Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Eiba posted:

In this world... where the gently caress could Russia meet its doom? I can't see how it won't conquer the whole loving world.

TBH, I think a Swedish/Polish/German/Azeri/Persian/Zhen alliance could take on Russia 6 on 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I hope a Napoleon comes to power in Russia. A Revolutionary Empire would be a natural ally for us. Reform coming from above, an "enlightened" ruler presiding over the country, nominally by the consent of the people. The only difference between us and a Napoleonic Russia is that they'd pay lip service to revolution.

If only Russia didn't have those pesky casus belli on us. What provinces do we have that are cores of theirs? And what East Slavic culture group provinces do we have?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Eiba posted:

So in real life, the French Revolution managed to take on all of Europe and mostly win- the one foe that took it down was Russia.

In this world... where the gently caress could Russia meet its doom? I can't see how it won't conquer the whole loving world.

At this point it feels like the course of the Russian revolution will decide the fate of the world. Will it stay republican, or will it become a revolutionary empire? Freedom or despotism for the world.

I think an unified Germany + Hypermilitaristic Poland can take on Russia, especially if Burgundy/Italy join them.

Of course if they try to invade Russia...ouch. Ouch.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
AMERICA

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/33baa3fa18/charlie-goes-america-all-over-everybodys-rear end-from-velcrocity

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Eiba posted:

So in real life, the French Revolution managed to take on all of Europe and mostly win- the one foe that took it down was Russia.

At this point it feels like the course of the Russian revolution will decide the fate of the world. Will it stay republican, or will it become a revolutionary empire? Freedom or despotism for the world.

Check out the latest map. They're breaking free now.

If I recall, what allowed Russia to win the Napoleonic Wars was home field advantage. Our best bet is to forge an alliance with Zhen or any other major Chinese power, and force the Russians to split their forces. With a war on three fronts (the Western Polish/Swedish front, the Azeri/Persian southern front, and the Chinese eastern front), one of us has got to be able to make some headway into Russia :shobon:.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Revolutionary Russia hahahahahaha Azerbaijin is so screwed :suicide:

Vicky 2 looks like it's going to be amazing under this setup.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

DrProsek posted:

If I recall, what allowed Russia to win the Napoleonic Wars was home field advantage. Our best bet is to forge an alliance with Zhen or any other major Chinese power, and force the Russians to split their forces. With a war on three fronts (the Western Polish/Swedish front, the Azeri/Persian southern front, and the Chinese eastern front), one of us has got to be able to make some headway into Russia :shobon:.

That's what I was thinking. With Poland-Sweden (and German troops reinforcing them) on one side, Azerbaijani and Persian troops pushing from the south, and a big force needed to try to pacify Zhen, Russia will split its forces too many ways. Even if it is victorious on the Zhen front (and what the hell would that be like? Imposing revolutionary government on an Islamic dynasty in China?), it needs to march those troops all the way across Siberia to make a difference in the other fronts, which even in game takes well over a year if it's not all-cavalry armies.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Don't go to war against Russia in the winter either.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
So...We all agree that Zhen is probably the best ally for us atm, rather than Khwarzim then?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm really hoping that nothing drastic happens in the last update just so that we go into V2 with this awesome scenario. I mean, it's practically perfect in terms of interesting majors to play around with and just the right amount of ahistorical stuff to make it fun.

Khwarzim is a vassal and has been for quite some time.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Unfortunately, it's 1810, so we still have 25 years.

Are we ending EU3 today?

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

Dibujante posted:

Unfortunately, it's 1810, so we still have 25 years.

Are we ending EU3 today?

Wiz said in the IRC he'd be playing through the last 25 years today,I'm not sure about updates though.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Brutus Salad posted:

Wiz said in the IRC he'd be playing through the last 25 years today,I'm not sure about updates though.
Sweet, then I have something to obsessively check during my work breaks.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I kind of figured he'd stop in 1821 (the vanilla end date) so that he could have an excuse for fudging stuff during the conversion but if he goes all the way that's fine too!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Welp, there goes the neighbourhood.

