Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

frogg posted:

Friends, my nether portal does not work. It catches on fire when I try to spark it with flint. What am I doing wrong? :what: My friend and I built a pretty cool mountain fortress and I was going to have that portal be in my bedroom but it doesn't work! Now it's just a really cool looking window.

You probably don't have enough clearance behind it. I tried to be a badass and carve a portal into an existing solidified lump of lava, but it wouldn't work unless I had a few blocks of empty space behind the portal section. If you've got a few blocks clearance in every direction, and still no dice, then I'm not sure what's going on.

Also, if you're on a server, you need to enable the Nether in the server preferences somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hey, poking for a favour - does anyone have or know of an Akliz server that I can spend a little while playing around on and tackling bad guys and all on? My mates are thinking of hosting with them but I'm wondering how bad the transpacific latency will be.

SMP
May 5, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Hey, poking for a favour - does anyone have or know of an Akliz server that I can spend a little while playing around on and tackling bad guys and all on? My mates are thinking of hosting with them but I'm wondering how bad the transpacific latency will be.

Hey dude, add me on steam and I can put up a test server for ya. ID is in the profile. Or hop on #yogboxchat @ synirc.net

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Nice new thread, I hope people post more tales of their adventures here again, that was my favourite part of the old thread.

Anyways, I got bored and stopped playing Minecraft a few months ago, then this weekend I saw the enormous fort my nephew built, complete with an enormous redstone/piston powered door and unintentionally hilarious 'lock down' alarm system. I am addicted once again.

I hope 1.8 comes with an option for limited size island maps, I know Notch mentioned it was in his wishlist a while ago but it seems to have dropped off his radar.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

SMP posted:

Hey dude, add me on steam and I can put up a test server for ya. ID is in the profile. Or hop on #yogboxchat @ synirc.net

Can I get in on this too? Heh. I'll add you on Steam as well if you don't mind.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Oggumogoggum posted:

Can I get in on this too? Heh. I'll add you on Steam as well if you don't mind.

Sure! It may have to wait till this evening (EST) though.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Only put torches on the left hand walls, then follow with torches on the right to find the way out. That, or write down the coordinates of your home, and just tunnel out and walk overground following the coords back.

What I do is more labor-intensive, but makes for a much nicer-looking cave (and is easier if you accidentally break into the cave from above and lose your bearing):

Dig a path and use cobblestone (or wood, not recommended near lava though) wherever you go. When you reach a dead end, backtrack to the entrance (using your nifty new cobble path!) and build a cobblestone arch with the torches on the "out" side.

At intersections or whatnot, build a 2 or 3 high cobble pillar on the side of the cobble path that leads out and put torches all over it so you can see it from a distance.

Also, signs never hurt. "This way out ---->" is about as unambiguous as it gets.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I've just gotten back into minecraft a bit, and I'm liking the new changes that Notch made but my client keeps... locking up, kinda? It starts only drawing one frame every few seconds but the game's going on the whole time -- I can hear stuff happening (hitting blocks, being eaten by zombies, etc). Hitting F11 to go fullscreen/windowed will either fix it or stick Minecraft in a black screen. Any ideas how to fix this or what's doing it?

Also, lightning is kinda frustrating. It seems like there's always thunderstorms on my map and one structure of mine has already burnt down. Makes me wanna never build with wood never ever no.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SMP posted:

Shiny. I'll bug you on SynIRC. Although odds are this evening EST I'll be asleep, what with Australia. I'll get you eventually.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

SMP posted:

Sure! It may have to wait till this evening (EST) though.

No worries. I'm at work all day anyway. No rush.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Boat posted:

You probably don't have enough clearance behind it. I tried to be a badass and carve a portal into an existing solidified lump of lava, but it wouldn't work unless I had a few blocks of empty space behind the portal section. If you've got a few blocks clearance in every direction, and still no dice, then I'm not sure what's going on.

Portals don't need clearance, I've been building them into walls and adding decorative obsidian fringes to them for ages. (Although I should probably double-check that by adding fringes before lighting one.)

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
So Notch just (did something?) to the bedrock at the bottom of maps.

https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/101319265164079104

Hope he made it a bit thinner.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Portals don't need clearance, I've been building them into walls and adding decorative obsidian fringes to them for ages. (Although I should probably double-check that by adding fringes before lighting one.)

Surrounding obsidian before lighting can mess with it, I know that. Other materials don't matter.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Surrounding obsidian before lighting can mess with it, I know that. Other materials don't matter.

Yeah, in my case it was kind of grafted halfway into a lump of obsidian, so that would probably do it.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Sorry if this has been done to death, I've been out of the loop for a long while, but I'm wondering if NOW 1.6.6 works with the latest version of Minecraft.

