Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Wiz posted:

An update draws near.

Yesssssssss!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Experto Crede posted:

I kind of want to see how WWII goes from the perspective of a radical republic for a change :3:

Assuming we remain a radical republic. :3:

I kinda hope we do though. Much as I loved Wiz's Hohenzollern LP, Paradox mega-LP's tend to just be stable, conservative monarchies.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Fixed your banner.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

Experto Crede posted:

Are we assuming you're going to play Vicky II to the end? What about HOI? I know OP says probably no, but I kind of want to see how WWII goes from the perspective of a radical republic for a change :3:

Drone posted:

Assuming we remain a radical republic. :3:

I kinda hope we do though. Much as I loved Wiz's Hohenzollern LP, Paradox mega-LP's tend to just be stable, conservative monarchies.

Um... you guys do realize that a 'radical republic' Napoleonic puppet state in the early 1800s isn't very radical at all in 1936, right? If you want us to be radical in any way you better hope we don't remain as we are.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Kersch posted:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ROTTKXI/romance-of-the-three-kingdoms-xi

The only one in the series to actually come out in English on the PC. So much better than the console version if only for mouse control alone, and it's probably one of the better ones in the series, though it's one of the 'ruler-only' iterations.

I really wish VII had come out on PC in English, it's probably my favorite of the ones I've played. Still IX is very, very good and it's a fascinating change from the usual sort of strategy games we've got access to.

MaybeNever
Aug 6, 2013

Gorgo Primus posted:

Um... you guys do realize that a 'radical republic' Napoleonic puppet state in the early 1800s isn't very radical at all in 1936, right? If you want us to be radical in any way you better hope we don't remain as we are.

Perhaps we will just drift gradually left over the course of the century, forever 1-2 steps ahead of the liberal mainstream, until in the late 1920s Azerbaijani political scientists and the intelligentsia are shocked to discover that ideology isn't a spectrum, it's a circle. And the next day the country goes from an anarcho-communist utopia to a brutal absolute monarchy, because the only thing farther left than the far left is the far right.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

sniper4625 posted:

Fixed your banner.

I'm a bit confused. What did you change?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Writing update, here's a map to tide you over.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

:dance: I do love maps.

The borders are so lovely and nice to look at.

Are there any not-us Western countries that are Islamic?

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Most Serene Principality of Samiland?
A merchant republic that far in the north?
How is that even possible????

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Jesenjin posted:

Most Serene Principality of Samiland?
A merchant republic that far in the north?
How is that even possible????

Wiz likes to add in little easter eggs in his maps, usually assigning undue importance to tiny nations. Note that that's "Principality", by the way - as in, a princedom. Not a republic.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I love that Ragusa is still hanging in there. I'll be pulling for them for the next century or so!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Aleppo delenda est.

We must expunge the House of Daei from their nest and free their subjects from the tyranny of monarchism. Murad cannot hide forever.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 1: Prologue

Stretching from the Aegean to the Caspian, the Anatolian Republic is a young state with an old history, the successor of the Azerbaijani Empire and its long tradition of technological innovation, religious tolerance and military prowess. First ascended to greatness in the middle ages, Azerbaijan then fell to the Mongols, only to be reborn when its Ildeguzid rulers took possession of Egypt and used its military resources to reclaim their homeland.

The Ildeguzid dynasty died out in the early modern era, replaced by the Najjars and later the Daeis. It was under the Daei dynasty that Azerbaijan rose to dominate Anatolia and the Caucasus, conquering its old rival Armenia and establishing a powerful, modern army that no other middle eastern state could compete with.

The fall of the Azerbaijani Empire came with the Revolutionary Wars in Europe as the royal houses of Germany and Russia fell to liberal revolutionaries. Though Monarchy was restored in Germany, the reactionary armies proved unable to defeat Russia, and Azerbaijan was occupied by the Russians, who annexed a third of its territories, drove its Daei ruler into exile and installed a revolutionary regime in its place.

The Anatolian Republic was born.

With an adult male population of 3 million, the Anatolian Republic is a fairly populous state with a wide diversity of cultures, language and religions and a long-standing tradition of cultural and religious tolerance.

A Republic in name only, nearly all power in the Anatolian Republic is concetrated in the hands of Consul Jahan Jahan and the pro-Russian liberals in the Musavat party.

The Republic's economy is pastoral, with wool as its primary export. The only industries of note is an Ammunition Factory in Tabriz, built in the waning years of the Daei dynasty.