And when I say neighbourhood, I mean the goddamn world.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I would have preferred transferring to Vicky in 1800 like the HohenLP. I think Vicky is better suited for "historical" scenarios than the more sandboxy EU3, and it has better tools for modders to model historical events. So the sooner we get to Vicky the better.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I wonder if this is what it was like to be in the private councils of the monarchs of Europe when France went revolutionary.

"Yes, France is dangerous, but we can take them - and more importantly, we NEED to take them. Let's form a grand coalition with so and so and so. France is mighty, but they can't take ALL of us at once. We can do this!"

Predicting that the First Coalition is going to end in spectacular failure. Any of you flagchat folks got a revolutionary flag lined up for Azerbaijan yet?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 48: The Last Armenian War (1810-1820)

Already middle aged when ascending the throne, Ertan III's reign proves to be a short one, passing away and leaving the throne to his eldest son by the same name in 1810. Ertan IV is a brilliant although somewhat shy and introvert young man, who has vowed to continue the reforms begun by his grandfather.

First however, he has to deal with the threat of war, as the King of Poland calls on Azerbaijan for help against Russian invasion. After several hours of deliberation and wavering back and forth, Ertan chooses to dishonor his alliance with Poland, declaring Azerbaijan to be neutral in what he considers a european conflict.

With ties now severed with Poland, he opts instead to align with Zhen, forming an Azeri-Persian-Mughal-Chinese axis of Muslim powers against any Russian aggression.

Russia defeats Poland, carving out a new republic from their Byelorussian territories, though they remain too busy fighting the Swedes, Germans, Hungarians and Bulgarians to consider going up against the Asian powers.

Feeling that Russia is no danger at the moment, Ertan decides to finish matters with Armenia, the once powerful Kingdom now reduced to the islands of Rhodes and Cyprus. Using a variety of archaic claims, border disputes and forged documents, he lays claim to both islands and declares war.

This time, Armenia finds defenders in an alliance of Balkan states including Bulgaria, Serbia and Bosnia, so Ertan calls on his cousin in Persia to assist him in the conflict.

The Bulgarians attempt to cross the Bosporus but are beaten back, while Azeri troops make landfall on Rhodes and Cyprus.

The fleet is then sent to keep the Bosporus open so that Persian and Azeri troops can cross over and occupy Thrace.

Rhodes falls within a year of the outbreak of war and Cyprus not long thereafter. The defeated Armenians are annexed and wiped off the map altogether.

With Armenia gone and Thrace occupied, the Bulgarians quickly sue for peace, accepting a symbolic concession of defeat. Not long thereafter, a white peace is signed with Ethiopia and the last Azeri-Armenian war comes to an end.

Screwed up on the map, wait for final map in chapter 49.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 29, 2012

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010
With A House Divided coming out next Tuesday (or is it Thursday now?), will you be using that instead of Vanilla Vicky2, Wiz?

Also Rev. Russia oh god we're all gonna die.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
That Armenia looks very un-annexed in the world map. Heresy!

edit: Azerbaijan-Persia-Mughals-Zhen axis is the best axis.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Yes, Wiz is using AHD.
Also gently caress Armenia.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I think there's a mistake, that world map still shows Armenia as independent :ssh:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

It all depends on if super-Prussia Poland can weather the coming Russian assault. Poland's probably got the best trained, best equipped army in the world, but the Russians aren't very far behind them and more importantly have an endless supply of manpower to drown them with. If Poland falls (or goes revolutionary :unsmigghh: ) then the Revolution isn't going to stop til it hits the Channel.

At least we can look on the bright side - the Russians will probably end up prettifying the Balkan borders! :v:

fakeedit - well what do you know

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Well that solves the question of whether island-Armenia should still be called that :) Good job on not grabbing Thrace too, that would have been one ugly border.

Also, I know that the mechanics behind the "War Capacity" figure are very poorly understood, but how could we possibly have begun the war at just 37% WC when we had been at peace for decades?

e: I see Italy is putting the gas on its Indian campaign (aka Operation Best Spicy Food Ever). Have they gone to war with the Mughals yet?

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 29, 2012

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 49: Before the Storm (1820)

Ertan continues to keep Azerbaijan at peace, staying neutral in the revolutionary wars even as Russia continues to rack up victories, conquering the Baltic region and carving out a Finnish Republic from Swedish territory.

