Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Einander posted:

Magic is basically the second-best Demonica set-up, because the Vitality, Agility, and Luck Demonicas are terrible. Magic at least has magical durability and good MP, so it can make up for its relatively lower physical damage by hitting weaknesses more often. The fact you use attack items really well is a bonus, I guess? Strength is the best, but you can end up kind of squishy that way.

Yeah, the Magic one isn't like tragically bad. I will say that if I remember right the majority of attacks that ended up straight damage killing the MC ended up being physical and not magical, things start using really scary physical attacks like Grand Tack long before they start using anything magical that's anywhere close to as potentially damaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Feinne posted:

I guess it could be worse than us having the magic-type Demonica.

I'm not sure how but it could be worse. Maybe we could have gotten a broken one that levels down.

I'm pretty sure that Magic is the only stat that will actually make a fight HARDER on us later for being high.

Fitting that this ordeal would be all the more challenging due to our own hubris.

Francis York Morgan doesn't settle for the easy way out. :colbert:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I will say I found this game made law a lot more palatable than in prior games, especially early on. It's been a while since I played though, but I do remember some of the late law stuff leaving a bad taste in my mouth, so it's the only ending I never did.

This game really is criminally easy though, once you get off the ground.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Does Magic even do anything? I got as far as a little while into the second world before giving up on the game, and the protagonist was still stuck with nothing more than his lousy Fire Shot.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Heavy neutrino posted:

Does Magic even do anything? I got as far as a little while into the second world before giving up on the game, and the protagonist was still stuck with nothing more than his lousy Fire Shot.

Your Magic affects the strength of the Magic Stone items you throw at enemies. And yes, you do get much better guns and gun magic in this game as it goes. Guns that turn enemies to stone, guns that kill instantly, guns that annihilate everything.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I seem to remember a charm gun that pretty much breaks the game, which makes Strange Journey a true sequel to SMT1.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

neongrey posted:

I will say I found this game made law a lot more palatable than in prior games, especially early on. It's been a while since I played though, but I do remember some of the late law stuff leaving a bad taste in my mouth, so it's the only ending I never did.

...I'm more disturbed that you found lategame Law stuff "bad" enough to not do their ending, but you were A-OK with the rivers of blood and mountains of innocent human corpses of Chaos.

How does that even work out? It makes no rational sense.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 8, 2011

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Tallgeese posted:

...I'm more disturbed that you found lategame Law stuff "bad" enough to not do their ending, but you were A-OK with the rivers of blood and mountains of innocent human corpses of Chaos.

It's convenient that you're calling them "innocent" now, because you're whole lame "LAW IS THE LIGHT!" schtick kinda relies on calling humans evil, sinful creatures who are solely the ones responsible for whatever God's wacky punishment du jour is. Shine on you crazy bastard. :)

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

It's convenient that you're calling them "innocent" now, because you're whole lame "LAW IS THE LIGHT!" schtick kinda relies on calling humans evil, sinful creatures who are solely the ones responsible for whatever God's wacky punishment du jour is. Shine on you crazy bastard. :)

Nah it's actually pretty consistent this time around, but don't let's spoil the whole game before we are even in the Schwartzwelt.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Feinne posted:

Nah it's actually pretty consistent this time around,

It really isn't, but Tallgeese's mental gymnastics always liven up these topics. :allears:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

TurnipFritter posted:

While we're nitpicking and opening with weak ad hominem attacks, at least I can actually use grammar properly. "Your", not "you're" in the second instance.

I apologize that my "mental gymnastics" are usually correct and sensible, and are therefore difficult to actually challenge in any meaningful manner. No doubt this is why you chose to immediately resort to spouting senseless and mundane trivialities about word choice, which merited a response in kind.

However, let me remove the word "innocent" to humor your argument. That doesn't really change the impact of the statement, now does it?

Not to mention that it is patently false that Law stipulates that humans are inherently evil and sinful, that is your own projection. The vast majority of religions that I have seen this claimed about state outright that they consider humans as inherently good, but they must always struggle against temptations due to flaws in the species. Law as a philosophy is not different in this respect.

If you wish to try and debate with me again, my door is always open. Like usual however, you will lose. I just have to question your desire to stall the inevitable conclusion, as your arguments in this arena are just not up to par.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 8, 2011

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Does the choice of Demonica even make that big a difference in the long run? I played all the way to sector H before my DS ,and my stats with the Luck unit were only a few points removed from everyone else who went with Strength or Magic.

