Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

we are all dead men on leave
I guess the Bulgars and the Armenians just got tired of dudes with goofy names pretending to be Romans, poking people's eyes out and bragging about what big walls they have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

The Saurus posted:

I would support interfering with Armenia before they grow any stronger (another reason to avoid the PU, it hinders foreign policy). We could make an alliance with the bitter Rhodents, and promise Thessalonika or Bulgaria control over Thrace if they join a war with us against Armenia, who is the greatest threat to us all. Rhodes would probably make a good ally to have against Syria too.

Four words: Give Crete to Rhodes.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I might be wrong, but it looks like Crete already belongs to Italy: I wouldn't recommend going up against a world power just to try and gain a small ally.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
It belongs to Armenia.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Patter Song posted:

It belongs to Armenia.

Huh. Why so it is.

Do you think our current fleet could take it?

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
The only thing our current fleet could take on is water.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
We might stand a chance against the Cherokee Fleet.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

we are all dead men on leave
One more on a long list of reasons to hate this timeline's Armenia (though, as an aside, their regional relevance is pretty interesting as I often feel like Armenia is kind of relegated to a footnote). I'd really like to see Rhodes continue on as a trade republic. That seems unlikely now (doubly so without the COT, naturally) but I like the idea of Azerbaijan being defined as more than just another Islamic state- but as a place of learning, a place where Orthodox Europe meets Persian Asia. We're a unique entity, we have been throughout this LP, and I think we can definitely carve out a very interesting niche for ourselves in our region. We don't need to conquer the world- we just need to play the field of Orthodox powers to cultivate a vibrant part of the world, and that means being more than just another Muslim country in a Muslim territory.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
They were tiny and easy to beat up?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Necroskowitz posted:

The only thing our current fleet could take on is water.

Pride comes before the fall, sir.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This is off-topic, but is there a thread about Dawntide on SA? I can't find one at first glance.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
This is off-topic, but is there a thread about Paradox on SA? I can't find one at first glance.

There is? Good, better ask about something completely and utterly unrelated.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Phlegmish posted:

This is off-topic, but is there a thread about Dawntide on SA? I can't find one at first glance.

Good. I hope you never find it, because it looks like an incredibly lovely and generic MMO. Thanks for visiting the LP forum!

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Phlegmish posted:

Let me check.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Darth Windu posted:

Good. I hope you never find it, because it looks like an incredibly lovely and generic MMO. Thanks for visiting the LP forum!

Yes, it would definitely be awkward if a key member of this thread happened to be the CEO of the company developing it. Thankfully, that is not the case.

Anyway, I'm sure our fleet is more than capable of taking on Armenia. Each Azeri galley is worth at least 10 Armenian...carracks? Galleons?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Raserys posted:

This is off-topic, but is there a thread about Paradox on SA? I can't find one at first glance.

There is? Good, better ask about something completely and utterly unrelated.

Darth Windu posted:

Yes, thank you, assorted passive-aggressive assholes. You sure showed me. I'm liking Darth Windu's response in particular.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 28, 2011

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Darth Windu posted:

Guess it's time to quit your day job, Wiz.

To be fair, I'm almost entirely certain he was unaware of the connection and figured he was being witty.
vvv

Tomn fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 28, 2011

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Darth Windu posted:

Goddamn, not to whiteknight Wiz or something, but didn't your parents ever tell you not to piss on your host's rug when you're at dinner at someone's house? You really are more Saurus than Saurus.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Huh? Does Wiz own the company or something? Sorry, if so.

Patter Song posted:

Goddamn, not to whiteknight Wiz or something, but didn't your parents ever tell you not to piss on your host's rug when you're at dinner at someone's house? You really are more Saurus than Saurus.

At least I'm honest. Saurus is just an idiot.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Raserys posted:

Paradox Interactive Bonanza is the thread you want.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Darth Windu posted:

Huh? Does Wiz own the company or something? Sorry, if so.

CEO of the company I know, and I THINK (bit fuzzy here) head dev of Dawntide. So, yeah, slight case of foot in mouth there.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Tomn posted:

CEO of the company I know, and I THINK (bit fuzzy here) head dev of Dawntide. So, yeah, slight case of foot in mouth there.