DeliriousDelight
Feb 22, 2011

"Let's spend $90 for a robo-puppy who will follow me and play with me and love me forever!"

The dog just walks around and sleeps all day. It won't even play fetch. What kind of dog won't play fetch?
Okay, I have a major problem that I'm hoping to get help with. Yesterday I am able to play Minecraft normally. Today however, suddenly gives me the "Bad Video Card Drivers!" error right after I log in. Specifically it's telling me it can't find the accelerated OpenGL. My drivers are up to date according to my computer, and nothing's changed between yesterday and today. I can't even grab the error report because Windows automatically closes the program.

For reference, I have an HP Pavilion dv6, Windows 7 64-bit, Intel Core 2 Duo processor, and an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530 graphics card (the one that came with the laptop).

I'd appreciate any help I can get at this point. :(

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

DeliriousDelight posted:

Okay, I have a major problem that I'm hoping to get help with. Yesterday I am able to play Minecraft normally. Today however, suddenly gives me the "Bad Video Card Drivers!" error right after I log in. Specifically it's telling me it can't find the accelerated OpenGL. My drivers are up to date according to my computer, and nothing's changed between yesterday and today. I can't even grab the error report because Windows automatically closes the program.

For reference, I have an HP Pavilion dv6, Windows 7 64-bit, Intel Core 2 Duo processor, and an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530 graphics card (the one that came with the laptop).

c/p from the rather informative OP of the Zeppelin mod:

Zeppelin dude posted:

create the following batch file file (or put it in your start->run)

java -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -cp "%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\minecraft.jar;%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\jinput.jar;%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\lwjgl.jar;%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\lwjgl_util.jar" -Djava.library.path="%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\natives" net.minecraft.client.Minecraft

You should now get a command prompt with all the java messages, and minecraft should start. When it crashes, this window should have your stacktrace.

That should at least give you the error report to work with.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

treat posted:

Sorry if this has been done to death, I've been out of the loop for a long while, but I'm wondering if NOW 1.6.6 works with the latest version of Minecraft.

No, it won't. Mods are version specific. Now That's What I Call Minecraft had some drama and is now the Yogbox. See the modding thread for details.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Thanks, I wasn't aware Yogbox (or the modding thread) existed.

DeliriousDelight
Feb 22, 2011

"Let's spend $90 for a robo-puppy who will follow me and play with me and love me forever!"

The dog just walks around and sleeps all day. It won't even play fetch. What kind of dog won't play fetch?

Boat posted:

That should at least give you the error report to work with.

It wouldn't let me use it through the Run prompt (a command window would open and close immediately). Running it through cmd itself gives me this:

cmd posted:

16 achievements
151 recipes
org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Pixel format not accelerated
at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.nChoosePixelFormat(Native Method)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.choosePixelFormat(WindowsPeerInfo.ja
va:52)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsDisplay.createWindow(WindowsDisplay.java:185)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.createWindow(Display.java:311)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:856)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:784)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:765)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(SourceFile:262)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:716)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Pixel format not accelerated
at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.nChoosePixelFormat(Native Method)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.choosePixelFormat(WindowsPeerInfo.ja
va:52)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsDisplay.createWindow(WindowsDisplay.java:185)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.createWindow(Display.java:311)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:856)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:784)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:765)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(SourceFile:294)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:716)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I don't know if that helps in any way.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

treat posted:

Thanks, I wasn't aware Yogbox (or the modding thread) existed.

Perhaps you should read the OP of threads then.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

DeliriousDelight posted:

I think the HP dv6 has switchable graphics, just in case, have you tried both the ATI Radeon and the integrated Intel ?

DeliriousDelight
Feb 22, 2011

pylb posted:

I think the HP dv6 has switchable graphics, just in case, have you tried both the ATI Radeon and the integrated Intel ?

I wasn't even aware that I had anything other than the ATI; nothing else is listed on my computer's device manager. How do I go about switching the graphics?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I hope this is the right thread for my question:

I have this server, which up until somewhere in July worked magnificently.
But it seems like a couple of chunks became corrupt or something. Whenever someone tries to modify the chunks by building or similar, the server becomes laggy, uses too much CPU and in the end shuts down. I have no idea how I can correct this.

Now I'm toying with the idea of starting from scratch. But is there a program or something that I can use to prevent a similar situation arising? Or is there a program that can remove a chunk and force Minecraft to regenerate it? MCEdit didn't seem to have that option.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

Iacen posted:

I hope this is the right thread for my question:

I have this server, which up until somewhere in July worked magnificently.
But it seems like a couple of chunks became corrupt or something. Whenever someone tries to modify the chunks by building or similar, the server becomes laggy, uses too much CPU and in the end shuts down. I have no idea how I can correct this.

