Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Enzer posted:

They set it up so that the villager mob detects "houses" (they look for doors walls and a roof) and then depending on the number of them they start multiplying, this is kind of neat since you can make cities and they will populate them for you.

What if I want to kill all the squid freaks and live in the houses they built without them popping back up? Though there would be some pleasure in clearing out an infestation if they did decide to respawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself

Gentwise posted:

Also is it possible to make ramps in the engine? Like can you orient the little building grid vertically to carve a hole in a wall or extrude something horizontally, or is that not in yet? Just wondering.

Willie Trombone posted:

I'm just curious, but are surfaces in your engine fundamentally locked to being only either vertical or horizontal?

I went away and tinkered for a while, and now I've changed my answer to these questions.

Slopes! :dance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_cmes43YwI

Please ignore the lack of lighting and terrain in this video.

I now have the gameplay side of this game fully planned out and cannot wait to move into that phase. I do plan on charging for the game one day, but I've promised myself I won't charge a cent until it moves beyond the 'creative' mode it currently is and the actual game starts showing itself. I've got a few more bullet points to tick off on my todo list before I can being the GOONTEST (thread included).

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

DuFfY posted:

I went away and tinkered for a while, and now I've changed my answer to these questions.

Slopes! :dance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_cmes43YwI

Please ignore the lack of lighting and terrain in this video.

I now have the gameplay side of this game fully planned out and cannot wait to move into that phase. I do plan on charging for the game one day, but I've promised myself I won't charge a cent until it moves beyond the 'creative' mode it currently is and the actual game starts showing itself. I've got a few more bullet points to tick off on my todo list before I can being the GOONTEST (thread included).

Sweet! May I ask how you store world data? Will it grow the more you modify the world or stay more or less constant (as a pure array of block id's as in minecraft / my lil clone)?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
What kind of gameplay do you have planned?
I mean, it's all right if you don't want to get too specific for fear of promising more than you can deliver or building our hopes up too much, but surely you can at least tell us the focus of the gameplay.

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
It is not a voxel engine - storage requirements increase as world complexity does, but even the most complex of structures do not add too much overhead. I was running a dedicated server for an hour with a couple of friends with full world generation enabled, the server's memory usage peaked at 8 MB which I was happy about. The cients were using about 1.5x this due to some extra render data I store. Network-wise, the clients are capable of generating the world from the server's seed and any deltas are sent down the pipe. This means exploring the world on a server doesn't tax the network too much.

Gameplay wise, the basics are:

• Spawn point is marked by an object/structure/something which marks your safe zone, and is essentially the middle of the world. This area is safe. The grass is green, there are flowers and animals all around.
  • As you travel out into the world, the grass turns dark, clouds fill the sky, the trees turn evil and monsters are loose.
  • Sprawling underground temples are found out in this wilderness. The further from spawn the temple is, the harder it will be to conquer. They will be around 5 to 10 levels deep, and each floor will be a randomly generated maze like interior. A roguelike minecraftlike.
  • Each temple will have loot to find and monsters to kill. The monsters will be randomly generated (maybe 3 different types per temple), and the bottom floor will involve a boss fight. The boss will share the abilities of the monsters encountered in the temple.
  • Defeat the boss, get the BIG LOOT, and the surrounding lands are now cleansed and green again. The creative-minded players can now expand their empire safely.
  • Items/weapons will also be randomly generated. As well as different strengths/weaknesses, the items can have passive abilities. The engine handles different movement types - ie, Reverse gravity boots, a tunic that makes you giant or small.

I've got a pretty solid and realistic idea for what I want out of version 1. I've got a second notepad dedicated to feature creep and countless other ideas, but I suppose I've got to be realistic.

Motivation - I don't plan on charging a cent until the gameplay is fleshed out.

DuFfY fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 27, 2012

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I really like the sound of that. Enough of a point of difference from MC (especially since you're getting away from the pure block model) but still with a nice mix of building, exploring, and fighting poo poo.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

DuFfY posted:

It is not a voxel engine - storage requirements increase as world complexity does, but even the most complex of structures do not add too much overhead. I was running a dedicated server for an hour with a couple of friends with full world generation enabled, the server's memory usage peaked at 8 MB which I was happy about. The cients were using about 1.5x this due to some extra render data I store. Network-wise, the clients are capable of generating the world from the server's seed and any deltas are sent down the pipe. This means exploring the world on a server doesn't tax the network too much.

