Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
Are you going to be using Divine Wind once EU3 hits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

i poo poo trains posted:

:toot:

Can't wait to see you get in to pointless wars with Georgia and Persia over worthless tracts of land.

And the inevitable Mongol rear end whuppin.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Robert_Deadford posted:

/\/\/\ That's what I get for not hitting preview after composing.

I'm wondering if Wiz has read Kim Stanley Robinson's Years of Rice and Salt, and if so has it affected his narrative plans? It's a fairly chunky novel about an alternate history of the world after the Black Death wipes Christianity out.

Anyway, this LP will be good.
You can play that scenario in EU3 Miscmods.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
CK is also not particularly noted for being all that concerned with cultural accuracy either. It keeps things simple on that front since all in all it didn't matter much what culture the peasants on the land you held were.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Eiba posted:

Take over Georgia. Experience centuries of intractable religious conflict. Eventually get to the point where the only way to survive as a country is to be tolerant of other religions. Go on to become a liberal beacon of peace and tolerance for all the world to look up to, where Christians and Muslims live together in peace and brotherhood.

They have so much potential when they're young, but so many paradox LPs just grow up to be cruel religious zealots. Such a pity.
TBF unless you are the Ottomans going tolerant is a bad idea in EU3. The boosts you can get using a republic or having high Legitimacy and taking the tolerance ideas aren't as good as just converting the province.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
We are in fact in a prime position to get double teamed by the Ilkhanate and GH.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
While this probably won't be an issue for Wiz come Vicky 2, I just thought I would mention that Vicky 2's military scoring system is complete bullshit. Unless you have an enormous population or it's late game, almost all of your Military Score will come from leaders and that makes westernizing a virtual coin flip :(

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Yes. By then we'll be dealing with the colonial hordes of Greater Belgium and the looming threat of Ulm-Tuscany.
I just want to see Hungary-Austria. The Sjrbs ruined that dream of mine in their LP.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Frionnel posted:

To be far Hungary shouldn't have messed with the unstable mess that is the Empire of Srbja. :black101:

Just because it was dissapointing to me doesn't mean I don't think the Hungarians didn't deserve it.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
So do I. I really want to convert some place crazy to Islam and play as them.

theblastizard fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 7, 2011

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

YeOldeButchere posted:

Wait, Kingdom of Africa? Like, the whole thing (or at least the part visible in CK)?
North Africa.

No one cares about Subsaharan Africa.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
We must have the Sultanates of Firansa, Skandistan, Al-Alemand, Ruma, and Magyaristan. It'll be just like Dark Continent!

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
How exactly did CK do Timur?

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Pakled posted:

It doesn't.

I just figured he was a high martial leader of some random Khanate.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Pakled posted:

CK doesn't have any historical characters that are set to appear at a particular time aside from those who exist at the beginning of a campaign. The deterministic nature of the game makes scenarios even remotely similar to history go out the window within 20 years of starting a campaign. If you start the game in 1066, for example, it wouldn't make sense for Richard the Lionheart to suddenly come into being a century later since the moment the player takes control in 1066 all sorts of stuff could happen that would prevent Eleanor of Aquitaine or Henry II from even existing, much less getting married and having a son.
I was asking because I thought it was like EU3 with a date selector and not isolated scenarios. I just wanted to know how they would assign him without a Timmurid flag, but I guess that doesn't matter because of how it works.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
We are going to end up living the Turkish Dream of EU3 and taking over the Baltic.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

thark posted:

I found it to have the same issue as all Paradox games: The initial hump can be a real bitch--especially if you start as a smallish power--but once you get to a point of real power, you're more or less an invincible juggernaut and from there on it's just a matter of how much you can bother to conquer before you're bored. In CK, especially if you start as an OPM (ie count), that hump can be even bitchier than some of the others, and low-stat rulers or other randomness can put a temporary halt on your progress, but not really halt it permanently if you halfway know what you're doing.

Which I assume is why Wiz is doing things like playing by personality traits and houserules/mods to prevent excesses; it makes for an interesting narrative in the long run, whereas strict optimized gameplay just leads to boring blobs of doom.

Frankly, rather than a full mega-paradox thing from CK on, I would have liked to see a start in EU3 somewhere in Asia or wherever that's not on the map here, but maybe next time? (Not that this run hasn't been greatly entertaining already.)
Boring Blobs of doom can still be held in check by silly things like an HRE Burgundy sitting on the border of my France-England-Turkey-Central Asian Empire with tons of vassals/PUs including Spain effectively preventing me from gobbling up HRE Electors with their gigantic army vs. my giganticer but spread out army.

#superpowerproblems

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
A scenario randomizer would be more ideal if we had had a full Vanilla EU3 LP.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Rejected Fate posted:

But... nobody ever loves India. :sigh:

India only exists to give the West a place to get the Trade Routes modifier and the Timmurids a good way to settle down.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Pakled posted:

What I'd really like to see is someone play with the EU3 random map generator set to randomize only the new world. Especially if they don't tell the audience that until they actually discover the new world. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with DW.
Yeah, that is too bad.