The army has been scaled down following the Peace of Pressburg and the end of the Revolutionary Wars, now consisting of no more than 40,000 men under arms.

State finances follow a policy of cautious reform, with low taxes and tariffs and modest investments in education and administration.

Diplomatically, the republic is firmly in Russia's sphere and its present Consul little more than a Russian puppet, though outside of government circles there is considerable unhappiness and resentment among the Monarchist, anti-Russian landowning class.

The greatest power of its age, Russia is a Liberal Democracy whose territory stretches from the Baltic to the Pacific, and whose influence is felt across Europe and Asia. An economic giant and the most formidable land power in the world, it seems as though Russia is poised to make the 19th century a Russian century.

As the greatest naval power in the world, Italy is a center of commerce, learning and art, but has acquired a reputation for the lackluster performance of its armies in the Revolutionary Wars. Nonetheless, the Italians were awarded dominance over the Adriatic in the Treaty of Pressburg, and it can only be a matter of time before they move to secure the rest of the Dalmatian coast. Its ruling house, the de Napoles dynasty, are the Habsburgs of their world, ruling numerous European states and forming dynastic links all across the world.

Renowned for the size and skill of its armies, Burgundy dominated European politics until a series of defeats in the Revolutionary Wars diminished their prestige. Lacking colonies to feed its industries and surrounded by aggressive Great Powers, Burgundy must nonetheless trust in its force of arms to hold on to their illustrious status.

Born in the flames of Revolution, Germany was defeated by the assembled arms of the European Monarchs, and was about to be partitioned when the Russian Revolution overthrew the Tsardom. Faced with this new threat in the east, the Monarchs chose to let Germany remain intact under the banner of a Constitutional Monarchy. Germany in turn fought loyally against the Russians, and for their sufferings were awarded Pommerania and Danzig in the Treaty of Pressburg.

A Great Power in decline, the Revolutionary Wars proved a blessing for the opportunistic D'Aragos of Great Britain, who were able to seize on the opportunity to attack their cousins in Spain, seizing new overseas colonies to replace the ones lost in the American Wars of Independence.

Another opportunistic state, the de Napoles of Netherlands came out of the Revolutionary Wars with their already substantial colonial empire swollen with former Spanish and Portuguese holdings.

The true successor to the Holy Roman Empire, Bavaria is the last bastion of German Absolutism and a staunch defender of the old order, but as a landlocked state surrounded by far more powerful states, their means do not quite match their ambitions.

Largest of the revolutionary states to break away from Spain, Mexico is a dynamic young republic with a large population and its eye turned greedily towards the divided states of North America.

Its greatest rival is the former British holding of New England, spanning the Atlantic Coast but prevented from going west by the powerful armies of the modernized, Protestant, slave-owning Cherokee Confederation.

The Mali Empire dominates West Africa, jealously guarding its trade of gold, slaves and ivory with the Europeans.

With the fall of the Azerbaijani Empire, the centralized, rapidly modernizing states of Egypt and Persia stand poised to present a challenge for dominion of the Middle East.

Though the South is controlled by Italy, North India remains under the dominion of the great Mughal Empire, born from the ambitious conquests of one of Timur's generals.

Another legacy of Timur, the Muslim Zhen Empire rules over all of China from the old Tang capital of Xi'an.

In Japan, once ruled by an Emperor and his Shogun, the Buddhist Ikko-Ikki risings of the 15th century led to the overthrow of the feudal order and the creation of a theocratic republic that has endured into the 19th century.

In this world of Reaction and Revolution, Monarchies and Republics, Empires and Nation-States, what place will the Anatolian Republic find for itself?

Wiz fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 15, 2013

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
It's finally here!!

So, is there any way to encourage just our accepted cultures to multiply?

I'm still a bit bitter about Italy being the only great power to lose significant amounts of land in the conversion from CK1 to EU3. :(

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 9, 2013

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Wait so who has the most industry in the world right now?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Wait so who has the most industry in the world right now?

It looks like Russia does.

Boardwalk Empire and the Azerbaijan LP coming back on the same day? Amazing.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Civilized Fishbot posted:

It looks like Russia does.

Boardwalk Empire and the Azerbaijan LP coming back on the same day? Amazing.

