Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

NihilCredo posted:

It's still Constantinople in this timeline, and I would expect Azeri's tolerant monarchs to allow it to keep its traditional name.

It might also be somewhat less of a humongous city, given that ever since its 13th century collapse it's never been the capital of a large empire, like our timeline's Ottomans. Still a very powerful symbol though.

Why'd Constantinople get so scary? That's nobody's business but the Azeri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Whizbang posted:

Why'd Constantinople get so scary? That's nobody's business but the Azeri.

:rimshot:

Now my brain is trying to come up with lyrics for the rest of the song. I hate you.

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011

Kenlon posted:

:rimshot:

Now my brain is trying to come up with lyrics for the rest of the song. I hate you.

Istanbul, once Constantinople, now its Istanbul, not Constantinople..

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tomn posted:

By the way, this Germany-talk got me wondering - Wiz, IF the HRE manages to survive in more than rudimentary form to Victoria 2, are you intending to try and model it in any way? Heck, what WOULD a working HRE even look like in the Victorian era, from a fluffy perspective?

I'll figure that out during conversion, if its relevant.

Viola the Mad posted:

Wiz, can you change Christiana's color to differentiate it from Norway more?

Sure, I'll color-swap them with Peru.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

SolidPolonium posted:

How did Zhen lose a lot of its non-Chinese Southeast Asian holdings but gained a few more Chinese provinces?

Also go Khmer!

AI is bad at fighting patriots while at war.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Wiz posted:

AI is bad at fighting

I have fixed this.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
The HRE would be incredibly easy to model if the Emperor was a GP. And unless someone dies and Bavaria and Franconia go into PU that's unlikely.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 40: Father's Son (1740 - 1750)

Before commiting to war, Aram implements a number of experimental army reforms meant to strengthen the discipline of the army by strengthening the internal bonds of regiments.

Eager to win glory in war and see the effects of his many army reforms, Aram declares war on Armenia, riding across the border at the head of his army.

Though the enemy alliance is formidable on paper, the Hungarians and Ethopians are in no position to give Armenia aid and Aram feels no need to share the glory with his own allies.

The Azeri army advances into Kibyrrhaitoai, winning a decisive victory and destroying a full half of the Armenian forces.

The Bosnians send a large relief force to assist their allies, but are defeated and wiped out at Anatolikon.

Next the turn comes to the remaining Armenian forces, leaving the way clear for Azeri siege forces to begin capturing territory.

The Armenians begin to desperately recruit new troops, and the Bosnians send several more armies via ship, but in the end they simply do not have the troops to stop Aram's advance, and Armenian Anatolia is fully under his control by spring of 1742.

A more careful diplomat than his father, Aram settles for the lands claimed in his forged documents, but forces the King of Armenia to renounce all his own claims on Azeri lands.

Returning home in triumph, Aram returns to strengthening his grip over Azerbajian by developing a new provincial administration system with royal administrators in every town.

He also continues his army reforms, stripping the nobility of their privileged position within the army and opening the higher ranks to commoners.

His son and heir Burak comes of age in 1746. Burak is a large man with an appetite for war and little patience for diplomacy, tact or paperwork. He has inherited the Daei cruelty and temper, but none of his father's tastes in private pleasures. Instead, he seems to shy away from the company of both women and men, devoting his time wholly to martial and athletic pursuits.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Wiz posted:

His son and heir Burak comes of age in 1746. Burak is a large man with an appetite for war and little patience for diplomacy, tact or paperwork. He has inherited the Daei cruelty and temper, but none of his father's tastes in private pleasures. Instead, he seems to shy away from the company of both women and men, devoting his time wholly to martial and athletic pursuits.
A war-monger son with none of the administrative and political acumen that allowed his father to centralize in the first place? Oh man, Azerbaijan is in for Fun.

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011
So, this is fantastic. We're Prussia.

Edit: It appears the Greeks are rallying against the Bulgarians. If Epirus takes Constantinople can they (re)reform the mighty Byzantine Empire?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Bye bye Courland, we hardly knew ye. Also, Brittany.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I've never, ever, gotten three monarchs with 8 of any stat in a row. Hell, there've been full games where I don't get a single monarch with an 8 in a stat. That's some crazy luck there, unless there's some subtle monarch stat tweaking going on in the mod.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

kw0134 posted:

I've never, ever, gotten three monarchs with 8 of any stat in a row. Hell, there've been full games where I don't get a single monarch with an 8 in a stat. That's some crazy luck there, unless there's some subtle monarch stat tweaking going on in the mod.
Daei sperm ride to the egg on strange-headed steppe ponies or something I guess.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

kw0134 posted:

I never touch ruler stats. It's all RNG.

Also I think Burak II is the only 8/8/8 ruler I've ever had live more than ten years.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hyord posted:

So, this is fantastic. We're Prussia.

Edit: It appears the Greeks are rallying against the Bulgarians. If Epirus takes Constantinople can they (re)reform the mighty Byzantine Empire?

Thessalonica has now formed Greece, so Byzantium is dead forever.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
My God, Persia has some ugly borders.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Some good blobbing all round from the AI this time; Burgundy, Austria, Poland, Ikko-Ikki and Zhen all gained provinces. I'm sure there's some absurd failure that I missed though :v:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I really hope EU3 ends on a high-point like we're having right now. Then just like the Ottoman Empire, Azerbaijan is going to realize they're not really in a great spot to compete with the real Great Powers during the Victoria era.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Dibujante posted:

Daei sperm ride to the egg on strange-headed steppe ponies or something I guess.

