Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

drat. So much for being a small empire struggling to survive!

Allah certainly approves of your religious choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Wiz posted:

Just to settle the argument about the Australian megafauna, I simply thought it was a neat idea and it's not going to have a radical impact on the world or lead to any incredibly stupid/implausible scenario.

In short, relax and vote the way you prefer.

(he says while adding in spider cavalry)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Looking forward to this.

Also, can anyone suggest any mods that make colonisation a bit less expensive etc. I remember in my last game as Castille (sp? :( )that I colonised a big chunk of America and the African coast, then when I went to war with England to crush their colonial expansions, I was like 10 tech behind on land and sea because of all the money I'd been spending on Colonies :( It did not go well!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I had my first ever forming of the UK in my current game. Also facing a full France which is mean. I totally made Spain and annexed Portugal though. Now I just have to figure out how to stop France from conquering me with his 200 troop divisions (likely solution - 300 divisions. Or remember that I have naval superiority so I can drop armies in his back lands and cut his manpower to pieces)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Obviously it's under the boot, duuuh.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Nah, that was one of the situations where you really should have known.

Personally, I suspected. Well, more hoped really. I have heard tales of this Crete LP. I can only summise it was filled with Cretins, and we hardly want that sort of arguing here!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

BklynBruzer posted:

Why do you disable pirates? They bug me sometimes, but I never had a huge issue with 'em.

The AI is incredibly bad at handing pirates. It's fine in the Med where there are ships all the time, but everywhere else it just gets absurd. I've seen the entire of the UK blockaded while they're at war. It's just silly.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It's more that the recruitable adviser list will be 3 pages of stability advisers.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Does the unlawful province -ve modifier still stick around even when you later realise "Hey, I can pull HRE provinces out of the Empire to avoid that!"

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Woo, educational LPs.

I also originally thought that a 'pitched' battle was an intense one. It meaning a set up battle makes sense sort of though, at least when you combine it with pitch as in 'pitch a tent'.

News is singular in Australian English too, so presumably it is everywhere.

I've always thought of a moral victory to be independent of victory on the battlefield. it being more about being morally right than militarily.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

So what's the over-riding plan for the LP? Is it just keeping roughly the same size? or do you plan on becoming a major power?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

C because sometimes our Muslim brothers are not so reliable, and C lets us pay for the armies needed to fight for Islam without selling Azerbaijan's future!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

So what does forming an Ibadat Khana do?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Whizbang posted:

Yeah, people like Saurus already poo poo up Crete, just let Wiz play the drat game and keep coming up with great stories based on the rulers.

Agreed/ And Alas poor Azjerbajan. We don't seem to be having much luck with allies!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

A Grand army will give us the men and the weapons for victory versus Armenia. In the last war Armenia was able to beat us with their stronger armour. We have opened up trade with the finest artisians in the east, let us further support our smiths as they gird our troops for their glorious march for victory. Siege strength matters for naught when there is no force that can stop your troops.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Wooo :D Go Azerbaijan. Grand Army paid off for sure. Whether Battlefield Commissions would've been better, I dunno. Grand army worked brilliantly though :D

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

A Admin Monarchy. Let us take some of the weight of ruling the country off our kings' overburdened shoulders

C Engineer corps. Inflation is less of a problem if everything we build costs 10% less! With our superior engineers inflation will go away on its own in time!

Also yay Russia!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

sniper4625 posted:

Way to tired to actually count, but survey says!

70 - 10 || 26 - 26 - 28

Engineer Corps pulled ahead, but it is still neck and neck!

Survey seems to have trouble counting to 100

Edit: Unless of course that's votes, not %. I blame EU3 itself if this is the case.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also remember that Wiz added a requirement for having 7 coastal provinces to become a colonial power to reduce the number of strange colonial powers.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Ah, I knew it was a number, and I knew it was a few so I guessed a little. Though I was thinking 7 was a bit high.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I am loving the language chat :3

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Well, at least our new ruler looks keen for some narrowmindedness, so we might get some missionaries :D

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Poor Mali. No-one ever coming from there :(

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

communism works posted:

It's great how joking about the fact everyone on the Paradox forums are pigheaded nationalists went right over everyone's heads on their board.

Is it still a joke if it's 100% accurate?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I see Russia happened too, woo.

Is that Morocco, or the Netherlands in South America?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It's all part of Sweeden's planfor the conquest of Norwegian colonies. With that colony, they can ship troops etc and repair their fleets in the new world. From that one port they can conquer the entire northlands!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I feel there needs to be a Wizmod for "Become Byzantium"

Effects: You lose cores on all provinces except Thrace. Revolt risk boosted by 100% in all non-cored provinces for 1 month. Units become tribal (to simulate Roman legions as opposed to more modern troops)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

YeOldeButchere posted:

I feel like this would probably be the most argued over part of the mod by Paradox posters. The ones that are actually arguing, that is. Then again perhaps EU: Rome has left them with a sour enough taste they wouldn't be won over.

I would like to think that by 1400 troops are significantly better than Roman Legions were!
Though the idea of Paradox forumers taking the mod seriously amuses me.

As for the Omany colonist, I guess they had a costal trade province or a horde trying to give them hugs.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The conflict with Russia is currently merely one of words. With a full Cabaret we can ensure that it does not become anything more. After all, Azerbaijan cannot tolerate anything if our lands are held by the Russians!

