive part of his father's reputation iirc.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Then I guess we're down to Plan B, "Punch everyone until they shut the hell up".

It's a good plan. It's simple, elegant, and leaves nothing behind but the sweet scent of Brut.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
So I leave for two days, and we completely reverse our position. Guess I need to go camping more.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
This should be...interesting.

Good luck crushing all the revolts sure to spring up now! :haw:

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007
Got tired of Palin. You're welcome.
Do the inheritance rules change how badboy gets passed on? I always thought it was just a 25% reduction when the current ruler dies.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
That was a nice sweep of the heathens. Imagine; saving up for a war, then having it and then stopping while you're ahead.

Well, ahead land-wise, those unfaithful will take a few years to bring around.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 6: Conqueror (1230 - 1240)

With Jerusalem beaten, Ertan, now surnamed 'the Conqueror' next turns his attention to the tiny Sultanate of Syria, desiring the title of Sultan of Syran for himself and his heirs.

The many vassals in Ertan's vast empire have seen the power of their overlord grow to monstrous proportions, even as he continues to demand higher and higher tributes of gold and manpower to support his wars. Even though he has retaken the dome of the rock, the Beys, Sheiks and Emirs have had enough of his wars and tyranny. The revolts begin with the Sheik of Tripoli declaring independence...

... and quickly spread.

The Sultan of Syria is brought to heel, but the revolts continue to spread, and Ertan is forced to act. Since coming into his rule, he has yet to even visit his Persian provinces and has little interest in ruling them, wishing instead to rest his armies and then press south towards Medina.

To try and placate his vassals, he divides up his empire between his relatives. His eldest son receives the title to Persia, and is sent to Khorasan along with a regent that is to rule the country until he comes of age.

A similar arrangement is made for his younger son, who is proclaimed Sultan of Syria, and given rulership over much of the newly conquered land.

His cousin, the son and heir of Kasim, is given the title of Sultan of Khwarizm and rulership of the lands north of Merv.

Unfortunately, the plan backfires almost immediately as the Emirs of Mazaran and Bukhara rise up in revolt.

What's more, his concessions fail to placate his remaining vassals, who continue to rise up against him.

His youngest son passes away at the tender age of 2, forcing Ertan to once again take rulership of Syria and try to quell the growing revolts there.

After months of fierce fighting, he defeats two rebellious Beys on the borders of Azerbaijan.

The constant fighting is draining Azerbaijan's coffers, and Ertan takes out a large loan from Jewish bankers to finance his attempts to retake Syria.

Even with this loan, Azerbaijan's finances are hopelessly insolvent.

The campaign to quell the revolts in Syria is a failre, and in 1233 Ertan is forced to make peace with the Syrian rebels, triggering another declaration of independence from the Emir of Damascus.

Ertan's realm is at peace at last. Looted, impoverished and rife with mercenaries and bandits, the civil war has left Azerbaijan in tatters, and the local sheiks under Ertan's ruler offer to help stabilize the realm. Unwilling to admit that he needs them, Ertan refuses.

He chooses instead to bully the Ulema, threatening with mass seizures of their properties and funds if they do not help him restore order.

Some good news arrive in 1234 as the Emirate of Mecca conquers Medina, restoring the second holiest city in Islam to the faith, though both holy cities remain threatened by Antioch and Jerusalem.

In the north, a resurgent Cuman has defeated Georgia and annexed Alania, greatly reducing the threat posed to Azerbaijan from that direction.

What's more, no further crusade can be expected from Germany, as Barbarossa's great-grandson is an insane clown who has managed to plunge the Holy Roman Empire into civil war.

Ertan waits patiently, paying off his debts, filling his coffers and strengthening his ties to his remaining vassals. By 1237, he feels that his reptutation is once again at such a level that he can begin reasserting his rule in Syria.

First to feel his wrath is the Emir of Damascus, as Ertan marches an army 15000 strong into the Emir's territory and forces him to submit to Ertan's rule and provide his sons as hostages as a guarantee for his loyalty.

Next to be attacked are the Sheiks of Jerusalem and Amman, who are given a similar treatment.

Seeing the way the wind is blowing, the remaining former vassals of Ertan hasten to Jerusalem to make their submission before him.

In a mere six months, Ertan has reasserted control of Syria, and now turns his attention north.

The Duchy of Antioch is attacked, their army defeated, and their northern territories seized.

