Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

YeOldeButchere posted:

I feel like this would probably be the most argued over part of the mod by Paradox posters. The ones that are actually arguing, that is. Then again perhaps EU: Rome has left them with a sour enough taste they wouldn't be won over.

I would like to think that by 1400 troops are significantly better than Roman Legions were!
Though the idea of Paradox forumers taking the mod seriously amuses me.

As for the Omany colonist, I guess they had a costal trade province or a horde trying to give them hugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chariot
Aug 24, 2010

Dr. Tough posted:

Sounds like somebody needs to delete their map cache.

Nah, everything's been going fine otherwise, and this was in the mid-late 1600s. They've also expanded around Africa and into Indonesia.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it wouldn't be hard for even an AI Oman to get a colonist. It's the range that's the issue. Usually when AI Muslims get colonists they waste them on that stupid province in Somalia (you know the one).

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 22: Plague (1580 - 1590)

Nasir focuses his efforts on the capital, throwing vast sums of money on the development of irrigation, counting-houses and a regimental camp.

The border frictions between the colonial powers of Europe erupts into outright war in 1583, as Espanya declares war on Portugal, and the British-Dutch alliances declares on Espanya in response, plunging most of the New World into war.

A delegation from an Armenian Muslim resistance group arrives in Tabriz in 1584, explaining confidently that all of Eastern Armeniacould be under their control before the end of the year if only they had money and equipment. Always happy to dig into the treasury, Nasir supplies them with guns and gold. A few months later, news arrive that the resistance has been utterly crushed in their first battle against the Armenian army.

Nasir also takes time to execute one of his bailiffs who had been accused of stealing from the crown.

The discovery of a massive vein of gold in the Alanian mines fills the treasury with newly stamped coins...

... which Nasir spends almost as quickly as it comes in.

An outbreak of bubonic plague strikes Tabriz in 1588, wreaking havoc in the city and killing thousands, despite the best efforts of Nasir to quarantine infected neighbourhoods. Nasir's council advises him to flee the city and wait out the plague at his Caspian palace, but Nasir refuses to leave the city, tirelessly issuing ordinances and upholding the quarantine even as his courtiers and bureaucrats flee the city.

In the end, his choice to stay costs him his life, as the plague penetrates the palace walls. Two days after getting infected, Nasir starts coughing blood, and a day later he passes away.

His son Aram, who fled Tabriz at the first outbreak of the plague, is crowned Sultan at the Caspian Palace near Baku. He was named for his mild-mannered predecessor, and seems to have inherited that predecessor's personality along with the name. Like his father, he is a worldly man, and a peerless administrator and diplomat, but he is also known as a coward who avoids everything to do with war and physical exercise.

Once news reach Russia of the chaos in Tabriz and of Aram's ascent on the throne, omnious rumblings come from the northern border. Russia cancels its treaties of military access with Azerbaijan, and reports speak of troops being massed on the border. Aram dismisses these reports, saying that the Russian ambassador has assured him that Russia would never imperil its friendship with Azerbaijan.

With the plague still ravaging Tabriz, the Shura is summoned to Baku in 1590 to discuss the development of government policies. Though many councillors have suggested investments and reforms in the military to meet the Russian threat, Aram vetoes each such suggestion, bringing forward his own proposals instead.

Option A: Cabinet
The permanent establishment of the Shura as an advisory body would allow the Sultan to draw on their expertise in diplomatic matters, expanding the diplomatic options available to him.

Option B: Bill of Rights
Instead of focusing on rights for particular religious groups, Aram has suggested granting fundamental rights to the entire population such as the right not to be imprisoned without trial and freedom from forced lodging by the military.

Option C: National Bank
Finally, the return of an option that needs no introduction. Inflation is currently around 10.

:siren: When voting, use one of the following three icons to indicate which option you prefer :siren:

code:
[img]http://www.shardsofdalaya.com/images/azeri_lp/icona.png[/img]
[img]http://www.shardsofdalaya.com/images/azeri_lp/iconb.png[/img]
[img]http://www.shardsofdalaya.com/images/azeri_lp/iconc.png[/img]
Vote lasts 24 hours as always.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 12, 2011

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Oh poo poo we need diplomacy now.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 12, 2011

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Let's not repeat Hohen-mistakes.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

B is the best option for a tolerance oriented state like ourselves.

