Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Also, too much hygiene as a young child can lead to asthma, allergies and a vulnerable immune system in general.

Fake edit: Oh God, this post is the epitome of :goonsay:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Haha, looking back at some of the updates, the Azeri army really is pretty insane. We totally are the Prussia of this world. Hell, Prussia on crack, really, considering that we've had the equivalent of half a dozen Frederick William I's in a row when it comes to showering the army with money. And not spending it on useless regiments of tall men either, when it comes to the military the Azeri army is highly innovative. The army is probably a very good career option for Azerbaijanis.

Unlike the navy. "Oops, our entire fleet just got sunk. Again. BUILD ANEW." I'm guessing press gangs are the only way for people to recruit enough sailors for yet another fleet that's going to get put on the sea floor by whoever Azerbaijan is going to fight again.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

LordBaxter posted:

Those days aren't over, there's people who think that vaccinations cause autism, or are in fact secret projects by the government to implant mind-control nanobots or whatever.

Swine-flu hysteria is an example of where I went "gently caress that poo poo i'm not getting it just because the media wants to sell papers" and that had side-effects and stuff.. at least I think so?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Affi posted:

Swine-flu hysteria is an example of where I went "gently caress that poo poo i'm not getting it just because the media wants to sell papers" and that had side-effects and stuff.. at least I think so?
Swine flu hysteria is just another example of terrible science journalism. Newspapers usually cite the mortality rate at hospitals. This means that there has already been some pre-selection for people who were feeling so bad that they opted to go to the hospital. The mortality rates for a number of very mundane diseases is very high when only hospital mortality rates are reported :ssh:

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

Pakled posted:

To be fair, I'd probably be more skeptical of the vaccination back when it was a new concept than I am today, after hundreds of years have proven its effectiveness. "You want me to inject the blood of a sick cow into my body? And this is somehow supposed to prevent me from getting sick? :stare:"

To be even more fair, it wasn't the blood of a sick cow. It was the pus squeezed from the lesions on a sick cow's udder.

Lamadar
Nov 24, 2007

cwDeici posted:

What do you think history would look like if they'd caved in? Discounting effects echoing back at the US I think the Indian territories would've lasted longer (perhaps even survival for one or two?), and the US's political rise would have been slower... but maybe Canada would be part of the US now? Were the northern colonists more or less different than the Yanks were to the Dixie?

For the first part, I have no idea since there might have been an attempt at independence anyways (Granting Parliament Rep to the colonists probably would have come too late to prevent people from realizing they really don't necessarily need the King to survive.... possibly) although if the Colonists went with it, I cannot guess the consequences to history without the influence of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution would have on other colonies, especially the ones in South and Central America (Would their independence movements have been as successful? Would they be the ones to create something like a democracy and be known for their documents? or would they immediately slide into some form of dictatorship?)

As for the second question on Canada, it would probably have been united if not for us Americans losing the battle of Quebec City. There was actually some support for independence in Canada up to that point, although we mucked it up with us trying to deal with possible loyalist sympathizers in the region. Aside from the French Canadians, there wasn't much differentiating US and Canadian colonists from one another until the end of the Revolutionary war, where a significant amount of Colonists still supporting the British Empire fled to Canada, since it was still in British hands. This of course marked an end to possible unification between the two areas. Although that would have been an interesting alternate history where the US controls 2/3rds of North America (What would have the drive for "Manifest Destiny" look like in the 1840's? Would there have been more calls for the total conquest of North America? Or would it be more muted then OTL since we would have more lands to settle?)

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Dibujante posted:

FUN FAQCKS!~

The creation of the cow pox vaccine lead to the world's first dumb-gently caress pseudo-science anti-vaccination movement.

British morons, convinced of all kinds of crazy superstitious bullshit, launched an anti-vaccination campaign that produced, among other things, this bullshit anti-vaccination propaganda:

Meanwhile, in Scotland, which had, due to some fluke of history, been populated by Homo Sapiens instead of a weird offshoot of Homo Australopithecus, had no such protest movement.

The anti-vaccination protestors were mostly killed off, ironically, by a wave of smallpox that swept through Britain but strangely left Scotland alone.

I did not need you to tell me that your average Scottish citizen was much smarter than your average British citizen Sir. :colbert:

End of derail.

