Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
The wagons set off across the Russian plains, as the Jewish members of the former village, now burning, of Perelskiye, began their search for a new home.

"Mensch, we're going to Astrakhan!"

And there was much celebration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
I should point out I was never implying that the Khazars would move anywhere, merely that they'd be empathetic, some even directly supportive, of a foreign Zionist movement. I agree that the idea of them packing up and leaving Azerbaijan is silly.

GunganRevenge posted:

"Mensch, we're going to Astrakhan!"

Hell, it'd be a lot easier than the journey to America. You might even end up with a similar scenario where the wealthy landed Khazars look down on the poor filthy Russian peasants flooding across the border.

Necroskowitz fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 27, 2012

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

While we're still in the Revolutionary period, I want to talk about the Industrial Revolution, since that was starting up around this time.

Namely, who do you think was able to industrialize first?

My personal vote would go towards some German OPM inventing the steam engine, but that's just me being wistful. :allears:

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
The answer to that is so obvious I'm surprised you had to ask.

Cherokee.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
"...Shown here is Inventor Horseless wagon, with his prototype internal combustion engine, circa 1860..."

Also armenia is finally returned to our patrimony! Hopefully our current non-militaristic king will die quickly so we can get started on syria, for our eventual triumphant return to egypt!

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Rev. Germany, best Germany.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Triskelli posted:

While we're still in the Revolutionary period, I want to talk about the Industrial Revolution, since that was starting up around this time.

Namely, who do you think was able to industrialize first?

My personal vote would go towards some German OPM inventing the steam engine, but that's just me being wistful. :allears:

I have to say I think I'd prefer it if there was at least a bit of RNG involved amongst the possible locations. (Having said that I sincerely hope it won't be Russia getting a head start...)

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I have to say, these entire LPs of countries have inspired me to try and figure out a suitably weak, yet characterful country to play to raise into a superpower.

But great LP, overall.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
How does Divine Wind deal with the revolutions by the way? I was always disappointed at how in EU3 there's pretty much one revolutionary country and no more after that.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

GunganRevenge posted:

I have to say, these entire LPs of countries have inspired me to try and figure out a suitably weak, yet characterful country to play to raise into a superpower.

But great LP, overall.

Starting in EU3, Brabant is one of my favorites. You have to reload if Burgundy gets a mission to conquer you right off the bat, but you stand a good chance at forming the Netherlands if you can deploy some skillful diplomacy.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
RE: Japan names.

I might suggest Jodo or Jodo-shu. From a suggestion from a friend, who says that Jodo-shu basically means Pure Land Sect, which is what the ikko-ikki were.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Astrakhani Jews probably lost their Khazar identity a long time ago, especially since they had to have come in contact with the Ashkenazim moving east. Maybe Khazar in this timeline is just another grouping of Jews that replaces Mizrahim, so we have Sephardim/Ashkenazim/Khazarim

It also doesn't mean that Khazars won't go for the Zionist ideology, or that maybe one of Azeri sultans won't try to be Cyrus the Great and issue an Edict of Restoration

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011

The Saurus posted:

How does Divine Wind deal with the revolutions by the way? I was always disappointed at how in EU3 there's pretty much one revolutionary country and no more after that.

The revolution is spread via conquest. The revolutionary target can, for a certain warscore, demand a government change to revolutionary republic. Then they in turn can spread it, etc etc.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Cowcatcher posted:

Astrakhani Jews probably lost their Khazar identity a long time ago, especially since they had to have come in contact with the Ashkenazim moving east. Maybe Khazar in this timeline is just another grouping of Jews that replaces Mizrahim, so we have Sephardim/Ashkenazim/Khazarim

I'm not totally sure I buy that. At the very least, the Khazars would've kept their Turkic language, a major distinction from the Yiddish-speaking Ashkenazim or the Ladino-speaking Sephardim.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Well, let's consider how well Jews blended into other cultures, even when they were tolerated.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
On Ikko-Ikki, let's try to remember that countries are not frozen in time just because they're Japanese. The present country with almost four hundred years of republican tradition and development has little to do with its 15th century buddhist sect roots.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Wiz posted:

On Ikko-Ikki, let's try to remember that countries are not frozen in time just because they're Japanese. The present country with almost four hundred years of republican tradition and development has little to do with its 15th century buddhist sect roots.