I tend to lean towards the neutral path in these kinds of situations, myself. If humanity blows itself up, then it's no more than we deserve but I don't see why the Powers That Be always gotta force the issue with Arctic black holes and locusts and rains of blood an' poo poo. It's like, 'lighten up, guys,' for reals.

('Lean' not 'decide;' I went with whichever path I thought would give me the best stuff. :ssh:)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Honestly, Demonica type doesn't matter that much. It's your allies that will do the vast majority of the work.

...Plus you can always save/reload state just before you level until you get the stats you want.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

you see, it is not that the mortals are inherently evil, but that they, in their ignorance of the lord, do not know better and are unable to resist the temptations before them. it is, therefore, the winged man's burden to educate them of their failings, and to raise them to a level befitting of proper society.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh god the game hasn't even really started and we get another alignment debate.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Hey it's not my fault somebody decided to break out the ad hominem. :(

All in good fun.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Speedball posted:

Oh god the game hasn't even really started and we get another alignment debate.

Just remind yourself that mesians are asshats and you should really just relax~

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Tallgeese posted:

Since it relates strongly to the specific nature of what goes on during the late game, I'll just say that it's largely a question of methodology for now, and go into it more later. I'm not much more fond of Chaos fwiw, but iirc I had some metagame reasons to go with them first.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

UberJew posted:

Just remind yourself that mesians are asshats and you should really just relax~
Yeah, I think we can take this one as an universial truth.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Do we really need to have the whole alignment debate in every SMT thread? Maybe I just missed some deeper meaning to everything when I played them, but my understanding of them is "Law is full of dicks, Chaos is also full of dicks." Which one is worse depends on the game, but they're all dicks, which is why you pick the neutral ending and kill them all.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Those who are willing to accept the gracious hand extended by their benevolent creator should enjoy The Eternal Throne, Strange Journey's main title track. Poor deluded souls who wallow in their illusion of freedom or, Heaven forfend, serve the Deceiver can also enjoy it, I suppose, but not as much.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Artix74 posted:

Do we really need to have the whole alignment debate in every SMT thread? Maybe I just missed some deeper meaning to everything when I played them, but my understanding of them is "Law is full of dicks, Chaos is also full of dicks." Which one is worse depends on the game, but they're all dicks, which is why you pick the neutral ending and kill them all.

Pfft, typical Neutral argument. :rolleyes:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Feinne posted:

Those who are willing to accept the gracious hand extended by their benevolent creator should enjoy The Eternal Throne, Strange Journey's main title track. Poor deluded souls who wallow in their illusion of freedom or, Heaven forfend, serve the Deceiver can also enjoy it, I suppose, but not as much.

If I don't really like the song at all, what does that make me?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Law has the better alignment theme so I guess they win?

Well in SMT1 anyway. In the others it just isn't as good so it and Chaos are relatively equal.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

alcharagia posted:

If I don't really like the song at all, what does that make me?

Libertarian? No, wait. Green Party.

Tallgeese posted:

:smug:

God, you are just :smug: incarnate sometimes.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 9, 2011

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Thanks for reminding me, starting from the update where we finally GET OUT OF THE drat CAR, I shall be posting links to the music of the game as well.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Krad posted:

Pfft, typical Neutral argument. :rolleyes:

From what I can tell, the arguments all seem to boil down to;
Law: Chaos are dicks, and neutral can't be trusted
Chaos: I don't like people telling me what to do
Neutral: gently caress it, kill 'em all.

I just go with whatever seems best at the time, and see where that takes me. Why all the hate, maan? :confused:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Law has the better alignment theme so I guess they win?

Well in SMT1 anyway. In the others it just isn't as good so it and Chaos are relatively equal.

I like Law's themes in this but I will grudgingly admit the theme that is associated with the Chaos character in this is a better piece of battle music even if I like the Law character's more as actual music.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Feinne posted:

Now you're just starting to do that on purpose aren't you?

Please don't smite if I think YHVH as a floating face is scary and I enjoy my delusions of freedom...