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011

A Tartan Tory posted:

I did not need you to tell me that your average Scottish citizen was much smarter than your average British citizen Sir. :colbert:

End of derail.

But Scotland is in Britain. :smug:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hyord posted:

But Scotland is in Britain. :smug:

But he compared averages. :smug:

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

But he compared averages. :smug:

I noticed my own mistake almost immediately after posting, but was too proud to edit my post :smug:

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

Haha, looking back at some of the updates, the Azeri army really is pretty insane. We totally are the Prussia of this world. Hell, Prussia on crack, really, considering that we've had the equivalent of half a dozen Frederick William I's in a row when it comes to showering the army with money. And not spending it on useless regiments of tall men either, when it comes to the military the Azeri army is highly innovative. The army is probably a very good career option for Azerbaijanis.

Unlike the navy. "Oops, our entire fleet just got sunk. Again. BUILD ANEW." I'm guessing press gangs are the only way for people to recruit enough sailors for yet another fleet that's going to get put on the sea floor by whoever Azerbaijan is going to fight again.

I was thinking along the same lines. While our ground forces dominate against armies many times their size, our forces at sea are so disposable and pathetic.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

With the official dedication of the new Adana shipyards, I have this strange sense of foreboding that sometime in the coming century a sultan is going to say "I want have a *real* navy!"

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Terrifying Effigies posted:

With the official dedication of the new Adana shipyards, I have this strange sense of foreboding that sometime in the coming century a sultan is going to say "I want have a *real* navy!"

Allah help us when the works of Mahan (or bizzaro-Mahan or whatever) comes to Azerbaijan.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
We've finally got a nice number of coastal territories so a proper navy is going to be a must really. There may only be a little time left until the end of EUIII but if we get involved in another war having a fleet of three-deckers and transports will mean we won't get gimped by being unable to cross straights.

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.
Yeah, you gotta remember that we are now a major mediterranean and black sea nation now, with us possessing the entirety of asia minor. If we want to project force in the region, or stopping others from projecting force on us, we need a navy of a kind.

It might be to little time left in EU3 to create a respectable navy, and a complete lack of naval national ideas will make us a little crippled. But come Vicky, we ought to pay some attention to it.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 46: The World of 1800

The old alliances are mostly gone, with the only alliance block left in Europe being the British-Espanyan alliance. The remaining powers of Europe have been unable to come together against the German threat, fighting and being defeated by the revolutionaries one at a time.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 29, 2012

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Hyord posted:

I noticed my own mistake almost immediately after posting, but was too proud to edit my post :smug:

Too proud, or too drunk? :smug:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
You posted the third image after Country Status twice.

Also, sorry if this has been asked before, but I always wonder watching these LPs why naval battles seem to be all or nothing affairs. I never see a battle where one side loses 5 ships and the other loses ten, it always seems to be one side being annihilated while the pother remains untouched. Is there a reason for this?

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Looks like Russia got into some Crimean-like war, lost a third of its armies and modernized its government.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

So when are we gonna see german napoleon flip out and conquer burgundy in like 2 months?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gerblyn posted:

You posted the third image after Country Status twice.

Also, sorry if this has been asked before, but I always wonder watching these LPs why naval battles seem to be all or nothing affairs. I never see a battle where one side loses 5 ships and the other loses ten, it always seems to be one side being annihilated while the pother remains untouched. Is there a reason for this?

That's pretty much how it is in EU3 (and most Paradox games). Naval battles are poorly balanced in the engine. The reason for this is that damage is spread out among the ships of a fleet, so whoever wins ends up with most of their ships taking a bit of damage but none sunk.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

Gerblyn posted:

The simple answer is "because the EU3 engine treats naval battles almost identically to land battles and doesn't understand that a fleet being mostly sunk or captured as the result of a battle was incredibly rare in the age of sail." Trafalgar was an exception, but most of the battles in, say, the Anglo-Dutch wars caused the sinking or capture of about 10-20% of the ships involved.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

quote:

How does samiland have such great tech :psyduck:. that makes so little sense.

