Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I'd actually be interested if someone could defend it as it is presented, because they had written it so explicitly it's hard to find any rational upside - although I guess it's nice that the demons won't kill you for being weak. But without contrasting it with othe SJ endings it's just unambiguosly bad - unless you really hate your life, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Kemix posted:

And thus we got the worst ending in Strange journey. Singing our prayers to an rear end in a top hat god for the rest of eternity.

So you object to people being happy while doing something you don't approve of?

That sounds quite moralist to me. I thought that was a characteristic attributed to Law, though.

It says right in the text that billions of people "share {Zelenin's} joy".

Not "task". The word used was "joy". Literal, eternal joy.

And not the capital J kind from LISA either!

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Tallgeese posted:

So you object to people being happy while doing something you don't approve of?

That sounds quite moralist to me. I thought that was a characteristic attributed to Law, though.

It says right in the text that billions of people "share {Zelenin's} joy".

Not "task". The word used was "joy". Literal, eternal joy.

And not the capital J kind from LISA either!

It also said those followers killed anyone who didn't join. I'm gonna go ahead and object to that.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Both this and the Chaos endings were clearly bad for everyone. In the Chaos ending, people who were week were killed, and in this ending, people who God's forces thought were too evil were also killed - remember the 8th day of Devil Survivor Overclocked? People who were thought too evil there could be redeemed, but there are no chances for that here.

Also, no free will. At least in the Chaos ending, the survivors had the choice to either growl or snarl at each other.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Luisfe, after discovering your previous SMT LP's in the archive, this was the first one I was able to pick up right when it hit shelves, so it holds a special place in my heart. Even so, it was too much grind for me to complete more than just the neutral ending. I am so, so proud of you. :angel:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its a very computerish method of making it so there is maximum happiness, which is honestly fitting of YHWH's end goal in the SMT-verse, being very draconic, very beep-boop.
How to ensure max joy? Force everyones brains to be joyous, remove those who arent compliant with the standard.

In that vein I'd argue the the chaos ending isnt really chaos, seeing that Jimenez and co. hosed about with the crew's free will. Completely opposite to Lucy's style.

BlazeEmblem posted:

Also, no free will. At least in the Chaos ending, the survivors had the choice to either growl or snarl at each other.

Beep boop Tallgeese doesnt believe in free will.
Or doesn't believe in the value of free will.

Which is pretty much the same thing.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Good work on finishing all three routes and keeping all of us interested the whole way through. How do you feel now that this whole thing's finally over?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

MelvinBison posted:

It also said those followers killed anyone who didn't join. I'm gonna go ahead and object to that.

Then you'd be objecting to something that wasn't actually said.The followers specifically didn't do anything to the others.

It said the Cosmic Eggs' power wave returned the greedy to shapeless existence. Now, ignoring the fact that greed is what causes or exacerbates a good amount of problems in the world, I'm not seeing why death (if that is what they even meant, and not becoming some kind of disembodied spirit) is a big deal when we literally had a zombie in a tux walking around.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Beep boop Tallgeese doesnt believe in free will.
Or doesn't believe in the value of free will.

Which is pretty much the same thing.

Oh no, I believe in it plenty, if only to spite people who talk about it not existing whenever they get the chance, and yet still manage to be strangely libertarian in their view of personal responsibility. It's an impressive feat of mental gymnastics.

Whatever free will's value, it's not worth human misery. Especially since each individual's level of freedom is directly proportional to who our parents were for most of us, and as a result an elite few monopolize it.

That, by the way, is what Chaos basically is: only those with the power really have freedom, saying anything else is more or less willful obfuscation. They're at least relatively honest about what happens to people who don't have power, though. Which is more than I can say for the Neutral alignment.

Global happiness for many is absolutely worth taking away something only a few people actually have in any significant capacity. It's not even like most of us would notice the difference anyway, we'd be too busy being happy all the time.

In short: Big Daddy YHVH really does know best! Would that impish smile steer you wrong? It's why Captain Picard stole his face.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 6, 2015

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Law Ending going all robotic and dissolving anyone who didn't like it seemed fairly par for the course, but I'm pretty unhappy with the Chaos path in this game. Chaos paths in other games have seemed to focus more on the Freedom aspect of Chaos as their rallying point, but Jiminez went full bore on the Strong/Weak dynamic and I just wanted to slap him. Sure, Jimmy, you're strong now: you're an adult male in the military, and you were born in America with all that access to clean food and water and vaccinations against child-murdering diseases.

