Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Wiz posted:

OK, that's it, i'm removing the Duchy of Brittany and making the area a part of Normandy.

This LP is now the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hmmm. What did those two regicides do with our reputation levels, then? I'd amateurishly guess we are somewhere around tarnished?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Hmmm. What did those two regicides do with our reputation levels, then? I'd amateurishly guess we are somewhere around tarnished?

Honourable.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Mother of god. The reversals and turnabouts are so numerous it's just, just, there's no words for it.

How easy would it be at this point to retake the Azeri mainland? Well, not right now when there's a well-established Il-Khanate on it and a still superhorde Golden Horde to the north of it, but if they fracture, would it even be realistic for our 2PM kingdom-in-exile to reconquer its ancestral lands?

Because honestly, with one of our provinces being a half of an island whose other half is owned by a strong Byzantium, and a single province sitting on the Levant during a crusade, and with no good chances for inheriting pretty much anything, survival seems to be near-impossible now.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

From rags to riches to half a rag. At least our dynasty is fairing well...

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Maybe we can convince the Crusaders that Jesus abhors violence.

Edit: also I'm guessing this Fourth Crusade isn't going to get hung up in Greece.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
Since the Il Khanate is settled and owns all of Azerbaijan, does that mean they're eventually usurp our title to Azerbaijan?

Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

With this turnip I am become death, the destroyer of worlds!

Cycloneman posted:

Since the Il Khanate is settled and owns all of Azerbaijan, does that mean they're eventually usurp our title to Azerbaijan?

Usurping only means they can get a claim on the title, they'd still have to march to the small amount of land we have left and take it from us. Which, clearly, is a possibility. At least I think that's how it works in CK, I can't remember.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Time to get to assassinating. Got to take your uncles lands and all.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Well that was, uhh, impressive. Any long term plans?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kem Rixen posted:

Usurping only means they can get a claim on the title, they'd still have to march to the small amount of land we have left and take it from us. Which, clearly, is a possibility. At least I think that's how it works in CK, I can't remember.

Yeah, that's true. But I'm fairly certain they are still pagans which means they would have to conquer Syria in order to reach Azerbaijan (you can only march through provinces owned by your brothers in faith, I think). So Wiz is kind of safe in that regard.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I don't think they would have much trouble conquering Syria, even while settled.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
e: Double post, sorry. I'm an idiot.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 12, 2011

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Maybe we can convince the Crusaders that Jesus abhors violence.

Edit: also I'm guessing this Fourth Crusade isn't going to get hung up in Greece.

Is it possible to have a crusade against Byzantium?

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Ras Het posted:

Well that was, uhh, impressive. Any long term plans?

Languish in poverty and constant fear of being annihilated.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Conquer Iberia, colonize new world, undergo revolution, attempt to conquer europe under the leadership of a brilliant general.

You wouldn't even need to do a conversion :-P

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
What? I cannot believe how fast that was haha. Is the Crusade going to war against the Mongols?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 8: Exile (1250 - 1260)

The Sultan of Azerbaijan and Persia, Emir of Merv, Tabriz and Azerbaijan is a Sultan-in-exile, ruling only the provinces of Beirut and Limisol. Under the tutelage of Marshal Süleyman, he is being taught all he needs to know of war to plan the reconquest of Azerbaijan.

Of course, with such a small domain, retaking his lost lands from the mighty Il-Khanat will be next to impossible. He will need the support of mighty allies, such as his uncle in Syria, or to expand his own powerbase for it to be at all feasible.

One of the few advantages of his current state is the many refugees that have fled to Beirut from the courts of his defeated former vassals, giving him access to a highly skilled council of advisors.

Regent Süleyman sets about reforming the laws of the state into a more centralized and efficient model, as there is no longer any point in sharing power with non-existant vassals.

Taxes and tolls are also raised, to make the most of what little he has to work with.

The years pass by quietly as Tanrivermis grows up, interrupted only intermittently by news from the fighting in Syria, where Tanrivermis' uncle Ilgazi is valiantly holding the Crusaders back.

Süleyman passes away from illness in 1256, and as Tanrivermis is already fourteen years old, it is determined that no new regent is needed, and he will begin running the country with the aid of the council.

Some worrying news in 1257, as the King of Armenia inherits the Principality of Cyprus, making the expansionistic kingdom a direct neighbour of Azerbaijan.

The next news to arrive are cause for celebration however - Ilgazi's defense of Jerusalem has been so successful that by the spring of 1258, the Fourth Crusade comes to an end having failed to capture anything other than Antioch and Alexandretta.

Studying under Süleyman, reading about the tactics of his grandfather and famed generals of the past such as Alexander, Caesar, Hannibal and Khālid ibn al-Walīd, he has emerged into adulthood with a superb understanding of strategy and tactics.

A vengeful and selfish man without a diplomatic bone in his body, he is in many ways similar to his grandfather, though he lacks Ertan's taste for petty cruelties.

He follows in the footsteps of his forefathers, securing a prestigious marriage with the eldest daughter of the Abbasid Caliph.