Also, are there any examples from OTL of nations where the 'main' ethnic group and/or religion wasn't even a plurality like how it is in Azerbaijan right now (unless the population density in the azerbaijani provinces is really high)? Austria-Hungary comes to mind but I think that the Germans still was the largest ethnic group there.

e; discounting colonies that is.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 29, 2012

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Noooo Nan Han :(

Funny how China's only getting unified right at the end of EU3, though.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Look at that tolerance. We're actully the good guys this time :unsmith:

Also it's hilarious how Azerbaijan has a state of the art government and army, but every other tech lags 100 years behind.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So, Revolutionary Germany is kind of...terrifying. :stonk:

Kainser posted:

Also, are there any examples from OTL of nations where the 'main' ethnic group and/or religion wasn't even a plurality like how it is in Azerbaijan right now (unless the population density in the azerbaijani provinces is really high)? Austria-Hungary comes to mind but I think that the Germans still was the largest ethnic group there.

Can't remember any. Austria-Hungary had 24% Germans, but Azerbaijani Empire is like 14% Azeris...

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kainser posted:

Smaller countries in EU III get major tech bonuses because...I'm not sure. But they're just one province and in the Western group, so that makes them top of the line.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tomn posted:

Noooo Nan Han :(

Funny how China's only getting unified right at the end of EU3, though.

I hope it significantly changes China's situation for Victoria, as the Zhen are going to have just reached the height of their power with no time to decline or stagnate, and the long drawn out war to unify China would mean that military innovation and advancement would have been a much stronger focus. I imagine China's going to have real difficulty industrialising if they don't get the major Chinese ethnicities as accepted cultures (I assume they're just going to get whatever culture "muslim chinese" is repesented by), but I could see them as being a lot like Austria Hungary and on par with the europeans, at least in military terms. To be honest in this world I'm not sure there should even be uncivilised nations, there's a lot more extra-european cohesion and strength in this timeline with China, Japan, Azerbijan, Mali the Mughals and Cherokee. Practically every major region has a major native power who can stand up to the Europeans.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
For the love of god use that CB on Bulgaria, you can grab Thrace and get that AI retardation eyesore Montenegro / Bosnia area cleaned up :fap:

Rev Germany is like some kind of rear end kicking machine, they still have tons of cores left to grab and their army is comparable to Burgundy's. I hope the AI makes the most of its remaining time without blobbing too much into non-German provinces.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

For the love of God, take the City of the Worlds desire with that Casus Belli I beg you oh mighty Sultan of Sultans!

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Kainser posted:

The Qing Empire and a bunch of Mongol states would be the first examples that come to mind.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Kainser posted:

My guess is they've somehow kept a few merchants active in good CoTs. Since base tech costs are determined by how many provinces a country has, OPMs often lead the charts. Samiland's sole province should be quite poor, meaning you'd expect them to lag anyway, but if they had trade income it could push them back into contention.

quote:

The game is still only on the leading edge of the historical period in which people even cared about that kind of thing. In OTL different ethnic communities within countries mostly kept to themselves, and the French-speaking elites who actually ruled most of Europe had far more in common with one another than with their subjects.

That said, off-hand I can only think of a few countries like what you describe, at least in the modern era (the Middle Ages are rife with them). The most obvious are Qing China and the Mughal Empire.

E:
^^^^ beaten

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

A Tartan Tory posted:

For the love of God, take the City of the Worlds desire with that Casus Belli I beg you oh mighty Sultan of Sultans!

Or force Bulgaria to release Albania to pretty up their borders.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

Actually, a German napoleon would probably want to snaffle up all those German independent states first, before deciding to go and die in Russia.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Is there any way we can up our trade and production techs? I think we'll need those if we ever want to get some lovely trains in Vicky.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
We're currently getting Western Production Advisers, I think, so production tech should advance at a better rate.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Production and Trade have been left back and it seems like we'll end EU3 only halfway to being modernised in these fields. Which should make things more interesting!

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Hey Bulgaria, look. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but you're making everyone uncomfortable with your behavior. Please try to be a little more considerate.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

A Tartan Tory posted:

Going to be a bit tough without a navy.

edit: also lol we're going to have like no commerce tech in Vicky 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Dr. Tough posted:

Going to be a bit tough without a navy.

edit: also lol we're going to have like no commerce tech in Vicky 2

I'm sure the time honoured tradition of making a large navy just to force one crossing in a single war before they all get sunk can be perpetuated.

Plus, think of the borders man! The borders! They must be pretty! :smith:

• Locked thread