This is quite humorous.

I didn't know about Wiz's profession too though. I'll have to check it out.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Tomn posted:

Apologies to Wiz, then. You have to admit the website looks pretty generic, though. I'll be sure to give it a closer look sometime.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
You don't have to give it a closer look, nor do you have to like what I do for a living just because you like my LPs! Enjoy the taste of foot in mouth, though.

Phlegmish, there was a thread a while ago but it fell off the pages and is probably archived by now. We don't have much of a marketing presence yet but you can hit me up on IRC sometime if you want to chat about it. With that, let's leave the subject aside since this thread has nothing to do with DT.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The worst thing about your profession is that it pretty much rules out any chance of you working forfixing Paradox's games completely, aside from your mods. :(

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

YF-23 posted:

The worst thing about your profession is that it pretty much rules out any chance of you working forfixing Paradox's games completely, aside from your mods. :(

Well they could get a license to make a game based off of the source code you know. I doubt it, but it's possible!

Also we must strengthen the mighty Azerbaijani fleet. That water isn't going to take on itself.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Wiz doesn't need to work on Paradox games. He just needs to make his own games in the genre!

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
I would kill for a grand strategy game on the iPad.

It'd almost make one worth buying.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Huh, did Cherokee win a war against the Brits, or did they get rebel defections?

Do you have any events planned for Japan soon?

John Liver
May 4, 2009

i81icu812 posted:

Huh, did Cherokee win a war against the Brits, or did they get rebel defections?

Do you have any events planned for Japan soon?

Wiz said they westernized a few updates back; either they've improved their tech level or they're just very lucky.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

What tech levels are Cherokee at now anyhow?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm guessing the Cherokee in this universe have managed to unify all the tribes in the general region where their borders are in.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
Hooray! Westernization! Will there be ways to encourage other nations to westernize via diplomacy/decisions in your mod wiz? Watching new world nations get destroyed is kinda depressing.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

LordBaxter posted:

Hooray! Westernization! Will there be ways to encourage other nations to westernize via diplomacy/decisions in your mod wiz? Watching new world nations get destroyed is kinda depressing.

Vassalize them.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 26: New Order (1610 - 1620)

Unhappy with the idea of a Mughal ruler taking the throne of Azerbaijan, the Shura begins to assemble in Tabriz to try and come to agreement in regards to who will succeed the throne, but before they even have a chance to reach the city, Aram contracts pneumonia and passes away. Having no candidate to rally behind, the Shura is forced to accept the Mughals' claim to the Azeri throne.

The new Mughal ruler is a brilliant ruler, who wastes no time replacing Azeri officials in the government with men loyal to himself.

As a subject state, Azerbaijan is forced to join in the Mughals' wars against Persia and an alliance of Hindu princes in India.

The Persians immediately send armies across the border, defeating the Azeri army stationed to defend Tabriz.

Reinforcements are mustered from the north, and the Persians are engaged and defeated in Gilan.

However, as the Azeri army is pursuing the enemy into Mazandaran, they are caught in an ambush in a mountain pass. The Azeri army is routed and finds its way back through the pass cut off by enemy forces. The ensuing slaughter goes on for hours, and at the end of it more than two-thirds of the Azeri army is gone. (A battle bug wiped out my whole army here because of some rebels :argh: paradox)

With the Azeri army reduced to a mere 15,000 men, the Persians begin to capture cities unopposed.

The Mughal Sultan acts to save his subject nation, sending war subsidies to recruit new soldiers with.

With the war subsidies, new troops are recruited and the Azeri army manages to push Persia back over the border.

The Mughals are not faring too well in the war, with much of their territory in India occupied by the Hindu alliance. Persia comes to the negotiations table in 1614 and cleverly manages to make peace between Persia and the Mughals - but only Persia and the Mughals. Azerbaijan is left in the war to face Persia alone.

With the Persians now able to focus all their armies against Azerbaijan, a large Azeri army is cornered in Ajam and wiped out.

Replacing the army destroyed in Mazandaran has bled Azerbaijan's manpower dry, and there simply aren't any men to raise a new army. Persian forces are pouring across the border completely unopposed, with the one remaining Azeri army having withdrawn to the northern provinces.

