Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Can't wait to party like it's 843 upon every single leader death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
There are a bunch of religion-specific decisions in the little religious menu in EU3. It's pretty minor stuff, but it's present.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Question for this absurd succession policy: if the King's demesne is just the capitol province and his vassals hold all the other land, and he has multiple heirs, do some of the vassals get automatically bumped to make way for some of the king's sons?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Saurus posted:

Don't muslims get massive, massive tech advantages at the beginning of the game over the christians in CK?

Does this make sense as a generality? Sure, the Moors, Abbasids, and Persians should probably have a tech advantage, but the Seljuks and other Turks?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dr. Tough posted:

Ignore Europe, conquer Arabia and Persia. Maybe invade India in EU3.

Eh. I'd prefer to target the Caucasus as well. Convert the poo poo out of the Georgians and Armenians. Some Euro colonies later on, too. (Even if its just small stuff like Rhodes, Sardinia, Crete)

I want to expand the Ummah into the benighted lands of jahiliyyah (and, yes, conquering/converting India qualifies too). The blessed word of the Prophet (pbuh) needs to spread. Allah has given us permission to seize much booty from the unbelievers in terms of their possessions and in terms of taking slaves in return for the holy duty of the jihad. The Koran or the Sword!

OOC:

BTW, Wiz, is religious conversion as easy in CK as it is in EU3? I'd like some "Kill people, take their poo poo, convert the remainder to the pure and holy word of the Prophet (pbuh) and then releasing them" action.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
How the hell are the Hospitaliers this far east already?

Saladin dead, the Muslims fractured...Saurus does have a point. We (and Khwarizm, I suppose) have a potential to grow into the vacuum and be some semblance of...something before Ilkhanate comes along in ~50 years to wreck our poo poo.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kavak posted:

The best way to deal with gavelkind, the way I see it, is to never have more than one king title. The land will be divided up with each generation, but they'll still be loyal to us (We get to keep playing as whoever gets the title of King/Sultan, right?)

We get to play as the primary heir, so yes. This isn't actually a bad idea.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Sufi stuff is pretty awesome, but it has some weird-rear end variants. I hope this guy turns out to be one of those Sufis that drinks(!) and smokes pot to get closer to Allah.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

DocFrance posted:

What does the Koran say about moneylending?

Allah hates interest on loans. Great news for the borrower, not so great for the lender.

Islamic banks get around that by not charging interest, but charging colossal fees instead.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
You're looking at it the wrong way, I think. Clearly the Jewish moneylenders that lent the Kingdom the cash are going to roast alongside Iblis for a while, but our King just needs to redeem himself by expanding the House of Islam into the House of Jahiliyyah and repelling the Mary-venerating Christian heretics' "Crusade" with a Jihad the likes of which the world has never known. Surely Allah will not condemn his faithful for acquiring the necessary funding to accomplish his will.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Our calendar starts with the day our Prophet left his hometown for the prosperous oasis of Medina. Let us start a new calendar from the day we spilled the Crusaders' blood and reclaimed this second-holiest of cities.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Though we must avenge the insult of the loss of Derbent, reclaiming the distant Mosque of al-Quds and expelling the Crusaders from Medina both take precedence. The second and third most sacred sites of our faith, the oasis Muhammad took refuge in and built his umma in and the holy city that Suleiman and Isa loved, are in infidel hands. Let us offer the Crusaders a two-for-one on our standard "The Koran or the Sword" offer. May all true Azeri and Persian ghazis hear the call! Inshallah! Onwards to al-Quds and Medina!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rejected Fate posted:

Huh, Azerbaijan is also known as the land of the eternal fire.

That is the most badass nickname for a country ever.

I'm willing to bet that that's a leftover from Zoroastrianism.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Eiba posted:

(Though I'm sure this isn't how the game mechanics work out.)

It is and it isn't. If you appear weak and unable to fend off a challenge, your vassals will jump you. They'll also jump you if you have a tremendously bad reputation.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
In my current CK game I have a Duke of Nicaea that rules Malta and only Malta, so yeah, you can totally have Dukes in territories that are unrelated to their titles.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wiz posted:

I've also added a mechanic so that once the Mongols conquer a very large area they 'settle', meaning they shift away from Mongol culture, make peace with everyone and turn into a regular empire. Without this it seems like they always either conquer everything or disappear completely.

Do they also adapt to Christianity/Islam or do they stay Pagans?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Honestly, I think that Party Ireland is a legitimately not-bad idea. Not as a gimmick, but as a "get as far the gently caress away from Christendom as possible" strategy.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's also important to remember that the Mongols' first big target was the already-ailing Song Dynasty in China, which was one of the most (if not the most) high tech civilizations (and one of the richest, of course) in the world. They had a nice economic engine in China fueling their progress.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Just watch this for a while.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Worth noting: our rugged steppe cousins in Khwarizm are gaining land against the Golden Horde.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
The chances of at least one ruler brought into EU3 being an Unnamed Infant aren't too terrible. Since there's a whole bunch of Unnamed Infants in Osterreich, including one Count, and every child a male Unnamed Infant has becomes an Unnamed Infant himself, they can infect the families of Europe like a virus.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Guys, this doesn't remove Osterreich and its Nameless Count from the main LP any more than the Bhutan updates removed Bhutan from Hohen. Even if it did, the unnamed courtiers would just flee to courts around Europe.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Maybe my sample size is too small, but I usually see the Turks gobble up big chunks of Anatolia.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
If the map looks something like that, there should be a "Reform the Byzantine Empire" Decision for the Greek minors in EU3. "Conditions: Byzantine Empire does not exist. X must own Morea, Athens, Adrianople, Epirus, Nicomedia, Smyrna, and Thrace."

