Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Patter Song posted:

I'm part of the shi'at Sniper. The descent in leadership of wizthreads goes down by post count in Crete thread. The heretics claiming that any pious-enough Wiz-follower can become caliph of the thread is heretical.

Indeed. God has used postcount to designate a special few to carry authority over the rest of the forums in the event of Wiz's departure, ahl beit al-LP al-Paradox. These people have been gifted with a unique gift of holy insight that makes them the most fit to lead. As the foremost member of ahl al-beit, Sniper is the only choice for successor to Wiz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Don't know about you guys but I'm going to skip straight to the mysticism.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I'm down to be an ivory tower intellectual halfheartedly trying to kludge translated neo-Platonic texts into alignment with the theology of the LP'ran.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
To my followers, make sure I give you the special voting icons that count for 100 votes apiece you always remember to brush your teeth and follow proper oral hygiene. Also you get Ops on IRC. Why? Because I'm the CaLPiph. :colbert:

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 21, 2011

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Dolash posted:

Don't know about you guys but I'm going to skip straight to the mysticism.

You're on poetry duty, then.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
And this is the point where the golden age of Wizlam fell apart leading to centuries of recriminations and conquest.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Am I the court Jester?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sooo.... Oratorical Succession, eh? He who blabs the most shall rule us? Well, it's still better than semisalic consanguinity.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 21, 2011

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Me and my army of 2000 men will take over the throne of Wiz by force!

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

I never thought of Sniper as a successor. He strikes me more like a Bismarckian character. A competent behind the scenes worker that the new ruler feels threatened by. So he is kicked out and everything goes to hell.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Christ this thread really needs an update

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I'm all for an Impyrialist takeover, personally.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Christ you guys. You win, I'll update tonight if only to put a stop to this.

Octomon
Mar 5, 2006

Unfurl the banners, discard your tools and clasp spears to your chests.

Ready yourselves my brothers, we march to slay the great bear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntVtN3g6ERM

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I think we use guns nowadays bro. Let's hope the polish do too!

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Wiz posted:

The system works. :colbert:

Octomon
Mar 5, 2006

The Saurus posted:

I think we use guns nowadays bro. Let's hope the polish do too!

Merely poetic licence, harking back to the glory days of Sultan Kasim I and the battle of Sharizor.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Octomon posted:

Merely poetic licence, harking back to the glory days of Sultan Kasim I and the battle of Sharizor.

I think you mean the glory days of Ertan the conquerer and the conquest of all Syria and Jerusalem :allears:

What I'm saying is we should have cores on syria and egypt.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Wiz posted:

The Azerbaijan Spring, nipped in the bud with bread and circuses.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Saurus posted:

I think you mean the glory days of Ertan the conquerer and the conquest of all Syria and Jerusalem :allears:

What I'm saying is we should have cores on syria and egypt.

Also Khwarezim and Persia. Ertan got around.

In fact we should just have "The Conqueror Reborn!" event that gives us a casus belli on every country if we get a ruler named Ertan with high MIL score.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

DarkCrawler posted:

Also Khwarezim and Persia. Ertan got around.

In fact we should just have "The Conqueror Reborn!" event that gives us a casus belli on every country if we get a ruler named Ertan with high MIL score.

Only if we convert to Hinduism or Buddhism first. :colbert:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Brutus Salad posted:

Only if we convert to Hinduism or Buddhism first. :colbert:

Obviously we would convert to Zensunnism. :c00lbert:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Wiz posted:

God, don't encourage them Wiz! :smith:

Oh well, more updates are good at least. For the light of Shi'a etc. :toot:

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I heard that Sufism is cool.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Wiz posted:

No, diploannexing does not give cores in vanilla.

I thought he was referring to the stability impact. Sorry.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 23: Yesterday's Allies (1590 - 1600)

On the advice of the Shura, Aram creates a permanent advisory body composed of the most important members of the Shura, whose job it is to advise him on foreign politics.

On the advice of the cabinet, a formal alliance is created with Poland, and another alliance sought with Qurighar, who turns him down.

Qurighar's refusal to ally turns out to be blessing, as the Russian Tsar goes against his advisors and pushes East instead of South, declaring war on Qurighar.

A diplomatic insult causes the fragile Azeri-Syrian alliance to shatter once more, to little mourning in either country.

Azerbaijan's treasurer, a wealthy man who started as a lowly slave and worked his way up through the bureaucracy, passes away in 1591. Leaving no heirs, he wills his substantial fortune to the state, and Aram puts it to use building a number of counting-houses.

War breaks out with Armenia in 1592, as the Armenians declare war on Azerbaijan's vassal Erzerum, intending to reconquer the Turkish provinces.

Allies are mustered on both sides, and though the Azerbaijani alliance vastly outnumbers the Armenians on paper, the reality of the matter is that most of Azerbaijan's allies are much too far away to be any help.

Aram appoints a pair of generals to lead the armies and run the war, preferring to stay behind in Tabriz and continue to run the government.

The generals assemble the army and quickly march on Van, attacking and routing an Armenian army besieging the province.

Pursuing the enemy across the border, the Azerbaijani army smashes through all opposition, and soon the border is clear of enemy armies.

Russia's war with Qurighar is not going well, its large armies finding it difficult to manuever in vast, trackless Siberia, where the smaller and faster Uighur armies have the advantage.

Back in Armenia, Azeri armies have advanced all the way up to Adana, but the Armenians have mustered a new army and launched a counter-offensive.

Having already achieved his aims of preserving Erzerum, Aram sues for peace, forcing Armenia to give up its claims to Erzerum and release the tiny Principality of Trebizond as a buffer state between Armenia and Azerbaijan.

With the war now over, Aram focuses his attention on domestic matters, continuing to reform land ownership and importing western farming methods and tools from Poland.