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

NAME REDACTED posted:

I just go with whatever seems best at the time, and see where that takes me. Why all the hate, maan? :confused:

I'm with you, man. Neutral's just my fave path only because personally, I never cared too much to side with any one path of the game, since both seem to be extremists in the end (And are constantly proven over and over generally with Alignment debates) Screw words, kill' 'em all.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

For some strange reason, I decided I wanted to get all the achievement thingies in this game. Totally not worth it, but the medals are nice and shiny I guess?
Hope you're going to show off the great variety of Frost dudes in this game.

The way later scenes played out, I never really liked Chaos or Law in this game. What I'm saying is, hooray for team neutral. Plus it gives you more enemies to shoot full of holes.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
The best alignment is the one with the most murder. :unsmigghh:

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
Glad someone is LPing this game, I've wanted to check it out but my DS is busted and I don't really feel like paying to get it replaced. Also, is it just me or does the Demonica Suit look like the dude's wearing an Espresso Machine on his head?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:argh::argh::argh: This is twice now that I've missed out on the start of a Luisfe LP! Looking forward to the rest of it, mon :v:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

Hey it's not my fault somebody decided to break out the ad hominem. :(

All in good fun.

Don't worry.
As time will pass the facts will present themselves and we can once again have reasoned debate.
I for one have seen no logical faults in your reasoning but I thus far lack the evidence to be able to either agree or disagree.

Time will tell.

Also, YAY new SMT LP! With Luisfe!
Lovely.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 4

Very well, let's just advance.

The next thing to be done is just to visit the other areas here. The Lab and the Med area. After that immediately, we get to the next scripted sequence.

Announcer: "We will soon be entering the Schwarzwelt. Take your assigned posts. Commander Gore, you are needed at the command room."

"First Lieutenant Zelenin, Crewman Jimenez, I thank you for your participation in the briefing. Everyone, return to your ships and prepare for entry."

"Well everyone, it looks as though we must part ways for a while. We scientists in Ship 3 are all looking forward to your support. Let's work together for the sake of humanity!"

"Remember... You're on your own out there in the field. You gotta be strong, or you're toast. If you're not confident in yourself, I suggest you get off now, while you still can."

Typo? Probably should be "in the field" but eh, doesn't matter.

"The future of the world hangs in the balance! Never forget that!"

And now, dramatic FMV.

Entering the Schwarzwelt at last. About drat time.
Also on Viddler

There they are, the four vehicles approaching the plasma wall.

Shutters get closed and so on and so forth, in order to protect it, I guess.

And then, plasma thrusters. That's how it they are able to fly.

And then energy shielding.

So far, so good.

So, the wall is supposedly several kilometers high, isn't it? Those are some thrusters.

And they are over it! Nice. That is good.

Of course, it is to be expected that things would not go as smoothly as planned, after all the unmanned probes did get hosed up somehow.

That electrical disturbance does not seem like it is the safest thing.

But of course, considering the shielding, it's nothing to be concerned about.

Or is it?

WELP. Yeah. The shielding was not nearly enough, it seems. This does not bode well for the rest of the mission.

Yeah, no. That is not good.

Ops Crew: "They're changing course, Sir... They're getting separated from the formation!"

Ops Woman: "Our ship's being pulled in by an unknown gravitational force!"

Ops Crew: "... I'm picking up a problem with the shield as well, sir!"
Ops Woman: "The plasma shield's output has dropped! It can't withstand the impacts from outside! We'll be sitting ducks at this rate!"

Well, that is not a good signal. At all.

Organic defense system? So the hexy energy shield is actually made of living tissue? What the hell.

"..."Pursuing"!? Am I to understand the Schwarzwelt is attacking our ship!? This is ludicrous!"

Hopefully not, that would make for an awfully short game with no dungeon crawling at all!

Strike Team: "The drones we sent ahead got in fine, and the Red Sprite will too! This turbulence'll stop soon!"

Well, no poo poo.

Engineer: "We're fighting men. This sort of danger comes with the territory. "

What is York's reason to be calm in the face o such dangers?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

York is always calm. He's had training, after all.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
Clearly his extensive fbi training has lead to this development. What else would lead to such a cool, collected personality in the face of mind-bending weirdness?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
He's not afraid to die.

(Because he can just save and reload.)

Also I think the 'Organic Defense System' is trying to keep the humans on board the ship out, not the, um, shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
York is a soldier. He Has Been Trained never to panic when poo poo goes down, as it always does.

• Locked thread