Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Well, I'm glad I'm not the one playing the game! :v:

I've also added a mechanic so that once the Mongols conquer a very large area they 'settle', meaning they shift lose Mongol superpowers, make peace with everyone and turn into a regular empire. Without this it seems like they always either conquer everything or disappear completely.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Wiz posted:

I've also added a mechanic so that once the Mongols conquer a very large area they 'settle', meaning they shift away from Mongol culture, make peace with everyone and turn into a regular empire. Without this it seems like they always either conquer everything or disappear completely.

Do they also adapt to Christianity/Islam or do they stay Pagans?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Patter Song posted:

That's a separate thing.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Patter Song posted:

Jewish Great Khans please.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
^Mongol Khazaria plz

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 7: The Scourge (1240 - 1250)

The rebellions against Ertan's new round conquests begin almost immediately, and he is forced to focus his attention on keeping his realm together...

... even as tales reach Azerbaijan of barbarian hordes conquering all before them to the north and east.

Enflamed by Ertan's bullying and property seizures, an influentual Kurdish Imam preaches that Ertan is a demon in man's shape and that it is the duty of all Muslims to rise up in rebellion and overthrow his rule. Ertan has the Imam arrested and executed, sparking a violent rebellion in Kurdistan.

The Kingdom of Georgia collapses quickly before the might of the Golden Horde and by spring of 1241, the Mongols are on Ertan's doorstep.

The revolts continue to spread and as Ertan is in Kurdistan surpressing the peasant risings there, an old dervish that used to reside at his father's court visits the castle where he is staying. The dervish proceeds to amuse Ertan with his whirling dance and tales of Murad, but as night as Ertan has retreated to his bedchamber, the dervish sneaks into his room and cuts the throat of the Conqueror. When the guards rush into the room and cut him down, the old dervish's last words are extatic proclamations that the demon is dead at long last.

With Ertan dead, the realm is split, his elder son in Persia getting Azerbaijan and the scattered Arabian holdings, while his younger son gets Syria and Jerusalem.

The new Sultan of Azerbaijan and Persia is Aydin Ildeguzid, a quiet, humble young man with an exceptional talent for intrigue.

He is already engaged in a brutal war with the Mongol invaders of the Il-Khanate, and quickly travels to Azerbaijan to raise troops to reinforce his faltering armies in Persia.

The Mongols are concentrating the main thrust of their advance on Southern Persia and Aydin manages to sneak in a small army behind their lines in an attempt to liberate Bukhara.

The ploy succeeds, and though one of the Mongol armies wheels around almost immediately to retake the territory, Aydin has at least bought some time.

Time to assemble his armies and go on the offensive.

His main force encounters a Mongol army outside Mazaradan. The battle is bloody, and though the Mongols are forced to retreat, they shower Aydin's armies with arrows as they do so before vanishing into the hills. Aydin has carried the day, but has lost a third of his army and is in no position to continue the offensive into Persia.

He withdraws to Azerbaijan, leaving Persia to its fate and hoping that the Abbasid Caliph will do better.

As his troops rest in Gilan, a massive Mongol army from Bukhara takes him completely by surprise by sailing across the Caspian and attacking his encamped forces.

The battle is a slaughter. Nine-tenths of Aydin's army is killed, and he himself is trampled beneath a Mongol horse as he attempts to lead the retreat.

With their Sultan dead, Mongol hordes advancing into Azerbaijan and the new Sultan an ill two-year old boy, Aydin's court chooses to flee rather than stand and fight, escaping into Syria, where Sultan Ilgazi grants them a safe haven at Beirut.

Marshal Süleyman takes charge of the remnants of Aydin's empire as Regent, though at this point there is little that can be done.

The last outposts in Azerbaijan fall to the Il-Khanate in summer of 1245.

A few months later, Baghdad falls, though the Abbasid Caliph escapes in the nick of time.

