Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Orv posted:

Now I can watch this from ground zero instead of trawling through endless sophistry. (Creeeeeete! :argh:)

Making up fancy bullshit to justify awful policies is very very fun, but not very lurker-friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Tomn posted:

All this flagchat is starting to give me an idea of what Crete must have looked like for a newcomer or outsider in general, albeit far less vitriolic.

We can make it more vitriolic by having a vote about the inclusion of the Roman symbol on the Italian flag, and a three way debate between Gorgo, Saurus and Leperflesh on the inclusion of the Aragon coat of arms on the England flag issue.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

Wiz posted:

I don't mind changing province names as long as people make the suggestions for me. Changed Sudety to Plsen and Breslau to Wroclaw.

Could you please change province #759's name from Diamentina to Diamantina if it's not too much trouble? It probably won't matter to this (or any future) thread, but it's a personal pet peeve of mine. Also Diamentina is just plain wrong.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

EvanSchenck posted:

Yeah, but you have to question what the in-game fortifications would represent in realistic terms. A level one fort in EU3 seems to represent medieval city walls--something like a 30 foot stone curtain wall fully enclosing the principal city of the province, with an integrated garrison of a thousand men, and defensive structures (gates, towers, etc.) to help them repel assaults. That's the most basic level of fortification represented in the game, and how many structures equivalent to that were ever built in the New World? Basically none. The colonial powers built plenty of forts. But if an old world city like Magdeburg or Pisa starts the game with a level one fort, then what do you rate the typical new world fortifications, which were much more elementary?

Well, I don't think one would expect to find medieval walls built after the XV century. Also, walls are useless against artillery, and the main threat for many colonial cities were naval raids, so what you actually find in the new world is lots of star forts.

Portugal built 18 forts (and a huge seawall) around Salvador after the dutch invasions in 1625. Fort San Felipe, in San Juan, Porto Rico, repelled Sir Francis Drake. Brimstone Hill Fortress, in St. Kitts, was dubbed "The Gibraltar of the West Indies", although that's late 17th century.

So there were large fortifications built on the colonies, mainly star forts on costal areas for defence against foreign fleets.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

A central baking authority will only serve to erode the purchasing power of the people and will represent a real, if hidden, tax imposed on our citizens. Also, the holy scriptures does not give the state authority to delegate control over monetary policy to a central bank.

My vote is for B, a vote for Ron PTolerance, not Sin.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!
I might do a session or two. I'm torn between that one where Merry Marauder showed up to vote at the last minute and that one where you miscounted the votes and sent a wrong bill to the floor.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

A and A for me.

And Sniper, I swear I'll not abuse your survey just for fun, but I still think a script would be more reliable and less prone to error, abeit a little more :effort: for the voters.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

sniper4625 posted:

Yes, that is straight votes!

Also since I am not paying 200 bucks a year to get a fancy account, just use this backup if the other one is full or something. But seriously don't vote if you already have, thanks!

Sniper, since surveymonkey sucks if you don't pay them, why don't you use Forms on Google Docs? The only difference I see is that Google doesn't record IPs, but on the other hand it sends the results directly to a spreadsheet and there is no limit on the number of answers.

Obviously, you'd still have to manually check for double votes and fake people.

Try it out:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGxMUVRIQ1lGTXpUd19YdUZOaDBtbUE6MQ

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

LordBaxter posted:

If we inherit morocco we're probably going to have overextension for a while. All those uncored territories without a land connection...

Don't we gain cores in the minor partner territory if we inherit from a Personal Union?

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

sniper4625 posted:

Onwards to Armenia, ever onwards!

Stop changing your vote! You'll break the new counting spreadsheet! Rememeber: The spreadsheet warranty is void if exposed to water, affected by acts of God or Gods, abnormal conditions. Abuse, fire, flood, misuse, negligence, modification, corrosive environments and vandalism also void the warranty.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!
My vote:

About the icons and votes and stuff, here's some remarks:

1. The counting spreadsheet ignores everything inside [quote] BBcode tags.

2. The counting spreadsheet recognizes when you guys use any of the 3 voting icons. Unless Sniper meddled with it, the voting icon can be inside [img] or [timg] BBcode tags, and with or without the .png file extension. For simplicity sake, use the code provided by Wiz.