• Spawn point is marked by an object/structure/something which marks your safe zone, and is essentially the middle of the world. This area is safe. The grass is green, there are flowers and animals all around.
  • As you travel out into the world, the grass turns dark, clouds fill the sky, the trees turn evil and monsters are loose.
  • Sprawling underground temples are found out in this wilderness. The further from spawn the temple is, the harder it will be to conquer. They will be around 5 to 10 levels deep, and each floor will be a randomly generated maze like interior. A roguelike minecraftlike.
  • Each temple will have loot to find and monsters to kill. The monsters will be randomly generated (maybe 3 different types per temple), and the bottom floor will involve a boss fight. The boss will share the abilities of the monsters encountered in the temple.
  • Defeat the boss, get the BIG LOOT, and the surrounding lands are now cleansed and green again. The creative-minded players can now expand their empire safely.
  • Items/weapons will also be randomly generated. As well as different strengths/weaknesses, the items can have passive abilities. The engine handles different movement types - ie, Reverse gravity boots, a tunic that makes you giant or small.

I've got a pretty solid and realistic idea for what I want out of version 1. I've got a second notepad dedicated to feature creep and countless other ideas, but I suppose I've got to be realistic.

Wow, such a big difference in memory usage. My 512^3 * sizeof(int) data structure is... big. I'm gonna make it smarter soon to only load what is needed chunk-wise but still, in a multiplayer setting where people are all over the place it will require alot of memory.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bicehunter posted:

Wow, such a big difference in memory usage. My 512^3 * sizeof(int) data structure is... big. I'm gonna make it smarter soon to only load what is needed chunk-wise but still, in a multiplayer setting where people are all over the place it will require alot of memory.

Wait, you just have a huge multidimensional array storing your voxel data? Why not an oct tree? Especially with all that contiguous blocking you have.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

:wooper: PAINTERLY PACK UPDATE :wooper:

AS ALWAYS: CLEAR CACHE AND FORCE-REFRESH THE PAGE BEFORE TRYING TO MAKE A PACK AFTER EACH PATCH, OR YOU WILL GET ERRORS/MESSED UP THUMBNAILS.

As is the custom, everyone here gets the skinny first.
I've updated everything to 1.2 compliance, since the patch is supposed to hit live this week sometime, and also added/expanded several existing options, as well as added some custom biome/lighting overrides for anyone who uses MCPatcher.

Here's a preview of most of the new stuff:

Some stuff to expect this time around:
- Vase variant for cauldrons.
- Additional Zekey-style dyed cloth block option with varying patterns.
- "Wave" and "Burst" booster rail options for all track types.
- Biome version of the RPG grass.
- Candy jellybean option for redstone ore to match jellybean redstone wire.
- Ornate bow option in 3 styles.
- Cherry option to replace apples.
- All existing lightmaps updated to MCPatcher compatibility by Brae53.
- Giant brick (by Mug of Bro), aged brick, and rough stone and mortar brick options.
- Rough stone and large stone options for bricks. Separated bricks from brick icon options.
- Added corn crops, and several new types of crop seeds/corn-based wheat and bread.
- Separated seeds, bread and wheat from crop choices, added several existing seeds/food items to these options.
- Added alchemy table GUI without bottles.
- Added 9 new biome options: seasonal, harvest, golden harvest, surreal, emerald, dark emerald, green swamp, brown swamp, and wasteland.
- Added option to include MCPatcher files for swamp biome, swamp grass, pine trees and birch trees.
- Added machete graphic to shears options.
- Added bone torches to torch options.
- Added soul sand skulls options to end stone options.
- Added several wooden trellis options to metal fence options.
- Added grey nether stone options to cobblestone, mossy cobblestone, and cracked cobblestone.
- 11 new EXP potion options.
- 31 new lamp options.
- 6 new sapling options.
- 8 new tree bark options, including jungle tree bark and several monster barks.
- 17 new jungle-themed leaf options.
- 15 cat options: Roamin, orange tabby, grey tabby, white, black, tuxedo, mottled, calico, tortoiseshell, tiger, siamese, ocelot, revolver ocelot, Johnny Cat, and meowshroom.
- 12 golem options: light and dark stone golems in plain, red flower and yellow flower, laputa golems in new, aged and overgrown, iron golems in new and classic style, and a redstone-powered robot.