Zero grinder
Sep 25, 2010
Fun Shoe
What's our inflation at?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
sniper4625 B AZERI_ICON_B Bill of Rights are great.
nimby B AZERI_ICON_B Let's not repeat Hohen-mistakes.
Kanthulhu B AZERI_ICON_B B is the best option for a tolerance oriented state like ourselves.

Magrov you are the best.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Azerbaijan shall be a shining torch to the world

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Zero grinder posted:

What's our inflation at?

10 inflation.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

This, plus tolerance, should help keep the religious minorities happy.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Oh jeeze, Russia is about to push our poo poo in aren't they? :ohdear:

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011
Tolerators! :argh:

Voting for the best choice.

Zero grinder
Sep 25, 2010
Fun Shoe

Wiz posted:

10 inflation.

Oh in that case:

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Oh jeeze, Russia is about to push our poo poo in aren't they? :ohdear:

Yeah im getting worried that they have a mission against us.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

A Bill of Rights would be pretty good.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

As much as we talk about tolerance and rights they haven't been solidified as law yet. Let's fix that.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Zero grinder posted:

Yeah im getting worried that they have a mission against us.

Their current mission is: 'Attack Azerbaijan'.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The conflict with Russia is currently merely one of words. With a full Cabaret we can ensure that it does not become anything more. After all, Azerbaijan cannot tolerate anything if our lands are held by the Russians!

Edit: Or at least allow us to get a league of allies with which to oppose them. Azerbaijan cannot stand alone against the Russian threat!

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."

Power to the people already in charge!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Because seriously, of course we would vote to increase our own influence in the state.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Bill of Rights is a very good idea and seems to coast to victory from the outset. So I'll vote to make a point about Cabinet which I hope we'll see up for vote again (if it doesn't win this time around). We're far from a superpower and surrounded by three powers that are at least our equals. To balance or eliminate this threat a boost to diplomacy, allowing us to keep relations with our neighbors high or at least make allies who can help us against them, is a very, very good thing.

Fake edit: seems like there are actually more people thinking like that.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

mo' money mo' troops

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

When Moscow falls, we shall be greeted as tolerators!

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe

As tempting as a Bill of Rights would be, Russia's looming presence makes diplomacy of the utmost necessity.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

A worldly, tolerant leader in charge of the most welcoming, diverse country in Asia? Of course he would aim to safeguard the privileges of the masses.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Will we expose the wonderful people of Azerbaijan to the whims of those in power, simply out of fear of the Russian? This too shall pass. I have confidence in our army and diplomacy as it is. This can simply not wait.

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.

Gotta get our inflation under control, or the other nations won't take our toleration seriously.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Because I don't want to die. I'm hoping that they might be too busy recovering from the plague to declare war against our cowardly leader, but oh my Muhammad.

Ogianres
Oct 21, 2008

Just kinda hoping to see what will happen with a medium power chuggin' along just trying to make the best with what it's got.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

No comment, just diplomacy, or Russia's gonna gently caress us like a furry fucks your childhood.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
What the heck just happened to northern China? Mongols revolted back from Qi, Korea gets pushed back again, Qi takes Beijing? And Tibet is alive again? Did Bhutan just revolt out?

Just a couple more French minors for Burgundy to snack on now!

Sweden's colonial empire is ended. And the Brits lost the islands at the end of the world to the Dutch.

No more stripey East African coast.

Alas Aztec, we knew you not at all.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Capitalism, or being more tolerant oh god I don't know. I like money.

a group of like minded individuals composed of the most powerful men of Azerbaijan.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

You know what Azerbaijan needs? More tolerance. If the Russians should come with their infidel armies, then we must be there, ready to tolerate them.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Snipee posted:

Because I don't want to die. I'm hoping that they might be too busy recovering from the plague to declare war against our cowardly leader, but oh my Muhammad.

They didn't get the plague. We got the plague. It's a provincial event, not a country/worldwide thing.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 12, 2011

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

May Allah bless our diplomats.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Holy poo poo let's get Syria and Persia on board for our inevitable war against Russia.

General Antares
Sep 5, 2011

There be corundium up in them thar asteroids!!!

We'll need the boost to our diplomacy and although I like the concept of having a bill of rights the particular bonuses it gives aren't that important to us right now.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Throw the plebs a bone. If it means fewer revolts compromising our defenses when Russia invades, then I'm all for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

voting for

because I dont want Azerbaijan to get eated :(

• Locked thread