Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

:siren: Fixes/patches/stuff to make it run in modern computers: do a ctrl+f and search for FIXX :siren:

As surprising as it sounds, Fallout 3 wasn't the first installment of the series!

What are those games?

Fallout is a series of computer role-playing games (CRPGs) published by Interplay Entertainment and later by Bethesda Softworks. Although set in and after the 22nd and 23rd century, its retrofuturistic story and artwork are influenced by the post-war culture of 1950s America, and its combination of hope for the promises of technology and lurking fear of nuclear annihilation.

The first two titles in the series were developed by Black Isle Studios. Micro Forté and 14 Degrees East's Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel of 2001 was a tactical role-playing game.

Fallout 1 takes place in 2161 in Southern California and begins in Vault 13, the protagonist's home. Vault 13's Water Chip, a computer chip responsible for the water recycling and pumping machinery, breaks. The Vault Overseer tasks the protagonist with finding a replacement.

Fallout 2 tells the story of the original hero's descendant and his or her quest to save their primitive tribe from starvation by finding an ancient environmental restoration machine known as the Garden of Eden Creation Kit (GECK).

Fallout Tactics focuses on squad-based combat and introduces near real-time combat, called "continuous turn-based" by the developers. When the game starts, the Brotherhood is trying to claim territory surrounding Chicago. The player character is an Initiate, a new recruit, tasked to lead a squad of soldiers made up of available initiates.

It sounds pretty cool, where can I find a copy?

Buy them at Good Old Games for full, well suported and legal versions. It's on Steam also, but I advise you to get the GOG version if possible, since it has no DRM, comes with some extras and has better support.

I've heard there are problems with children censorship causing bugs/invisible dialogue/pickpocketing, what's up?

GOG's version of Fallout 1 doesn't have children, so you need to patch it.

GOG's version of Fallout 2 comes with children, so there's no need to patch it. If you have the UK/another version, however, you need a fix.

Please look below for download links to both games patches.

I'm still not convinced.

Well, the game's setting, atmosphere, writing, attention to detail and replayability have been almost universally praised — to the point that we still have patches and mods being made 15 years later. The way SPECIAL and skills works is pretty unique, too, and awesome. If you're even remotely interested in RPGs and/or post-apocalyptic fiction, this is your game. Besides that, war never changes. Also, take a look at this low intelligence dialogue and children being vaporized!

I bought it and now I can't run it/it's crashing/oh God help!!! :supaburn:

Read/post at the Fallout Franchise GOG board and you almost certainly will find your answer/be helped. Look specially at this and this thread for Fallout 1 content, this one for Fallout 2 and here for Fallout Tactics.

My colors are all hosed up, how can I sort it out?

Download the hi-res pack and change the colors to 32-bit.

:siren: The starting area (Temple of Trials) bores me to tears, can I skip it? :siren:

Convex posted:

This modified map file lets you skip the Temple of Trials completely. To install, unzip into the data\maps\ directory in your Fallout 2 folder. If you have the unofficial patch installed, make a backup of ARTEMPLE.CFG and ARTEMPLE.MAP in that folder and put these in there instead. Once you start up, just exit south and you're ready to go.

:siren: Those games are old, can I patch them with fixes/additional content? *FIXX* :siren:

Try the following first*, it comes with everything you need to get your game running flawlessly and a readme explaining how to install it:

Fallout 1 Fixes

Fallout 2 Fixes

*Huge thanks for seorin for these two packs!

Explanation for those:

seorin posted:

I recently decided to reinstall the Fallout games and give them each another run through, but I get easily annoyed at having to download 6 different things and then figure out what the proper order is to install them, then debug whatever goes wrong (because it will go wrong). I'm guessing I'm not the only one that feels this way, so I decided to just combine everything in a simple pack and write down a basic readme for it so I can remember what the gently caress I did 5 years from now when I do this again.

Alternatively, if the above doesn't work, you might want to try those:

Fallout 1

Special thanks to Smol!

