Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Excellent. Also, England looks to be pretty good at unifying the isle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Frionnel posted:

Blame the Romans and the Greeks. Notice the other Caucasus.

Alexander had one hell of an ego.

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

... so you see, following that the will of the People cannot be reasonably interpreted down to the individual level, a legitimate government should operate purely through coin-flips...

gradenko_2000 posted:

Crusader armies diverting to Byzantium and sacking it: Is this something that normally happens in the game, as in some kingdom randomly decides to attack Constantinople, or is it that Constantinople becomes a Crusade-target, or was something else (you mentioned Syria) a Crusade target in your game but the AI decided to use its armies on Constantinople instead?
The whole "Crusade" thing is just fluff and a reference to the 4th Crusade, which CK does not model. What I believe actually happened was that Italy had a claim on the province of Byzantion, fought a war against Byzantium, and won said war, forcing them to give up the province of Byzantion to the Italians.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

sniper4625 posted:

Thankfully, with our advanced Islamic medicinal techniques, it will be quickly stamped out and we will see no lasting ill effects. Right?

As I recall from my college classes, a comparable percentage of the Middle East died from the Black Death before it spread to Europe via Italian traders. On the plus side, being so far to the eastern end of the map means Azerbaijan got it early, and will thus recover sooner than its more western neighbors.

I seem to recall that more than one Crusade sacked Constantinople, too. The later Crusades were more like roving bands of Christian mercenaries than any real concerted invasion attempt.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day

sniper4625 posted:

Excellent. Also, England looks to be pretty good at unifying the isle.

In my game it's around 1150 and I'm Currently the king of England, wales, Scotland, Ireland, Brittany and the isles. I also have a vassal in Spain and one of my Norman vassals inherited a ducal title for the south of Italy, and another inherited a property in sicily. Thankfully they both declared independence.

I've started playing again and I'm attempting to just rush through to 1400 now, I've made all the territory gains I want and barring any "Your courtier wants a shitload of money" or "You've had a falling out with your wife" events I should be able to just bribe any momentarily disloyal vassals. I just wish there was some way to tell how close I was to a stability upgrade.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Frionnel posted:

Blame the Romans and the Greeks. Notice the other Caucasus.

Fun fact: Alexandria in Arachosia is modern day Kandahar.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
What happens when the game reaches its final year (I assume it has one)? Does the game say "Welp, it's 13XX. Hope you had fun" and end?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

AgentF posted:

What happens when the game reaches its final year (I assume it has one)? Does the game say "Welp, it's 13XX. Hope you had fun" and end?

I think it gives you a ranking of countries, but that's about it.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Also, CK goes until 1453, but since EU3 is a better game and starts at 1399, Wiz is probably going to be switching over before CK actually ends. It's still 70 years until he can start EU3 unless he wants to go through and rebalance all of the techs, which is a huge pain.

Sandono
Apr 9, 2009

LordBaxter posted:

In my game it's around 1150 and I'm Currently the king of England, wales, Scotland, Ireland, Brittany and the isles. I also have a vassal in Spain and one of my Norman vassals inherited a ducal title for the south of Italy, and another inherited a property in sicily. Thankfully they both declared independence.

I've started playing again and I'm attempting to just rush through to 1400 now, I've made all the territory gains I want and barring any "Your courtier wants a shitload of money" or "You've had a falling out with your wife" events I should be able to just bribe any momentarily disloyal vassals. I just wish there was some way to tell how close I was to a stability upgrade.

Speaking of which, why the gently caress is it that the only way to appease a courtier or one's wife is to pay them anywhere from an entire castle to a huge fortress worth of wealth? How does that make any sense?

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

LordBaxter posted:

I just wish there was some way to tell how close I was to a stability upgrade.

If I recall correctly, even stability upgrades are MTTH-type random events in CK (influenced by conditions such as being at peace and not in debt, of course, and probably a variety of others factors), so there isn't even a "how close" to keep track of.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day

thark posted:

If I recall correctly, even stability upgrades are MTTH-type random events in CK (influenced by conditions such as being at peace and not in debt, of course, and probably a variety of others factors), so there isn't even a "how close" to keep track of.

Yeah I just found a guide on stability, goddamn I hate the amount of random events this game has. The only stability increases I've ever gotten are "Barons can improve the miserable level of stability in the realm" events to return me to 0.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Sandono posted:

Speaking of which, why the gently caress is it that the only way to appease a courtier or one's wife is to pay them anywhere from an entire castle to a huge fortress worth of wealth? How does that make any sense?

What, you can't :black101::j:?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

AgentF posted:

What, you can't :black101::j:?

You can, but Kinslayer is a pretty awful characteristic for a ruler to pick up.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Conskill posted:

You can, but Kinslayer is a pretty awful characteristic for a ruler to pick up.

Only if you get caught. :colbert:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Crusader armies diverting to Byzantium and sacking it: Is this something that normally happens in the game, as in some kingdom randomly decides to attack Constantinople, or is it that Constantinople becomes a Crusade-target, or was something else (you mentioned Syria) a Crusade target in your game but the AI decided to use its armies on Constantinople instead?

There wasn't an actual crusade, Naples just got a claim on the province and conquered it, the rest I made up.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Spiderfist Island posted:

I've been noticing that Bulgaria's been steadily growing/not shrinking for the last few updates. Anything interesting going on there or is it just a case of a bunch of lucky rulers?

