Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Oh boy. This is going to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Oh what! This is absurd. Well, I hope the region remains Muslim despite it all.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
What? I cannot believe how fast that was haha. Is the Crusade going to war against the Mongols?

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Cyrai posted:

I just realized a Paradox LP with vast potential for comedy and chaos: Poland in EU3 with goons taking the place of Poland's Sejm. For those unfamiliar with the Sejm, it historically had power over legislation, taxation, budget, treasury matters in general, and foreign affairs. From the 17th century onward, Sejm sessions required unanimous votes on all decisions. No session of the Sejm could run longer than six weeks, and if they couldn't reach a unanimous decision in the six weeks, the entire proceeding was declared null and void.

The most notable feature of the Sejm, though, is the policy of liberum veto, which means "I freely forbid". The specific implementation of liberum veto evolved over time, but eventually, if any member of the Sejm declared liberum veto, that session immediately ended and every decision they had reached was null and void. Liberum veto was eventually abolished shortly before the 1800s, having been responsible for paralyzing Poland's bureaucracy for decades.

This is a terrible idea. You just know that some jerk will spitefully declare "liberum veto" if he doesn't get that he wanted.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Oh, but we just got a decent ruler again. :(

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Wow. Our dynasty actually died out? I'm not fully registering this haha.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Islamic reformations and waves of fundamentalism will be fascinating to incorporate into the LP. Perhaps sacrifice stability for increased probabilities of conversions or additional manpower?

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Wiz posted:

1) Did Timur die during his first military campaign?
2) Did Zabulistan successfully resist the Ghaznavid invasion?
3) Did the Mongol invasion of Japan succeed in reaching the island?
4) Did the megafauna in Australia/New Zealand survive human migration into the continent?
5) Did Sundiata Keita die in exile?

1. No.
2. No.
3. Yes.
4. Yes.
5. No.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Wiz is just a great LP-er. I didn't expect this to be back so soon.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I have to say, most of the fun I am getting from this thread is from reading the other goons. I'm often the spaz in real life, so it's just funny from this end. Unless we go for some ridiculous votes (say, ally ourselves with Japan, help modernize them, and then decide to diplomatically drop them in favor of rural and divided China right before a world war), then I see great things for Azerbaijan in the future.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

A

Honestly, I think B is more in line with our narrative, but C is just awful.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I really wonder how Asia is going to turn out. We have an interesting world set up.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
No craziness please. I don't know if I want our size to be much bigger than that of the Ottoman Empire of our timeline; we don't need to rule a quarter of the known world to have fun.

Anyways, did anyone expect the Golden Horde to last this long? This is a surprise to me; I mean, they actually grew after the result of the war too.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Can we singlehandedly take on Persia?

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

A: Administrative Monarchy
B: National Banks

Is 7 inflation that bad? I never played Paradox games before. But screw it, I'm voting this way regardless because I'm bored of tolerance and defensive warfare.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I just took a look at world map, and oh wow, the New World is developing nicely.

Oh, and on a side note, we should try to expand first down to reunite the Arabian Peninsula and then westward to consume Turkey and play a more crucial role in major wars and all that. The fascination with Pretty Borders have taken me as well.

Snipee fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 6, 2011

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Oh boy. The middle east is just too stable.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I really want to see us move back towards forming Arabia. Our unique religion has not been as big of a role in EU3, and it is just a shame.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Um. Are we going to try and claim the Black Sea like Serbia did in their LP? I did not expect us to expand north considering Russia is so close and all.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

i81icu812 posted:

Sure, the desolate islands in the rear end end of nowhere that had multiple abandoned settlement attempts is already taken. Let's go settle the uttermost part of the earth instead!

It's only 1559, surely Italy and Britain would be better off in Africa at this point? These subarctic islands weren't really settled till the nineteenth century. It's not like either nation has an overseas empire or whaling fleet or giant global navy at this point.

In this timeline, there was not much of a dark ages, and every nation seems more advanced and well off. I can believe the rapid expansion in the Americas.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Pacho posted:

Inca's holding up. Why do they keep my hopes up of a Native nation surviving until Vicky?

Speaking of which, Wiz, which Native nations decided to modernize and which didn't? Although I can believe that this alternative Europe had expanded this far this fast, in our timeline, it also took a number of extraordinarily lucky circumstances for Europeans to be so successful.

I'm looking more at North than South America. The 13 colonies never got that far west until almost 1800.

Snipee fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 8, 2011

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

BlackJosh posted:

Mazula wasn't really much of a democracy spreader. Jadakal was full of pretty much puppet regimes by the epilogue if I remember right.

They also dropped nuclear weapons on civilian centers. I think Mazula just ended up looking so progressive because Germany ended up fascist out of contradictory and poor choices by our ridiculous Reichstag.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Contingency Plan posted:

That's how I would have voted if I hadn't been away with no access to the internet at the time. The failure to destroy Mazula City, I think, was an important reason why Germany ended up the way it did after the war -- that misguided act of compassion proved Germany lacked the necessary fortitude to be a global hegemon and, sensing weakness, Germany's puppets and allies began to drift away from German influence.

This is frightening. I mean, similarly, I think the Soviet Union could have hung on for a few more decades with hard line militarism, oppression, and all that, but it wouldn't have made the world a better place. Not even for most of the people in the Soviet Union.

That said, I would have voted for bombing their capital just because I would have been in the heat of the moment. I was out for blood. The fact that our government could and did hold back truly was a shining example of the morality in monarchism.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

FadingChord posted:

We have that completely cut off by controlling entrance to the Sea of Azov, but Clausewitz doesn't really simulate geopolitics well enough for that to be as big of a deal as it was in real life. What's more important is that our Crimean provinces, when cored, will allow us to terrorize our rivals in Armenia with strategic naval landings throughout their territories!

Unless something major changed, I wasn't aware we even had a navy.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Proposition Joe posted:

Because if there is one thing the Balkans is known for, it's its technological innovation.

Warring States Period and the competition between Greek city states apply though. Maybe make it a 50% chance of happening?

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
The turn back into our Muslim brothers and sisters would have made sense if our country still cared about religion, but we have been going TOLERANCE for decades now. A skeptical ruler too. Oh god, I hope we can push back the Russians when our time comes.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Wiz posted:

It's not about religion though, it's about politics. The politics of not fighting 80k Persians while the Russians are busy in Qurighar.

I would have re-established the alliance with Russia if it was possible but it wasn't.

How are our relations with Russia right now exactly? It's not too awful I hope? I am just worrying that we lost our opportunity to further expand our territory now that our entire northern border is at risk.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

i81icu812 posted:

Looks like Zhen finally took Yunnan and knocked Dali out of the picture. They still have a ways to go to claim the major population centers along the coast though. I wonder how much success Zhen could have converting the population if they won. Hui Muslims should already be present throughout China at this point even before the Zhen invasion in really small numbers and they have managed to resist assimilating remarkably well to the present day. Forced mass conversion of the entire country can only end in revolt, so they probably have to go with either to top down ruling class converts model or glom Mohammed and the book together with 'Chinese folk religion' and call a day. No pork would sure make Chinese cooking different!

I cannot imagine this happening. Chinese folk religion is as polytheistic as it gets with idolatry central to many of its rituals. It's incompatible with Islam in too many ways. I can understand the two coexisting side by side with tolerant leaders, but I do not see the two converging.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Because I don't want to die. I'm hoping that they might be too busy recovering from the plague to declare war against our cowardly leader, but oh my Muhammad.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Wiz posted:

They didn't get the plague. We got the plague. It's a provincial event, not a country/worldwide thing.

Well this sucks.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

AgentF posted:

SHALL WE TOLERATE OUR OWN DOOM?!

When they write the history books, remember that you were all warned.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I'm going to be honest and say that some of my private reasons for voting A was because I thought the people screaming for B were getting obnoxious and because I felt as if it would be pretty awesome for us NOT to have a National Bank. Islam and all that. :)

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Can someone make a strong historical/role-playing argument for B? I just don't buy it.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Viola the Mad posted:

Azerbaijan's place as a center of culture and and intellectual advancement, as well as its strong tradition of tolerance, has allowed new ideas and ideologies unthinkable elsewhere to flourish. In a country where different ethnicities and religions have peaceably lived side-by-side for decades, folks are more amenable to the idea that all people are created equal. These ideas have even spread to members of the noble classes, who are likely to be even more worldly than then their commoner counterparts. The occasional intolerant king has only driven home the point that it is necessary to preserve in law these God-given rights in order to protect them from the vagaries of misguided rulers.

Meanwhile, a new bourgeoisie has emerged from the trade center of Astrakhan that is increasingly dissatisfied with its lower status (they've also probably started to intermarry with the lower nobility as well). Switching to an administrative bureaucracy has also produced an extremely influential class likely drawn from the bourgeoisie without which the country cannot function. The introduction of the printing press has created a better-educated and better-informed populace that now has opinions on all sorts of new matters, including matters of state. Practically speaking, the integration of gunpowder into the army and the establishment of a professional army undoubtedly drawn from the ranks of the lower classes means that aristocratic grip on physical power is virtually non-existent. The lower classes are increasingly dissatisfied with their lower status, and attempts to reinstate eroded aristocratic privileges provoke wide popular backlash. People no longer find the idea of equality of classes (likely supported by the concept of equality of ethnicities/religion) to be so radical, and they want that equality to be enshrined in law. Most nobles are of course extremely unhappy with their loss of privilege, but the practical-minded at the Shura realize that rejecting the lower classes' demands for a bill of rights will cause widespread dissatisfaction, providing tinder for a mass rebellion. Besides, if they create a Bill of Rights now, they can also preserve their remaining privileges.

I should note here that I'm not changing my vote, but I am a history buff and I love these sorts of mental exercises.

But why are the lower classes suddenly so angry? Our country is perfectly stable and content right now. There is no urgency. It would make more sense if there are food riots or we just lost a war or if we're overtaxing the subjects or something, but I don't see the radicals showing up while people are still happy. Furthermore, the bourgeoisie have little or no reason to support the rights of the lower classes. If the ruling elite could get away with just ceding rights to the growing merchant class, then they would.

Note: I know that this is moot, but I feel like this is an interesting conversation regardless.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Wiz posted:

I know you're just joking but if anyone is in doubt, this is never gonna become a legislative LP.

Not even like in the Hohenzollern factions?

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Morrow posted:

We should make Syria like us again.

We tried this game several times. I think just coexisting is good enough. We should look into expanding into Persia though.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
NO PERSONAL UNION.

This country will go up in revolution before something so outrageous is carried out.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

I like the idea of going Noble Republic, but it's worth pointing out that changing the laws of the kingdom right before a foreign ruler would inherit is 100% pure War of TAG_ADJ Succession material. At the very least it would be proper for us to take a huge relations hit with the Mughals, putting us in an awkward position with Persia.

This would be the best part. I want to see the war with Persia, and the less allies we have, the more exciting it will be. You can do it, Wiz! :)

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I just want to point out that our country is loving amazing. We have done a pretty good job of not loving this up. Granted, I don't think we control much more than 5 or 10% of the events in the game, but I'm still proud of Azerbaijan.

Also, the reason we would end up in war with Persia regardless of our succession crisis is because we hate each other and because we have a mission against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I don't think we're as troubled as everyone thinks. If there is just one war that goes right for us, then we're back in business. Look at the time we neutered Armenia.

Also, if this aristocracy paves the way for a communist revolution, then this will be the best LP in all of the internet.

• Locked thread