He next summons his council and explains to them his plan for reconquering his rightful lands. Since its conquest by the Crusaders, Egypt has been split into a dozen squabbling minor states. The most powerful christian lord in Egypt, the Count of Consensza and Alexandria, has recently exhausted himself in a war against the Sultan of Egypt, who still clings to a strip of land along the Nile. Alexandria would make a far stronger base for future conquests than Beirut, and war prepartions are made.

Tanrivermis secures the support of a turkish warlord and leaves with 7500 men for Alexandria.

The Count of Alexandria meets him on the field with 5000 men, but Tanrivermis outmanuevers and routs the enemy army.

After a lengthy siege, Alexandria falls, and Tanrivermis orders the court moved from Beirut to his new conquest.

With Limisol now undefended, Armenia seizes the chance and declares war.

Tanrivermis does not turn back, giving Cyprus up for lost and pressing south instead, attacking the Bishops of Quattara and Buhairya.

Limisol falls and Armenia demands Tanrivermis cede the province, which he does all too happily.

In Egypt, the twin bishops have been defeated, and next to fall is the Count of Gizeh and Al Alamayn.

Though it has cost him Limisol, Tanrivermis has conquered a large tract of land, including the fabulously wealthy city of Alexandria, and it seems like there is nothing standing between him and a total conquest of Egypt.

(No world map because very little has changed)

Wiz fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 3, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
One day we shall reclaim our home and free our peoples from under the yoke of those Eastern Demons!

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I am diagnosing this LP with schizophrenia.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
This is probably the most fascinating CK has been in an LP. Watching Azerbaijan squirm and wiggle it's way in and out of trouble is amazing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The update 7 map; Is that dark red in the bottom just a tri-sected Abbasid kingdom? And if so, what are the chances of them not being utterly massacred by the Il-Khanate?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Would be utterly fun if this somehow ends up turning into an Egypt LP because we can't take back Azerbaijan.

Either way Wiz has failed to achieve his plan on being a "backwater Muslim power" several times even before the updates hit the double digits.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
What's the religious map look like?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Orv posted:

The update 7 map; Is that dark red in the bottom just a tri-sected Abbasid kingdom? And if so, what are the chances of them not being utterly massacred by the Il-Khanate?

Yeah, that's the Abbasids. They're at peace at the moment so I really don't know if the Il-Khanate will make another go at them.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pakled posted:

What's the religious map look like?

Not a lot has changed. Steady conversion to Catholicism in Iberia, a couple provinces in Egypt have flipped to Catholic as well, but otherwise its largely as it started.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

God, we're going on a Napoleonic conquest a bit early, don't you think?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

BlackJosh posted:

This is probably the most fascinating CK has been in an LP. Watching Azerbaijan squirm and wiggle it's way in and out of trouble is amazing.
It really is. I have to say, usually CK LPs are boring to me, as it seems like most of the time it's just a series of random events and names... but the story of Azerbaijan is already incredible.

Start off as a tiny Muslim backwater in a world where the fate of Islam is looking bleak, to suddenly inheriting a vast empire, and using it to drive the Christians from the holy land, to being utterly wiped out by Mongol invaders, becoming a court in exile in a city state, and now using the skillful advisers of the lost empire Azerbaijan has taken over Egypt.

Every single twist and turn in this story has been more or less incredible.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

The people of Azerbaijan must travel the entire known world in a journey of knowledge, and only then they may come back to their ancestral land.

I'm loving all the hoping around we're having in this Lp. Where next? Morroco?

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 12, 2011

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This is the most rollercoastery LP ever. I'm loving it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm kinda hoping we end up spending 40 years wandering in the desert before winding up back in our homeland.

This LP embodies the spirit of CK probably more than any other with its constant reversals followed by great triumphs.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
We have found the solution to blobbing paradox lps - migration.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

And within a day, we've gone to riches from half a rag. Jesus Christ, at this rate we'll have retreated to Iceland and suddenly inherit the HRE two days before converting to EU III.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Azerbaijani nationalists are going to be really wierd.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Glorious Alexandria, Third Baku

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Peel posted:

I'd love to see an an Azerbaijani nationalist meet a Sjrb from the other Paradox Mega-LP. Such chaos.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

What all is modded in this game? Or it mostly just standard DVIP except for Mongol changes?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dr. Tough posted:

What all is modded in this game? Or it mostly just standard DVIP except for Mongol changes?

- Kingdoms have been fiddled with a lot.
- Some new Duchies have been added.
- Lots of events/MTTHs rebalanced.
- Pillaging is actually worthwhile.
- Mongols.

That's about it.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Peel posted:

Not any weirder than English nationalists, Richard I only spent 18 months of his reign there. But he kicked rear end overseas and hung out with troubadours and was a terribly romantic figure. I doubt we'll hold onto Alexandria for long with Gavelkind and so this will just be a story of a romantic Sultan-in Exile, longing for the land he never knew but still calls to his soul. Meanwhile there will undoubtedly be an Azeri version of Robin Hood; "discovered" in the early 19th century if one didn't already exist in folklore, who will be beating up Mongols and waiting for the true Sultan to return. Classic nationalist fairytale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
We are going to end up living the Turkish Dream of EU3 and taking over the Baltic.

• Locked thread