Ertan's son and heir Tunga comes of age in 1820, an arrogant and boisterous young man with a very inflated sense of his own abilities.

Ertan suddenly takes ill later in the same year, and after weeks of fighting for his life passes away, leaving the throne to Tunga. Upon his coronation, Tunga makes a number of proclamations, the most important one being an order for mobilization. Azerbaijan, Tunga says, has too long stood on the sidelines while the monarchs of Europe fight against the murderous, vile Russian radicals. It is time to show the world that each Azeri soldier is worth twenty Russian scum, he boasts, claiming that Azeri armies will be in Moscow before the end of next year.

In response to his speech, the army begins its march north towards the border.

Towards Russia.

Towards war.

Final map with a few border adjustements:

Epilogue coming up tomorrow.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 30, 2013

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Tunga? That's a pretty weird name.

Zero grinder
Sep 25, 2010
Fun Shoe
Huh, that was fast.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
:aaaaa:

Welp, we're boned.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Europe has some amazingly modern-looking borders.

Mofeta
Sep 25, 2007
Turn left, Tunga!! Nooooo

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

...Revolution sounds very appealing now.

Also oh go no, Mysore no! Oh well, a north-south divide between the Mughals and Italy is pretty cool. Will the sun truly never set on the Italian Empire?

Oh hey Mexico, Louisiana and USA. America seems pretty interesting.

Also Malia appears to be collapsing a bit, I hope it is still a bit influential. Sweet West African prince, we need you in this worl.

Zhen also now has all of China after Min's gone. Aw yeah.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
The Daei dynasty is just ridiculous. If we successfully defeat Russia, then we have had an unbroken line of ubermensch going back for centuries.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Snipee posted:

The Daei dynasty is just ridiculous. If we successfully defeat Russia, then we have had an unbroken line of ubermensch going back for centuries.
Russia is going to stomp us into snot.

We are being ruled by Wilhelm II Daei.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Bye-bye Crimea.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Great timing. Just as Zhen loses their border with Russia so they can barely help us, we DOW them. Should have done this as soon as Zhen allied us.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Snipee posted:

Imagine the future internet Azeris waxing lyrical over ol' Tunga if Azerbaijan actually pulls this poo poo off.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

^^^^^ Eerily similar to how Swedish ultranationalists glorify Carl XII, the guy who led the Swedish army to a horrible ruin in a campaign against... well, I'll let you guess.

Goddamnit, I started muttering "pleasedontgetsickpleasedontgetsickpleasedontgetsick" immediately upon reading of Ertan's idiot son, and my hopes didn't even last for more than one picture :(

(Yes, there were thirteen years in between the two events, but just reading it it felt much shorter.)

So we're heading into Vicky 2 with the knowledge that a horrible, aggressive war under an incompetent ruler is going to be the first thing we deal with. Wonderful. Will make those conversion weeks a relaxed wait, I'm sure.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 29, 2012

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

In the aftermath of the Revolution's death in Germany would we likely see a significant migration of German radicals into Russia? Historically almost 2.5 million ended up in Russia by the end of Vicky (1914) and that wasn't even with an ideological reason to go there. Even with the compromises of a constitutional monarchy Germany can't be a very welcoming place for the true believers right now, and the Russian Republic has millions of square miles of empty land to fill up (not to mention the need for millions of troops to throw into the meatgrinder).

I'm just thinking in terms of Vicky's pop demographics and migration mechanics.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I suppose it's appropriate that the long, proud, and glorious line of Daei will end in an apocalyptic war against the greatest and most terrifying power ever to stride the Earth. Nobody can ever say that a Daei half-assed anything, even suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

... so you see, following that the will of the People cannot be reasonably interpreted down to the individual level, a legitimate government should operate purely through coin-flips...
What I don't get is why the army is following the Daei monarch at this point. It is possible the Azeri army might triumph, but it is also possible it might be squashed, and the generals know that. And losing doesn't just mean losing a couple provinces, it means possible revolution at home and an overthrow of the entire system.

It's more plausible for the army to march in Baku, murder Tunga, and declare a Republican Dictatorship than let this dumb King basically destroy everything they have created. The army has dominated Azerbaijan for so long that they can dispense with the figurehead and rule directly.

• Locked thread