Edit: Or at least allow us to get a league of allies with which to oppose them. Azerbaijan cannot stand alone against the Russian threat!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Bah, all you B voters, think. Our extra diplomats will allow us to tolerate FOREIGNERS that much more. If you truly believe in tolerence, vote A, Vote for tolerating the WHOLE WORLD, not just the bits under Azerbaijani control.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Eiba posted:

Well, at this point we've already established a national character, a simple value, and people are pointing that accepted value as the reason for their vote.

Do you want everyone to explain all over again why tolerance is a good thing? I mean, I'm personally be really happy to do that, but I had figured we were past that stage of things.

Well here's why we value tolerance. Azerbaijan is great. Azerbaijan is not strong, nor rich, but Azerbaijan is a country we can be proud of, because Azerbaijan is kind. That is truly exceptional, and truly wonderful.

We're not aiming to conquer the world. We're not aiming to more effectively kill our neighbors for their beliefs or their land. We're a small country that holds many different kinds of people. People who would under other circumstances be out to kill each other, but because we rule them they're forced to tolerate each other.

Our country is one where peoples lives are just a bit less miserable because the only way to hold our state together is to accept different points of view.

A Bill of Rights will enshrine that spirit, not just for minority religious communities, but for all Azerbaijanis. Our history has told us that beating a man down will simply cause him to strike back when he can. We must show that we respect him, and then he will follow us willingly. Our country will be stronger for that cooperation.

From a meta perspective, it's exciting and inspiring that we're actually doing this. Posters on internet forums are easily given to a bandwagon mentality or meme spreading- it's a fun thing to do. What's interesting is which meme is strong enough, which bandwagon compelling enough. Typically the strongest ones are violent and exclusionary. "Blood for the blood god!" "Death to the infidel!" "For the motherland!" "Trains!" These are familiar and compelling bandwagons. They're a release from the constraints of what we typically think of as right, and an exciting indulgence.

But here we've gone a different route. The meme that's taken hold is humanism. It's not just what's good in the real world... it's loving awesome. It's exciting, it's compelling! People here are getting their blood up for being good people. It's an aesthetic appreciation for what's good.

I for one think that's incredible, and I'm going to do everything I can to encourage it.

It's true that tolerance is important to our brave nation, but as the wars with Armenia showed us we must be more than just tolerant. Our relations with Morocco have soured due to the callousness of one of our Sultans. They once called the Azeri Sultans their own, but now they are separate from us. Our agents tell us that our former ally Russia now considers war against us.

Through the creation of a cabinet to aid our Sultan, we can mend these shattered bridges, or more easily find allies with which to weather the storm. And beyond that, our diplomats can spread the Azeri spirit of tolerance beyond our borders, to make sure our neighbours tolerate US.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Darth Windu posted:

That is an odd thing to dislike. How else would you prefer people justify their vote? None of the choices are based on current events - a military choice would be available if so, because Russia gaining an Attack Azerbaijan mission is a huge red flag. But if it is gamey to vote based on a theme that has emerged for this particular LP - multiculturalism, liberalism, whatever - then it is doubly so to vote based on the mission that Russia has drawn.

You should vote for what you feel is best. Voting based on spite makes this feel like a real-life American election.

Even without knowing their mission, they just broke military access, which you usually only do when you're planing a war.

Plus the mission doesn't even need spies to view, so I assume it's fairly common knowledge among our diplomats and government.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

If Russia hadn't been big or scary B or C would've been better. As it was though, the Russian threat puts international issues at the forefront of our decisions. And with our less militant sultan, well.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

This thread is full...

OF CRETEINS!

ahem.

I like the RP reasoning behind things, it makes it more interesting than just reading 200 posts that say [b]A[/a]
We'll try and pass something for you next time Tolerators. Unless, you know. Missionaries. We must spread the light of Islam drat it!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Woo. That went amazingly well. Cabinet was a good choice.

Though Russia invading Quagihar first helped.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Speaking of succession, how's the Noname dynasty going?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

You misspelt Persia on the map. Also Thunder Dragon Empire :O Were they there since the start or did they rebel out of Tibet or something?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Servant posted:

It's the latter, but I think it's reasonable to conclude that the new ruler from the Mughal Dynasty will be more willing to help the Mughal Empire than, well, the Cowardly Sultan.

He's so cowardly he can't even take his wives!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Saurus posted:

It is a disgrace that the personal union with the mughals was allowed to carry on at all, but at least it's over now. we need to rebuild both our army and goodwill with one of our immediate neighbours, or perhaps egypt/thessalonica if we want to survive.

Do Poland have an elective monarchy like they did in real life currently? That's a good reason to be BFFs.

And then conquer the Mughals to show them the error of their ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Narrator posted:

As far as I know, there are no female advisors in EU3, so that's that out. And I'm willing to guess that Muslim countries by default lack any female ruler names. If you could make a national decision on the idea of gender equality (which is pretty ahistorical for a 17th century Muslim power at that), it wouldn't have much of an effect in a non-narrative fashion except for a few bonuses. I can't even think of a few likely bonuses gender equality would have off the top of my head.

I guess you'd do something with production efficiency and trade income. But maybe some revolt risk.

The only female monarch I can think of is Isabella of Castielle at the start I think. other than that it's wall to wall sausages.

• Locked thread