Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

I would definitely watch some STEPPE WOLF action.

In more relevant news looking forward to the Epilogue and (hopefully?) WizmodEU3scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

That said, I can't figure out if 1.07, or the 1.02 link (which goes to a file titled 1.03) is actually the latest version. I feel this is the best start Steppe Wolf could have.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Some more highlights of 1954:

-A Tampa man named Paul Miller rose up and declared himself King of America.

-We discovered the French Revolution.

-Pirates blockaded Wake Island. I didn't get a screen of this because the game crashed, 6 months into gameplay.

edit: Oh and I wouldn't worry about the Vietnam War, they settled for 25 ducats. Apparently Ho Chi Minh is an ancient coin collector.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

So is the mod the LP is based on set to be released when the Epilogue hits? I'm so freakin' excited about this thing!!!

What exactly will it include? Everything? Because that would be wonderful.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Veloxyll posted:

You know, I was tempted to do a screenshot post of setup tonight then stream tomorrow. But now. Now I'm keeping all this insanity for real time interaction. We'll all go through the madhouse TOGETHER.
You better post when exactly this poo poo is going to start, I want to watch from Roman America :(

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Coolodile posted:

I loaded up a game of SteppeWolf as the US during the Vietnam war. These are the things I notice before I even unpause the game:

-The mission I have is to create a fleet.

This is actually a fair simulation of the military-industrial complex.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

skipThings posted:

You better post when exactly this poo poo is going to start, I want to watch from Roman America :(

Well, seeing as I got 1.03 to work at least - looks like I'll start in about 13-14 hours. So starting about 9 or 10 pm GMT. This will be some sort of amazing, though I'm not certain what. I'll post in the thread here when I'm starting the stream up.

And I'll play till either a) I win by Bulgarianising the whole world, b) It crashes so bad that the game is unrecoverable.

Or, after a few hours c) is possible - I get bored :p

I'm betting a and b will happen providing there's audience participation from chat or whatever

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Veloxyll posted:

That said, I can't figure out if 1.07, or the 1.02 link (which goes to a file titled 1.03) is actually the latest version. I feel this is the best start Steppe Wolf could have.

I think the 1.07 is the latest version, found here (the site in the thread Wiz linked to links to the creator's site, which in turn links you to gamefront. I saved you a couple steps). Best of luck, I'd love to see it, but this game is so unstable, I don't imagine the LP would be longer than an hour or so.

BTW, a few more fun facts;

Pope Pius XII has been Pope since WWII. Load up any post WWII date, check the Papal States, same pope all the time.

The Papal States are Religious Tolerance in 2010. I know the Papacy has been moving to improve relations with other religions, but I think that's taking it far.

A Religious Tolerance theocracy is lead by an archbishop.

Rome can found Macedonia. So I did (for some reason I needed Persian provinces. It'd make sense if this was the Seleucids (spelling is hard :saddowns:, thanks The Narrator) I was reforming, but this is Macedonia :confused:)

Roman soldiers are completely useless. I will lose soldiers by the thousand in any battle despite having equal tech and, ya know, being Rome. Thankfully, my manpower is so insane I can just throw 300 soldiers at any given war, but it's still annoying. I think that's how the modder reflects the Roman empire's collapse or something. O, and it makes assaulting forts impossible; forts never lose a single soldier.

The Confederate States can found Rome! All you need to do is conquer Italy, and the Empire shall rise again! :hist101: You can also found Great Britain, for some reason.

Mexicans are Castilians. Literally, there is no Mexican culture, or at least the Mexicans don't use it.

There is a spy action called Add Core, which gives you a core on a province! There's another decision called Steal Province. It also adds a core, but is much harder and more costly. I modded it to actually take provinces, because I felt that was more in the spirit of the mod.

Fun times.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 30, 2012

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

NihilCredo posted:

The Halberdier in the middle of the Black Sea was the best part for me. Was it a misplaced map coordinate, or is that supposed to be a naval unit?

It was a fleet.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Steppe Wolf is not so unstable if you start in 11AD. The problem is that an 11AD start is kind of boring once you get past the initial insanity of battering rams dominating the battlefield and Native Americans getting access to Hungarian cavalry in 200ad, because it is always the same blobs covering the map.