3. The counting spreadsheet DOES NOT recognizes the vote if you re-host the voting icon. If you do that, your vote will not be counted. If you do that just to gently caress up with the spreadsheet, you are an rear end in a top hat.

4. The counting spreadsheet correctly parses your vote if you use only 1 icon in your post.

5. The counting spreadsheet do not correctly parse your vote if you use more than 1 icon in your post, but it does recognizes it as a vote and asks the human operator to read the post and determin what is the correct vote.

6. The counting spreadsheet, if correctly operated, is able to correctly parse votes from edited old posts, and only considers the most recent voting post of each person. So, if you want to change your vote, you can either edit your original vote or post a new one.

tl;dr: Use the correct icons to vote, please use only 1 icon per post, don't use the icons if you are not voting, don't use quotes to vote.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

The Saurus posted:

I told you you missed 2 A votes.

Vindication! Wrap it up, countailure.

If this missing votes were from the automatic spreadsheet, I must take all the blame. There were glaring errors in the code that made the error rate shoot through the roof: 6 errors in 226 total votes, or 2,7%. Unacceptable.

The newest new version of the spreadsheet only missed Rutkowski's vote, because he never posted the icon. It also helped identify the 1 vote Sniper missed in his hand count, and corrected the total votes for C.

I'm looking forward to the next session, where you goons will surely find new, weird, unpredicted ways to cast your votes and screw up the automatic counting!

And crete was beautiful :helladid:

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

The Saurus posted:

Was that the time the civics withdrew the triumphs act, but then backed down before the end of the session and passed another one out of fear of annoying the other militarists and turning them to labyrism? :smug:

Yeah, the triumph proclamations passed, although the last one was properly named "The SAD act".

Failed proclamations included the "Saurus Silence Session Proclamation", the "Saurus Dewhinification Zone Proclamation" and the "Militarist Whining Proclamation"

And if I recall correctly, at the end of that session you ragequit the militarists because TMM voted at the last minute for an act you whipped against. I don't think you can claim that session as a personal victory or be much :smug: about it.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

Patter Song posted:

I know a lot of you are hostile to Crete, but it's worth pointing out that we had rulers on a five year rotation and many ended up with a great deal of personality.

I don't think the cretan experience applies in this case.

EU:Rome shows the traits of every single character, so you can have very distinct and colorful characters, even if their scores are similar. For instance, the 2nd most beloved dictator in the history of Crete, Alexander Peneid, was selfish, cold, vengeful, proud, blunt, very rich and a bit corrupt, among other things, and that's besides his M/C/F scores.

Compare that with the available information for EUIII characters. For instance, Sultan Kasim I Najjar: we only have his A/D/M scores and a mod induced very vague trait. Not much info to work with.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

David Copperfield posted:

My brain keeps looking at the different standards as Mahjong tiles to match.

Start by removing two of those white bohemia-like lions on red on the right side. Then... er... where are the season tiles?

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

Adyen posted:

With glow-y eyes and amazing auras that put pressure on your opponents while having a cute smile.

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/saki/c052/15.html

Saki is much more newbie friendly. They (sorta) actually teach you how to play the game! Not to mention having silly costumes and silliest reasons for everything.

I refuse to click these links, because I've already decided in my head that mahjong is like an old school version of Yu-Gi-Oh played by nazis, and I refuse to be educated.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

Gorgo Primus posted:

The best sessions I can't do due to conflict of interest, but I could probably do some of the really early ones if you want.

I think conflicts of interest only add to the flavor of the report. It'd be more interesting to read the biased perspectives of a prominent populist senator about a heated gridlock session than a impartial, fair report. Just add a disclaimer to it.

Although that would only truly work if we get reports from all sides of the cretin political spectrum. 30 legislative sessions summaries by populists wouldn't be as fun as a summary written by gorgo followed by a summary written by Bklynbrzrjasd.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

sniper4625 posted:

Hey, if you were gonna do a Legislative Summary, and you don't have Archives, TODAY IS YOUR LAST CHANCE!

As of 17:00 EST, Crete will fall into the archives. So, yeah.