Fallout 2

• Killap's Fallout 2 Patch extensively fixes bugs.
  • Killap's Fallout 2 Restoration Project adds some areas that were left out of the retail release, plus some other content which you may or not like.
  • Fallout 2 Children Patch adds children back to versions that had them censored. Attention: some versions of the game (like the US one GOG sells) don't need it,
    and some patches already include this, so please research before applying it.
  • Sfall Patch allows increasing movement and combat speed to up to 10x normal, mouse wheel support in menus, etc.
  • Fallout 2 High Resolution Patch does as the name suggests.
  • MIB88_Megamod "incorporates Killap's patch, plus a number of other fixes, both versions of the Restoration Project, and high resolution support.
    It's not for everyone though: It takes a few liberties and changes a few things, but for those of us who have played Fo2 a million times
    and want something a little different, I think it's the perfect thing."
    — Cream-of-Plenty

Fallout Tactics

• Nothing worthy of note. :(

For more information, check out NMA's Modding Forum and the Vault-Tec Labs (Fallout Modding Wiki).

Those games are too difficult, I need help!

Fallout 1 Ultimate Guide

Fallout 2 Ultimate Guide

Fallout Wiki

I've heard the soundtracks are excellent.

Yes, they are! Mark Morgan composed all the tracks and you can legally download a remastered version of the first game's OST plus some other cuts at Aural Network - Vault Archives.

I would like to know more about the game's setting/history.

I suggest you take a look at the Wiki and the Fallout Bible.

We have sequels, right?

Yes, Bethesda Softworks made Fallout 3 and Obsidian Entertainment, which houses some of Black Isle's ex-employees, made Fallout: New Vegas, with the latter being considered more in line with the ~~old games' spirit~~.

FO3 thread
NV thread

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Thanks for this. I just reinstalled Fallout 1 after not having played it for years. I managed to get all the fan patches myself, but it was a pain in the rear end. This will be useful for when I move on to 2.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fallout 2 is the greatest goddamn game, and in the absence of debates, that's pretty much all I have to say.

(doing my nth run right now, I'm stuck tying to buy the car because I forgot how annoying it was to change equipment into caps in FO2)

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Moo, moo I say!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.
I spent probably too many hours playing FO1 and FO2 as a younger man. Me and a bunch of friends signed up for CAD class in high school just to use the school's new, big pimpin' PCs to play FO2 and BF1942, despite the class itself being terrible and of no use to anyone.

Worth it.

edit: What's the status on discussion of Van Buren in this thread?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Good timing. I just started playing Fallout 2 for the first time recently.

Is Killap's Fallout 2 Restoration Patch well-regarded? I sure hope so because I don't think I can remove it without starting over. I've only got to Klamath so if it really sucks let me know before I go farther.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Good timing. I just started playing Fallout 2 for the first time recently.

Is Killap's Fallout 2 Restoration Patch well-regarded? I sure hope so because I don't think I can remove it without starting over. I've only got to Klamath so if it really sucks let me know before I go farther.

The restoration patch is considered almost required actually.

I'd like to play 1 and 2 again and maybe give tactics another shot because I never got very far in it, but my Fallout Trilogy disk doesn't work right on my nice 64bit Windows 7 laptop. Perhaps the answers lie in the bowels of Gog's forums then.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The unofficial patch is almost required, the restoration patch (which adds additional content of varying quality and veracity) is not.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Rodyle posted:

The restoration patch is considered almost required actually.

I'd like to play 1 and 2 again and maybe give tactics another shot because I never got very far in it, but my Fallout Trilogy disk doesn't work right on my nice 64bit Windows 7 laptop. Perhaps the answers lie in the bowels of Gog's forums then.