I played a game as Zoroastrian Potawatomi (native tribe in Michigan) up to about 500ad and ended up conquering all of North America with my roman ballistas and Magyar cavalry. I also got a PU going with a state in India around 300ad, and managed to convert to Chinese techgroup after Korea started colonizing Panama around 400ad. After that not a whole lot happened though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DrProsek posted:

Rome can found Macedonia. So I did (for some reason I needed Persian provinces. It'd make sense if this was the Seculids I was reforming, but this is Macedonia :confused:)
To see such lacking historical knowledge in an EU3 player, it is a pity. Have you never heard of the great Alexander and his conquest of the world?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Wiz posted:

After that not a whole lot happened though.

Maybe human society in your timeline moved beyond petty conflict and embraced global peace rather than constant warfare. Maybe this mod is actually quite a bit deeper than it's given credit for.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bohemian Nights posted:

Maybe human society in your timeline moved beyond petty conflict and embraced global peace rather than constant warfare. Maybe this mod is actually quite a bit deeper than it's given credit for.

Well, the mod does have a decision 'We are pacifist' which lowers your revolt risk by 2 and army tradition by 1 for one year. It requires 150 provinces and costs 700 gold.

There are also decisions where you can spend 1000 gold to get one missionary, or 7000 gold to get a 10% tech discount for one year.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yugoslavia? No such thing. :colbert:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

A Buttery Pastry posted:

To see such lacking historical knowledge in an EU3 player, it is a pity. Have you never heard of the great Alexander and his conquest of the world?

Yes, but the Persian provinces were hardly regarded as core Macedonians lands, and Macedonia was a pretty well-off state even before Alexander did his thing all up and down Asia. That's why he's confused that Macedonia, not the Seleucids (whom you'll probably know as the inheritors of Alexander's conquests in the East), requires Persian provinces.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Wiz posted:

Steppe Wolf is not so unstable if you start in 11AD. The problem is that an 11AD start is kind of boring once you get past the initial insanity of battering rams dominating the battlefield and Native Americans getting access to Hungarian cavalry in 200ad, because it is always the same blobs covering the map.

I played a game as Zoroastrian Potawatomi (native tribe in Michigan) up to about 500ad and ended up conquering all of North America with my roman ballistas and Magyar cavalry. I also got a PU going with a state in India around 300ad, and managed to convert to Chinese techgroup after Korea started colonizing Panama around 400ad. After that not a whole lot happened though.

The US is the most fun because virtually every province is just a colony which you can take over. I did this as the Jewish Apache but now it's boring because it takes ages to get to your first NI so you can actually get some colonists.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Another thing: Truces have been reduced to 2.5 years in STEPPE WOLFE, so it's not unusual to be called into the same war 4-5 times, and hordes are even more insufferable than in vanilla.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The Narrator posted:

Yes, but the Persian provinces were hardly regarded as core Macedonians lands, and Macedonia was a pretty well-off state even before Alexander did his thing all up and down Asia. That's why he's confused that Macedonia, not the Seleucids (whom you'll probably know as the inheritors of Alexander's conquests in the East), requires Persian provinces.
My Bulgarian impersonation failed. :(

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jeoh posted:

The US is the most fun because virtually every province is just a colony which you can take over. I did this as the Jewish Apache but now it's boring because it takes ages to get to your first NI so you can actually get some colonists.

Theres always coastal COTs for some colonist generation. Given that he made a faction inclusion version for europe, I can't wait to see what happened to hordes :D

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jeoh posted:

Just open the console and type 'colonists' and 'cash' everytime you need them. Gosh, it's like you never played this game before!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Wiz posted:

Yugoslavia? No such thing. :colbert:

Technically, 'Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes' was the official name for that entity from its founding in 1918, but that name was phased out some time around 1929 in favour of Yugoslavia. :eng101:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

AJ_Impy posted:

Technically, 'Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes' was the official name for that entity from its founding in 1918, but that name was phased out some time around 1929 in favour of Yugoslavia. :eng101:

loving Bosniaks and Montenegrins never got any recognition.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

A Tartan Tory posted:

loving Bosniaks and Montenegrins never got any recognition.
They're just confused Serbs, everyone knows that.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Coolodile posted:

I know this is from a few pages back, before the SteppeWolf stuff, but Wiz I'm going to ask you not to do this, and keep it named Missouri. In fact, I'm pretending that the George Washington of this timeline is Thomas Hart Benton, just because.