The Daei line are actually the descendants of a Klingon stranded on Earth.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
Italy picked up Trieste.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

nimby posted:

I really hope EU3 ends on a high-point like we're having right now. Then just like the Ottoman Empire, Azerbaijan is going to realize they're not really in a great spot to compete with the real Great Powers during the Victoria era.
Everything conquered between now and 1885 can get cored by us before game end, at least if Wiz hasn't modified the coring dynamics.

Not that this will necessarily make a huge difference in V2, but in EU3 it will make a difference in terms of military might, development, and technology.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
It won't be THAT bad... will it?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dr. Not A Doctor posted:

It won't be THAT bad... will it?

The real thing that's gonna suck in Victoria is our miniscule Azeri cultural population. Because of the way POPs promote, its extremely difficult to get foreign nationalities working in your factories, so our potential industrial base is minimal unless we can get a full citizenship party in power.

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader
Is Burgundy still called Burgundy, or is it a red France now?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

zedar posted:

Is Burgundy still called Burgundy, or is it a red France now?

It's still called Burgundy, although the King of Burgundy also claims King of France.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Wiz posted:

The real thing that's gonna suck in Victoria is our miniscule Azeri cultural population. Because of the way POPs promote, its extremely difficult to get foreign nationalities working in your factories, so our potential industrial base is minimal unless we can get a full citizenship party in power.

Don't accepted cultures work in factories too?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Dr. Tough posted:

Anyone who is a craftsman can work in a factory, if I recall. However, unless you have full citizenship, non-national POPs promote slowly, if at all, to craftsmen.

edit: basically, Azeris are Austrians and Czechs working fancy factory and clerical jobs and Armenians and Georgians are Croats, Slovens, Hungarians, and Ukrainians producing agricultural labour to sustain the Austrians and Czechs.

MAXIMUM FRANZ FERDINAND

DOUBLE A-H EDIT: and Crimeans are going to be some kind of crazy serbs who will write Ivan Sirko's letter, except to us, and to start World War 1.

edit: so many edits
Anyone we conquered in 1700 should probably not be accepted. However, what about an exception for Georgians? They have been part of us since forever.
VVVVV

Dibujante fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 25, 2012

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dr. Tough posted:

I plan to be very harsh when it comes to assigning accepted cultures to simulate the historical difficulties of multi-ethnic empires. Azerbaijan will get Turkish/Azeri and that's it.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Will these renounced claims matter if/when a new Armenia tries to rise up during Vicky?

Also looks like Zhen and Ikko-Ikki are picking up the remaining pieces now.

Also Poland took all the Baltic, and Burgundy almost has everything it needs to be purple France.

Cherokee lost some land :(

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 25, 2012

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Georgians may have been with us forever but they've also had their own millets forever. The fact that they've lived in our territory a long time doesn't mean they're integrated into a privileged position in the state (or else you could argue that Tatars should be an accepted culture in Russia, or that China should have every single of its cultures accepted)

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

SolidPolonium posted:

Will these renounced claims matter if/when a new Armenia tries to rise up during Vicky?

No, not at all. It's just Aram being a jerk.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Wiz posted:

Georgians may have been with us forever but they've also had their own millets forever. The fact that they've lived in our territory a long time doesn't mean they're integrated into a privileged position in the state (or else you could argue that Tatars should be an accepted culture in Russia, or that China should have every single of its cultures accepted)

But it CAN, can't it? I mean, they have been there a long time, so it's possible that they could well be in a more privileged position. It just doesn't mean it has to be, right?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dr. Not A Doctor posted:

But it CAN, can't it? I mean, they have been there a long time, so it's possible that they could well be in a more privileged position. It just doesn't mean it has to be, right?

I'm going to err on the side of making multi-ethnic empires difficult to run and say that Georgians will not be an accepted culture. It's mostly a gameplay decision.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

What do the Khazari Jews think of us?

If there is a really huge revolt I hope they take over and then the Jewish Khazars, the long holders of our money, will finally be in power.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Wiz posted:

It's still called Burgundy, although the King of Burgundy also claims King of France.

All hail Ronald I, King of Burgundy, ruling over the most beautiful street in the world, Champs-Kindysées.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Oh, Khazars will get to be an accepted culture too since they're Turkic group and have held a privileged position for a very long time.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Wiz posted:

Oh, Khazars will get to be an accepted culture too since they're Turkic group and have held a privileged position for a very long time.

The entire population: one huge pop of Turkish Jewish capitalists :v:

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
Sorry if you've said before and I just missed it, but why are both Spanish and Portuguese colonies revolting into the same country?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Espanya better get out of India. That's ITALIAN territory. :italy:

And are the Phillipines owned by Zhen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cycloneman posted:

Sorry if you've said before and I just missed it, but why are both Spanish and Portuguese colonies revolting into the same country?

Because I didn't make separate tags for Portugese vs Spanish Peru. I know it's a little silly but it's the only place where two countries will revolt into the same tag, just bear with it.

• Locked thread