Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Proposition Joe posted:

I feel that Thessalonica should have Macedonian imagery instead of Byzantine imagery and there is way too much Roman/Byzantine fappery going on anyways. Here are some flags I made real quick based off of the Vergina Sun.

Thessalonika is the Greek Byzantine pretender/successor state, if ANYONE should have Byzantine motifs it is them/Nicaea/Cherson.

EDIT: I don't understand all the hate for the Roman/Byzantine iconography, its overdone in alt history precisely because everyone stole Roman iconography historically anyway.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

theblastizard posted:

I think this looks a little bit more regal/imperial than the other version of it. All I did was recolor it though.

Editted multiple times because I am terrible at this whole pixel thing. Probably will be editted more.

It looks slightly less like a racecar flag now! Something about that blue... A definite improvement

This or the chi-rho look suitably impressive.

What was the historical coa used in place of that horse anyway?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
On that Manx note, the Italian flag needs a triskelion in there somewhere, heraldry be damned.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Flag_of_Sicily_%28revised%29.svg

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Wiz posted:

I am entirely done, asides from some testing and one last thing: Australia. I actually didn't realize what a massive task I was setting myself up for with the Australia vote, since I have to create a whole new Australian tech group complete with their own units, etc, all for a few tags that aren't gonna amount to much.

Would you guys be terribly sad if I just skipped the whole Australian tags and did something with the vote in V2 instead?

Yes.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Looks amazing.

Why is trade going though Rhodes now? Byzantium still has the whole gateway to the Black Sea/land route to Europe going for it. If not Byzantium, some other port on the straights?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Wiz posted:

Basically I wanted a Greek COT, but giving it to either Thessalonica or Nicaea made one much more powerful than the other, so Rhodes gets to play trade king. If a Greek state retakes Thrace, they get a decision to reopen the Thrace COT, which closes the Rhodes COT.

As for how I rationalize it, I see Rhodes as the port where European merchants come to buy spices and silk hauled through Armenia and Nicaea. Nicaea and Thessalonica both focus on land over naval, which allowed Rhodes to dominate trade.

Something like that!

Why not just let the Latins keep it? They're pretty pathetic on their own without that going for them and would be a third party.

Otherwise I'd expect the Silk Road trade to enter the Med via Aleppo/Antioch/Alexandretta like it did historically. Though I can see the game balance argument.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 18, 2011

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Wiz posted:

Historically Anatolia wasn't Christian though. I figure while europeans will keep trading with Alexandria, another option for when relations with Syria and/or Egypt aren't so friend would be attractive.

Doesn't Orthodox Armenia still hold Antioch though? Give them a COT.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Oops, wrong thread

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Wiz posted:

Haha, that does seem to be a problem. I'm not sure how many people are even in this for the LP anymore as opposed to just wanting the scenarios!

Just play faster and finish EU3 already :colbert:

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
wow, what happened to Poland and Lithuania?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Awww, Dai Viet exploded.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Hahaha the Balkans are such as mess. Are there even more warlords in China now?

Major wtf @ Kabul holding Bhutan and Lhasa. Aragonese Spain, huh? Basque supremacy!

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Proposition Joe posted:

Aragon is Cataln not Basque.

Also being a weak backwater in Victoria would make things interesting.

Navarre still clings to existence against the Catalonian menace.

It would be interesting only because it hasn't been showcased here yet. It kinda sucks to play as.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Patter Song posted:

One of these days will George Orwell write Homage to Castillia or Homage to Andalucia?

Actually, I have no clue if Aragon in this timeline is dominated by the central Iberian Aragonese or the Catalonians on the coast due to CK shenanigans. He could still write Homage to Catalonia, but 'Spanish' would be Aragonese instead of Castilian.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Noooooooooooooo, England annexed Mann and/or the Isles. And the Afghans got kicked out of Lhasa to go south into India. Kabul has the ugliest borders.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Did Kabul vassalize those funny blobs that it is surrounding or what?

Seriously the worst borders ever, especially considering the terrain involved.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Wiz posted:

This has nothing to do with vanilla arms trade. These modifiers are for countries that aren't 100% tech speed, and come from the right combination of sliders and 150+ relations with a 100% tech speed country. I get Western Arms Trade for having at least 1 towards land and 150 relations with Al-Andalus, and Western Missionaries (yes, silly name in this case) for being at least 1 towards innovative and 150 relations with Al-Andalus.

So once Andalucia bites it is the Islamic world screwed, or can you buddy up to Morocco or something.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
With the complete collapse of Novagorod, Muscovite Russia looks pretty scary.

Zanzibar advanced all the way up the coast to Egyptian Sudan. What tech level did they start at, and what are their relations with Egypt?

Spanish Lesser Antillies, Portuguese Greater. Just by chance, or did you break the colonizing focuses up like that?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Wiz posted:

That's Mutapa, not Swahili. They're fetishist so presumably don't have the best relations with Egypt.

Nope, total coincidence.

