Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Patter Song posted:

Is it just me, or has Muscovy started colonizing the Siberian TI?

They have.

Talas posted:

Portugal is working fast on their colonization and I see Aragón in the Caribbean too.

Does Morocco have missions for colonization in other continent besides Africa? Can Al-Andalus escape to the New World? :ohdear:

It's not missions per se, I use a hidden event system that directs the AI how to colonize, with different areas weighted based on culture. Semitic (Arab) countries are most likely to want to colonize Africa and South America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rejected Fate posted:

EDIT: Who's that also colonising the Carribean? Aragon?

Yep, that's Aragon.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

do I see portugal in both north america and west africa?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

sick trigger posted:

do I see portugal in both north america and west africa?

They're not in Africa, that's Hausa. They just changed their colonization priority to Thirteen Colonies, which is actually extremely unlikely under the weighting system.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 1, 2011

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i guess the portuguese got tired of spices and are into the hot hot beaver pelt fashions now

i wish they were going to india like in real life, i want to see some proper 16th century style colonization in india. has that happened in any of the LPs on here?

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 1, 2011

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Wiz posted:

They're not in Africa. They just changed their colonization priority to Thirteen Colonies, which is actually extremely unlikely under the weighting system.

That's good for them. Caribbean + Thirteen Colonies are the best piece of new world to colonize.

Aragón looks like its becoming a massive power at this rate. In Vanilla Castilla get's strong pretty fast but they have to worry about France next door to balance their power. Aragón is going to become Spain without a big French power to scare them.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

actually, i'm kind of curious what all the colonizing powers' priorities are and how that whole system works, if it's already been explained someone please point me somewhere near the page it was posted on, thanks

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

oystertoadfish posted:

i guess the portuguese got tired of spices and are into the hot hot beaver pelt fashions now

i wish they were going to india like in real life, i want to see some proper 16th century style colonization in india. has that happened in any of the LPs on here?

The Byzantines did that in the Hohenzollern LP though, didn't they?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

oystertoadfish posted:

actually, i'm kind of curious what all the colonizing powers' priorities are and how that whole system works, if it's already been explained someone please point me somewhere near the page it was posted on, thanks

I'll give you a brief outline.

I've designated 25 different regions in the world as colonization targets, these regions are for example Indonesia, the Caribbean, the Thirteen Colonies, Atlantic Ocean Islands and so on.

An AI country that is a colonizer and lacks a colonization target will get an event that picks one of the 25 regions that they have discovered and have range to as their colonization target. What this means is that the event feeds the AI instructions to colonize the region via the add_ai_strategy command.

The AI will continue to focus mainly on this region for an average of 50 years, or until the entire region is colonized. After they finish with a region, their priorities for colonizing that region get removed and eventually another event fires picking a new target for them.

The chances of a country getting a particular target is weighted based on their culture. For example, Iberian culture countries are much more likely to get South American regions as their colonization target than North American ones. They're also weighted based on the general desirability and location of targets, so Brazil will usually be picked before the Andes, and so on.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
This will be the most Portuguese world. Note that the Portuguese colonized Bermuda just to be dicks to the English and remove one of the last stepping stones to the New World, essentially forcing England into the unprofitable Greenland-Canada route.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Patter Song posted:

This will be the most Portuguese world. Note that the Portuguese colonized Bermuda just to be dicks to the English and remove one of the last stepping stones to the New World, essentially forcing England into the unprofitable Greenland-Canada route.

England probably won't be stymied by this since naval ideas give colonial range, and the AI understands this and will pick naval ideas if they are hampered by range.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

that's an amazing system. and the byzantines sort of took over large parts of it wholesale, a historical colonization at this point would be portugal taking a few coastal provinces and making a fuckload of money off spices rather than taking territory, right?

Atlantic Ocean Islands must be the shittiest colonization target of all

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Have you played Sengoku yet Wiz? I found it pretty boring, but it could just be the theme. I hope they flesh it out with expansions

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

okand posted:

Have you played Sengoku yet Wiz? I found it pretty boring, but it could just be the theme. I hope they flesh it out with expansions

No, I predicted it would be boring and accordingly did not buy it.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

oystertoadfish posted:

that's an amazing system. and the byzantines sort of took over large parts of it wholesale, a historical colonization at this point would be portugal taking a few coastal provinces and making a fuckload of money off spices rather than taking territory, right?