I could adapt my "Automatic Vote Counting Spreadsheet"TM to download the content of every single post in the Crete thread, avoiding the need for Archives. It'd break all images and smiles and BBCode, but it would be legible. Sadly, I don't have archives and I won't be able to perform the necessary adjustments before the deadline.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

YF-23 posted:

I think voting icons should be outside of quotes to be counted by the automated thingie sniper has been using to count since he's a lazy gently caress and won't count manually like a real counter.

Yup. Votes inside quotes are not counted by the Sniper's Little Helper Spreadsheet©.

Also, the automatic counter is only here to do quick unnoficial counts in the middle of the voting session. The final tally is hand counted by Sniper. Unless he's lying to us and only pretending to do the manual counting.

Edit:

By the way, the current tally is B:27, A:25, C:8.

Magrov fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 5, 2011

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

Bohemian Nights posted:

E; Regarding Azerbaijan eventually turning into a modernised nation; isn't the tradition slider of Azerbaijan nearly full? If the requirements needed to literally modernise are the same as in vanilla, that'll take quite a while to turn around.

You are mistaken. That slider is at maximum innovative.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

I was going to vote for the national bank, but then I remembered that I had already voted against it in the past. So, B it is, for consistency sake.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

Proposition Joe posted:

Here is a combination of the Brazilian flag with an Italian flag:

This is an abomination! The green square is awful.

Here: a red, white and green flag with a rhombus:

Here is another flag with a rhombus:

Also, I doubt that colonial revolters would adopt the colors of the european nation they are fighting against. On the other hand, green over yellow is not adequate either, since those were the colors of the Imperial Family.

edit:

Danilh posted:

Lavrador actually means farmhand
In Portugal, "Lavrador" is used as synonym of "Fazendeiro", i.e. the owner of a farm. So landowner is not really that far off.

Magrov fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 12, 2012

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

Proposition Joe posted:

What royal family, this is an alternate history.

That's exactly my point.

Icecream Jones posted:

A fellow by the name of QuoProQuid in IRC came up with a flag for Italian Brazil.

But that golden globe is the personal emblem of D. Manoel I, King of Portugal.

You know what, Brazil should use the flag of the Inconfidência Mineira, a quite famous (and unsuccessful) Brazilian independence movement.

The only issue I see is the latin words becoming illegible

What's the size of the EU3 flag in pixels?

Magrov fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 12, 2012

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

cwDeici posted:

Yes, the blue is kind of boring. What's the color of Gaul?

It's either "Black over red" or "Blue and white stripes"

The national symbol should be a winged helmet (or alternatively, a menhir), and the national motto is "By Toutatis!".

Edit: Seriously now, the Gaulic culture became Gallo-Roman culture, and then they came under the rule of the Merovingians, and then there was nothing left that could be authentically be called gaulic culture. So there was never a medieval gaulic nation, no colors, no flag, no symbol. There wasn't even a specific place called Gaul in the middle ages, it being a generic name given by romans to the the whole territory of France (and Belgium and the Netherlands and bits of Germany and a lot of northern Italy).

I understand that Gaul here is just an alternative name for France.

Magrov fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 19, 2012

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

So, should I conquer myself? I don't remember if Alentejo was part of the Kingdom of Castille at the end of CK, but at the very least, the name of the mission should be changed to something like "Reunite Castille".

Edit: Alentejo was portguese at the end of CK, and Toledo (which is in the castille region) is missing from that list.

Magrov fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 1, 2012

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!
There is something wrong with the Castillian Mission "Drive the Moors Out". Al-Andalus is reduced to 1 province, and Castille had that mission, so naturally they declared war and invaded.

Since then, Castille's been completing the mission every 2 days and getting it again. For 3 straight months. I'll get a huge sphere of influence just for fun.

Magrov fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 2, 2012

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

Mirdini posted:

Magrov, have you updated to 1.03/1.04?

Ah, missed that one. I'll update now. Thanks!

Wiz posted:

As always, probably save game compatible but no guarantees.

1.04 ate my save. :eng99:

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

Lynneth posted:

Is it intended that literally every sea-province that can be patrolled is in Kiribati's range, making it unnecessary for anyone to actually patrol?