He next turns his armies on the remnants of the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

A rump state that controls a smattering of impovished desert territories, Jerusalem is in no position to mount an effective defense, and their castles fall one by one to Ertan's armies. A small relief army from Italy makes a last stand at Ascalon, but ultimately such gestures are futile, and Jerusalem is wiped off the map.

The final holdouts of the Duchy of Antioch are next, falling in a matter of months, and at long last Ertan has achieved his great goal - the crusader states established during the First Crusade are no more.

The Ildeguzid dynasty now controls a vast region, stretching from Sinai to the Aral Sea, and it seems as though the first phase of Ertan's conquering dreams have come true. He returns to Azerbaijan and begins to plan the next phase, the conquest of Egypt, and from there, the invasion of Italy to strike at the heart of christendom. He expects that his vassals will once again begin to make trouble, but with Jerusalem defeated, Georgia cowed and Byzantium passive, what possible enemy could there be to exploit the divisions within his empire?

Who could be so foolish as to want to challenge Ertan, the greatest conqueror of his age?

World Map

Wiz fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 3, 2011

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Shall we start writing the obituaries, then?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Missed uploading one screenshot. Added now.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Oh boy. What's the chance of a mega-pagan Finland taking all their attention this time?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

sniper4625 posted:

Oh boy. What's the chance of a mega-pagan Finland taking all their attention this time?

None. Pagan Kingdom of Finland was wiped out by Novgorod.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Gain Gigantic Empire Through Marriage -> Have War, Gain More Land -> Lose All Land In Revolt -> Kill All The Christians -> Golden Horde Shows Up.

I feel like making a flowchart for any Paradox game would be fruitless. All roads would eventually lead to "hosed Again!" And that is why I love them.

Keep 'em comin' Wiz. (Preferably without being ruled by the filthy hordes.) :ohdear:

(Hmm, maybe I should actually try playing a mega-campaign and writing a flowchart all the way through and see what it looks like. . .)

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 11, 2011

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

dun dun DUNNNNNNN!!

No, I don't have anything better to add.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
This whole Mongol fad is probably gonna blow over in a matter of months, I wouldn't worry.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The way this is going, the Mongols will instantly declare on Azerbaijan and get wiped out by Ertan's massive army. Then we'll get a massive cholera outbreak, revolts, rebellions and somehow we'll end up holding one small province in oh... let's say Denmark.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
No, no no you sillies, you don't understand.

Our country is golden on the map.

We are the Golden Horde.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Well...poo poo. This could be a slight problem.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Well, now we have no choice but to invade Italy. Then we can hide out there while the Golden Horde fucks up the entire Middle East, and periodically send scouts to check if it's safe to go back.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
God has granted Ertan victory against the Western heathens, now let the Eastern heathens come and face the sword of Islam.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Man, I got that sinking feeling like when a character on a TV describes what they're going to do with their future... and you know there's no reason the writer would have the character say what they'd do and then go on and show them doing just that, so you know that something's going to go horribly wrong or they'll die or something.

Well, you're in a better position for this than I thought you'd be after the last update.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Added a world map to the update.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Wiz posted:

Added a world map to the update.

What the hell happened to France?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rarity posted:

What the hell happened to France?

Total disintegration by the looks of it.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Wow, you're evil. I'm cheering for the Mongols.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
So, what exactly can the Hordes do that makes them such a huge pain ? Never played CK myself so I've got no idea. Do they get free provinces, insane bonuses. The only thing mentioned was that they have no problem controlling all the land without feudal chit-chat.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

skipThings posted:

So, what exactly can the Hordes do that makes them such a huge pain ? Never played CK myself so I've got no idea. Do they get free provinces, insane bonuses. The only thing mentioned was that they have no problem controlling all the land without feudal chit-chat.
I'm not sure if Wiz's mod is different, but generally they don't suffer attrition (and your forces still suffer attrition caused by their hordes) and they can occasionally receive massive armies from off-map to represent new Hordes. Another LP I read had the Kingdom of Jerusalem knock the il-Khanate down to a single province... that suddenly got 60,000 new men and utterly hosed him for awhile.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

skipThings posted:

They control all their territory, don't get attrition, and get 100000+ man armies to play around with.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
Event Superpowers, the worst kind of bonus, thanks for clarifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ras Het posted:

Wow, you're evil. I'm cheering for the Mongols.

Ertan is Lustful, Vengeful, Selfish, Cruel, Energetic, Proud and Indulgent.

No, he is not a nice person. Not a nice person at all.

• Locked thread