Check yo' privilege, Chaos rear end in a top hat.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Congrats on finally finishing this horrible game. :thumbsup:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
You ever see that episode of Ren and Stimpy where Stimpy builds a helmet that forces Ren to be happy against his will? That's basically the Law ending of Strange Journey in a nutshell, except in this case, Ren is unable to break free of the helmet and so is forced to sing the Happy Happy Joy Joy song for all eternity.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Basically all three endings in this game utterly suck for humanity. You get to pick between libertarian Darwinist hell, permanent brainwashing and stasis, or a return to the status quo without accomplishing anything meaningful. The law ending at least manages to solve the problem without killing off 90% of the human race, so in that sense it's the best ending, but really none of them are 'good' in any conventional sense.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Tallgeese posted:

Then you'd be objecting to something that wasn't actually said.The followers specifically didn't do anything to the others.

It said the Cosmic Eggs' power wave returned the greedy to shapeless existence. Now, ignoring the fact that greed is what causes or exacerbates a good amount of problems in the world, I'm not seeing why death (if that is what they even meant, and not becoming some kind of disembodied spirit) is a big deal when we literally had a zombie in a tux walking around.

Oh no, I believe in it plenty, if only to spite people who talk about it not existing whenever they get the chance, and yet still manage to be strangely libertarian in their view of personal responsibility. It's an impressive feat of mental gymnastics.

Whatever free will's value, it's not worth human misery. Especially since each individual's level of freedom is directly proportional to who our parents were for most of us, and as a result an elite few monopolize it.

That, by the way, is what Chaos basically is: only those with the power really have freedom, saying anything else is more or less willful obfuscation. They're at least relatively honest about what happens to people who don't have power, though. Which is more than I can say for the Neutral alignment.

Global happiness for many is absolutely worth taking away something only a few people actually have in any significant capacity. It's not even like most of us would notice the difference anyway, we'd be too busy being happy all the time.

In short: Big Daddy YHVH really does know best! Would that impish smile steer you wrong? It's why Captain Picard stole his face.

You know, I don't believe in anything that you say, but it is always so fun to read your posts here.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

kvx687 posted:

Basically all three endings in this game utterly suck for humanity. You get to pick between libertarian Darwinist hell, permanent brainwashing and stasis, or a return to the status quo without accomplishing anything meaningful. The law ending at least manages to solve the problem without killing off 90% of the human race, so in that sense it's the best ending, but really none of them are 'good' in any conventional sense.

Yeah. I will not say that any of these endings are GOOD. There are plenty of games where the Law ending is a GOOD ending. However, in this one, I feel that the Law ending is the LEAST BAD option, as the threat is eliminated (unlike Chaos), and will not be coming back (unlike Neutral).

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Senerio posted:

threat is eliminated

Except there's a new threat that's already accomplished. It's hard to lose when you've already lost

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

W.T. Fits posted:

You ever see that episode of Ren and Stimpy where Stimpy builds a helmet that forces Ren to be happy against his will? That's basically the Law ending of Strange Journey in a nutshell, except in this case, Ren is unable to break free of the helmet and so is forced to sing the Happy Happy Joy Joy song for all eternity.

In my mind, that is now the song that Zelenin sings.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
Luisfe, you are a legend. Good work!

Also Happy Happy Joy Joy is now the only Law hymn in my ~headcanon~

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm sure they can sing other songs, like Weird Al's "Everything You Know Is Wrong".

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
anyway gently caress this game

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Almost 4 years to the day. Holy. crap. Please take a vacation.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

corn in the bible posted:

anyway gently caress this game

I like this game. But gently caress this game.

Thanks for the ride, Luisfe. I hope your next LP is less painful for you.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Excellent work! I can't believe it's finally over. You're a king.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Take a break Luisfe. I'm surprised you haven't murdered anyone yet!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Congratulations, Luisfe. You have polished the stick and no longer have anything to prove to the forum about SMT LPs.

I'm looking forward to the next one all the same, or to whatever you want to do after this.

Anyhow, pretty good run at Nirvana from the Law ending.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
It's amazing, it's over and done with, and you kept (most) of your sanity.

Thanks for the ride Luisfe. It's been like riding an intertube down Niagra Falls: hell of a ride, and you're thankful someone else is in there while you watch from a safe distance!

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
So... When are you going to do SMTIV Luisfe?