I didn't mean Missouri, I meant New England. 'cause seriously, look at New England. Revolted from the same nation, in the same time frame, in the same place. It's the USA.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Coolodile posted:

-We discovered the French Revolution.

Apparently the United States worships the Spirits of Religious Tolerance (Unless you decided to get the hippie movement started a bit early or something.)

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

A Buttery Pastry posted:

My Bulgarian impersonation failed. :(

Oh :( my mistake.

On topic (kinda), making fun/being in awe of Steppe Wolfe makes a nice, relaxed interlude between that cliffhanger of EU3's ending and what's going to be a frightening entry to Vicky 2. With this king, I'm almost tempted to say Azerbaijan has reached its zenith and is now on the decline, starting with a Napoleon-wannabe king...

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Tomn posted:

Apparently the United States worships the Spirits of Religious Tolerance (Unless you decided to get the hippie movement started a bit early or something.)

I wonder, are they jealous spirits, or are they cool with an open relationship? Like, are they gonna get all pissy if I hang around with some pagan deities on the weekends?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 50: Epilogue

Before leaving to join the army at the Russian border, Tunga goes for a walk in Tabriz, thinking about the changes brought by his predecessors. He inspects the new city walls built by his father, visits the textile manufacturies founded by his great-grandfather, and strolls through the ancient halls of the university founded by Aram III. As he thinks of the years left behind, a shiver of premonition passes through him, and he suddenly knows that the outbreak of this war marks the passing of an age.

In its place, a new age is dawning. An age of industralization and civilization...

An age of empires...

... but above all, an age of war.

Instead of listing alliances, here is a snapshot of major powers / interesting countries at the end of the game:

Wiz fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 30, 2013

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

According to that poo poo we are the 9th most powerful nation in the world.

:hellyeah:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I didn't mean Missouri, I meant New England. 'cause seriously, look at New England. Revolted from the same nation, in the same time frame, in the same place. It's the USA.

The name came from each of the colonies being a separate "state". Circumstances might be different in this timeline, especially since there are other independent countries on the continent who also see themselves as "Americans". It was the American Federation in the Hohenzollern LP, why not the Republic of New England or whatever this time?

Fake Edit: Ragusa took back Dalmatia! :woop:

Ogianres
Oct 21, 2008
I noticed a lot of nations with less than full National Ideas having QftNW. Wiz, what will it mean, in Vicky terms, for these ostensibly unciv or low-tech civ nations to have this idea?

In addition, a lot of despotic-looking places have Bill of Rights as a national idea. How will that affect politics in these states to have centralized absolutist regimes and bills of rights?

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Is that the entirety of New Zealand occupied by rebels?

e- and how has Italy and the Netherlands managed to keep such good control of their overseas possessions compared to Espanya, Norway and Great Britain?

Divorced And Curious fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 30, 2012

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ogianres posted:

I noticed a lot of nations with less than full National Ideas having QftNW. Wiz, what will it mean, in Vicky terms, for these ostensibly unciv or low-tech civ nations to have this idea?

In addition, a lot of despotic-looking places have Bill of Rights as a national idea. How will that affect politics in these states to have centralized absolutist regimes and bills of rights?

I won't be able to integrate every little contradictory thing. Many things will simply not be considered during conversion.

Tony Jowns posted:

Is that the entirety of New Zealand occupied by rebels?

Yes.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

For some reason "absolute duchy" is hilarious to me

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tony Jowns posted:

e- and how has Italy and the Netherlands managed to keep such good control of their overseas possessions compared to Espanya, Norway and Great Britain?

Less wars and luck. There's an accelerationism mechanic so once a country gets one independence movement they're much more likely to get more of them.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Hey Wiz, can I request a religious map of Europe before you start your conversion?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Oh, I knew I forgot something. I'll get religious and cultural maps.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
So. How can Zhen help us? They have massive manpower and income, but they share no borders with Russia.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
So what kind of penalties will we have for our awful production, trade and naval techs wiz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Wiz posted:

Oh, I knew I forgot something. I'll get religious and cultural maps.

Thank you very much Sir!

I do so love religious history. :ohdear:

• Locked thread