Which one do you have? I have GSP White Label(I ordered from a US company and I'm in the US, but I got the UK disc For some reason) and they installed fine on Win 7 64-bit for me. Well, 1 and 2 did, I haven't tried installing Tactics yet.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
Thanks for the link. I never got the chance to play fallout 1. I just got my computer fixed and I'm looking for a game that wont kill my system.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Which one do you have? I have GSP White Label(I ordered from a US company and I'm in the US, but I got the UK disc For some reason) and they installed fine on Win 7 64-bit for me. Well, 1 and 2 did, I haven't tried installing Tactics yet.

I'm not really sure, I just found it on a shelf one day and grabbed it because I'd always wanted to actually own FO1 and 2 after playing some pirated copies and being unable to find them otherwise. All 3 worked fine on my old vista laptop but now I get massive color corruption issues. I'm at least certain that it's a US copy though because as far as I'm aware FO2 had kids cut from it (badly) in Europe.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you've never played the original Fallout games there's still a lot of fun to be mined from them but with 15 years of interface and design advancement since then you'll probably want to play with a guide so you don't get lost exploring the huge drab brown cities trying to figure out which identical-looking NPCs have unique dialogue or what cool-looking items are dummy items and which actually play into quests. At the very least use a character-building guide at the beginning because it's pretty easy to make a gimped, unfun build.

Also, I've seen several brick-and-mortar stores like Wal-Mart carrying a 3-pack of Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics for about $20. GoG is probably a better deal and will work better on modern systems, but if you have an irrational fear of digital distribution you have that option as well.

Mr Cynicism posted:

Thanks for the link. I never got the chance to play fallout 1. I just got my computer fixed and I'm looking for a game that wont kill my system.

The low system requirements and turn-based combat make this a pretty good netbook game, really.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Farbtoner posted:

Also, I've seen several brick-and-mortar stores like Wal-Mart carrying a 3-pack of Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics for about $20. GoG is probably a better deal and will work better on modern systems, but if you have an irrational fear of digital distribution you have that option as well.

I'd suggest GoG as well. I got mine on disk since it was a $0.99 one day deal, but unless you find something like that, it's a bad idea.

HAIL LORD ZLATAN
Jan 2, 2011
Just a heads up that you can find it on Steam as well, if you're the type who prefers having everything on Steam. Pretty much the same price as GoG http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2008/

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Tactics question: When you start fighting the robots, are there any Big Guns that are useful besides the M2 .50 machine gun? I'm currently at the Super Mutant portion of the game, and I don't want to gently caress myself over because I pumped points into Big Guns and got everybody decked out in miniguns and the like when, surprise!, they don't do poo poo against robots.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

As I recall yeah, it's just the M2HB and the rocket launcher that are effective. I found that the game basically had weapon progression of Small->Big->Energy in terms of what was most effective/available. Auto shotguns with slugs can work pretty well in a pinch too!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Farbtoner posted:

If you've never played the original Fallout games there's still a lot of fun to be mined from them but with 15 years of interface and design advancement since then you'll probably want to play with a guide so you don't get lost exploring the huge drab brown cities trying to figure out which identical-looking NPCs have unique dialogue or what cool-looking items are dummy items and which actually play into quests. At the very least use a character-building guide at the beginning because it's pretty easy to make a gimped, unfun build.

The low system requirements and turn-based combat make this a pretty good netbook game, really.

Every time I've gone to Best Buy in recent months, I've seen the FO / FO2 / Tactics bundle for 15-20 dollars. Pretty good deal, in my opinion--especially for people who want a physical copy of the game.

The game definitely lends itself to being a game for Netbooks and Laptops. Small memory footprint, relatively small install size, and capable of being run on pretty much any system sold in stores for the last ten years. Plus, the slow pace of it allows it to be picked up and put down whenever you have some free time. Fo2 is pretty much a permanent fixture on my laptop because of this.

