Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Alright, so far we're off to a promising start. I can wait to see where we go in the future.

*Sees we're playing Turks* :aaaaa:

This is Turkish News Network, crossing inter dimensional time boundaries to bring you the news.

Goodevening, this is Alip Ali, our top story today continues to be the new alternate timeline we've discovered. At present our scientists can't exactly tell were the divergence is, but we do know that things will rapidly change the world of this dimension. We will keep you posted on more developments as they happen.

Now we return to our developing story. Baths of Turkey, which ones are actually baths and which ones are just places that beat you up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

meatbag posted:

Another Wiz LP! :neckbeard:

I can't wait to see our empire break up every singe time our king dies. Which character do you continue to play as? The first in line?

Yes, the guy who inherits the primary title (Sultan of Azerbaijan currently).

theblastizard posted:

Are you going to be using Divine Wind once EU3 hits?

Yep. I have my own modded version of DW I will be using.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I'm wondering which direction we're going to be expanding in. There isn't an obvious route of expansion; I guess Wiz could go west to form Turkey, south to conquer Perdia, east to form a Central Asian empire, or north to create some Scythianesque empire in Southern Russia.

Or we could go to the southwest and kick the Christians out of the holy land.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jimmy4400nav posted:

In Crusader Kings, how does Switzerland play? Are the Cantons under the control of other factions? I'm curious because I'm playing Divine Wind with Switzerland right now and I wanted to know how they play in the previous game.

Switzerland didn't actually 'unify' until the late middle ages, its presently a bunch of counts that are vassals to the Holy Roman Emperor / King of Germany.

Proposition Joe posted:

I'm wondering which direction we're going to be expanding in. There isn't an obvious route of expansion; I guess Wiz could go west to form Turkey, south to conquer Perdia, east to form a Central Asian empire, or north to create some Scythianesque empire in Southern Russia.

Or we could go to the southwest and kick the Christians out of the holy land.

I will mainly play based on the personality of the rulers and what opportunities present themselves ingame, but don't be afraid to make suggestions!

Wiz fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 5, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Here we go again. Should be another fun ride.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
So, when the ruler dies and the nation is split, do you retain control of all the different heirs in some way? Or do they literally become separate nations, with you losing that territory?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gerblyn posted:

So, when the ruler dies and the nation is split, do you retain control of all the different heirs in some way? Or do they literally become separate nations, with you losing that territory?

If they are a lower title than the primary heir, they become the primary heir's vassals. Once we start accumulating more King titles though, the empire will start splitting up into smaller Kingdoms.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Robert_Deadford posted:

/\/\/\ That's what I get for not hitting preview after composing.

I'm wondering if Wiz has read Kim Stanley Robinson's Years of Rice and Salt, and if so has it affected his narrative plans? It's a fairly chunky novel about an alternate history of the world after the Black Death wipes Christianity out.

Anyway, this LP will be good.
You can play that scenario in EU3 Miscmods.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Can't wait to party like it's 843 upon every single leader death.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
It's not the scenario that's pertinent but rather I'm interested in how Wiz is going to handle the evolution of an Islamic state in a manner that is both consistent with Islam in general and engaging for those of us in the popcorn gallery. Having never played a Paradox strategy game, I have no knowledge of how well the games simulate the dynamics of Islamic laws and states. I guess time will tell.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I guess the straight answer is that they don't. I'm pretty sure the only thing that changes in EU3 with religion is some modifiers and the title of your ruler

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

okand posted:

I guess the straight answer is that they don't. I'm pretty sure the only thing that changes in EU3 with religion is some modifiers and the title of your ruler

I don't plan to just leave it that way.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Good!! I'm not even certain about the ruler thing, it might just be a thing from MEIOU. Like if you're a Shia king you're a Shah, if you're Sunni you're a Maalik. Flavor text is cool!!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
There are a bunch of religion-specific decisions in the little religious menu in EU3. It's pretty minor stuff, but it's present.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Oh my God, a Wiz LP I have a chance at participating in! :neckbeard:

This is going to be great- the Hohenzollern LP was what made me start playing Paradox games in the first place, and was also the best narrative LP I've ever read. I can't wait to see where this one goes.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 5, 2011