I don't have preview images for the cats or golems yet - I'll work to get those up soon. Grab it at the usual place, and as always, thanks for your continuing support. I hope everyone likes the latest round of stuff! :)

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
I'm compressing world data packets with zlib, that could help a bit too. Depending on how its structured it could compress down quite nicely.

I just checked out your latest vids Bicehunter, I'm liking the elevators. I'm picturing automated mining paths where resources are pulled from a reservoir and flow along a series of elevator gravity tube things (sideways too!) back to your house and into a storage capsule. Kind of like the Aperture Science Excursion Funnel.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Wait, you just have a huge multidimensional array storing your voxel data? Why not an oct tree? Especially with all that contiguous blocking you have.

Its a octtree backed by a "simple array". Finding neighbours between the individual blocks between the leafs of the octtree (the octtree is not down to single block level, that would cost to much and run slow as hell) is much faster when operating on an array index (+1, -1, -w +w, -w*h +w*h) (its not multidimensional, it is 1d, w*h*d). The octtree is used for frustum culling to decide what leafs are rendered or not, the leafs are also used to decide occlusion culling, this will bubble up in the octtree to remove large branches for next frame, these leafs will only be rendered again for occlusion culling if they passed the frustum culling check.

The time it will need to evaluate and create the model for an oct-tree where it has variable size of blocks (ie, a 2*2*2 meter stone block is stored as a oct-tree entry with that size, not 8 blocks in an array) and also finding neighbours for recalc, removal etc etc is going to make things crawl when the complexity is large enough.. thats what I think atleast. Maybe I will try it out some day.

Nothing with this engine is set in stone, it is still what I would call experimental. But trying to optimize to much before moving on will just result in it never getting anywhere. Using memory is not a bad thing as long as it is within resonable levels.

But, if you have ideas and want to share them, please do, I'm not stuborn :P Can't promise I'll try it out tho if it requires to much tinkering with the current code base.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

kas posted:

:wooper: PAINTERLY PACK UPDATE :wooper:

I really dig those bricks. I'm really looking forward to seeing the stuff live.
Speaking of, kas, do you know what Jeb was talking about on his Twitter, regarding:

"A few months ago I said F3+T reloads textures... Well, it doesn't work nicely with zips, so finally I added a folder-based tex pack reader"

Have the file structure changed, like needing them to be un-zipped or?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DuFfY posted:

Awesome stuff

I can't wait to play this. I really, really can't, this sounds incredible.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

DuFfY posted:

If it can run on my PoS laptop or MacBook Pro, I'm giving you money. It sounds great. The same thing goes to Bicehunter.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Are there any good Minecraft server hosts? I have somewhere between four and ten friends who want to play on a server together but we don't have an extra box to run as a server as far as I know.

Looknig through some threads on Micecraft hosting, I see a lot of providers but it's hard to know if any are legit.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

entris posted:

Are there any good Minecraft server hosts? I have somewhere between four and ten friends who want to play on a server together but we don't have an extra box to run as a server as far as I know.

Looknig through some threads on Micecraft hosting, I see a lot of providers but it's hard to know if any are legit.

All the ones in the OP are great, but I like akliz.net the best.

