Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
What I loved about the movie especially was a little ways through I began to work out that the 'joke' of the movie - that everyone around the protagonist were turning from real life people into archetypes from films. Like the kid's life was becoming the most awesome real-life movie ever. Basically during the train crash, the world transitions from reality to movieland.

No one is left out. Even the stoner guy gets to become a Cheech & Chong drug humor archetype from that time period of movies as well. The effect makes it feel like you are participating in what is going on, and you're up there with the characters, getting to take part in this transformation into movie archetypes. Few movies have that kind of exciting participatory feel these days. I left the movie afterwards feeling as though I'd just gone through the experience with my own family and close friends.

My only major gripe was I would have wanted a deeper interaction between the characters and the alien, given how much we were meant to empathize with it. I wanted something a bit more satisfying.

Anyway I really enjoyed it a lot. I am happy to report that the movie is still very entertaining on multiple viewings. Especially since you can look for and spot more of the film homages. The A+ heartfelt acting of the entire cast makes me smile every time.

4.5/5

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU