Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Jimmy4400nav posted:

It updates the graphics, and makes a ton of small tweaks, some more noticeable than others. One of the biggest changes is breaking Switzerland into more chunks, instead of two large provinces, you get six smaller ones. Also buildings follow a specific building pathway along tech lines (for example, government tech: Church, leads to courthouse, leads to spy agency, leads to town hall, leads to college...)
Did they finally correct the ethnic makeup as well? In vanilla EU3 HTTT both Swiss provinces were Rheinlaender; even the whole world mod didn't do anything to simulate the French and Italian minorities. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
I just read the entire Hohenzollern LP on LPArchive. Holy poo poo. This is going to be amazing.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Ogianres posted:

Who knows? Maybe they conquer the middle east then convert to christianity. That'd be weird (is this something that can happen?
The non-Wiz Paradox mega-LP in the archive has a powerful Jerusalem, and he had a couple Mongol waves die off as their leaders converted to Christianity.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Shroud posted:

What is this?
Google translate suggests it is O Come, All Ye Faithful.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

skipThings posted:

So, what exactly can the Hordes do that makes them such a huge pain ? Never played CK myself so I've got no idea. Do they get free provinces, insane bonuses. The only thing mentioned was that they have no problem controlling all the land without feudal chit-chat.
I'm not sure if Wiz's mod is different, but generally they don't suffer attrition (and your forces still suffer attrition caused by their hordes) and they can occasionally receive massive armies from off-map to represent new Hordes. Another LP I read had the Kingdom of Jerusalem knock the il-Khanate down to a single province... that suddenly got 60,000 new men and utterly hosed him for awhile.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

AgentF posted:

Historical questions: Why were there so many Mongols? Where'd they all come from? Why'd they all migrate together? Why didn't they peter out before reaching Europe? How come Europe didn't have such huge numbers of people just ready and willing to be a continent-spanning army?
I'll take a shot:

The mongols were a collection of related tribes from the Steppes region, generally disunited but occasionally united under a single leader (like Dschingis). Part of the reason they were so numerous is that, a) the nomadic nature of the tribes prevented a lot of the outbreaks of disease that destroyed more settled populations in Europe, India, etc., and b) they had a huge amount of quite isolated land to sustain the nomadic lifestyle while being insulated from outside influence. So you could easily have two or three million people on the steppes in the best health you could reasonably expect for the time - all of them very hardy as a result of the climate of the area.

Another key factor is that a mongol archer riding a mare was his own supply line - a combination of milk and blood could be all a warrior would eat for days at a time, bulked up by hastily hunted meat. The Hordes would massively overhunt an area when concentrated, but with how quickly they'd move...

As to the cultural or social reasons for the Hordes developing, I admit I don't know well enough to say.

edit: though it's impossible to know exactly the size of the Mongolian steppe, it was probably about as large as modern India.

lonelywurm fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 12, 2011

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

AgentF posted:

But other powers had already mastered the horse archer, such as the Parthians. Why didn't this make them a similar superpower?
Manpower. An agrarian society requires far more people "back home" to maintain both remaining populations and supply lines to front-line soldiers. I think maintaining a standing army of even 2% of population can be straining for an industrial society; but for a society like the Mongols, huge armies could be raised without destroying themselves from the inside, at least over the timespans the invasions lasted (oddly, these advantages ensured no one withstood them for long, really). Even taking half the abled-bodied men would have been a death sentence for a European society when harvests began to rot or seeds went unsown; not so for the Mongols.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

AgentF posted:

How do they tap the horse? Do they just stab it? If so, how do they close the wound afterwards? Surely they'd have horses continually getting infections and falling ill.
They'd use a sharp dagger and make a small nick in a vein in the horse's neck, then staunch the flow with cloth or something until it coagulated.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Kavak posted:

Victoria 2 has plenty of grassland and plains in the region, so I think it's an older problem. I can't remember EU III's map right now.
The Levant, Sinai, and Nile delta areas are mostly plains with a smattering of farmland (usually <10%), hills, and a bit of forest. This is in EU3, HTTH, no mods.

Most of the rest of Africa is, as DocFrance says, utter hellholes. Nothing like 13% attrition because it's hot out!

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Yes, those Swedes; militant Christians and notorious racists, every last one of 'em.

Can people stop with this 'brown people' thing already? It's so...cheap.
Well, first off, no one's suggesting it's some failing of the Swedish character, so relax. Second of all, one does not have to be explicitly racist or militantly Christian in order to be ethnocentric, and it's not unreasonable to point out that ethnocentrism and its effects on gameplay.

