Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Oh my god this is perfect. I've been lurking the Let's Play forum for a while now and I've thoroughly enjoyed your LPs Wiz, which I've found very well written, amusing and some of the most enjoyable on the forum, and an LP of a non-traditional nation that usually crop up in Paradox LPs was just the straw on the camel's back that made me get an account.

Also, drat. Islam really took a hit, huh? Hopefully you can keep afloat and maybe grab some land in the vacuum. How confident are you that you'll be able to fend off any future crusades now that the big Islamic countries have been taken down a notch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Frionnel posted:

Finally, a Sultan that sees the truth of Islam. Worry not, fellows, for now Azerbaijan shall have the protection of Allah.

I wonder what practises our beloved Sultan does to get closer to Allah.

...Can it be singing? Singing is best. Or music. Dancing too is acceptable.

Party Azerbaijan :dance:

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

DocFrance posted:

The Sultan allowed the Council to commit such impious acts without having them properly punished. Would Allah look kindly on this permissiveness?

Hmm. This will surely require repentance in the form of a massive effort to gain closeness with Allah.

In traditional Sufi manner, we shall have to call in our Sultan and his Council to attend a massive display of dance and music in an act of dhikr and sema.

:sigh: The things we do for religion

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Can someone give a quick rundown on the biggest differences of Sufism with mainstream Islam? I'm not sure why but I always thought of Sufis as Muslim hippies for some reason.

This page has only reinforced that thought.

Well... they can kind of be Muslim hippies. It's entirely possible, as someone posted earlier, for them to practise their faith using drugs, dance and music. It also has an association with mystical stuff, especially in India where there was a large focus on angels and miracles. Intoxication was also sometimes involved, something that's a definite no-no in the religion.

Basically they believe that in their life time they can get closer to Allah by getting closer to what they believe is the sort of nature he desires. Everything you do is meant to be an expression on just how much you love Allah, and you're meant to destroy your own ego. You can do this with practising devotional acts, which can be a lot of things. Some of the things mentioned before are putting yourself in a trance, singing, dancing, music, etc, all of these acts being devoted to Allah. Meditation is also a popular practise.

But it's kind of varied. Different scholars had different thoughts. Some advocated basically said that it was allright to indulge in what Allah had allowed and others said all religions were acceptable because they led to Allah. In contrast you can get some quite strict Sufi practises, with a lot more self-sacrifice.

So yeah, all in all it can be a pretty groovy branch of Islam. Let's hope our glorious Sultan is one of the groovy ones.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

It is rumoured that our poor beloved Sultan claimed himself not worthy of Allah's gift of life due to his partaking of moneylending. Let this be a lesson to us all.

Also, holy moley is that a quick change of fates. Just as I was worried that we'd be under some difficult times protecting the small amount of land we had... and we get all of that! Are we now the most plentiful Islamic power? And I am sure our power will only grow with such an... ambitious Sultan.

We've got our eye on you, Georgia.

Rejected Fate fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 10, 2011

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

So under Semisalic Gavelkind when our boy-Sultan dies and if he has multiple male heirs, the Sultanate will be split under the titles, right? So we've the king title for Azerbaijan and Khwarizm, so Khwarizm under this situation would become it's own nation again. Does Azerbaijan still make any land gains at the end of this situation?

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Wiz posted:

Any lands outside Persia would remain with Azerbaijan, so it depends entirely on future conquests. At the moment we have three king titles (Azerbaijan, Khwarizm, Persia) so we can potentially split into 3 kingdoms.

Alright.

Guess it's time to kill some infidels and steal their land! Or steal it back! Whichever! :hist101:

I've never played Crusader Kings, is trade through the Silk Road reflected in anyway? I think there was some flow of trade through there at this point of time.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

So, who's going first? Jerusalem or Georgia?

It's called Crusader Kings for a reason.

Time to reclaim some holy land :c00l:

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Frionnel posted:

I'd like to follow you with a fitting prayer, sayedy Tomn

الحصول طرقت أسفل
لكن أستيقظ مرة أخرى
كنت أبدا لإبقاء لي اسفل
الحصول طرقت أسفل
لكن أستيقظ مرة أخرى
كنت أبدا لإبقاء لي اسفل
الحصول طرقت أسفل
لكن أستيقظ مرة أخرى
كنت أبدا لإبقاء لي اسفل
الحصول طرقت أسفل
لكن أستيقظ مرة أخرى
كنت أبدا لإبقاء لي اسفل

Truly the holiest of prayers.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Huh, Azerbaijan is also known as the land of the eternal fire.

That is the most badass nickname for a country ever.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

While our Sultan may not be a perfect man, we cannot argue with his results. That was a remarkably successful counter-Crusade.

I'm sure they'll learn their lesson now. :v:

Well our subjects may hate our guts... but at least we got the Christians out! So it'll all be worth it.

...Right?

Rejected Fate fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 10, 2011

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Pffft, as if mongols could threaten the glorious conqueror! Reclaimer of holy land! Sultan who is also kind of a dick!

Also mainland Europe is all over the place. Britain and Scandanavia look alright, though, and so does Poland.

And poor tiny Egypt.

How much territory does the Azerbaijan title, if we get split up again, hold at the moment if we have another set of heirs and the Syria title becomes independent?

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Wiz posted:

Azerbaijan itself, plus a half-dozen provinces in Mesopotamia and some dirt-poor Arabian ones.

drat. All in all from our previous eight provinces, how many provinces fall under our umbrella now?

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Have you decided on what education they're going to get?

Because we're going to need some military boys.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Wiz posted:

Since I tossed them away to other countries before their education, they ended up with court and church, respectively.

Ah.

Bugger. Let's hope the Conqueror still has enough years in him, then.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

What does Ijgazi's blue shield with a heart in it mean?

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

okand posted:

Here's crusader kings' manual. A trait list starts on page 34

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/C1Y0nWtL1QS.pdf

it probably wont have the deus volt traits though, and ones wiz added obviously won't be there

I checked there first before asking and I couldn't find it. I think it's a Deus Vult trait.

Edit: Thanks Wiz.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Wow. We go from a tiny little country to the defenders of Islam to an even tinier country in two reigns.

Looks like we can only pray to Allah that the Anatolian nations can force back the mongols leaving us a long mission to reconquer our land.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Cycloneman posted:

Also, if you forced the Mongols into a siege, they would get loving pissed off and burn your city to the ground when they were done. That's what happened to Baghdad, Al-Musta'sim made the Mongols besiege it, they destroyed canals that were thousands of years old, burnt the libraries, killed the fleeing civilians, and razed the city. This had a powerful effect on whether or not other people were willing to let the Mongols in without a siege.

"Do you have any idea how boring it is waiting in these things? We could have been out riding our steeds! You are getting your rear end kicked so hard for this"

Actually is this timeline's Baghdad in such a state? There was no real siege in this war, from the looks of things. Perhaps this time the culture and buildings are better preserved.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Ah, and the tides of ups and downs continue. We've gone from a tiny island to the rulers of Egypt. Well, most of it.

Perhaps when the BB has gone down we can rally with Syria and conquer a path through Arabia to challenge the Khans.

Hopefully the mongols might strike at one another. Or the Il-Khanate gets embroiled in a war with Anatolia.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

And of course to bring us down from our conquest of Egypt, a crusade comes along. I can only wonder what the next up swing will be. We inherit Syria? Wouldn't surprise me.

Also it looks like Wales only has one province. They can afford to send troops at us? Weird. I've never seen Wales break free from England for long, so I don't bear much hope for them. Would certainly be interesting to see, though.

Also is that Poland that takes up a province in Scandanavia? Sweden doesn't look too good.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

sniper4625 posted:

(Please do glorious Japan everyone loves Japan)

But... nobody ever loves India. :sigh:

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Pakled posted:

That Poland LP looked like it was going down the route of becoming a liberal constitutional monarchy. It would have made an interesting change from being a conservative Catholic monarchy like in Wiz's and Fintilgin's previous megathreads.

That does seem to be a trend in Paradox LPs.

Perhaps this will buck the trend. Who knows, perhaps we'll end up as communists. I've not seen that yet.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

The Nameless Bretheren actually seem like a pretty drat cool religious sect.

And finally we have our throne back! Now to wait and see our vassals go crazy due to our prestige and a child Sultan. :sigh:

Still, we've left a strong Egypt behind and a Syrian ally. All three of us might be able to slowly chip away some of the Il-Khanate's lands. And there's those brown territories and Cuman right next to us, who look quite ripe for the picking, after we rest for a bit.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Frionnel posted:

No no no no no! Tell me this is just a bad dream and you didn't destroy them all! :ohdear:

Wiz, you just went from best to worst Lper. :(

Shh. It's okay. Now they are one with God.