:downs:
Its been a while since I played victoria II.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It's on! :woop:

I'm looking forward to seeing some colonial upheaval for the Netherlands and Italy though, especially in South America. I wanna see what a Dutch Argentina or Italian Brazil can do in this world.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
Definitely looking forward to seeing how all this plays out, but

quote:

Nonetheless, the Italians were awarded dominance over the Aegean in the Treaty of Pressburg,

Shouldn't that be the Adriatic, not the Aegean? Or did I miss something?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I actually want to see Brazil peacefully transition into an Italian Dominion.

We ought to violently get rid of Jahan Jahan though. That guy seems like a jerk.

MaybeNever
Aug 6, 2013

Readingaccount posted:

It's finally here!!

So, is there any way to encourage just our accepted cultures to multiply?

This will happen anyway as non-accepted cultures assimilate. Or rather our primary culture will increase, while accepted cultures should stay roughly stable (i.e. don't assimilate). Non-accepted cultures located in a province that has a core of a right-culture nation, whether the nation exists or not, basically can't be assimilated either. So it'll be a question of how many nations actually have cores on proper Azeri territory (which is all of it).

Edit: speaking of, Wiz, how do you decide how to set up pops, with size, culture and profession? I know farmers and laborers will make up the bulk of a country in 1836, but beyond that. Do you use the province population and ownership log from EU3? Do you just go with a gut feeling? Do you have a rule of thumb?

MaybeNever fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 8, 2013

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

MaybeNever posted:

This will happen anyway as non-accepted cultures assimilate. Or rather our primary culture will increase, while accepted cultures should stay roughly stable (i.e. don't assimilate). Non-accepted cultures located in a province that has a core of a right-culture nation, whether the nation exists or not, basically can't be assimilated either. So it'll be a question of how many nations actually have cores on proper Azeri territory (which is all of it).

Yeah, but any Armenian who moves to the big city of Tabriz looking for work is fair game for the assimilation rays, so it balances out.

Also unaccepted cultures are far more likely to move to the New World.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
e: ^^ I think it's been said before in this thread, but Russia could be a big immigrant magnet, too.

Great to see this LP continuing. So many interesting things going on in the world. I'm very interested in seeing how the Anatolian Republic develops in the era of nationalism.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Pakled posted:

e: ^^ I think it's been said before in this thread, but Russia could be a big immigrant magnet, too.

Russian is a much more useful language at this point in the Wiz timeline than it was in the real-world timeline.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Sweet, looks like I picked a good time to catch up! Looking forward to see where you take us next, Wiz.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Important things: independence for Samiland, Jan Mayen, and Hawaii. Huzza!

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

i81icu812 posted:

Important things: independence for Samiland, Jan Mayen, and Hawaii. Huzza!

Don't forget Northrend, land of the frozen throne.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Oh man, this wild ride is back.

An Aotearoa is independent. How did that happen?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

MinistryofLard posted:

Oh man, this wild ride is back.

An Aotearoa is independent. How did that happen?

It was occupied by rebels at the end of EU3 and I think Wiz just made it its own nation for Victoria II.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This is such a cool timeline. I love the concept of a Mughal China, and as far as I'm concerned the Russian equivalent to "Philippe Egalite" becoming Prime Minister after the revolution is canon.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its kind of like the last Wiz mega-LP where the countries that weren't the focus of the LP were actually far more interesting, simply from the sort of crazy shenanigans the AI came up with and how Wiz worked it into the narrative.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
Can someone explain why the tide of liberalism feels so evil, despite it being an objective good?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I'm hoping - nay, I'm sure - that Jan Mayen has great things in store for it. I'll be waiting eagerly for the Ascension of the Great North Kingdom.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

DentedLamp posted:

Can someone explain why the tide of liberalism feels so evil, despite it being an objective good?
Because it was brought upon much of the world (including us) by a horde of angry Russians?

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Very glad this is back on. Can't wait to see how much tolerance we can cram back into Anatolia, and if we'll get our Istanbul/Constantinople back.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

DentedLamp posted:

Because we are indoctrinated to root for scrappy underdogs, and russia is goddamn huge.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

BBJoey posted:

I'm hoping - nay, I'm sure - that Jan Mayen has great things in store for it. I'll be waiting eagerly for the Ascension of the Great North Kingdom.

All hail our new polar bear overlords.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Alright, it'sback and looks awesome, I can't wait to see how this plays out.

I'm rooting for Cascadia, gotta root for my home region, here's hoping it don't get gobbled up by Mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Where are the Pirate Hunters? :colbert:

• Locked thread