Mib88's Megamod is a pretty awesome overhaul for Fallout 2. It incorporates Killap's patch, plus a number of other fixes, both versions of the Restoration Project, and high resolution support. It's not for everyone though: It takes a few liberties and changes a few things, but for those of us who have played Fo2 a million times and want something a little different, I think it's the perfect thing. Don't get the old version that Google likes to show you, though (2.34). You'll want to look for a 2.4x version.

Xerxes17 posted:

As I recall yeah, it's just the M2HB and the rocket launcher that are effective. I found that the game basically had weapon progression of Small->Big->Energy in terms of what was most effective/available. Auto shotguns with slugs can work pretty well in a pinch too!

The biggest mistake ever is working your way to the last three or four missions of Tactics and not investing enough points into Energy Weapons. Up until a certain point, Energy Weapons are mostly useless, since Small / Big guns get the job done well enough, and ammo isn't rare as gently caress either. Then you start encountering robots and small guns are suddenly worthless.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 9, 2011

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
If you have the UK version of Fallout 2 then you need to download an additional patch to add children back into the game. The UK version has some funky problems relating to children being removed, mostly relating to disembodied dialogue and invisible children pickpocketing you. It might be worth just buying the game again on Steam or GoG, since they have the proper versions of the game that will work with all the patches and mods.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I have the GoG version of Fallout 1 and I'm trying to figure out how to run it in a window. I have the TeamX and high resolution patches installed.

traumatizedslug
Feb 24, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The biggest mistake ever is working your way to the last three or four missions of Tactics and not investing enough points into Energy Weapons. Up until a certain point, Energy Weapons are mostly useless, since Small / Big guns get the job done well enough, and ammo isn't rare as gently caress either. Then you start encountering robots and small guns are suddenly worthless.

Gauss weaponry is small guns and still holds up pretty well in shredding robots IIRC. Shotguns also get EMP shells which also works great.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Xerxes17 posted:

The gauss minigun fucks up everything, as does the Pancor Jackhammer with appropriate ammunition.

I say Van Buren discussion is fine, I still mourn the loss of it. A lot of it got reincorporated into New Vegas though so it could stray off topic.

Up yours and have a bullet breakfast, rear end in a top hat. :black101:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I hope they manage to find a way to recycle Van Buren's plot regarding ODYSSEUS and the Tibbets Prison into another Fallout game. Tricking an AI into thinking there's a West Coast-wide outbreak of a deadly disease so the bad guy can get access to nukes was a pretty neat idea.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I'm adding everything you guys are posting to the OP, I guess it's pretty good now!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always dickpunch Bishop after banging his wife and his daughter. It's a compulsion. And when New Vegas referenced me banging Bishop's daughter I felt like I had come home.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I always dickpunch Bishop after banging his wife and his daughter. It's a compulsion. And when New Vegas referenced me banging Bishop's daughter I felt like I had come home.

Haha, where is this referenced in New Vegas? God drat, I always had to skip sleeping with them because I could never fight/sneak my way back downstairs afterwards. It was always better to go for his wife though, since she mumbled the safe combination in her sleep while his daughter just had a chance to give you a Jet addiction.

^^^
If that sentence doesn't convince you that Fallout 2 is the best game ever then nothing will.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Category Fun! posted:

Haha, where is this referenced in New Vegas? God drat, I always had to skip sleeping with them because I could never fight/sneak my way back downstairs afterwards. It was always better to go for his wife though, since she mumbled the safe combination in her sleep while his daughter just had a chance to give you a Jet addiction.

I don't remember his name, but there's a singer in the hotel at Novac who you can talk to about New Reno. He mentions some guy getting Bishop's daughter pregnant.

Category Fun! posted:

If that sentence doesn't convince you that Fallout 2 is the best game ever then nothing will.

There's also arm-wrestling the super mutant in Broken Hills. If you win, you get a free Power Fist. If you lose, the screen fades to black and you wake up the next morning with a ball gag in your inventory.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

The best reference New Vegas makes, however, is when Cannibal Johnson talks about this guy :bravo:

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I really want to love the old fallout games and I try to play them a lot, but I always run into the same problem: I miss everything constantly and when I do hit it takes forever to kill, while the enemy uses my face to scrape the radioactive dirt from its boot. If I dare play fallout 2 on anything but easy, I get shredded by the time I get to the toxic caves, and it's just a painful mess all the way there.