We can only envy them now.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

...Welp we finally get a rule who isn't a dick.

But it turns our he's completely incompetent. Maybe he'll die soon? Nah, he's going to live forever. Let's just hope nobody attacks us and he has a son that can actually do something.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Egypt seems to be progressing nicely.

Also I am sad that Mann has fallen in power as of late. And Wales just... keeps on existing with that one province. No gains, no annex. Seriously, I hope they try to gain some ground I rarely see them independent.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

On the up side, King Incompetent died. So long as his heir gets on the throne... hell, even if he dies we might end up the better for it if the Egyptian cousin gets the throne.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Ilanin posted:

Perhaps if the thread's religious officials were more attentive to their duties Allah would not have stricken Azerbaijan with this pestilence.

Remember when we had a Sufi Sultan? Those were some good times. Now look at us.

How many more wraths must Allah send us before we realise Sufism is the true path we must walk and that we must all chill out in his name?

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

Seeing Azerbaijan stand tall while the Il-Khanate is laid low makes me very happy inside. Our day of triumph is at hand!

I hope the voices in our Sultan's head, clearly angels sent by Allah to guide him, tell him to take out the bordering remains.

Revenge! At long last, revenge!

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm surprised that Wales still ahs not been conquered by England or Scotland yet.

It is the one province minor that could. I have not seen it stay independent so long.

It doesn't really do anything, though. Just stays that way.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Wiz posted:

Since I'm really just running out the clock at this point, I'm going to marathon this thing in four updates today. Because world maps is the main thing that takes time, I won't post any world maps until the final update.

First one coming soon.

Oh, Wiz. You do spoil us so. :allears:

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Maybe we'll get a military one soon.

Those mongols aren't going to kill themselves!

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

1) Did Timur die during his first military campaign?
Yes
2) Did Zabulistan successfully resist the Ghaznavid invasion?
Yes
3) Did the Mongol invasions of Japan succeed in reaching Japan intact?
Yes
4) Did the megafauna in Australia/New Zealand survive human migration into the continent?
Yes
5) Did Sundiata Keita die in exile?
No

Also Wiz I thought we had some relatives of the dynasty in Egypt. Whatever happened to those guys?

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Tomn posted:

That which was united, must divide. That which was divided, must unite. Under Islam.

Gentlemen, I believe we have our mission. We must unite the warring states and bring the peace of Allah to the heathens of the east.

We'll show them what a REAL middle kingdom looks like!

...Also we can have two personal seas all to ourselves. The Astral and the Caspian. That would be sweet.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

HBNRW posted:

Actually I'd rather see the middle east turn into strong democracy and maintain a high level of scientific growth, instead of being carved up by Europeans and becoming somewhat of a backwater.

Yeah, this. It'd be nice to see a non-European country that's actually a contender. Makes things more interesting. Like some sort of competitive new Persian Empire.

It would also be nice to be a democracy. Or communism. Haven't seen a communist country LPed in a Paradox LP.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Wiz posted:

That reminds me, I need to pick the 3 starting ideas for Azerbaijan (I do 3 ideas for each country similar to MM, think its a good idea). Any thoughts on what's appropriate? Remember, it should be based on how Azerbaijan behaved in CK, not minmaxing.

Neither Naval nor Exploration make any real sense. I guess a mix of culture and land ideas? Azerbaijan has a pretty good military history and we've had some pretty indulgent Sultans.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

I'm not sure about church attendance. Didn't some of the later Sultans tell the church no quite a few times?

Maybe national conscripts? I think conscription was used by quite a few Islamic nations.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Monkeytime posted:

Isn't Andalucia Christian in this timeline anyway?

No, it's mixed. About half Christian provinces and half Islamic provinces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

MadPierrot posted:

Oh, okay. So it is basically just like the other emirates.
Any flags that need doing? Flagchat anybody? We can at least start discussing the dynastic and territorial differences that will go into changing some of the national symbols of the EU3 time period.

Does Wales get a kick-rear end dragon flag in EU3? If not, this needs to be rectified.

Because hells yeah is that the coolest flag.

• Locked thread