As if the Mongols weren't enough, in spring of 1247 the Pope proclaims the Fourth Crusade against Jerusalem with the intent of recapturing the city.

Realizing that Beirut is no longer safe, Süleyman makes plans to acquire a new safe haven for the young Sultan, from where Azerbaijan and Persia can one day be retaken. He gathers all the troops he can muster, some 4500 men in total.

The troops are sent to invade Limisol, the western half of Cyprus, where an independent Catholic Count rules.

The Count bravely defends his lands, but is chanceless against the superior forces of Süleyman, and Limisol is conquered.

This proves to be in the nick of time, as the first waves of Crusaders make landfall in Alexandretta.

Süleyman arranges for a martial education for Sultan Tanrivermis, hoping it will prepare him for the wars that will inevitable mark his rule.

By 1249, the Il-Khanate has finished conquering all lands still loyal to Tanrivermis east of Syria, and the war with the Mongols is over for now.

The defeat could not be more total. Though Tanrivermas still holds the titles Sultan of Azerbaijan and Persia, his only lands are Beirut and Limisol, and he has no vassals. A Sultan in exile, all he has left is a few loyal men and the dream of one day returning to the lands of his forefathers.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 7, 2011

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Wow. We go from a tiny little country to the defenders of Islam to an even tinier country in two reigns.

Looks like we can only pray to Allah that the Anatolian nations can force back the mongols leaving us a long mission to reconquer our land.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Hopefully the Crusaders and the Mongols grind each other to dust while we hide out on this island full of heretics.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So, uh, how long until the Mongols stop getting reinforcements?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pakled posted:

So, uh, how long until the Mongols stop getting reinforcements?

The Il-Khanate just settled, so they're changing into a regular empire now (not that that makes them harmless or anything mind you). Golden Horde is still mongol specialty though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
:stare:
Well, that was faster than I expected.
At least you don't have to worry about vassals anymore.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Wiz posted:

The Il-Khanate just settled, so they're changing into a regular empire now (not that that makes them harmless or anything mind you). Golden Horde is still mongol specialty though.

I take it they wouldn't have made peace if they hadn't settled? Did you give the Mongols and the Il-Khanate different province limits before becoming settled?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
This is pretty much "Mongols: The Update". I was unprepared.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Munin posted:

I take it they wouldn't have made peace if they hadn't settled? Did you give the Mongols and the Il-Khanate different province limits before becoming settled?

Mongols have unlimited demesne. Settled Mongols do not.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

You know what we should do? We should Island hop around the Mediterraen, picking up all the Islands (crete, corsica, various greek islands) then attack Rome itself!

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Munin posted:

Did you have to mod yourself into Beirut, or was that some kind of "I like my family enough to give them land" event ?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

You know what we should do? We should Island hop around the Mediterraen, picking up all the Islands (crete, corsica, various greek islands) then attack Rome itself!

Or better, sail to the lands of Novgorod in the north, then march south towards Azerbaijan itself!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Well now this is becoming eerily reminiscent of Crete. Our little island shall emerge victorious yet again! :shobon:

The second the Empire starts to fracture we need to sail to Crete. From there we shall start anew!

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

skipThings posted:

Did you have to mod yourself into Beirut, or was that some kind of "I like my family enough to give them land" event ?

I inherited it from some random cousin about a year before the big Mongol attack. Stroke of luck really, otherwise I'd have had to flee to one of the dirt-poor provinces in Arabia.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Old World foolishly rejected Muhammad's teachings, it's time to relocate to Iceland so the chosen people of Azerbaijan can establish a new Islamic empire in the Americas as soon as EUIII starts.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
That was awesome, and Europe's in a great state to fight a Crusade! :v Though for reals, Sicily is the new HRE I guess.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Wow, this LP updates fast. Thanks a lot Wiz!

And it looks like the Christians have been victorious in their Reconquista.