Wait, everyone, it was just a joke... Put that stuff do-

*is buried in thrown offal.*

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

cdyoung posted:

So... When are you going to do SMTIV Luisfe?

Wait, everyone, it was just a joke... Put that stuff do-

*is buried in thrown offal.*

Is there a 3ds emulator?

Otherwise I have no way to capture from the 3ds.

Also, if I am ever done with wizardry , maybe.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
There is no 3ds emulator, you can buy/pay like 200-500$ to have a hacker open up your 3ds and install an hdmi out port or something though for video capture. I don't expect anyone except media news sites to actually do this.

http://kotaku.com/my-quest-to-play-3ds-games-on-my-tv-1512835011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULcgo5wToCY
http://www.3dsvideocapture.com/

I guess it's a pretty big/reputable business?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I vaguely recall there is an emulator in the works, but it will take years upon years for it to be workable.

Name begins with a C?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tallgeese posted:

I vaguely recall there is an emulator in the works, but it will take years upon years for it to be workable.

Name begins with a C?

You're probably thinking of Citra - http://citra-emu.org/

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'm only 25% through this game and I'm curios to know, on a scale of 1 to 10, what would you all rate this game ?

I've played through I, II, Nocturne and this game so far, but I haven't played VI or DDS yet. Personally, I just find this game super loving bloated and annoying despite having loads of depths.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

uncleKitchener posted:

I'm only 25% through this game and I'm curios to know, on a scale of 1 to 10, what would you all rate this game ?

I've played through I, II, Nocturne and this game so far, but I haven't played VI or DDS yet. Personally, I just find this game super loving bloated and annoying despite having loads of depths.

There's a reason we've all been thanking Luisfe for getting through this.

The soundtrack is wonderful, the art direction is great, the writing shines in some places and falls flat in others, but the gameplay itself quickly becomes a slog. I can't really decide where on the scale I'd put it because I think it's simultaneously great and aggravating as hell.

If you want a better Atlus dungeon crawler, you can't go wrong with the Etrian Odyssey series. The demon management aspects are absent, but the "exploration of a treacherous labyrinth" part is there in spades.

If you're super into the whole "demon fusion" part of the game, go grab Persona 3 or Persona 4. Hell, that's a good idea regardless of whether you like Strange Journey or not.

Since you mentioned not having played it yet, Digital Devil Saga is pretty good. If you liked I, II, and Nocturne, you'll enjoy it, too.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

uncleKitchener posted:

1/10 because I loving hate it and I hate that I pre-ordered it like a fool

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
On my first playthrough I gave it an 8. It was enjoyable for me, and other than Eridanus, I liked the dungeon gimmicks. The last dungeon was nowhere near as painful as the last one on FF3DS, or the last floor of Digital Devil Saga 2.

Second and third playthroughs have made me revise that. Probably a 5, because the game CAN be solid but it becomes such a goddamn terrible unenjoyable slog. It is an absolute pain in the rear end.

I do not regret playing it, but I will never play it again.

And yet I do not feel as burned out by it as I feel for devil Survivor.
Got all the endings for that and ended up hating the poo poo out of it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Luisfe posted:

On my first playthrough I gave it an 8. It was enjoyable for me, and other than Eridanus, I liked the dungeon gimmicks. The last dungeon was nowhere near as painful as the last one on FF3DS, or the last floor of Digital Devil Saga 2.

That's quite a pain threshold to hold yourself to :stare:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

SSNeoman posted:

That's quite a pain threshold to hold yourself to :stare:

Considering he played this three times over...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Luisfe posted:

Same. I felt this game was a solid 8. Mind you, I didn't LP it, so I didn't have the enjoyment sucked out of my like Luisfe did. My second playthrough I played around a tonne with codes and had a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Yeah, I don't think I can really be bothered to go for the neutral path in this game, but I will try if it doesn't bore me. SMTI and especially II were nowhere near as a trek for the neutral path as this game (and since they were smaller games anyway), but you can say the same for III, even though that's one of the best paced and designed non-Persona game in the series. They obviously learned a lot from their past mistakes in SMTIV, even if that game also has a few really annoying dungeon floors and bosses, but not as much as this game.

I do have to give SG credit for making a serious dungeon crawler, even though I doubt I'll be playing through the game a second time, though I'll try my best to go for the neutral path.

I'll definitely try the DDS series in the future.

• Locked thread