Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
What happens if the Seljuk Turks conquer Byzantium in CK? I've never seen it happen before. Do they become the Ottomans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Am I right in thinking the Seljuks represent the nascent Ottoman Empire? I remember figuring it out a long time ago, but I'm not sure where I got that idea.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Shouldn't Samogitia be a bear?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Where did the Timurids come from?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Did real countries worry about this sort of stupid poo poo?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I vote for B. Heathens would work harder in the gold mines if we allowed them rights.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Y'all ever read Birds Without Wings? That's a good book. Y'all should vote B so we can be more like that book. It's all about how well Christians and Muslims get along together in an integrated village under the Ottomans.

Another good argument is that these LPs always turn their countries into fascist, conservative states. Let's not go that path. Let's be the heirs to the tolerance of the Osmalis, and we will be stronger for it!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
It doesn't seem like Azerbaijan is going bankrupt, the main limitation in the war against Armenia seemed to be manpower rather than funds.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Ras Het posted:

Ha ha. Lesbians. Get it? Like girls who like girls.

Whoa! That makes me laugh AND makes me feel tense in a way that vaguely embarrasses me!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Raserys posted:

Wiz, out of curiosity, if this and the Hohenzollern LP were you playing with limitations on yourself, what happens when you go out with the active intent to conquer the world?

It isn't particularly hard to break the game and conquer the world. Once you get past a certain point, EU3 is incredibly easy, and the worst part is simply micromanaging all the armies and navies and poo poo.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I wish Crusader Kings was on Steam, I kinda want to play it myself. I really love its focus on playing a family that rules a nation/vassals as opposed to you being the nation itself. Then again I worry I wouldn't have the patience for it or it wouldn't be nearly as exciting as Wiz's excellent descriptions and narrative.

It is a strange game. Playing it as a game is almost invariably not fun at all - you can quickly get to the point where you are impossible to beat, and making sure an idiot doesn't inherit isn't THAT hard. Vassals are annoying to control sometimes, but you can grow enough kids in a couple generations to get the bloodline bonus for almost everyone. Playing low on the totem pole can also be ridiculously boring if you again treat the game as just a game.

But if you start to really pay attention to your family tree, noting rivalries and making sub-optimal choices based on characters' personalities, then the game really starts to shine and you start to get a really interesting and at times hilarious or heartbreaking narrative.

For example, one of my favorite things is to play as a count in the service of a duke of some greater nation, like France or Poland. This allows you to keep a smaller court and concentrate on family dynamics. I remember one particularly cruel and zealous count who was vicious to his court but weak-willed and doting when it came to his only son and heir. In an ironic twist of fate, he caught his son in bed with another boy. In a rage, he disinherited him and cast him out of the court. A few years later, he had another boy, and the EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED. One of the rarest events had happened to the same count. He went insane from the stress almost immediately after and killed himself, after which a cousin inherited. I got a pretty big kick out of that.

Sometimes you have to stretch, but you can almost always squeeze a coherent narrative out of the game, and it often does the storytelling itself. It's probably the PC game I've put the most hours into total, aside from maybe Civ 4 or EU3. I am very anxious to see how they do with CK2. If they forget this strong core, it could be awful, but if they don't mess with this basic narrative creation element and just improve on all the janky mechanics and make it a fun game as well as story, then it could be the last computer game I ever need.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
That's how I play games too. Form over function. You'd probably love Crusader Kings. Another game that I got into with the same fervor was King of Dragon Pass, but that has less replayability since the story is always the same. It is still very fun.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Pakled posted:

I always make decisions in CK the same way my ruler would based on his personality traits. If he's cold and cruel, he'd beat the poo poo out of his kids when they did something wrong (or perhaps have a servant do so). A wise and just king would try to instill those virtues in his children. A lazy, arbitrary king basically ignores his realm, and he only rides out to battle when his kingdom is in a state of total upheaval with vassals breaking away and poo poo (basically when he has no other choice).

The best thing about being a vassal is being able to send your king to war for free. Battlefield events are fun and dangerous!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
National Bank would not have helped at all, you people don't know poo poo about this game.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

The Saurus posted:

Can't we make this king a general in charge of a 1000 man army unit to speed up his demise?

That seems fairly out of character for Arim.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
for B

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Apparently y'all vastly underestimate the power of leader shock. Like I said earlier - you people don't know poo poo about this game. Ah well.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

MadPierrot posted:

I actually think B is the best choice but there's no way in hell it will win.