Hey Wiz, what exactly is going on with Dali? Do they even control any of their original people anymore?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

SolidPolonium posted:

Hey Wiz, what exactly is going on with Dali? Do they even control any of their original people anymore?

Uh, some of them anyway. They're been steadily driven west by Zhen.

Ogianres
Oct 21, 2008
Could we get a domestics update on the Republic of Japan? Or are they too similar to the last time we looked at Ikko-ikki it wouldn't be worth it?

How are the Cherokke right now? I think it's been a while since we looked at them.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Patter Song posted:

I'm not totally sure I buy that. At the very least, the Khazars would've kept their Turkic language, a major distinction from the Yiddish-speaking Ashkenazim or the Ladino-speaking Sephardim.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Khazars are much more mixed than they used to be, since Jews fleeing oppression (hell, maybe they just wanted in on that sweet, sweet, CoT action) have undoubtedly been heading to Astrakhan for centuries now. But the dominant culture is undoubtedly Khazar with random bits of other cultures mixed in here and there. Khazari is undoubtedly the Yiddish equivalent in Azerbaijan.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

DarkCrawler posted:

Awesome series of updates! :aaa:

Newest Sultans of Azerbaijan
http://www.imgnook.com/H2gko.jpg

Still loving this, although seeing the CK in-game portraits makes me giggle. They all look like one guy wearing different cheap disguises.

Peru is filling out nicely.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

I was flipping back through the thread and noticed the 'interesting dynasties in 1250' update and now I'm wondering who (as in what dynasties) actually rules England/Burgundy/Espanya/Italy at the dawn of the 19th century.

Any chance we could get to know where our fellow monarchs come from?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Servant posted:

Still, the monarch will dislike the German revolution for what it essentially implied. That the masses can indeed rise up and overthrow the so-called "legitimate" rulers whenever they want. That the masses do not need to accept the absolutist decrees of the King and could instead propose their own alternatives.

Question: How does the above work with this?

"Upon his coronation, Rafiq makes a radical proclamation to the assembled crowd: That he is absolute monarch by the consent of the population rather than by the will of Allah, and that hereafter the Azeri state shall be built on secular, enlightened grounds."

Granted, I'm not entirely up to speed on the exact philosophical talking points of the Enlightenment, but that there proclamation seems to already imply that the people COULD rise up if they wanted and that the king does not rule if the people don't wish it.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
The absolute monarch argument that they ruled by the consent of the population was generally stretched very far to make sure the Monarch always could be said to have had the consent of the people, and any rebellion would be argued to be a minority who are ignoring the silent majority that support the King. Occasionally you'd have rigged refendrums and the like to support the argument that the King rules with the consent of the people.

Basically it's a sham.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Though the HRE was a success in defending the independence of its minors, they grew far too weak as a result (as predicted). Luckily the recent 8-year war didn't actually lose them any territory and ended up actually unifying them at the cost of some looting and destruction. Too high BB cost for Burgundy and Poland?

cwDeici fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 27, 2012

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

cwDeici posted:

Though the HRE was a success in defending the independence of its minors, they grew far too weak as a result. Luckily the recent 8-year war didn't actually lose them any territory and ended up actually unifying them at the cost of some looting and destruction. Too high BB cost for Franconia and Poland?

Franconia may not have lost land but Burgundy annexed multiple minors in that war.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Does Rev. Germany have cores on all of Germany, or just the remaining german minors?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cynic Jester posted:

Does Rev. Germany have cores on all of Germany, or just the remaining german minors?

All German culture provinces except Switzerland.

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.
Could we get to see a culture map? In general and of germany in particular?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Hutter posted:

Seconding this, it's always nice to see what cultures are going to be like when going into the Victorian period.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Wiz posted:

So not Bohemia? I was wondering how that would work ITTL.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh
So they did lose multiple provinces to Burgundy (I can't see the changes between map 42-44 (though a few provinces were picked up between 41-42) so I guess they became vassals). I didn't expect my prediction to see them lose territory at the hands of a Burgundian-Polish alliance come true so soon (or for Italy to (wisely) be so distracted with expansion they'd abandon Franconia), not with Wallonian territories and Pommerania still around for the two of them to chew on.