Of course, I am usually a Eurocentric player when I do EU3 and I totally ignore the New World.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
Is it any wonder why Poland got ripped to shreds by Russia/Prussia/Austria?

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Snipee posted:

This is a terrible idea. You just know that some jerk will spitefully declare "liberum veto" if he doesn't get that he wanted.

So slightly more productive than the Cretan Senate?

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Rejected Fate posted:

That does seem to be a trend in Paradox LPs.

Perhaps this will buck the trend. Who knows, perhaps we'll end up as communists. I've not seen that yet.

Serbia ended up as a Polythestic Republican Dictatorship at least.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
I will never be able to bring myself to play Burgundy without the awesome EU3 flag.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

farraday posted:

Ryukyu or bust.

Ryukyu is fun if you don't mind not being Ryukyu.

Also the Mongol Khanate.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
Go Skandistan!

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Tomn posted:

Well, now we know where the Ildeguzids are going to end up next.

An Azeri-Scandinavian flag would be more awesome than a Golden Horde one.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Gorgo Primus posted:

Caucasian Albania is not the Republic of Albania.
The Caucus is good at picking places with names that have the same name as somewhere else, like Iberia and Georgia, even if the Kingdom of Georgia came before the state of Georgia.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Frionnel posted:

Blame the Romans and the Greeks. Notice the other Caucasus.

Alexander had one hell of an ego.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Nevets posted:

drat, now I want a Black Crusader Kings. Christians = Imperials, Mongols = Khornites, Muslims = Tau, Heretics = Heretics. Counties = Planets / Moons, Duchies = Systems, Kingdoms = Subsectors, Empires = Segmenta. All you'd have to do is change the map and alter some names.

The Mongols are clearly Tyranids.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
Please tell me you are going to use Burgundy's awesome EU3 flag instead of the uglier alternatives.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
In DW the Italian Minors have a habit of doing well in the colonial game without any pressure to do so through ideas or missions.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Super Jay Mann posted:

Also please tell me you have the ability to fix Japan because seriously Paradox what the hell.

I like staying as a Shogun controlling all of Japan while cursing the Catholic Church for not trying to convert me so I could go on a Crusade through China.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

BlackJosh posted:

Wiz has already had a Vinland in one of his LPs, actually. They got knocked around a lot by Muslim Mexico.
They more got ignored by everyone then became Scandinavian Canada to Muslim Mexico-US.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

frankenfreak posted:

Norway and England actually like to take it for some reason. It's also a useful stop on the northern route to America, so it's actually useful.

It starts under Norway's Control.

And England has a wierd habit of taking completely arbitrary Scandinavian provinces.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Patter Song posted:

Well, the big question regarding our immediate neighborhood is whether Timur the Lame (Tamerlane) existed in our alt-history or not. Since it's 1400 and Timur's not in sight, it'd be kind of silly to have him appear right at the end of his life, so I'm going to assume that this is a no-Tamerlane alt-history. (By 1400 IRL he'd already conquered Persia, sent us Azeris into Egyptian Exile, and was fighting the Turks for control of Anatolia).

India is divided between strong Islamic states that rule over unhappy Hindu populations (Delhi Sultanate being the most notable) and Hindu Rajahs rallying to oppose them (Rajputana and Vijayanagar being the most prominent).

China will depend on how successful Wiz decides the Mongols are. By this time IRL the Yuan Dynasty (Mongols) had pretty much thoroughly been overthrown by the Ming.

The East Indies have already had Islam brought to them (via Sufi missionaries, explaining the traditionally laid-back attitude of Islam in that region). However, the island of Java, among others, still remains Hindu.
I think it would be funny if Timur was menacing China instead of Turkey.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Cardinal Ximenez posted:

The European Age of Discovery was largely driven by the Ottomans' blockade of the Middle East; considering the fractured nature of the Muslim world and a powerful Italy, there may be less of an impulse to go out exploring for everyone.

In addition, if Italy takes Rome, what happens to Catholicism? If it happens before the Protestant Reformation, and there's not an internationally recognized successor, you might end up with a radically decentralized system of churches, throwing everything after 1450 completely out the window, up to and including one of the major sources of colonists in the Americas.

If the pope is forced out of Rome he relocates to a Catholic Theocracy

It is possible for one to conquer the pope an then become the pope.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
I can think of a reason Armenia would want to be Byzantium.

It's their Cultural Union tag.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
1) Did Timur die during his first military campaign? No
2) Did Zabulistan successfully resist the Ghaznavid invasion? Yes
3) Did the Mongol invasion of Japan succeed in reaching the island? No
4) Did the Australian megafauna survive human migration into the continent? No
5) Did Sundiata Keita die in exile? Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

BlackJosh posted:

I think it means things like Megalania, a giant Komodo Dragon, and giant flightless birds, and giant wombats and marsupial lions and all kinds of kickass weird creatures that went extinct a lot closer to now than people think (and of course you have the cryptozoologists and backwoods crazy stories of things like Megalania still stomping around in the remote wildernesses of Australia).

The Aboriginals had best have Giant Komodo Dragon cavalry.

• Locked thread