Tabriz falls, and there seems to be nothing stopping the Persians from marching all the way up to the Crimea.

The Shura, outraged by their Mughal overlords' betrayal, assembles in Baku and decides to take action. They start by ousting the Mughal commanders and take charge of the war themselves. Mughal war funds are appropriated to begin raising a mercenary army.

Bolstered by mercenary forces, the Shura forces launches a counter-offensive, destroying a Persian army in Shirvan.

Another Persian army is defeated in Yerevan, and it seems as though the war may be able to be salvaged after all.

Just as things are starting to look up however, another disaster strikes as Armenia declares war. The Mughal Emperor, angry with the Shura for dismissing his commanders, refuses to come to Azerbaijan's aid.

In response, the Shura arrests and banishes the remaining Mughal officials and elect a new ruler. Qutaiba of Karaman is the brother of the Bey of Erzerum, a generally feeble and incompetent man whom the Shura does not actually give any power, having grown used to running things themselves over the last couple of years.

Syria declares war in 1615, and the situation is truly starting to look desperate for Azerbaijan.

Thus, when Persia offers a fairly harsh peace, forcing Azerbaijan to sever its old treaties with Poland, pay reparations and release Kurdistan as an independent state, the Shura has no option but to accept.

Even with Persia out of the war, the situation is still bleak: Azerbaijan is unstable, war-tired and has an army made up almost entirely of mercenaries.

The treasury is empty and the Shura has had to take out large loans from Jewish merchants to pay the troops.

Despite, Azerbaijan continues to resist. Attempt after attempt is made by the Armenians and Bulgarians to cross the border, and each time they are beaten back with heavy losses.

In 1617, after years of bloody fighting on the border, Armenia finally gives up on taking Azeri territory and offers peace in exchange for a large payment of tribute. Desperate for peace, the Shura accepts.

Peace is also successfully negotiated with Syria, who are busy fighting Egypt.

As peace finally comes to war-torn Azerbaijan, the mercenaries are demobilized and sent home.

Seven years of warfare has turned a prosperous, wealthy country into a charred ruin. Azerbaijan is heavily in debt and cannot afford to maintain more than a skeleton army in order to make its interest payments. Even so, heavy minting has been needed, and inflation is running rampant.

Crimean and Georgian rebels rise up every few months, further adding to the chaos plaguing the country.

In 1619, the Shura returns to Tabriz. The Azeri capital was brutally sacked by the Persians, and many of its famous libraries and schools burnt down in the process. The Shura begins the long work of restoring the city, beginning with a festival to celebrate the beginning of the reconstruction.

During the wars against Persia and Armenia, Russia has been busy with its own battles in the east, but these wars are now over and the Shura is concerned that Azerbaijan with its tiny army and war-ravaged provinces would seem an awfully tempting target for the Russian Tsar. As such, Poland is approached once more and proves willing to renew the old alliance.

The Shura next meets to discuss the future governing of Azerbaijan. The disaster of the Mughal union and the ensuing successes of Noble rule has left the Azeri aristocracy utterly hostile to strong monarchs. Vowing never to repeat the mistakes of 1610, the Shura votes to change Azerbaijan's inheritance laws. Qutaiba is stripped of his rights to have his sons succeed him, and all future rulers are to be elected by the aristocracy. Additionally, the power of the nobles is cemented with a constitution that grants them massive privileges at the expense of the monarch and the lower classes.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 15, 2012

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
That was a bit of a setback.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
gently caress, our books! Our precious learning! Our tolerance! Gone, gone forever! Let a new bloodthirsty nation be forged from this, taking war to everyone around us!

Y'know, in twenty years or so. When we have a surplus population again.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
So apparently we won't get to vote on subsequent rulers, making this highly unsatisfactory. :colbert:

Otherwise, congratulations on making the best of a bad situation.

Degskallen
Aug 23, 2011

I assumed it had got into your wardrobe by mistake, sir, or else that it has been placed there by your enemies.
That could have ended much worse, all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Awesome fighting, Wiz. I'm surprised you didn't lose more provinces than Kurdistan.

And the Mughals inherited us and promptly left us to fight Persia, then Armenian and later Syria all by ourselves? gently caress those guys. For real.

• Locked thread