Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Was Espanya excommunicated or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

CommissarMega posted:

Okay, so I've got EU 3 with Heir to the Throne and Divine Wind- any tips for playing Morocco?
Spain usually declare war almost immediately, get ready.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Danilh posted:

Also, big-rear end Mexico? Why not Portuguese USCA?
That was the real size of Mexico when it was called "New Spain".

Brazil should be named as a derivative of "Papaga" with a parrot on the flag:

Wikipedia posted:

Italian merchants in Lisbon, who interviewed the returning crews in 1501, recorded its name as the "Land of Parrots" (Terra di Papaga).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_of_Brazil

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

There were some people on the IRC brainstorming names for Spanish Australia and New Zealand. Maybe the name of a Saint if all else fails? Does Spain have any myths about islands?
The Spain if this world is Catalan, so no idea. Australia's name sounds like Australis and that's latin I think.

For New Zealand, I propose "Nou Mallorca". So one island of New Zealand would be "Nou Mallorca" and the other "Nou Menorca". Or use both for Australia and New Zealand.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Triskelli posted:

"United States of Columbia" is something that's being thrown around in the IRC. I like it as a viable alternative to "America": Columbus discovered the continent, wouldn't be surprised if it got named after him :v:
Who was the first to colonize the continent? I think it was Portugal, maybe one of their advisers.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Proposition Joe posted:

Its very early in terms of colonizing Australia and New Zealand and there is very little reason for large numbers of Spaniards to emigrate there. It makes more sense for the colonial revolters there to be aboriginal states, especially considering the vote we took that resulted in Australian megafauna that would have allowed aboriginal societies to have been more advanced.

One or two aboriginal states in Australia and one in New Zealand with a formable union tag for the australian states would be best.
Good point, quite a few of the Spanish colonies in America took local names when they reached independence. Mexico is the obvious example.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Proposition Joe posted:

It would make more sense to have colonial revolters be aboriginal states forming and resisting further Spanish colonization.
That way New Zealand would be something like Aotearoa, the local Maori name.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

EvanSchenck posted:

From the world maps of older updates it does look like the Maya had all but overrun the Aztecs and isolated them to a small enclave on the coast of Guadalajara by about 1500. They were then gradually overrun by Espanya and Portugal. It might make more sense to give the Central American revolter tag a Maya-derived name. "Mexico," coming from the self-designation of the Aztecs, doesn't seem as natural if the Mexica were evicted from Tenochtitlan and militarily dominated by the Maya. On the other hand, most of the territory would have remained Nahuatl-speaking even under Maya rule, so a Nahuatl name would also work.
Yucatan sounds like a good name then.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Not our tolerance! :ohdear:

Can we get a revolution going on?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Zhen is about to finish the other Chinese states, nice.

What's that little rebellion inside the Norwegian colonies?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Patter Song posted:

Conquering Anatolia was really stupid. We should've released it as "Nicaea."
What? And missing the glory of the Ottoman Azeri Empire?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

It looke like the English are beating back their revolutionaries.

What's going on with the Norwegian ex-colonies? Is that a new state between them?

Edit: ^^^Oh, I see.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Nooo, not Rev. Germany :qq:

Anyway, the trade for a Rev. Russia is pretty good I guess.

Edit: Oh, the USA is finally appearing.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

You know, a Rev. Azerbaijan sounds pretty nice right now...

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Oh, new countries in America, what are their names?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Wiz, how are you going to handle wastelands in the next game? I have no idea how are those in Vicky.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

i81icu812 posted:

Who the heck owns the purple islands in the south pacific?
Pirates, I think.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

The Doomhammer posted:

Here in South Australia, history lessons went (as far as I remember) Year 9: Medieval europe; Year 10: Egypt, Greece and Rome; Year 11: World War II; Year 12: World War I and revolutions, focusing on the Russian and Chinese revolutions. A decent enough spread, I guess. We ignored the last fifty-sixty years of history in the traditional South Australian way.
Why WW2 first and then WW1? That sounds weird.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

tmo rathnam posted:

I hope at least one major power ends up going communist in Victoria 2. I'm still mad about what happened to the Union of Rome.
At least the best country* won at the end.

* That's Mazula.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

I say we just drop the whole business with monarchy and jot up a revolutionary constitution. Join with Russia and bring a new, good job to the world. And hopefully get our jews back.
And surrender to those filthy revolutionaries? I think a parliament would be just fine to handle the boring things, the King has railroads to built!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

1. A
2. B
3. C

• Locked thread