Plus, this isn't D&D, I'm pretty sure jokes are still allowed here.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
Well, good thing I hit preview before I posted. Phlegmish, if you feel like continuing this, my AIM is in my profile.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Nakar posted:

Is Wales a Kingdom in Wiz's setup? If so it might not be getting focused on because of culture differences, an equal-level title, and a lack of claims on the throne of Wales.
Just went back and checked and yeah, Wales is a Kingdom.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Wiz posted:

Yes.
It does? Hot drat, I'm so glad I found this out. I could never play a colonial empire because I always felt bad about destroying innumerable cultures in the process, because this affected a few friends of mine and I'm a little pussy who will toss away millions of lives in simulated warfare but not be a party to simulated cultural genocide.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

BklynBruzer posted:

If memory serves, aside from the HRE there aren't elective monarchies in EU3.
There's the Noble Republic, which elects a new monarch every eight years.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Kavak posted:

A Noble Republic is as close as your going to get. There's no government to model a King who rules for life with an elected replacement in vanilla EU III.
Looks like it's pretty easy to add, though: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?466195-Elective-Monarchy

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

You didn't think there were a million people in Europe? I think your sense of scale is a little off.
To be fair, a million soldiers represents around 2% of the entire estimated population of Europe at 1450, which is when I start seeing those sort of death armies.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Conskill posted:

I'm at a loss. You're routinely seeing the game throw 1,000 regiment armies at you? I think I could count on one hand the number of times I've seen more than 100 regiments on one side of a fight.
Not a single army or nation, no. But the first poster mentioned cascading alliances and such as the Ottomans, and under circumstances like that:

Counting various major European powers over the span of a two or three year war? Probably not quite 1,000, but 500 or 600 on both sides, sure. It's not remotely uncommon to see England with 100, France with close to 200, and Austria and Hungary as well as Castille to be up around there too. I had a game as Bohemia and lost fairly early on because Burgundy, England, and France all ended up in an incestuous alliance and I ended up at war with all three as HRE, and they had like 280,000 men between just them.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
This depends on if Italy remained Hauteville, or passed onto the Anjous, or a different dynasty altogether. If it did remain Hauteville, you could have something like this:

The white and red checkered band was a part of the Hauteville CoA (on a blue field, according to Wikipedia), the St George's Cross was a flag of Genoa and a bit of an emblem in Milan as well, and the Venetian lion is self-explanatory.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Just out of curiosity - what would happen if the Papal State got annexed? I don't think that happened in any of my Paradox playthroughs, but considering our current Pope is quite weak and surrounded by united Italy, I like to think it's a possibility.
In Vanilla, the nation that conquers it gets an option to create it again with Rome, and if the nation declines, random Bishoprics get the same option until one accepts. I once had the Pope in Elsass.

Edit: for gently caress's sake. :(

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Tomn posted:

All this flagchat is starting to give me an idea of what Crete must have looked like for a newcomer or outsider in general, albeit far less vitriolic.
Pretty much. Two pages of bitching about Italian dynasties, medieval heraldic conventions, and the role of Roman titles certainly turned me off from wanting to participate.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
I also really don't think early European forts in the Americas - North America at least - are even worth mentioning. As far as I know, the first serious fortifications of note in my country (Canada) didn't start appearing until the middle of the 18th Century, and that was as a major royal navy base for all North America.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
Voting B. Let's get our love on.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Proposition Joe posted:

Qurighar, a Uyghur remnant of Timur's empire that have the best flag in the world.

Quirighar owns.
I fixed this a little bit:

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

A, Grand Army.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Government:
Option A, administrative monarchy.

Idea:
Option B, national bank.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Mu Cow posted:

Sweden's colony can't be completely useless. There has to be something there, like a port. Okay, Churchill, Manitoba is there. Let's see what Wikipedia has to say.

drat
My great-grandfather was born and raised in Churchill, actually. They had to charter a flight out of the Pas (I believe) to take him back home for a week before he passed away. And at least back in the day, before it became a tourism thing, they'd be shooting polar bears every other week at times because they'd get up to take out the trash and BAM, bear.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

No comment, just diplomacy, or Russia's gonna gently caress us like a furry fucks your childhood.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

NeoAnjou posted:

rule of tincture stuff
Note that a lot of violation of this comes with sable/black, and it tends to look just fine too.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Patter Song posted:

Nah, re Celtic Periphery, I've noticed that Paradox likes to do non-Euro culture by language family. Let's have a "Celtic" culture that covers all of Scotland, Wales, Cornwall, Ireland, and Brittany. England, of course, is "Germanic." (Anglo-Saxon = Saxon, right?)
I do love Cornwall being "welsh" (so patriots often end up creating a Wales in Cornwall), and that the Cornish area supposedly covers all of the West Country.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
^^^^^^ I think you're taking this way more seriously than anyone else is, Tulip.