Just strong rulers.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

theblastizard posted:

Note Bucephalos, founded to commemorate the death of his beloved horse.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Riso posted:

Note Bucephalos, founded to commemorate the death of his beloved horse.
And the official name of the city was Alexandria Bucephalus, just in case anyone forgot who rode that horse

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 15: Death Marches On (1330 - 1340)

Wiz fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 3, 2011

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Ouch

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
The Black Plague is basically CK's way of saying "Hey, so gently caress you then."

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The Black Plague is basically CK's way of saying "Hey, so gently caress you then."

That and the mongols, yes. It's a nice one-two punch in the balls if you're in the eastern part of the map.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

At least Qutaiba's not dead! Yet...

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

On the up side, King Incompetent died. So long as his heir gets on the throne... hell, even if he dies we might end up the better for it if the Egyptian cousin gets the throne.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Grandfather Nurgle is pleased. :zpatriot:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Klaus88 posted:

Grandfather Nurgle is pleased. :zpatriot:

drat, now I want a Black Crusader Kings. Christians = Imperials, Mongols = Khornites, Muslims = Tau, Heretics = Heretics. Counties = Planets / Moons, Duchies = Systems, Kingdoms = Subsectors, Empires = Segmenta. All you'd have to do is change the map and alter some names.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

nimby posted:

At least Qutaiba's not dead! Yet...

The King is dead! Long live the King!

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

Tomn posted:

The King is dead! Long live the King!

Perhaps if the thread's religious officials were more attentive to their duties Allah would not have stricken Azerbaijan with this pestilence.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
It's a good point about being one of the first states to recover.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Ilanin posted:

Perhaps if the thread's religious officials were more attentive to their duties Allah would not have stricken Azerbaijan with this pestilence.

Remember when we had a Sufi Sultan? Those were some good times. Now look at us.

How many more wraths must Allah send us before we realise Sufism is the true path we must walk and that we must all chill out in his name?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I trust the next Sultan to finally see the light of Sufism and end this catastrophe.

At least this will also hit the mongols pretty hard.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Nevets posted:

drat, now I want a Black Crusader Kings. Christians = Imperials, Mongols = Khornites, Muslims = Tau, Heretics = Heretics. Counties = Planets / Moons, Duchies = Systems, Kingdoms = Subsectors, Empires = Segmenta. All you'd have to do is change the map and alter some names.

The Mongols are clearly Tyranids.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Ilanin posted:

Hey, I was appointed to this role without my knowledge, blame the one who selected me. Howsomever, you do have a point. Ahem!

نحن نشرب دماء
ونحن نأكل الجسم
رفع الجسم من الشيطان!
البرد!
حائل، حائل المسيح الدجال!
البرد الشيطان!

If that doesn't get us back on track I don't know what will.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Well I've started playing again since the start of this LP. Its around year 1117 and I'm a playing a Sami Duke of the Eastern Sames that I noticed turn Catholic early on.

The crazy thing is Leon conquered most of its usual Spanish provinces early and somewhere in the last decade they now control most of France and large chunks of England, Ireland, Germany, and Greece. I'm just leering at those blue tendrils creeping across Europe from my backward little three province Finnish Duchy.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

theblastizard posted:

The Mongols are clearly Tyranids.

Then the 'Black' Crusader Kings joke wouldn't work.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

theblastizard posted:

It's hard not to have one when you conquer half of the known world and also never lose a battle.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 16: Weight of the World (1340 - 1350)

What begun as an epidemic in Crimea quickly spread across the Middle East and from there to Italy and Europe. For ten long years, the Black Death has held the world in its grip, two waves of disease killing indiscriminately among high and low, with no regard for sex or age.

In Azerbaijan, the Bubonic Plague took the life of Sultan Qutaiba's father, and the Pnemonic Plauge the lives of his sons. The loss of their children drove him and his wife apart and turned their happy marriage into a bitter rivalry.

Still, he is alive, and the plagues have passed at long last.

No-one can be sure just how many lives have been lost in Azerbaijan, but all across the realm are empty villages and untended fields. Poverty and despair rules the day, and men who were wealthy landowners a few years ago are now reduced to working their own lands to put food in the bellies of their families.

Of the courtiers that served his father, most were taken away in the plague and a new generation of advisors are serving on Qutaiba's council.

Still, the Ildeguzids of Azerbaijan are comparatively well off. In Egypt, the dynasty was all but wiped out, and a Persian dynasty now sits on the Egyptian throne.

The Il-Khanate was also hit bad, breaking apart at the seams as Khan after Khan fell victim to plague, and the Emir of Khorasan has shrugged off Mongol rule and made himself Sultan of Persia.

Slowly, a sense of normalcy begins to turn to Azerbaijan. Though tax incomes are still little more than a trickle, what money comes in is spent on building up the country's fortifications, for the Golden Horde to the north remains strong and seems to have escaped the worst of the plagues.

Qutaiba, however, seems distracted and unwilling to handle the day-to-day rule. Not even the recognition by the other branches of the dynasty as a true son of Nasir is enough to shake him out of his dark cloud of stress and depression.

Between the death of his sons, the endless feuding with his wife, and the economic depression in his realm, it seems as though the weight of the world is on Qutaiba's shoulders.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 7, 2011

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Poland falls, Greece rises. The circle of CK continues.

And Germany is completely gone. What a shame.

Is that a lack of Brittany I see? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Tomn, you fool!

Quickly I must...

فرك يصفه يصفه
شكرا لنكش
ياي الله

... there. It is finished.

• Locked thread