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Aww yeah, it's one of those loving things again. I missed the Crete one because I went "gently caress EU:Rome" at first and then "gently caress reading 5000+ posts" afterwards, but I'm following this thing to the end, wherever and whatever that will be.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Jimmy4400nav posted:

*Sees we're playing Turks* :aaaaa:

Sorry but...Azerbaijanis aren't turks. Deal with it (or run away to those yellow neighbours)

Semisalic gavelkind is unbelievably terrible - so i'm surprised you didnt take the opportunity to fall in love with your wife lowering future heir numbers or cahnging to elective.

Am I right in thinking that under SS gavelkind, your main heir can be the king but hold no actual land/counties/beydoms at all?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Question for this absurd succession policy: if the King's demesne is just the capitol province and his vassals hold all the other land, and he has multiple heirs, do some of the vassals get automatically bumped to make way for some of the king's sons?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Saurus posted:

Sorry but...Azerbaijanis aren't turks. Deal with it (or run away to those yellow neighbours)

Semisalic gavelkind is unbelievably terrible - so i'm surprised you didnt take the opportunity to fall in love with your wife lowering future heir numbers or cahnging to elective.

Am I right in thinking that under SS gavelkind, your main heir can be the king but hold no actual land/counties/beydoms at all?

In 1187 the dominant population was Turkic, the native Azeri language actually died out in the following centuries and Turkic influence remained heavy. As far as I know Azerbaijanis are still considered Turkic, or at least something like a mix between Iranian and Turkic.

And no, you can't hold king or duke titles without also holding counties.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 5, 2011

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Patter Song posted:

Question for this absurd succession policy: if the King's demesne is just the capitol province and his vassals hold all the other land, and he has multiple heirs, do some of the vassals get automatically bumped to make way for some of the king's sons?

No, if there's not enough titles to go around, some heirs get nothing.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
It was a tiny turkish ruling class on top of a great mass of azeri peasants and farmers. By that logic, england should be called normanland.

e: There also needs to be a point made about the distinction between Turkic, which simply refers to the speakers of that family of central asian languages, which DOES include Azeris, and Turkish, which is much more ethnically specific.

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 5, 2011

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Saurus posted:

It was a tiny turkish ruling class on top of a great mass of azeri peasants and farmers. By that logic, england should be called normanland.

The azeri peasants were assimilated into Turkish culture by and large though, see above comment about their language going poof.

Besides, we're playing as the ruling class, not the peasants.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Could we keep the stupid nationalistic stuff tongue-in-cheek?? We all know serbia has eye of falcon, turk stink dog

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

okand posted:

Could we keep the stupid nationalistic stuff tongue-in-cheek?? We all know serbia has eye of falcon, turk stink dog

Having an actual discussion about medieval demographics isn't really "stupid nationalistic stuff". Unless you were referring to something else?

Wiz posted:

Besides, we're playing as the ruling class, not the peasants.

Not for long! For the brave and honourable Azeri people will not brook your oppression! They shall rise up, and elect one of their own as leader to march them into a glorious future. Your days are numbered, Turkish tyrant.

So seriously, I always see (usually child) kings without any land at all in CK. Usually in Denmark for some reason. Is that a result of Gavelkind and can we expect to see that happen in this LP?

vvv I do love CK's culture decider for children though, even if it is completely nonsensical. 50% Father's/35% mother's/15% province leads to awesome stuff like the Greek Duke of Swabia in the Hohenzollern LP - Or an English Tsar of Russia in my own game.

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 5, 2011

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
CK is also not particularly noted for being all that concerned with cultural accuracy either. It keeps things simple on that front since all in all it didn't matter much what culture the peasants on the land you held were.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I just mean in general. Nobody really cares about Germany or whatever but whenever anyone mentions east Europe or turkish folks people come out of the woodworks and talk about how smelly their rivals are

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

okand posted:

I just mean in general. Nobody really cares about Germany or whatever but whenever anyone mentions east Europe or turkish folks people come out of the woodworks and talk about how smelly their rivals are

Uhm...Do they? There was an Ottoman Vicky LP a while back and that didn't happen...Are you just basing it off the Sjrbja thing? That was part of the in-joke I think. I just think coming in and hitting the racism button before anyone's even said anything is probably getting off on the wrong foot.