DuFfY, I have always wanted minecraft to get harder the further you got from spawn, so your game looks amazing and cannot wait till a public test release.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I know Akliz is goon-run, in fact I think it is run by SMP (of the SMP texture pack fame) and the name gets thrown around quite frequently. Not sure if it's (still) good/still run by him.

e: reload before posting! :eng101:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

lordfrikk posted:

I know Akliz is goon-run, in fact I think it is run by SMP (of the SMP texture pack fame) and the name gets thrown around quite frequently. Not sure if it's (still) good/still run by him.

e: reload before posting! :eng101:
Looks like he's still involved.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

It's not goon-run, as far as I know, but I'm currently playing on a server hosted by mpserv, they used to be MCServ or something like that.

http://www.mpserv.net/

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I went ahead and signed up with minehost.org, since that's what Wilson uses and I have played on his server.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm somewhat new to Minecraft so I was wondering if someone could quickly explain how updates work. The current release version of Minecraft is 1.1 but I see the beta is at 1.8 and the future release version is going to be version 1.2? So Mojang has developed the game up to 1.8 but still haven't even released 1.2 yet? Am I on the right track?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Orange_Lazarus posted:

I'm somewhat new to Minecraft so I was wondering if someone could quickly explain how updates work. The current release version of Minecraft is 1.1 but I see the beta is at 1.8 and the future release version is going to be version 1.2? So Mojang has developed the game up to 1.8 but still haven't even released 1.2 yet? Am I on the right track?

Not at all. Minecraft was in alpha/beta up until the "release" at Minecon. It got to 1.8 in beta (and 1.9r5 in pre-release snapshots) before getting reset back to 1.0 for release.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Orange_Lazarus posted:

:engleft: A History Of Minecraft Version Numbering

In Minecraft Classic, the versions were numbered X.Y.Z_bugfix until version 0.0.23_a, when notch decided it was to much of a hassle and just called the next version 0.24. When Survival was initally being developed, it went from versions 0.25 - 0.29 privately, and the final free release, still playable on the website was 0.30. Paid versions of Minecraft started as 0.31, before becoming Minecraft Indev and Infdev, which did not have a version number. When Minecraft Alpha was released, it was Minecraft Alpha 1.X.Y_bugfix from 1.0.0 until 1.2.6, then Beta started, restarting at Minecraft Beta 1.0, and continuing until the final version of beta at 1.8.1. When Minecraft was "released", the beta tag was removed, and version numbering restarted at Minecraft 1.0. Around this time, prerelease versions started coming out, first as Minecraft 1.X prerelease Y and later as the current system of Minecraft yywxxa where yy is the year, xx is the week, and a is the current version (ex. 11w50c would be the third release of the fiftieth week of 2011.)

To answer your question, Minecraft Beta 1.8 is older and has less stuff as Minecraft 1.1. (Not to be confused with Beta 1.1, Alpha 1.1 or Classic 0.0.11 :notch:)

Why do I know so much about this. :eng99:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

tinaun posted:

...would be my question! :eng101: I've followed Minecraft since late alpha but this is a bit... :stare:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

DuFfY posted:

This is awesome. A great compromise between building and adventuring- you can build in safe places and go off adventuring in the wilderness.

Looking forward to this a lot. All it needs is some really compelling terrain generation (stuff like dramatic mountains and vast oceans) and it'll pretty much be perfect.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
If you're going to do an adventure thing, please don't make the difficulty based on waiting, grinding, and mashing the mouse button.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

tinaun posted:

:engleft: A History Of Minecraft Version Numbering

In Minecraft Classic, the versions were numbered X.Y.Z_bugfix until version 0.0.23_a, when notch decided it was to much of a hassle and just called the next version 0.24. When Survival was initally being developed, it went from versions 0.25 - 0.29 privately, and the final free release, still playable on the website was 0.30. Paid versions of Minecraft started as 0.31, before becoming Minecraft Indev and Infdev, which did not have a version number. When Minecraft Alpha was released, it was Minecraft Alpha 1.X.Y_bugfix from 1.0.0 until 1.2.6, then Beta started, restarting at Minecraft Beta 1.0, and continuing until the final version of beta at 1.8.1. When Minecraft was "released", the beta tag was removed, and version numbering restarted at Minecraft 1.0. Around this time, prerelease versions started coming out, first as Minecraft 1.X prerelease Y and later as the current system of Minecraft yywxxa where yy is the year, xx is the week, and a is the current version (ex. 11w50c would be the third release of the fiftieth week of 2011.)