It will if we believe! C'mon everyone! Clap your hands if you believe in leadership!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I wonder how many people voting for a larger army were the ones crying about our financial situation earlier? You realize that a larger army means vastly larger upkeep, right?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Wiz said that he made seiging more difficult, didn't he? Maybe engineers would be the most useful.

You can't assault, making seiging less useful in general. Everyone voting for C should switch their vote to B.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

rudatron posted:

On the contrary, seiging is the only way to militarily take provinces, and C speeds that up.

You can't take provinces if you don't defeat the armies.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I thought we were supposed to be doing a non-standard LP here, anyway? Grand Army is bog-loving standard.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Kavak posted:

All we have available right now are military ideas. Besides, ideals need to take a backseat to practicality once in a while.

Battlefield Commissions (B) is still a military choice, and is extremely practical, but is more interesting by far than Grand Army. It improves our generals' Shock value, which is very powerful. If B and C combine on B, we can beat that boring-rear end A vote. Which has been chosen in undoubtedly every Paradox LP since the beginning of time.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

LordBaxter posted:

It's probably been chosen in every LP because the idea of having a grand army is rad as hell.

It is much radder to have badass generals with awesome lightning powers. This is indisputable.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

uPen posted:

It probably hasn't since vanilla battlefield commissions is pretty useless. So far it looks like Wiz has done a great job shoring up the weaker ideas and nerfing some of the 'must have' ones.

That's what I said? It's a very powerful idea now.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Pakled posted:

10% Land Tech isn't that great, since we already get 25% land tech from western arms trade and another 25% to ALL tech cost from that other modifier. We have decent manpower and army size. Army leadership will prove the bottleneck, when our huge armies have no decent generals we WILL lose wars. +1 Shock to every general is a massive bonus, one that doesn't require any upkeep, and good military tradition means we'll also get great military advisers.

Rarity posted:

I too care deeply about a game on the internet. I must make sure everyone knows. But how...?

Make a huge post like the guy above you? I dunno man, I don't really understand that mindset.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Rarity posted:

Nah, I think I'm gonna settle for whining like a manbaby when things don't go my way.

Knock yourself out bro-ny

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
It makes sense that a culture would tolerate heathens but not heretics. Heathens are different people, and could reasonably be seen as ignorant rather than actively evil. The same could not be said for heretics, even when they are different peoples, they have seen and rejected the true faith for a slightly different, evil variant.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Government: A (Administrative Monarchy)
Idea: A (Ecumenism)

Nothing much to say about it.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
The best thing about Finland in the Hohenverse was the choice to create a Finno-Russian Empire.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
That's US! WE are the regency council!!!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
What is Russia's current mission?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
God dammit.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Yeah, in gameplay terms, A is probably the least helpful. But whatever you know, this is what comes of lots of people who have no idea how to play this game voting.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Pakled posted:

I voted for A because I don't like how some people in this thread are voting on how they want Azerbaijan to be 400 years in the future instead of based on current events and A is most likely to defeat them :colbert:

That is an odd thing to dislike. How else would you prefer people justify their vote? None of the choices are based on current events - a military choice would be available if so, because Russia gaining an Attack Azerbaijan mission is a huge red flag. But if it is gamey to vote based on a theme that has emerged for this particular LP - multiculturalism, liberalism, whatever - then it is doubly so to vote based on the mission that Russia has drawn.

You should vote for what you feel is best. Voting based on spite makes this feel like a real-life American election.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Nepalese Robot posted:

Do you have autism or something

Do you?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

The Saurus posted:

You can choose your vote based on RP or in-character reasons other than tolerance, you know. The votes aren't just for national ideas, they're for how Wiz continues to play the game. The vote for the cabinet is a vote for Azeri 'soft power' and an attempt to obtain hegemony in the region through diplomacy, as well as maintaining a large coalition of allies so that we don't get killed all the time.

The people who are choosing A seem to largely justify it in response to Russian aggression.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

The Saurus posted:

:ssh: Whining about me whining is even more pointless and tiresome than the original whining

Good lord, will you please shut up? You're the most annoying poster in these threads by far, and you seem to revel in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Am I that annoying? I apologize, if so. If it is just my avatar, there is nothing I can do about it, but if it is otherwise...well, I will try to tone my posts down a bit. I've looked over my posts in the thread and can't find anything particularly objectionable, at least any more so than what that idiot has posted, but I'll stop if I'm overruled.

• Locked thread