Don't muslims get massive, massive tech advantages at the beginning of the game over the christians in CK?

Good timing for this thread, coming so soon after Azerbaijan's most glorious moment.

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 5, 2011

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Saurus posted:

Don't muslims get massive, massive tech advantages at the beginning of the game over the christians in CK?

Does this make sense as a generality? Sure, the Moors, Abbasids, and Persians should probably have a tech advantage, but the Seljuks and other Turks?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

okand posted:

Seeing the success of the Srbja thread, i think we're safe for now.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
Thank you for putting in all this time and effort, Wiz!

I've loved all the Paradox LPs I've read on here, but the Hohenzollern one is still my all time favorite (I rarely ever play vanilla Vicky now and have played through the Hohenzollern mod so many times).

So excited for this! :neckbeard:

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM
So everyone agrees Allah wants us to build more trains, right?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Right then. Conquer our neighbours until we border an infidel, then let them know we have a special 2-for-1 offer on our famous 'The Koran or the Sword' line of invasions.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Wiz posted:

I will mainly play based on the personality of the rulers and what opportunities present themselves ingame, but don't be afraid to make suggestions!

Ignore Europe, conquer Arabia and Persia. Maybe invade India in EU3.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Take over Georgia. Experience centuries of intractable religious conflict. Eventually get to the point where the only way to survive as a country is to be tolerant of other religions. Go on to become a liberal beacon of peace and tolerance for all the world to look up to, where Christians and Muslims live together in peace and brotherhood.

They have so much potential when they're young, but so many paradox LPs just grow up to be cruel religious zealots. Such a pity.

TheGrandMystic
Aug 7, 2007
This should be interesting and I can't wait to see more! I remember one time I started a game in DVIP as that one solitary Jewish province but I didn't play for very long (got completely trounced by my surrounding neighbors). It's fun playing as the Muslims and Pagans, but even then it got boring after enough time passed, just like every other time I've tried playing CK.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dr. Tough posted:

Ignore Europe, conquer Arabia and Persia. Maybe invade India in EU3.

Eh. I'd prefer to target the Caucasus as well. Convert the poo poo out of the Georgians and Armenians. Some Euro colonies later on, too. (Even if its just small stuff like Rhodes, Sardinia, Crete)

I want to expand the Ummah into the benighted lands of jahiliyyah (and, yes, conquering/converting India qualifies too). The blessed word of the Prophet (pbuh) needs to spread. Allah has given us permission to seize much booty from the unbelievers in terms of their possessions and in terms of taking slaves in return for the holy duty of the jihad. The Koran or the Sword!

OOC:

BTW, Wiz, is religious conversion as easy in CK as it is in EU3? I'd like some "Kill people, take their poo poo, convert the remainder to the pure and holy word of the Prophet (pbuh) and then releasing them" action.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
If you can, go for a weird a-historical inversion, like somehow becoming a democracy in the middle ages. Become the Switzerland* of the Middle East, fulfill your destiny.

*By which of course I mean the Switzerland before the Battle of Marignano. Back when the Swiss had a reputation for invincible armies and massive prosperity in the Middle Ages due to smart traders and Free trade. In addition to having a functioning democracy in a time period when Feudalism was all the rage.

This fanboyism for Switzerland was brought to you by my current play through of EU 3 Divine Wind.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Oh god yes, another Wiz LP, and one that's not mired in asinine goon-ness. Can't wait!

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Hey what exactly does divine wind add? (particularly to the non-oriental part of the game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

ChaosSamusX posted:

Hey what exactly does divine wind add? (particularly to the non-oriental part of the game)

It updates the graphics, and makes a ton of small tweaks, some more noticeable than others. One of the biggest changes is breaking Switzerland into more chunks, instead of two large provinces, you get six smaller ones. Also buildings follow a specific building pathway along tech lines (for example, government tech: Church, leads to courthouse, leads to spy agency, leads to town hall, leads to college...)

• Locked thread