To answer your question, Minecraft Beta 1.8 is older and has less stuff as Minecraft 1.1. (Not to be confused with Beta 1.1, Alpha 1.1 or Classic 0.0.11 :notch:)

Have you considered rewriting the minecraft wiki version history page? What you wrote is a lot more concise than what's currently there.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
So, bukkit has joined mojang.

Hadlock posted:

Have you considered rewriting the minecraft wiki version history page? What you wrote is a lot more concise than what's currently there.

I was pretty active in the minecraft wiki until a couple months ago, I might check out some of the articles that need rewriting when I have more time.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey if something I make (say, a powered rail or a button) is protected by Essentials.Protect, how do I turn off that protection so that other people can use the button? I made one of those one-way powered rail stations where the cart comes to a stop and then you push a button and it comtinues on its way, but my friend was having trouble getting the button to work.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Hahahaha I totally called this months and months ago. The bukkit team is such a piece of poo poo for essentially stealing and then dicking over hey0 that December and now they are part of mojang. So now the official modding is nothing more than a fancy wrapper around the minecraft jar instead of getting true interfaces to some of the core minecraft classes.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Okay, how the gently caress do I get minecraft working at a level that doesn't murder my computer? It used to play perfectly fine but now it inevitably ends with the entire game lagging to the point of freezing. I've installed optifine/mine, which has helped, but not by much. Specs are 2.2ghz core 2 duo, 2 gb of ram and nvidia 8600m 512mb videocard on a fresh install of windows 7 pro 32bit (yes, with all of the latest video drivers).

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

change my name posted:

Okay, how the gently caress do I get minecraft working at a level that doesn't murder my computer? It used to play perfectly fine but now it inevitably ends with the entire game lagging to the point of freezing. I've installed optifine/mine, which has helped, but not by much. Specs are 2.2ghz core 2 duo, 2 gb of ram and nvidia 8600m 512mb videocard on a fresh install of windows 7 pro 32bit (yes, with all of the latest video drivers).
This is what I do:
• Hope Jeb optimizes the code or something in the future
• Complain a lot in this thread

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yeah but now I don't even play anymore because it's become unmanageable.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

poemdexter posted:

Hahahaha I totally called this months and months ago. The bukkit team is such a piece of poo poo for essentially stealing and then dicking over hey0 that December and now they are part of mojang.
I thought that hey0 wanted to get out of minecraft modding?

quote:

So now the official modding is nothing more than a fancy wrapper around the minecraft jar instead of getting true interfaces to some of the core minecraft classes.
That's just sad. Maybe spout will offer something better.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

fondue posted:

I thought that hey0 wanted to get out of minecraft modding?

He did after the IRC admin convinced the devs that were helping hey0 to jump ship to bukkit. It's such a sleazy thing and makes me really mad that the idiots might actually see money for essentially stealing hey0s code and refactoring it.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

I remember Poem on PP back in the day you were basically calling this from Day 1.

I am hoping they do a good job but I have my doubts... :(

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

entris posted:

Hey if something I make (say, a powered rail or a button) is protected by Essentials.Protect, how do I turn off that protection so that other people can use the button? I made one of those one-way powered rail stations where the cart comes to a stop and then you push a button and it comtinues on its way, but my friend was having trouble getting the button to work.

Essentially this.

Bukkit has some HUGE doubts to overcome, and I can tell you right now the client-side modding parts of the community are going to be furious with this decision. Curse, Bukkit (and their refusal to acknowledge client side mods) and all the other silly missteps Mojang makes are going to make for a fun next year or so.

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!
I guess I missed it, but can someone sum up the story with hey0 and Bukkit?

Also, this merger should have happened long ago. It's just going to be harder for modders to adapt now that the mod scene has grown so much. Overall, I'm thinking this will be for the better. As a server developer, I really dislike the idea of users having to install some client mods in order to log into a modded server. The integration of client and server modding API hopefully means some more complex "out of the box" capabilities!

Of course the drama is going to be fantastic too. :munch:

[Edit] Really, all I want out of Minecraft now is an official client-server API.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Jeb was doing so good too...

Welp, I guess there's still Cube World and Starbound, and hopefully they'll be managed by competent people with some sense of what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

Really, all I want out of Minecraft now is a game that's like Minecraft but made by someone else.