What the hell, Mutapa started in Zimbabwe. And Estonia annexed the mighty heretics of Osel. Have any heretics had any luck?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

ZearothK posted:

B

The Catalans are doing well for themselves in this timeline. Unifying Spain, ruling Britain, I'd imagine Catalan would become the diplomatic language of western Europe for the next few centuries.

Plus Occtian dominated Burgundy and Gascony. And since the Burgundians dominate the HRE/French ministates, lengua d'òc/Catalan/Provincal is probably the lingua franca.

Wiz LPs love Occtian-Romance languages.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 2, 2011

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Why are then Byzantines being beaten up by Rhodes? And why does the silly Rhodes COT still exist when Nicaea finally took Byzantium?

Kabul having a vast empire in India connected to the Afghan heartland via Kashmir just seems really odd. Diplo-annex the Baluchis already guys.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

theblastizard posted:

I just assumed Byz loaded their army into a fleet of transports that got sunk by Rhodes.

Even so, they should be able to raise a new one to fend off Rhodes. Rhodes should have a TINY manpower pool since they are a two province minor and only hold Rhodes and Cyprus.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 2, 2011

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Hey, did Kabul form Mughal? Finally?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

LordBaxter posted:

Fantastic! We've got more territory and access to the sea. Question is what happens now? Do we expand westwards towards Byzantium and Greece or south towards Syria and Egypt? Or do we cross the caspian sea and start taking some rich trading provinces from persia?

Actually what are our current provinces worth? Do we have any good trade resources/high tax base/manpower provinces? Or is it mostly all chaff.

Option C: China.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

EvanSchenck posted:

I think Armenia probably provides an object lesson in what not to do, considering that rapid ill-considered expansion was their downfall here. We should pause to digest our gains. After that it's an interesting question. Historic Azerbaijan was definitely part of the Persian sphere, and an important one at that. I think western Iran and Mesopotamia are probably the logical targets for an ambitious Azeri Dynasty, but the old Ildeguzid empire might have oriented in-game Azerbaijan towards the West instead.

Zhen Dynasty. This is the one true future for the Azeri people.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Dr. Not A Doctor posted:

Clearly by expanding into Byzantine lands, and renaming our ruling dynaty to Osmanli.

Ahem, the only option programed in right now is to claim the mandate of heaven and take the dynastic name Zhen. Not some silly Ottoman nonsense.

Clearly we must unite China. We've already defeated the Mongol menace, now we must drive them before us and reclaim out ancestral homelands on the steppe.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Kem Rixen posted:

They're doing surprisingly well for themselves then.

Rhodes is doing well for themselves because Wiz moved the Byzantium COT to Rhodes. Otherwise they would be irrelevant.

Mutapa finally collapsed. Ruling Sudan out of Zimbabwe is inherently unstable, who knew.

Wales. =(

China is still a mess and Korea is fighting back. Japan might beat them to unification at this rate. Tibet keeps getting taken over by Indians from the other side of the Himalayas.

Colonization seems to be going well. We should see contact in Asia and the Indies soon. Any reason the Swedes and Danes didn't colonize but the Norwegians did?

The reformation should make Europe interesting. Is the HRE still Burgundian dominated? If not can a united HRE form an effective counterweight to the united and growing Dutch/Burgundian/Italian power blocks? The French half of the HRE seems to be blobbing up a bit.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Whooo, Zhen.

Whats left of the HRE?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Hahaha, taking Byzantium seems to have been a net loss for Nicaea. They appear to have lost Nicaea, and are getting squeezed by Bulgaria + Armenia. The Dutch are clearly making up for lost time in Argentina/Florida.

Japan looks close to unification now too. How many major population centers does Zhen control now other than Xi'an? It looks like they are just short of Beijing/Nanjing/Shanghai/Kunming and most of the rich coastal provinces.

Navarra still lives!

E: I love how you get Morocco in a PU then ruin relations and roll a 3 3 3 heir

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Servant posted:

From what I heard in IRC, that weird empire was Mutapa, it was a tribal empire that expanded and expanded until it suffered a Tribal Succession Crisis (in vanilla, it occurs after the death of every Tribal leader once you get above a certain size; in WizMod it only occurs if a King is fairly incompetent, with a very low MIL, DIP, and ADMIN score).

A Tribal Succession Crisis spawns lots of rebels. These rebels led to the independence of Shawili (the country Mutapa first conquered), splitting the Mutapa empire into two, the northern territories in Ethiopia, and the southern territories in native Mutapa. Later on, the northern territories declared independence as well, leading to the end of the golden age of Mutapa.

I'm really disappointed too.

To be fair, a tribal empire ruling Sudan out of Zimbabwe is patently unstable.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Whats the status of the HRE?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
What the hell, why is there a British colony on Terra del Fuego?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

seal it with a kiss posted:

The correct adjective for the armies from Rhodes should be Rhodian, not Rhodesian. The correct adjective for Rhodesia is Zimbabwean.

I would have just started a flame war on the Paradox forums. The Rhodesians are just as bad as the Balkan nationalists but they've got a hint of white supremacism in there too!