Fallout Tactics just infuriates me cause I watch videos on youtube (cause there is a lack of any helpful guides on how not to suck balls at the game) to try and understand what I am doing wrong, and all I see are people running in, somehow not getting immediately gunned down (or if they do get hit they only take a scratch rather than the bloody mess death I'm usually treated to) and shooting a bad guy once with a hunting rifle of all things, killing them instantly. All the while they fumble around like they are playing drunk. Oh I am just so terrible at these games, and random number generators never liked me, but I can't stop wasting hours on them.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't remember his name, but there's a singer in the hotel at Novac who you can talk to about New Reno. He mentions some guy getting Bishop's daughter pregnant.

There's also arm-wrestling the super mutant in Broken Hills. If you win, you get a free Power Fist. If you lose, the screen fades to black and you wake up the next morning with a ball gag in your inventory.

I'll need to look out for that guy on my next playthrough.

VisAbsoluta posted:

The best reference New Vegas makes, however, is when Cannibal Johnson talks about this guy :bravo:

I love that guy. He's the best.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Arcanum probably deserves a passing mention in the OP, since its basically a Fallout game (being made by the same people and all).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Broose posted:

I really want to love the old fallout games and I try to play them a lot, but I always run into the same problem: I miss everything constantly and when I do hit it takes forever to kill, while the enemy uses my face to scrape the radioactive dirt from its boot. If I dare play fallout 2 on anything but easy, I get shredded by the time I get to the toxic caves, and it's just a painful mess all the way there.

What I usually do is build a character with at least 8 AP and a reasonably high movement sequence (so that the enemy doesn't always get the first turn in combat.) For the first few levels, you should do something I call, "STING and MOVE!" Get yourself into positions where you can get the attention of individual enemies and lure them away from the group (this is especially true of Geckos.) Then, jab them once or twice, but leave 3-4 AP so that you can move away from them. If you do it right, they'll waste their turn closing in on you, but won't have enough AP to strike. Even if they DO have enough AP, they'll only be able to attack once.

Repeat this until you build your character up a bit. Occasionally, try a targeted shot for their eyes or their dick. If you're lucky, you can lay them out on the ground for a couple of turns, defenseless while you wail on them with everything you have.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Broose posted:

Fallout Tactics just infuriates me cause I watch videos on youtube (cause there is a lack of any helpful guides on how not to suck balls at the game) to try and understand what I am doing wrong, and all I see are people running in, somehow not getting immediately gunned down (or if they do get hit they only take a scratch rather than the bloody mess death I'm usually treated to) and shooting a bad guy once with a hunting rifle of all things, killing them instantly. All the while they fumble around like they are playing drunk. Oh I am just so terrible at these games, and random number generators never liked me, but I can't stop wasting hours on them.

Those people probably minmax like mad, tagging small guns and pumping agility/perception through the roof so they're competent at level 1 and godlike past level 15.

This is not the Fallout experience. What you posted is much more the Fallout experience. The teeth-gnashingly difficult kind.

Fallout IS limping away from a Raider ambush in the desert, Ian's corpse mouldering behind you, sticking yourself with the single looted stimpack so you can limp into the Hub over the next 2 days and spend your last 20 caps on a marginally clean doss to heal up a bit more for the night. 145 days left to save the Vault.

Combat is SUPPOSED to be hard, the providence of motherfuckers much saltier and tougher than your pasty Vaultborn rear end. Sure, maybe you'll beg borrow and steal enough equipment to make up the difference in time, or turn in enough quests the "smart" way to get your weapon skill of choice in spitting distance of +100% and then it's their turn to run but until that distant goddamned day when you own more than the tattered leather jacket off your back? Stick to kiting vermin with a 10mm JHP, or talking/sneaking your way out of tough situations because gently caress if you're capable of fighting someone who can fight back.