Now I'm toying with the idea of starting from scratch. But is there a program or something that I can use to prevent a similar situation arising? Or is there a program that can remove a chunk and force Minecraft to regenerate it? MCEdit didn't seem to have that option.

This was in a magazine which notch hinted to in a hat picture he posted on twitter.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

DeliriousDelight posted:

I wasn't even aware that I had anything other than the ATI; nothing else is listed on my computer's device manager. How do I go about switching the graphics?

(I have a HP Envy 14, so it might not be the same)
Right-click on desktop, and it's the second option in my context menu (I'm not using an english language version, so I'm not sure on the wording; something like "configure switchable graphics").
By default, it uses the Intel chip if I'm running off the battery and the discrete card when it's connected. Installing the official Catalyst drivers disables the switchable graphics though, you need to use HP ones (rarely updated) or modded ones.

Honestly I'm not sure it would change anything, I can run Minecraft with both.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

hogofwar posted:

This was in a magazine which notch hinted to in a hat picture he posted on twitter.

I'm really confused by what you said, and how it was a response to the post you quoted, so I tried scanning that with a cell phone barcode reader and felt lonely and scared. What?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9osaA68xMts

This is a really neat idea.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

glug posted:

I'm really confused by what you said, and how it was a response to the post you quoted, so I tried scanning that with a cell phone barcode reader and felt lonely and scared. What?

Sorry, what I meant was:

-Notch Posted a tweet with a link to an image of a hat on it.

-People found that the hat image contained (hidden) in it a name and issue to a magazine

-In the magazine on page 43 (The page before notch's interview) the whole page contained the image I posted.

-The image is about Minecraft as it has the stone background.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
OK, that makes sense now, even though I don't really get the image, but it doesn't make sense as a reply to someone with problems with bad chunks on their SMP server?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's just Notch doing dumb ARG crap with regards to the Endermen because he based them off of GBS' Slenderman meme. Running into the ground something that's already been pulped for months now.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
He didn't base them off of Slenderman for anything but the name. He named them that only because someone pointed out the similarity in a reddit thread. If I'm not mistaken, he didn't even know it existed before people told him.

And the Slenderman/Marble Hornets stuff has nothing to do with an ARG past what some idiot named the first thread for it over here.

You're pretty much wrong in every way about that, Zorak.

e: well, past the image being an ARG thing. Which is neat.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I didn't even call the Slenderman poo poo an ARG, I called it a meme so you're assuming that as part of its nature way to go!!

And it's kind of clear he's doing dumb OH SPOOKY MOBS ARE MESSING WITH MY COMPUTER DERP DERP poo poo on twitter which is quite possibly the dullest thing imaginable.

e: OH NO GUYS DRACULA IS HAUNTING MY POSTS WATCH OUT GUYS AAAAAUGH

Zorak fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 10, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Yogs did it way better with Israphel.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

flatluigi posted:

That is seriously one of the most awesome things I've seen in days.

triad
Jan 6, 2007

YOU KNEADED SOMEONE TO BLAME, SO YOU CRUST IT ON ME

flatluigi posted:

I'm absolutely making one of these when I get home, super cool

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

hogofwar posted:

Looks like a Notch attempt and creating a maze generation algorithm.

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn
Here is a picture of twelve dogs in a bookstore

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Celebrity DJ? Deadmau5 just got himself a creeper tattoo http://twitter.com/#!/deadmau5/status/101211749520392192/photo/1

Has anyone else seen any regrettable Minecraft tattoos? (hint: all Minecraft tattoos are regrettable)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buy a hotdog!
Oct 24, 2010
I'm trying to set up a new server and for some reason I can't get any servers to run anymore, even though I've made several in the past. Making a simple vanilla server with minecraft_server.exe doesn't work because nothing happens when I open it. Running a minecraft_server.jar with a .bat file gives me this:

code:
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at net.minecraft.server.StatisticCollector.<clinit>(SourceFile:5)
        at net.minecraft.server.StatisticList.<clinit>(SourceFile:31)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.main(MinecraftServer.java:489)
        at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.Main.main(Main.java:123)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.util.Properties$LineReader.readLine(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.Properties.load0(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.Properties.load(Unknown Source)
        at net.minecraft.server.StatisticStorage.<init>(SourceFile:17)
        at net.minecraft.server.StatisticStorage.<clinit>(SourceFile:8)
        ... 4 more
Press any key to continue . . .
I've tried re installing Java and tried both available versions (1.6 and 1.7). Both versions gave me the same results.