Yeah, the pirates in AzeriMod are not historically accurate. Wiz, you should integrate HAAP into it.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

Reveilled posted:

I'm playing at the moment as the Ikko-Ikki, and ideally once I've unified Japan I'd like to get into the colonisation game on the west coast of America. But looking at the colonial decision that lets you get colonists, it seems it won't be possible for me to actually achieve unless I sail off to conquer a province on the atlantic coast or build up an overseas empire through conquest first? Is there a way I'm missing?

If I'm reading the conditions correctly, you may pass the Colonial Initiative with:

{25 cities and at least 20% provinces overseas} OR {Naval Tech 16}

But only if you are not a daiymo.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!
Is the tribal conquest CB supposed to be this good? I just annexed Azerbaijan with the Golden Horde for 6 infamy.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

Nevets posted:

Clausewitz only generates random numbers in the range 1-90, that's why you've never been able to diploannex a country with a 'very unlikely'. Working as intended.

I'm not really sure if this is a joke or an accurate description of the Clausewitz Engine.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

Mans posted:

Caribe is the native of the Caribbean. "Federação das Caraíbas" would be the proper way of saying "Caribbean federation".

Caribe is the name of the region in brazillian portuguese, so "Federação Caribenha" would be the proper way of saying it in brazillian portuguese, as Frionnel put it. I guess in european portuguese your way would be preferable.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

Veloxyll posted:

Getting back to flagchat - this thread needs some sort of potato flag for rebels/governments of some kind.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

Walliard posted:

But what if Puerto Rico wants to join them?

Just add another yellow stripe somewhere adjacent to a red one and call it a day.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

axeil posted:

Capitalism? That's the anathema of anti-environmentalism. Capitalism leads to buildings and improvements that serve useful purposes. Anti-environmentalism rejects this. Our revolution must create pointless improvements! It is the only way to defeat the Green Menace.

Don't worry. Eventually the Capitalist party will spawn Crypto-Capitalists, who'll want to use the entire budget to build useless Banks.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

Mirdini posted:

I'll thank you not to disparage the 60% cost reduction on building more Banks the first 3 Banks will eventually get us :colbert:

Banks. Banks everywhere.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

HaitianDivorce posted:

Can someone point me to the Doc where all the Crete shenanigans are archived? I only ever poked my head in a bit while it was here but stuff like

sounds hilarious.

Here's my final spreadsheet. It has all the motions proposed. Sniper has the entire thread on a doc somewhere, but I don't have the link.

Trivia: there were 2 motions granting icecream access to every citizen and 2 denying the senatorial icecream to populist senators.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!
^^^
:argh: Sniper, Worst Compromiser. :argh:

I proposed the version of the Meritocracy Law that passed. If I recall correctly, the problem was that all the competent (but not necessarially loyal) personnel became governors, filling the cabinet positions with dumb people and/or schizophrenics. So, err... I guess I'm sorry?

And we actually managed to pass a motion repealing it after Wiz made a speech asking for it, but that session ended in gridlock, and right after it we proposed to kill the family of the Archon, who dissolved the senate and postponed the revokation of the law for another 15 years or so.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!
We were only bad at budgets because it took 21 session for people to get off their asses and try to figure out where the money came from and where it was going. There was a point when we civics had half a dozen buildings mandated, nothing was getting built because all the money was being spend on army/naval maintenance, leading to more mandated buildings that wouldn't be built and so on.

I think it was scribblekins and servant who actually figured out that we shouldn't spend more than we earned, and we actually had a session or 2 with sensible spending and proper budgets, before we started to hog the budget on purpose for political gain and to screw with other parties.

The wiki still exists: http://crete.wikia.com/wiki/. It's the top google result for the "Crypto-Civic" expression.

And the worst thing was the endless discussion about motion priority. For the sake of Hebe Wiz, please set the legislative rules on stone and don't give us any opportunity for meta discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

Rutkowski posted:

I wouldn't call that a feud. I mean, Gorgo was so friendly he let everyone in the senate and then some gently caress his ancient mother. :colbert:

The crete wiki is also the first google result for "gorgo's mom"

• Locked thread