During the war, trials were made with musket-armed horsemen, and the success of the practice leads to firearms finding widespread use among the cavalry.

After several years of stalemate, Russia makes peace with Qurighar in 1594.

In China Nan Han establishes itself as the dominant Chinese state by annexing its former main rival, Wu.

The long-lasting alliance between Qurighar and Zhen has also been broken, with the two Timurid successor states now at war over Mongol lands.

Armenia rebounds from its defeat, invading and subjugating the remnants of the Byzantine Empire.

A few quiet years follow before war once again erupts on the northern border, with Russia now having shifted its focus towards conquering Crimea.

Russia's attack on Crimea triggers a declaration of war from Poland, who call on Azerbaijan to honor the alliance. Aram declares his intent to dishonor the alliance, but is persuaded by the cabinet and his generals to honor it, and thus Azerbaijan goes to war with its former ally. (Note: I killed military access before honoring, so no -5 stab)

Indeed, Aram's fears of Russia seem to have been exaggerated, as they have not yet fully recovered from their war with Qurighar and find themselves outnumbered by the Polish alliance.

With the eruption of hostilities on the northern border, a small Russian army attacks Astrakhan but are beaten back.

The two generals concentrate their forces on the Crimea, deploying siege armies into Russian territory and holding back the main forces, ready to reinforce the siege armies in the event of a Russian attack.

Russian forces begin appearing in large numbers, but do nothing more than make threatening manuevers for the moment.

Azow and Kouban fall into Azeri hands with no resistance from the Russians, Azeri cannons making short work of the Russian cities' medieval walls.

Azeri forces take the offensive in Crimea, attacking the Russian armies besieging Zaporozhia and driving them back across the border.

The Poles are advancing into Russia on a wide front, beating Russian armies and besieging Russian cities...

... while Azeri armies continue their push from the south.

The Russians make a few half-hearted attempts to attack the Azeri siege armies, but each time the other armies rush to reinforce the Azeri positions and beat back the Russian armies.

Retreating on all fronts, Russia accepts peace in 1599 on fairly harsh terms, ceding large parts of Belarus and paying a large sum of gold to Poland, in addition to annuling a number of treaties.

As the war with Russia ends, the colonial wars which ended some years past in a series of white peaces, heat up again.

Back in Azerbaijan, Crown Prince Qizil is killed by a bear while hunting in the hills of Dagestan. At 43 years old Aram has only two wives who have given him only the one child, so Qizil's death leaves Aram without a successor. So long as the succession was safe, comments towards Aram's cold attitude towards his wives and his preference towards the company of young men were spoken only in private, but now these criticisms bubble to the surface, and the Shura "strongly advises" Aram to put some time into producing another heir while he is still able to.

As the century ends, yesterday's allies have become the enemies of today. Alliances are formed and broken, conquests made and lost, and the world seems to be accelerating towards war on an ever grander scale. The House of Najjar is in danger of joining the Ildeguzids in extinction, bringing with it the threat of succession wars and civil strife.

Turbulent times are upon Azerbaijan.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
Has Portugal declaring war on Spain ever been a good idea?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, that went better than expected. And of course - the decision of the Shura proves to be wise. Now just let's hope Poland doesn't get munched by Bohemia or whoever happens to be the HRE.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Wow, I was expecting war with the Russkies to be nigh-apocalyptic.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Thrice blessed be the armies of Azerbaijan, for they do not know defeat.

Onwards to the Hellespont!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Russia seemed pretty half-hearted about the war, as if they didn't even care that they were getting double-teamed by two much smaller countries it should be able to overpower.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pakled posted:

Russia seemed pretty half-hearted about the war, as if they didn't even care that they were getting double-teamed by two much smaller countries it should be able to overpower.

Did you look at the war overview? Poland has a ridiculously large army for their size, and Russia started with only half their normal army to begin with. We were basically a bit player in the Polish-Russian war.

It would be dumb to assume this is going to be the norm though, considering Russia just came out of a long grinding eastern war.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

we are all dead men on leave
Let the Azeri-Polish alliance be one to last a thousand years. Russia for now a paper tiger humbled on the international stage. It feels good, really.

Also worth noting:
English Louisiana and a complete absence of a French power on the colonial stage; very little European interaction with Asia; Dutch Argentina, Italian Brazil, and a large Portugese presence further north than reality. Espanya seems to be doing as Spain normally would, colonial dispute with Portugal included.

MadPierrot fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 21, 2011

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
Russian Revanchism will be the end of us, I feel it now.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Woo. That went amazingly well. Cabinet was a good choice.

Though Russia invading Quagihar first helped.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dr. Not A Doctor posted:

That's why we need our superior diplomacy to forge more alliances!

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

MadPierrot posted:

Let the Azeri-Polish alliance be one to last a thousand years. Russia for now a paper tiger humbled on the international stage. It feels good, really.

Also worth noting:
English Louisiana and a complete absence of a French power on the colonial stage; very little European interaction with Asia; Dutch Argentina, Italian Brazil, and a large Portugese presence further north than reality. Espanya seems to be doing as Spain normally would, colonial dispute with Portugal included.

France is never a colonial power in EU3.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

MadPierrot posted:

Also worth noting:
Espanyan New Zealand too.

Dr. Not A Doctor posted:

I'm pretty sure they'd direct that towards the Poles before us really. The real question is if we will honour the CtA then, and if we do, what the comparative state of our alliance blocks' militaries will be.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

theblastizard posted:

France is never a colonial power in EU3.

Sure it is? The major one in some games of mine.

Who's your heir apparent now Wiz? "An Azeri noble"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I like how the colonization is working. Usually the AI will just place colonists wherever and the new world ends up a clusterfuck.

• Locked thread