This is gently caress-boring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm9wRtl2k38

This is Fallout 1: http://lparchive.org/Fallout/Update%206/

In fact, just read the Fallout 1/2 LPs on lparchive for a really good walkthrough of the game, albeit a much much more gimmicky one for Fallout 2 (which is not to say its anything other than hilarious).

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

What I usually do is build a character with at least 8 AP and a reasonably high movement sequence (so that the enemy doesn't always get the first turn in combat.) For the first few levels, you should do something I call, "STING and MOVE!" Get yourself into positions where you can get the attention of individual enemies and lure them away from the group (this is especially true of Geckos.) Then, jab them once or twice, but leave 3-4 AP so that you can move away from them. If you do it right, they'll waste their turn closing in on you, but won't have enough AP to strike. Even if they DO have enough AP, they'll only be able to attack once.

Repeat this until you build your character up a bit. Occasionally, try a targeted shot for their eyes or their dick. If you're lucky, you can lay them out on the ground for a couple of turns, defenseless while you wail on them with everything you have.

Having said my bit, though, if you're dead set on making your shooty dude "work" from the very beginning, this is how you do it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah, desperately praying for critical hits at the eyes with my lovely pistol was how I got through the Toxic Caves in FO2 at level 2.

Also take Fast Shot + Bonus Rate Of Fire :unsmigghh:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I didn't know the original games are on Steam. Thanks for the heads-up!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Arcanum probably deserves a passing mention in the OP, since its basically a Fallout game (being made by the same people and all).

Without derailing too much it's like playing fallout: Steam and magic edition, but with much worse combat.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Willie Tomg posted:

Counter-point: Fallout 1+2's combat is just Right Click => Target Eyes over and over for 20 hours, maybe occasionally setting up in a doorway to kill bad guys as they march through one by one. Fallout has a lot going for it but the combat isn't fun or strategic and the difficulty comes from terrible under-the-hood design decisions like critical hits.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Farbtoner posted:

Counter-point: Fallout 1+2's combat is just Right Click => Target Eyes over and over for 20 hours, maybe occasionally setting up in a doorway to kill bad guys as they march through one by one. Fallout has a lot going for it but the combat isn't fun or strategic and the difficulty comes from terrible under-the-hood design decisions like critical hits.

You don't have to do that though. The game's so forgiving of different play styles that you can happily run around kicking people in the dick and sticking grenades in their pants.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Farbtoner posted:

Sure, that's how it is on your first playthrough when you are just trying to stay alive. On subsequent plays you do different characters. Like the guy who goes full auto on SMGs and tosses frags, or the guy who uses flamethrowers.

Change it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Both games start off a bit slow, but really hit their stride midway, FO1 around the Glow, FO2 around Vault 8. They're worth the effort, though the interface hasn't aged well at all. FO2 is the more overtly comedic of the two, sometimes to a fault, while FO1 does a much better job of conveying the horrors of the wasteland. Everyone owes it to themselves to at least give these games a try.

Fallout Tactics is based around the worst thing in the early FO games, combat, isn't canon, and should not be spoken about.

There is so much stuff that has stuck with me over the years that has no good reason to stick. President Tandy blow up doll, "Bite me! This is Jack!", the vault 8 archives, Bakersfield, CA aka Vault 12, the entirety of The Glow, the patient fed nothing but psycho and buffout, the hidden talking head in the Gecko powerplant, "There are two kinds of people in this world: those with guns, and those who dig", "Me, Frank Hoooooorrigan", this intro, Wooz's joke and his winning attitude, Expert Excrement Expeditor, Hubologists, and Shadow-who-Walks' ball gag. The entirety of New Reno is pretty fantastic. Great games.

• Locked thread