Atlantic Ocean Islands must be the shittiest colonization target of all

Azores and Bermuda are nice, for range if nothing else. Plus it's a target you finish fast.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

presumably you don't want to share at this point since you've refrained from doing so thus far, but i'd be really interested in all the details of the regions and their probability weighting for different nations

edit: thanks

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 1, 2011

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

we are all dead men on leave

Patter Song posted:

Considering the Spain COA is one of those horrible fusion COAs, just put the Aragonese COA in the dominant position (like the Scottish-formed GB puts St. Andrew on top of St. George).

I'd just replace the lion of Leon (which doesn't really make sense in this timeline anyway) with the Catalan stripes. I'd be willing to make the flag if no one else is.

The events going on in the game world as a whole are fascinating. Aragon bottling up Castille and colonizing the Caribbean together with Portugal should prove interesting.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

oystertoadfish posted:

presumably you don't want to share at this point since you've refrained from doing so thus far, but i'd be really interested in all the details of the regions and their probability weighting for different nations

It's not so much as not wanting to share as it simply being a lot of info to type out. Here is the event file if you want to dig into it.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Why won't paradox hire you to fix all their games?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Aydogdu, Hellz Yeah!

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Noooooooooooooo, England annexed Mann and/or the Isles. And the Afghans got kicked out of Lhasa to go south into India. Kabul has the ugliest borders.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 10: New Ideas (1480 - 1490)

Azerbaijan is at war with Armenia. Syria sends war subsidies to Azerbaijan, hoping that a major victory will eliminate Armenia as a threat altogether.

Azeri troops advance across the border and lay siege to Kartli and Yerevan.

The Armenians put up a surprisingly strong resistance, mostly thanks to the large Bulgarian armies shipped over to support their allies.

An Armenian army that was laying waste to Crimea marches down and catches the Azeri army by surprise, inflicting a humiliating defeat.

Aram pulls back his army and waits a few months for reinforcements to arrive and for the Armenians to withdraw their army. In the meanwhile, war breaks out between Bulgaria and Hungary, and Aram is quick to make peace with Bulgaria, leaving Armenia alone in the fight.

Confident of victory, Azeri troops once again advance into Georgia to besiege the enemy cities.

Unfortunately the hopes of victory are shattered once more by the feuding of the Islamic Great Powers, as Egypt declares war on Syria and Syria quickly makes peace with Armenia.

What's worse, Nicaea also makes peace, leaving only Azerbaijan and Armenia left in the war.

Though Armenia is suffering heavily from war exhaustion, their armies are largely intact, and outnumber Azeri armies by four to one.

With numbers, technological advantage and superior leadership on the enemy side, there is little choice but to make peace and hope for another chance in the future.

To add insult to injury, Armenia easily defeats Cherson after Azerbaijan sues for peace, coming out of the war stronger than ever.

Aram makes peace with Egypt after spending a few hours lecturing his son about the folly of war with a stronger neighbour.

He then returns to civil matters, resuming the development of trade infrastructure.

The wars have taught him that technological superiority in warfarre is not to be underestimated - the Armenians field superior armor and weapons, and this has shown itself in a string of battlefield victories over Azerbaijan, even when numbers and terrain were on the Azeri side. Through regular contacts with the Syrian and Egyptian courts, he knows that Al-Andalus is widely regarded as makers of the best weapons in the Islamic world, and dispatches an embassy with the mission to open up arms trade with Iberia.

The embassy not only succeeds in opening up arms trade, but also returns with a number of Andalucian scholars who have been forced to flee in the wake of the Reconquista, bringing valuable books and knowledge to Tabriz.

The long series of wars between Nicaea and Italy finally end as Italy's failure to protect the Latin Empire results in the Latin Emperor declaring independence and negotiating a honorable surrender to Nicaea, rather than subjecting Constantinople to yet another occupation and sack.

The victorious King of Nicaea marches into Constatinople, where he takes up residence in the Imperial Palace and has himself crowned Byzantine Emperor.