Kanthulhu fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 11, 2011

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Not since the height of the Crusaders' power has there been as dark a day for the faithful. In Iberia the Christians have all but driven out the Almohads, and look to the West, Naples-Sicily, Bulgaria, Poland, large territories and powerful rulers; while the Azeri, once the champions of Islam, are scattered or subjugated. And now England is back, may they spit many Mongols on their lances before dying themselves.

At least Mecca and Medina still rest in the hands of the faithful

(I hope I'm reading that right, is dark blue Sultanate of Syria?)

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kanthulhu posted:

Wow, this LP updates fast. Thanks a lot Wiz!

And it looks like the Christians have been victorious in their Reconquista.

My girlfriend is away until Monday, best friend is in Seattle until Sunday, and the weather is utterly miserable here. You can expect 1-2 updates a day until Monday basically, then it will slow down a lot.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Well the dynasty is still alive and considering the starting point is so close to the Mongols thats as good a victory as any.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

What scares me the most right now is that at any moment Byzantium might decide that they want the whole of Cyprus. They look healthy and the Mongols still have a while to go before they slap them.

Also, Naples is doing a mighty fine job. How long until they claim the Iron Crown of Italy and/or get elected Emperors?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Servetus posted:

(I hope I'm reading that right, is dark blue Sultanate of Syria?)

Yeah, ruled by our uncle.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Are there any cool dynasties going on in Europe?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

By the way, was France completely destroyed or does someone still hold the title?

Don't want a free Britanny, you know...

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Frionnel posted:

By the way, was France completely destroyed or does someone still hold the title?

King of Bohemia holds it, for some reason. He also holds the title to Burgundy.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Wiz posted:

Mongols have unlimited demesne. Settled Mongols do not.

Sorry, I was asking about the trigger for them being settled, not the demesne limit.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

okand posted:

Are there any cool dynasties going on in Europe?

A few!

Interesting Dynasties in 1250
The d'Aragon dynasty are pretty big winners so far. Apart from producing a lot of brilliant Kings, they've also managed to displace the Angevin dynasty and take the throne of England.

Another badass dynasty are the Montecadas, who have conquered themselves a huge Duchy controlling most of Southern France, Navarra and bits of Aragon and Castille.

The Hautevilles have managed to vassalise pretty much all of Italy, and the only reason they're not Kings of Lombardy in addition to Naples and Sicily is because the King of Germany still holds that title.

The King of Bohemia, nephew of the crazy King of Germany, is somehow also King of Burgundy and France.

And finally, a bulgar kid sits on the Byzantine throne.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Wiz posted:

King of Bohemia holds it, for some reason. He also holds the title to Burgundy.

So the strip of land starting above Piedmont and continuing all the way up to the north actually belongs to Bohemia and not Sicily? Yay.

Edit: But the Přemyslids are dead already. Huh.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

So the strip of land starting above Piedmont and continuing all the way up to the north actually belongs to Bohemia and not Sicily? Yay.

Yeah.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
This is the punishment you get for loaning money, we never should've done it! Now Allah has taught us a lesson we will never forget.

Let's loan more money so that we can fund an army to take over the land of our ancestors! :v:

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Frionnel posted:

Don't want a free Britanny, you know...

This is heresy. :colbert:

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Clearly Brittany should declare itself a Kingdom now, along with the other Duchies of France who have been freed from the slavery of their feudal contracts.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gorgo Primus posted:

Clearly Brittany has been free long enough to declare itself a Kingdom now, along with the other Duchies of France - freed from the slavery of their feudal contracts.

OK, that's it, i'm removing the Duchy of Brittany and making the area a part of Normandy.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

What are the chances of the current Azeri sultan inheriting his uncle's title to Syria and reunifying what's left of Ertan's empire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Terrifying Effigies posted:

What are the chances of the current Azeri sultan inheriting his uncle's title to Syria and reunifying what's left of Ertan's empire?

Low. He's pretty far down in the succession to Syria.

• Locked thread