Wiz posted:

And the Netherlands, right? I tried googling references to including the Netherlands in a unified Germany a week or two ago, but for many obvious reasons it didn't even register in the search results I went through or with ctrl-f 'Netherlands/Dutch/Holland/Low Countries' through various articles.
It's almost like they're a close cousin rather than a sibling.

cwDeici fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 27, 2012

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

cwDeici posted:

And the Netherlands, right? I tried googling references to including the Netherlands in a unified Germany a week or two ago, but for many obvious reasons it didn't even register in the search results I went through or with ctrl-f 'Netherlands/Dutch/Holland/Low Countries' through various articles.

If you called a person from the Benelux German they would most likely murder you, In real life anyway.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Wiz posted:

I'm not really seeing why the German part of Switzerland (which probably is smaller than IRL since Burgundy held it for a long time) wouldn't be considered a core for Revolutionary Germany.

e; Does Burgundy still have its cores on Switzerland?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hutter posted:

I'll do one at the end of EU3.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

cwDeici posted:

So they did lose multiple provinces to Burgundy (I can't see the changes between map 42-44 (though a few provinces were picked up between 41-42) so I guess they became vassals). I didn't expect my prediction to see them lose territory at the hands of a Burgundian-Polish alliance come true so soon (or for Italy to (wisely) be so distracted with expansion they'd abandon Franconia), not with Wallonian territories and Pommerania still around for the two of them to chew on.

Lowlands is their own culture group in wizmod.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

A Tartan Tory posted:

If you called a person from the Benelux German they would most likely murder you, In real life anyway.
Yeah, the question really is if that would be the case in this game. I don't remember the evolution of the Netherlands during the CK part, but the whole "The Dutch aren't German" was not exactly set in stone at the begging of CK.

Given the fact that the Netherlands has been a pretty defined polity for a long time in-game, it makes sense for it not be included in Germany though. This might be because Wiz left it out of the German culture group, but there's really no way/reason to change that now.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh

A Tartan Tory posted:

Well, obviously only Holland/Netherlands qualifies, if at that. I think it's a stretch to include them unless going further back at least to CK.

Thankfully Wiz has made them their own group.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 45: Liberalism (1790 - 1800)

As the chaos of revolution spreads over Europe and America, Azerbaijan continues to prosper under Rafiq's rule. The cities grow, new agricultural areas are claimed, and ever-increasing numbers of traders make their way along its newly constructed road networks.

To further encourage trade and invite in foreign merchants, Rafiq passes a number of laws abolishing trade privileges, monopolies and foreign trade restrictions.

With their old privileges mostly gone, the mercantile elite in Astrakhan quickly find themselves under ruthless competition from a new generation of traders that are not afraid of venturing beyond Azerbaijan's borders in search of profits.

With the revenue generated by the boom economy, Rafiq
invests in the establishment of royal mints and expansion of the naval base at Adana.

He also takes the time to wage a personal war on corruption with the help of internal security, rooting out a number of corrupt governors and ministers and having them sacked and exiled.

In 1792, the Ikko-Ikki Republic completes its unification of Japan, annexing the last remnants of the Shogunate and ending the Samurai way of life.

The revolutionary war heats up again the same year, with Poland and Sweden declaring war on Germany. Azerbaijan is drawn into the war, but waits only a few months to peace out as Rafiq has no interest in waging a war on distant European shores.

The combined might of Poland-Sweden prove unable to defeat the revolutionaries, who are fielding a vast, highly disciplined people's army recruited from the peasants and burghers of Germany. Time and time again the Polish and Swedish mercenary armies are routed and beaten back, and in the end both countries are forced to concede German territories.

The turn comes next to Burgundy, who launch an invasion of Germany's western border in 1796.

Humiliated from their defeat, the Poles go for easier prey, declaring war on Hungary and drawing Azerbaijan into an unexpected war with Greece.

The Azeri fleet is sent out to blockade the Bosporus but is attacked and destroyed by the far larger Greek fleet.

With no ability to cross into Greek lands, Rafiq negotiates a white peace after several attempts from the Greeks to cross the sound are beaten back.

Back in Europe, the Germans manage to turn the tide back on Burgundy, retaking their border provinces and achieving a white peace in 1799, leaving them at war with only a few minor German states.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
That bit of Norway in central North America is fairly ridiculous.

• Locked thread