Ahem, Mutapan armies have clearly marched from Africa to the Crimea. And Cecil Rhodes was born a few centuries early and decided to be a... military advisor or something.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Smoky Bandana posted:

Falklands were taken, we needed to have a weirdly placed South American holding somehow.

Sure, the desolate islands in the rear end end of nowhere that had multiple abandoned settlement attempts is already taken. Let's go settle the uttermost part of the earth instead!

It's only 1559, surely Italy and Britain would be better off in Africa at this point? These subarctic islands weren't really settled till the nineteenth century. It's not like either nation has an overseas empire or whaling fleet or giant global navy at this point.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Snipee posted:

In this timeline, there was not much of a dark ages, and every nation seems more advanced and well off. I can believe the rapid expansion in the Americas.

I partially agree with you. However colonies on objectively inhospitable islands 300 hundred years early is crazy. Remember, the Falklands did not have a successful colony till the 1800s when there was enough ship traffic around the horn to make it worth the expense. Terra del Fuego has climate just as bad as the Falklands but is surrounded by the most hazardous waters in the world.

Meanwhile Africa and the East Indies are unsettled. I think colonist generation might need some tweeking.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Patter Song posted:

Again, the point of colonizing the Falklands or Tierra del Fuego in game is as an outpost to colonize the West Coast of the Americas (Chile, then Baja California and slowly up the coast to Alaska). Think of it as a refueling post, not as the objective in itself.

Also, to Snipee: Cherokee modernized, the rest (all the rest) didn't.

From a min/max gameplay perspective, they should be going for Africa -> Indies first since the Indies are still up for grabs. It makes sense to establish stopover ports like the British and Portuguese historically did, but only when you actually have an actual destination.

Ignoring colonial range game mechanics, Britain has no stopover ports in the Atlantic other than Tierra del Fuego . Even if they decided that the uncivilized American west coast was more valuable than all the tea in China, they still would have to sail clear from the Carolinas or Ireland to Tierra del Fuego, then round the Horn and go from Chile to Baja.

All this before the Mayflower. Not for tea or spices but the right to settle California.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Cherokee expansion! Maybe they'll survive?

Are all the Sami provinces ethnically Sami?

Still no resolution in China or Japan.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Frionnel posted:

I don't care about muslim asia as long as Bhutan turns buddhist and survives as an opm until the end of Vicky.

Bhutan and Tibet have been conquered by Indians from over the Himalayas and revolted free three or four times now. Quighar taking Tibet might mean the end though. =( At least Nepal is free. And Navarra!

Looks like the endgame in China now! Who is the white blob in the north again? Are they Han or some minority? Looks like a three way fight between northern Han vs Hui Muslims from the west vs the southern Wu/Yue/Gan language block. Plus Korea!

Looks like Zhen finally took Yunnan and knocked Dali out of the picture. They still have a ways to go to claim the major population centers along the coast though. I wonder how much success Zhen could have converting the population if they won. Hui Muslims should already be present throughout China at this point even before the Zhen invasion in really small numbers and they have managed to resist assimilating remarkably well to the present day. Forced mass conversion of the entire country can only end in revolt, so they probably have to go with either to top down ruling class converts model or glom Mohammed and the book together with 'Chinese folk religion' and call a day. No pork would sure make Chinese cooking different!

Why can't Armenia/Bulgaria form Byzantium? I thought all the Byzantine successor states were Greek dominated? (Also move the COT back from Rhodes already and make Byzantium less of a deathtrap for Nicaea).

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

MadPierrot posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Islam is the Light: Goons Just Love Meaningless Imperial Titles

Can't be worse than the paradox forums on that count. Just let the Muslims sack Byz for good the next time you run a mega lp.

quote:

I cannot imagine this happening. Chinese folk religion is as polytheistic as it gets with idolatry central to many of its rituals. It's incompatible with Islam in too many ways. I can understand the two coexisting side by side with tolerant leaders, but I do not see the two converging.

You underestimate the Chinese ability to assimilate everything. It already happens to some degree to the Hui in China. On a large scale it would definitely have be more of a the Chinese incorporating the Muslim side than the other way around though, and the rest of the Muslim world probably would reject it outright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

ibntumart posted:

The real China has native Muslim communities who developed both their own style of cooking (the hand-pulled noodles are super good) and adapted Beijing cuisine (mostly to stress beef or lamb over pork, or fowl and seafood where oxen and sheep aren't viable herds). I suspect that if Islam were the majority in China, that's how it would go: some innovation, but a lot of taking the cuisine already there and just throwing in a different meat.

Agreed, though the lack of viable grazing land for beef/lamb would make things interesting. Hui food is damned tasty and pretty distinctive, and non-Beijing Hui have their own foods as well. It still would be a pretty big change since 'meat' in China is almost always pork.

Also snipee, they Hui did manage to coexist for hundreds of years in China. With and without tolerant leaders. Though leaders intolerant of generic Chinese folk religion are pretty hard to come by.

• Locked thread