Jazerus posted:

England: triggered modifier "No Tea" which horribly debilitates them until they begin trading in a CoT with tea.

I didn't see any way to get it to work with trading in a CoT with tea (I run HTTT, so if there is a way in DW, I couldn't test it), but you'll get it any time during or after 1650 (about when it arrived in London) if any English-cultured nation doesn't have at least one province producing tea as a trade good. I also added revolt risk, because why not.
code:
######################################
# No tea!
######################################
no_tea_access = {
	trigger = {	
		primary_culture = english
		year = 1650 
		NOT = { tea = 1 }
	}
	land_morale = -0.5
	naval_morale = -0.5
	cultural_tradition = -0.010
	global_revolt_risk = 4
	minimum_revolt_risk = 4
	icon = 2
}
code:
no_tea_access;We have no tea!;;;;;;;;;;;;;x,,
desc_no_tea_access;Our people are without steady access to tea, old bean! 
Perhaps you could nip over to India for a cuppa? There's a good chap.;;;;;;;;;;;;;x,,

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

seal it with a kiss posted:

Austria, ~1600, having a lot of fun with this mod.

Poland and Iran are racing to see who can hit the Pacific ocean first.
The Norwegians in South America are wily little bastards.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
Just a very minor nitpick (and feel free to ignore the hell out of it), but the vassalize Scotland mission for England still references France, which doesn't make much sense in this timeline:

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
October 15th, 1449 in my England -> GBR game:

I got really lucky in my missions and my diploannex attempts. I still haven't got Mann, but it's the last thing on my mind with overextension smacking me in the face.

This is gnostic Burgundy being invaded by Algiers:

And Azerbaijan's sliders. Maximum tolerance didn't seem to take root in this one:

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
Just noticed that forming Netherlands doesn't give NED a core on Utrecht.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
I whipped together a quick attempt at a Mahgreb flag, using symbols from the traditional Berber abjad to spell the traditional Berber word for the region, Tamazgha. I also just used some of the predominant colours from modern flags of the region.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

EvanSchenck posted:

Tamazgha isn't the traditional name, it was created within the last 40 years or so by nationalists who wanted a Berber word to use in place of the Arabic "Maghreb". That doesn't make it any less legitimate for their current purposes, but it's not something that was used any time before the mid-20th century, and not something that would be used by a state that would probably be predominantly Arab.
Welp, teach me to do anything at 1 AM. Sorry. :(

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
I saw one before 1430 in one of my games (I think it was 1.06). It ended up getting sorted out when Italy vassalized the regular Pope too.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

vyelkin posted:

It's been a few years since I was in high school and I'm a history major so it's hard remembering all the crap they shovelled at us in high school when I've gone on to relearn it all way better, but in Ontario (:canada:) there's only one mandatory high school level history class, which covers Canadian history in the 20th century from a very Canadian lens. You talk about a bunch of stuff to do with Canada during the 20th century, but none of it in very much detail, and nothing outside of the Canadian perspective. For example, the sum total of things you learn about WW2 are: Canada declared war independent of Britain, Battle of the Atlantic, Hong Kong, Dieppe, Normandy. More of it was domestic than world history - things like residential schools and Quebec separatism (from a very English perspective) were covered in much more depth than things like Korea or peacekeeping.
My history education in Alberta was surprisingly good, though that may have been a lot more about the teachers I had than the curriculum. As an example, my grade 10 social teacher grew up in Montréal (Anglo) and was a kid during the October Crisis. He did a lot more in-depth stuff on that topic than I imagine most teachers would have, and my grade 9 social teacher took a real interest in discussing native issues and the godawful things we did to them, as well as how it differed to the American approach. I distinctly remember him saying once, "The only reason we didn't engage in active genocide against the First Nations is because we really couldn't afford it. So we did the passive kind instead."

And then my final year I did the AP European history exam, and studying for that was more expansive than anything I've done before or since.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

ThePutty posted:

No idea what to do for fascist or communist, though.

Couple of ideas for communist Oceania (I prefer the second):

And one for fascist Oceania:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Proposition Joe posted:

Here are some flags for Aotearoa:
Aw, crap. I spent most of the day making Aotearoa flags. :(

Anyway, these are mine (no monarchy):

Neutral/republic, I can't decide which I like more:

Fascist: