Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Patter Song posted:

BTW, Wiz, is religious conversion as easy in CK as it is in EU3? I'd like some "Kill people, take their poo poo, convert the remainder to the pure and holy word of the Prophet (pbuh) and then releasing them" action.

Memory's a bit fuzzy, but I think it's almost solely random chance. However, if an event pops up where religious unrest rises, you can increase your chances of conversion by offering conversion or death, at the cost of riots. Almost nothing you can directly do to boost conversion, though, I THINK.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

It updates the graphics, and makes a ton of small tweaks, some more noticeable than others. One of the biggest changes is breaking Switzerland into more chunks, instead of two large provinces, you get six smaller ones. Also buildings follow a specific building pathway along tech lines (for example, government tech: Church, leads to courthouse, leads to spy agency, leads to town hall, leads to college...)

To add to that last bit, I'll note that the new building tree also means that smaller, but technologically-advanced nations can punch considerably above their weight - those building bonuses are bloody powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.
Yes, another Wiz LP! \o/ Having taken a break after Crete, I'm excited for this bit.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
1. Take Jerusalem
2. Get converted

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why are you using the infidels' dating system? It is quite clearly 608 AH!

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Oh god yes, another Wiz LP, and one that's not mired in asinine goon-ness. Can't wait!

How long do you think it will take for us to politically regress to a time period before Islam existed? :v:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

meatbag posted:

How long do you think it will take for us to politically regress to a time period before Islam existed? :v:

You mean pro-gress? ZING!

/sorry

OHNONINJA
Sep 11, 2006

Tomn posted:

Memory's a bit fuzzy, but I think it's almost solely random chance. However, if an event pops up where religious unrest rises, you can increase your chances of conversion by offering conversion or death, at the cost of riots. Almost nothing you can directly do to boost conversion, though, I THINK.

It's modified by your ruler's traits, actually. If you have a Zealous ruler who had an Ecclesiastic education (The higher the better), it increases the chance of it happening by multiples. It's also a great way to boost Piety. (At least, I'm pretty sure both on the traits and Ecclesiastic Education, it's been a while since I modded CK)

Almost everything in CK is random, with traits modifying the chance to happen.

OHNONINJA fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 5, 2011

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010

Wiz posted:

In 1187 the dominant population was Turkic, the native Azeri language actually died out in the following centuries and Turkic influence remained heavy. As far as I know Azerbaijanis are still considered Turkic, or at least something like a mix between Iranian and Turkic.

According to some Turkish acquintances, (current) Azeri and Turkish languages are mutually understandable.

Also, I loved the Hohenzollern LP, and I'm betting on it I'll love this as well.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Jimmy4400nav posted:

It updates the graphics, and makes a ton of small tweaks, some more noticeable than others. One of the biggest changes is breaking Switzerland into more chunks, instead of two large provinces, you get six smaller ones. Also buildings follow a specific building pathway along tech lines (for example, government tech: Church, leads to courthouse, leads to spy agency, leads to town hall, leads to college...)
Did they finally correct the ethnic makeup as well? In vanilla EU3 HTTT both Swiss provinces were Rheinlaender; even the whole world mod didn't do anything to simulate the French and Italian minorities. :(

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
And so it begins, at long last.

My constant, sole regret with Crete was not getting involved earlier. Count me in on the ground floor this time.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

lonelywurm posted:

Did they finally correct the ethnic makeup as well? In vanilla EU3 HTTT both Swiss provinces were Rheinlaender; even the whole world mod didn't do anything to simulate the French and Italian minorities. :(

The Swiss still fall under the Rheinlander culture in Divine Wind.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

OHNONINJA posted:

It's modified by your ruler's traits, actually. If you have a Zealous ruler who had an Ecclesiastic education (The higher the better), it increases the chance of it happening by multiples. It's also a great way to boost Piety. (At least, I'm pretty sure both on the traits and Ecclesiastic Education, it's been a while since I modded CK)

Almost everything in CK is random, with traits modifying the chance to happen.

Additionally what type of religious unrest event you get is modified by which class holds the most power, I think Nobles give the highest % to convert the province's religion, It's either them or clergy and I'm too lazy to check right now.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Patter Song posted:

BTW, Wiz, is religious conversion as easy in CK as it is in EU3? I'd like some "Kill people, take their poo poo, convert the remainder to the pure and holy word of the Prophet (pbuh) and then releasing them" action.

It's not too difficult no, typically you get some random event like 'the peasants are uppity about religion' and you can choose to crack down on them and have a chance of converting the province in exchange for short-term bad effects.

As I recall it takes a lot longer for muslims to convert provinces than catholics though.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 2: The Third Crusade (1190 - 1200)

Dedicated to the growth of his dynasty, Qizil acquires several new concubines and spends some time with them, resulting in two sons.

He also continues to visit his increasingly cold wife, who gives birth to another daughter.

The Cumans go to war with Khwarizm in 1191, but Qizil politely declines joining in the conflict, happy to let the two great powers go at each other.

The choice of his bitter wife for a steward turns out to be a bad one, as she appoints members of her own family to manage the treasury, resulting in large-scale embezzlement. After a particularily large sum of money goes 'missing', Qizil dismisses her for a less competent but more loyal replacement.

Qizil's marshal picks this exact moment, with the treasury in the red, to demand his services to the Sultan be generously rewarded. Qizil has the guards chase him out of the palace in rage, resulting in the marshal defecting to one of Qizil's vassals.

In 1192, Saladin's first war against Jerusalem ends with a minor victory as the territories of Jaffa-Ascalon are retaken for Islam.

In response, the Pope calls for all Christian princes to march on Alexandria, proclaiming the Third Crusade. Emperor Barbarossa is the first to answer the call, declaring war on Saladin and preparing his armies for the journey to Egypt.

Back in Azerbaijan, the petty conflict between Qizil and Ayse continues, as nasty rumors spread by her results in Qizil getting a reputation for cruelty. Exhausted from the constant domestic conflict, Qizil retreats into a deep depression, refusing to leave the company of his favorite concubine and completely ignoring the affairs of state.

It is up to his new marshal to respond to the threat of the Hospitallers order establishing a stronghold in Vaspakuran, on the very border to Azerbaijan itself, which he does by ordering the construction of a new castle and a quartering house for Ghazi.

The ill tide of news continues with the death of Saladin in battle against Barbarossa, and the division of the Fatimids between his heirs. The new Fatimid ruler is a weak and cowardly man, and his brother is a child-sultan who holds the title to Egypt.

With such weak rulers, Egypt is an easy prey for the crusaders, and in 1196 Alexandria falls.

Such news are enough to finally shake Qizil out of his depression, and he comes out of the harem, calls his vassals and warriors to him, and proclaims that the time has come to drive the christians out of Vaspakuran.

First, however, he decides to consolidate his power by conquering the tiny Chiefdom of Derbent on Azerbaijan's northern border.

The Chief of Derbent attempts to offer tribute in exchange for peace, but Qizil is not interested, and his armies quickly capture, sack and conquer Derbent.

With Derbent now under his control, Qizil feels that his holdings are sufficient to proclaim the new Emirate of Derbent, with himself as its Emir, enhancing his prestige greatly.

Preparations next begin for the invasion of Vaspakuran, but the Hospitallers learn of his plan and pre-empt him by declaring war along with their overlords in Jerusalem.

Taken by surprise, all Qizil can do is call for a grand mobilization of all his vassals.

He only has time to gather some half of his armies before the Crusaders attack, and outnumbered and outmatched, the Azerbaijani army is broken on the lances of the Christian knights.

Fortunately, the Fatimids pick this time to resume hostilities with Jerusalem, and Queen Sibylla offers peace in exchange for the payment of a modest tribute, which Qizil quickly accepts.

A broken and defeated man, Qizil dies in November of 1199, having amounted to little and passing the reins of Azerbaijan to his eleven year old son Murad.

Everywhere across the world, Islam is in retreat. The last war with Jerusalem has ended in utter defeat, and the Fatimids now control little more than a few scattered provinces, their empire shattered into independent Sultanates and Emirates, while German crusaders hold Alexandria and several other outposts in Egypt.

In Anatolia, the Sultanate of Rum has been all but conquered by Armenia, while the Byzantines are experiencing a period of unusual internal harmony.

In Iberia, the Almohads have lost control over most of their Andalucian holdings, and the Kingdom of Leon has conquered the remnants of Castille and reversed all the gains made by Caliph Abu.

As the Third Crusade comes to a close, it seems that Islam itself is under the most dire of threats.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 3, 2011

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Wellp, things seem to be going well for you (in all honesty, at least the collapse of the fatimids gives a direction for expansion). Still - countdown to annexation anyone?

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Eiba posted:

Take over Georgia. Experience centuries of intractable religious conflict. Eventually get to the point where the only way to survive as a country is to be tolerant of other religions. Go on to become a liberal beacon of peace and tolerance for all the world to look up to, where Christians and Muslims live together in peace and brotherhood.

They have so much potential when they're young, but so many paradox LPs just grow up to be cruel religious zealots. Such a pity.
TBF unless you are the Ottomans going tolerant is a bad idea in EU3. The boosts you can get using a republic or having high Legitimacy and taking the tolerance ideas aren't as good as just converting the province.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

theblastizard posted:

TBF unless you are the Ottomans going tolerant is a bad idea in EU3. The boosts you can get using a republic or having high Legitimacy and taking the tolerance ideas aren't as good as just converting the province.

Converting is a lot harder / more expensive in my version of DW.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
How the hell are the Hospitaliers this far east already?

Saladin dead, the Muslims fractured...Saurus does have a point. We (and Khwarizm, I suppose) have a potential to grow into the vacuum and be some semblance of...something before Ilkhanate comes along in ~50 years to wreck our poo poo.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
We are in fact in a prime position to get double teamed by the Ilkhanate and GH.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
drat, we're really going to be the greatest Muslim power in 50 years at this rate. The Black Death can't come soon enough. (Do we get hit?)

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
It is a shame what is happening to our fellow brothers of the faith, but where they have failed we shall succeed. We must continue preparations for our eventual reclamation of the holy land.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I would just like to say that I hosed gorgo's mom.

Oh, hey, another Wiz lp. Cool!

And it looks like Islam's in trouble. Wiz, you need to drive those infidels out! Or, convert and help crush those heathens!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

If we get conquered, can we tag switch to whoever takes control of us? Because I can really see that happening.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kavak posted:

If we get conquered, can we tag switch to whoever takes control of us? Because I can really see that happening.

CK is one of the easier games to deal with a possible annexation, just pledge alliance to whoever is beating you and become part of his realm. Your kingdom may fall, but your lineage will live on.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

ZearothK posted:

CK is one of the easier games to deal with a possible annexation, just pledge alliance to whoever is beating you and become part of his realm. Your kingdom may fall, but your lineage will live on.

You can't pledge allegiance to a power with an equivalent or lower title, so we'd be screwed since we have a king title.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
The great Saladin is not dead, ladies and gentleman, for i know he now rests with the angels, ready to come for the aid of Islam in a time of great peril!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Alternatively, start a new LP. Nothing wrong with a quick shorty.

My desire to see Wiz tackle that one tribe of jewish turks has nothing to do with this opinion :jewish:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
The crusaders are at our gate: Our path is clear. In the name of the prophet (pbuh) we shall drive the infidel from our borders, from the holy cities, then from the shores of islamic lands altogether! They have chosen the sword!

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Maybe we should give the sultan title away and then become a vassal of the Khwarzaim for our protection :ohdear:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

Alternatively, start a new LP. Nothing wrong with a quick shorty.

My desire to see Wiz tackle that one tribe of jewish turks has nothing to do with this opinion :jewish:

I remember an LP of those guys. The guy made them a fairly big power, then switched to the leader of one of tribes they absorbed who was the new leader of the Teutonic Knights.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Only weaklings and cowards speak of resigning, know that our prophet Muhammad did not falter at his weakest moment, and neither shall we. With the help of God we shall reclaim what is rightly ours, and help our brethren as they fall to the strength of the crusaders.

But we will not do that, no, we have God on our side and we are strong in faith and arm.

Islam and Azerbaijan will prevail!

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Oh my god this is perfect. I've been lurking the Let's Play forum for a while now and I've thoroughly enjoyed your LPs Wiz, which I've found very well written, amusing and some of the most enjoyable on the forum, and an LP of a non-traditional nation that usually crop up in Paradox LPs was just the straw on the camel's back that made me get an account.

Also, drat. Islam really took a hit, huh? Hopefully you can keep afloat and maybe grab some land in the vacuum. How confident are you that you'll be able to fend off any future crusades now that the big Islamic countries have been taken down a notch?

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Ive lurked around since near the end of the Hohenzollern LP. Its great to be part of a Wiz LP from the start

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rejected Fate posted:

Oh my god this is perfect. I've been lurking the Let's Play forum for a while now and I've thoroughly enjoyed your LPs Wiz, which I've found very well written, amusing and some of the most enjoyable on the forum, and an LP of a non-traditional nation that usually crop up in Paradox LPs was just the straw on the camel's back that made me get an account.

Also, drat. Islam really took a hit, huh? Hopefully you can keep afloat and maybe grab some land in the vacuum. How confident are you that you'll be able to fend off any future crusades now that the big Islamic countries have been taken down a notch?

Personally, I only have a 10k army. I can't even fend off Jerusalem, let alone a whole crusade. Will depend on either major expansion or Islam rallying.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Wiz posted:

Personally, I only have a 10k army. I can't even fend off Jerusalem, let alone a whole crusade. Will depend on either major expansion or Islam rallying.

Personally as in your demesne, or including the armies of your vassals too?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Saurus posted:

Personally as in your demesne, or including the armies of your vassals too?

Including vassals. More of Azerbaijan is pretty poor.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Between dealing with semisalic gavelkind and the fatamids and almohads getting slapped silly in the first couple years, I think you might end up replaying Flintglin's Kindom Come LP, only from the other side.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Agean90 posted:

I remember an LP of those guys. The guy made them a fairly big power, then switched to the leader of one of tribes they absorbed who was the new leader of the Teutonic Knights.

It's really too bad that LP got abandoned, because it was seriously one of the best I've seen. On par with the Serbia one in terms of Crazy poo poo Happening, but with better writing quality (for the most part).

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Good luck. Never been much good at CK myself but certainly is enjoying to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I thought you would be relatively safe since you don't own any of the crusade destinations. Well, so much for that.

• Locked thread