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's a good point about being one of the first states to recover.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Honestly, Schizo should have the crazed clown logo, not Crazed.

So in my current CK game, a vassal of mine asked to marry one of my courtiers. She's a 0000 clubfooted schizophrenic. Of course I said yes, but I wondered what could have possibly attracted him in her.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

No he couldn't! No he couldn't!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Can't wait for final world map.

Anyway, I think Khwarizm should be buffed in EU3 by getting the western parts of Kazakh. The little country that could deserves a bit more fightinng chance than being pseudo-Nogai.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Estonia's pagan, right?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
If Samogitia and Estonia are pagan, it could be cool. You know, since Sweden didn't get Finland until late, maybe they should still be pagan and force the Swedes into missionary work.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I also think that the AI might have the same difficulty actually targeting Iceland as the player. Considering that it's only marginally on the map, it's literally difficult to click on Iceland, particularly if there's an ongoing Crusade. Also, it's expensive as hell to ship troops to Iceland even from the Faeroe Islands, let alone from somewhere in mainland Europe.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Ah, that's informative, thanks.

So how about making it a bit more of a player? If we're going for Alternate history, why not make Vinland into reality? Give the native americans vikings to fight. So Iceland, Greenland and some provinces in Canada?

How is it different in EU3? Does it increase in usefullness?

It's useful in the sense that it's the furthest-west provinces you can get without Quest for the New World and that an early-game cored Iceland will put you in great position to colonize the eastern coastline of North America. Iceland doesn't really have the economic base to be very effective at colonizing itself, though. Colonizing can be really taxing on a poor country's economy in EU3 (hell, it's taxing on a rich country if you're going for settling a lot of new land at once).

Iceland in our game will either be gobbled up early by Scotland or England or ignored.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

More on topic though, what will the countries to the East of us be like? I have to admit to a fair degree of ignorance to the history of the area, but I for one would much rather try and conquer eastwards or southwards rather than go yet again towards Europe.
Maybe try and help Islam reach Indonesia? Or even Australia?

Well, the big question regarding our immediate neighborhood is whether Timur the Lame (Tamerlane) existed in our alt-history or not. Since it's 1400 and Timur's not in sight, it'd be kind of silly to have him appear right at the end of his life, so I'm going to assume that this is a no-Tamerlane alt-history. (By 1400 IRL he'd already conquered Persia, sent us Azeris into Egyptian Exile, and was fighting the Turks for control of Anatolia).

India is divided between strong Islamic states that rule over unhappy Hindu populations (Delhi Sultanate being the most notable) and Hindu Rajahs rallying to oppose them (Rajputana and Vijayanagar being the most prominent).

China will depend on how successful Wiz decides the Mongols are. By this time IRL the Yuan Dynasty (Mongols) had pretty much thoroughly been overthrown by the Ming.

The East Indies have already had Islam brought to them (via Sufi missionaries, explaining the traditionally laid-back attitude of Islam in that region). However, the island of Java, among others, still remains Hindu.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

theblastizard posted:

I think it would be funny if Timur was menacing China instead of Turkey.

YES. Timur's last great ambition was to invade Ming China. Let's make it a reality.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Talas posted:

And let them build a navy, maybe the Incans too to be fair.

Oh, and the Olmec flag should have an enormous helmeted head.

I strongly believe that the Incas should be a Despotic Monarchy rather than a tribe. You can leave the rest of the Americans with Tribal government, but I think the Incas deserve a chance with a reasonable form of government. Mali and Ethiopia, too.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wildstrike posted:

Questions I'm Wondering about :

What is the state of the Oriental Orthodox church?

How far and to which countries in East and South East Asia has Islam spread to?

As for the Oriental Orthodox Church, it's not in EU3 (lumped together with Eastern Orthodoxy just like every other Eastern Christian faith, including the Coptics, are), but I suppose Armenia could have an Oriental Orthodox minority.

As for Islam in Southeast Asia, it depends almost entirely on what changes Wiz has made, but in vanilla at least there are Muslims in Malacca (southern half of the Malay Peninsula) as well as the provinces north of them owned by Buddhist Ayahutta (provinces that can secede and become Pattani), as well as the Aceh Sultanate (owns Sumatra), the Brunei Sultanate (owns Borneo, probably the best Southeast Asia country to play as), and Makassar (owns a tiny bit of Sulawesi).

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Proposition Joe posted:

And the Sultanate of Sulu.

I always forget Sulu.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cardinal Ximenez posted:

In addition, if Italy takes Rome, what happens to Catholicism? If it happens before the Protestant Reformation, and there's not an internationally recognized successor, you might end up with a radically decentralized system of churches, throwing everything after 1450 completely out the window, up to and including one of the major sources of colonists in the Americas.

Nah, Pope just moves to Avignon.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

doctor iono posted:

Outside the mechanics of the game, though, the conquest of Rome could do a lot to discredit the legitimacy of the papacy.

Honestly, I think it'd have about the same effects as the IRL great schism did. It looks really, really bad when you kidnap the Pope and drag him off to Avignon, but it's not going to destroy the Church overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Just put some bizarre quasi-Viking state on Newfoundland called Vinland and make Iceland the only state in Europe that can "see" it. If Iceland gets its act together and conquers Vinland, it gets cores and possibly a "discover memory of Greenland" event that gives them sight of the coastline of Greenland.

Hell, it's not like Newfoundland has anything valuable going on in Vanilla anyway.

• Locked thread