With peace now returned to Italy, the King of Italy immediately acts to end the Schism, invading Rome and chasing off the Roman Pope, who goes into exile on Sardinia. The Modenan Pope travels in triumph to Rome and assumes his duties as head of the reunited church, though many good Catholics complain that he is nothing but an Italian puppet.

The war between Syria and Egypt ends with Egypt being forced to release Cyrenaica.

In 1489, after decades of rule, Aram passes away peacefully in his sleep. His militaristic, worldly and indulgent son Aydogdu takes the throne at the age of 45.

Mere weeks after Aydogdu's ascension to the throne, he summons his generals and orders them to ready the armies. When someone points out that it would be unwise to break the truce with Armenia, Aydogdu merely laughs and says that the armies will not march on Armenia this time.

They will march on Astrakhan.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 7, 2011

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Oh dear, for a second I was worried we were about to break Armenia beyond repair.

I didn't expect things to go to the other side of the spectrum. Good luck, Wiz, your home rules are harsh. :ohdear:

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Did Kabul vassalize those funny blobs that it is surrounding or what?

Seriously the worst borders ever, especially considering the terrain involved.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

i81icu812 posted:

Did Kabul vassalize those funny blobs that it is surrounding or what?

Seriously the worst borders ever, especially considering the terrain involved.

Baluchistan is in a PU under Kabul. Rajputana they're just being really bad at finishing off for some reason.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

YF-23 posted:

Oh dear, for a second I was worried we were about to break Armenia beyond repair.

I didn't expect things to go to the other side of the spectrum. Good luck, Wiz, your home rules are harsh. :ohdear:

This wasn't my home rules so much as it was Egypt loving me over.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

What happened to the Portuguese colony in North America?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Talas posted:

What happened to the Portuguese colony in North America?

Destroyed by natives, I'm assuming.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So the Portuguese colony in North America failed, looks like. Hopefully they'll stick to South America then. And are those other islands in the Caribbean Aragonese?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So the Portuguese colony in North America failed, looks like. Hopefully they'll stick to South America then. And are those other islands in the Caribbean Aragonese?

Yeah. England got QFTNW this update and should be colonizing North America soon.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
We are going to tolerate the hell out of the GH.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
How exactly do you got those "western arm trade" events? I get them sometimes, even if I'm already a Western Power and the event in itself is just a mystery to me.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

skipThings posted:

How exactly do you got those "western arm trade" events? I get them sometimes, even if I'm already a Western Power and the event in itself is just a mystery to me.

This has nothing to do with vanilla arms trade. These modifiers are for countries that aren't 100% tech speed, and come from the right combination of sliders and 150+ relations with a 100% tech speed country. I get Western Arms Trade for having at least 1 towards land and 150 relations with Al-Andalus, and Western Missionaries (yes, silly name in this case) for being at least 1 towards innovative and 150 relations with Al-Andalus.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Wiz posted:

This has nothing to do with vanilla arms trade. These modifiers are for countries that aren't 100% tech speed, and come from the right combination of sliders and 150+ relations with a 100% tech speed country. I get Western Arms Trade for having at least 1 towards land and 150 relations with Al-Andalus, and Western Missionaries (yes, silly name in this case) for being at least 1 towards innovative and 150 relations with Al-Andalus.

So once Andalucia bites it is the Islamic world screwed, or can you buddy up to Morocco or something.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

i81icu812 posted:

So once Andalucia bites it is the Islamic world screwed, or can you buddy up to Morocco or something.

I can buddy up to Morocco, or Tunis, or any one of the Christian powers. Doesn't matter which 100% speed country it is.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Armenia has gone from a pain to our side to really, really scary.

Perhaps with the commercial aid of gaining Astrakhan we can overcome them?

...Where is Astrakhan in the CoT ledger?

Also Egypt losing Cyrenicaia makes less neat borders for when they eventuall get that big piece of land under them. Also I like Egypt.

On the positive side, Morocco's looking good.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is Denmark conquering Sweden? Nice :) And Flanders seems to be doing pretty well for itself.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Goodbye Al-Andalus. It was good while it lasted.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I hope you kept the 'Become King of Gonder'-mission for Aragon in your mod Wiz :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Wiz posted:

How about "Western Advisors", or "Western Consultants" if you want to avoid confusing people with the advisor screen?

• Locked thread