Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Enzer posted:

And Jeb shows off being able to wear the new banners.

Sengokucraft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Enzer posted:

Nope. I had a really bad feeling that they might have gone with the horrible way paintings are done now, but seeing that you can wear them, that shouldn't be the case. Best case scenario would be to craft a blank banner and then when you place it you get a GUI to select the texture for it and something like shift-right clicking the banner would remove it while keeping the selected texture. But who knows at this point, don't even know if this is going to be a squeezed in final 1.8 content feature or something Jeb is working on for 1.8.X/1.9. :v:

I figured you would craft them as a 2x3 or 3x3 pattern of wool blocks, with specific patterns of colored wool producing specific flags, but I'm missing something because 16^6 or 16^9 is nowhere near 400^6. Although I just realized using the wool-blocks method to produce patterned flags which can then be further combined to make flags with multiple patterns could get you to that number. By which I mean, something like making a banner using
code:
YYY
YRY
YYY
to make Flag A, a yellow flag with a red dot, and using
code:
BBB
YBY
YYY
to make Flag B, a yellow flag with a black triangle at the top, and then crafting the two together to get

But I'm literally making things up so

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe

oddium posted:

Sengokucraft

I see more of this occurring to be honest.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
It's worn the same way as the Banners from Warhammer 40k.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Is there a reason for baby chickens giving off green particles when you right-click them while holding seeds?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jamesman posted:

Is there a reason for baby chickens giving off green particles when you right-click them while holding seeds?

Chickens eat seeds, possibly you are accelerating their growth?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Chickens eat seeds, possibly you are accelerating their growth?

They don't take them. It just makes them give off green sparkles.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Banners are going to be fantastic for team fights. And for looking fly in general.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Enzer posted:

More minecraft optimization nonsense. Dinnerbone is reporting he is getting about 50-55 fps at a 32 chunk view distance, says it could be better but he needs to switch to server stuff. For those not aware, the view distance cap for 1.7 is 16 chunks.

Yessssssss.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Been looking forward to them going through the code and improving it for less chunk popping in out and larger view distance.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Without comment.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

oddium posted:

Sengokucraft

Windows Explorers.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
14w30a is out, and the framerate has definitely improved, 60fps on 16 chunk view distance vs ~52 from before (vsync on). Block lag if anything is even worse beyond 8 for me though.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Familiar Foreigner posted:

14w30a is out, and the framerate has definitely improved, 60fps on 16 chunk view distance vs ~52 from before (vsync on). Block lag if anything is even worse beyond 8 for me though.

Hows the block lag on 14w30b that just came out?

Banners made it into this snapshot as well and their crafting method is a tad insane, I understand what Jeb meant by the huge number of patterns it has now: http://imgur.com/a/gwCaz

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Holy crap that's so complex and deep. :psyduck:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CJacobs posted:

The real kicker is combat system changes: none. :haw:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

xzzy posted:

The real kicker is combat system changes: none. :haw:

Combat needs such a loving huge overhaul that it would be an entire update in itself, so I am not surprised they are not touching that with a ten foot pole, much rather have the issue tackled head on instead of doing small "improvements" here and there that would probably end up being worse in the end. If we ever see an overhaul to combat it is going to be after they've finished work on engine stuff. :P

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Enzer posted:

Banners made it into this snapshot as well and their crafting method is a tad insane, I understand what Jeb meant by the huge number of patterns it has now: http://imgur.com/a/gwCaz

gently caress a duck, that's amazing.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I was very, VERY surprised to load up the snapshot and find...

loving rabbits.

E: And sheep drop mutton now?!

I know I could look all these changes up, but... :effort:

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 23, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rabbits are loving annoying because you can only tame them at certain times and you can't lead them around by holding out carrots.

I'll stick with pig and cow farms, thanks. :colbert:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rabbits are cool because there needs to be more ways to get leather.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

CJacobs posted:

You can only have six layers, so its not that deep.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Potsticker posted:

Rabbits are cool because there needs to be more ways to get leather.

I definitely agree, but the return is pretty miserable. First you gotta find carrots. Then you gotta drive yourself insane trying to get the rabbits into a pen so you can breed them. Then you have to kill four times as many rabbits to get the output of a single cow.

Whereas for cow leather all you have to do is punch some grass, plant some seeds, then stuff wheat in the thing's face.

New stuff is definitely cool but I think their resource system needs quite a bit of work, cows and iron fix just about every problem in the game and they're both super easy to get.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Iron tools/armor are too strong and/or too big an upgrade over stone/leather for how easy it is to acquire.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

If rabbits dropped leather and cows dropprd cowhide which split into four leather I think it might help the early game scarcity. Or maybe I've just been super unlucky at finding cows lately.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or if the game didn't spawn pigs all the way to the horizon every single time. :v:

I figure it's a function of the seed but it seems like all I get anymore is pigs. I can usually find cows within a game day's walk but I generally have to play the game for an hour or so before I'm comfortable going on exploratory adventures.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level

Enzer posted:

Hows the block lag on 14w30b that just came out?

That was fast of them, it is quite a bit better. Now it's more like playing on a slightly laggy server. Still may not play 16 until it's worked out a bit more.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Familiar Foreigner posted:

That was fast of them, it is quite a bit better. Now it's more like playing on a slightly laggy server. Still may not play 16 until it's worked out a bit more.

What kind of CPU do you have right now, the devs are reporting that is where most people are hitting a bottleneck on performance.

xzzy posted:

I definitely agree, but the return is pretty miserable. First you gotta find carrots. Then you gotta drive yourself insane trying to get the rabbits into a pen so you can breed them. Then you have to kill four times as many rabbits to get the output of a single cow.

Whereas for cow leather all you have to do is punch some grass, plant some seeds, then stuff wheat in the thing's face.

New stuff is definitely cool but I think their resource system needs quite a bit of work, cows and iron fix just about every problem in the game and they're both super easy to get.

xzzy posted:

Or if the game didn't spawn pigs all the way to the horizon every single time. :v:

I figure it's a function of the seed but it seems like all I get anymore is pigs. I can usually find cows within a game day's walk but I generally have to play the game for an hour or so before I'm comfortable going on exploratory adventures.

Pig spawn weight has always been a tad high and pigs also spawn in a minimum group size of four, which doesn't help. That is why I think they only give pork as a resource. I do agree that corralling animals is a pain in the rear end, even with a lead. Rabbits do have a benefit for the pain they give though since they have one of the biggest resource groups: Two food options in cooked rabbit and rabbit stew, a source of leather, and a potion ingredient for jump potions. There was actually a lot of people bitching that rabbits gave so many different resources. :psyduck:

Potsticker posted:

If rabbits dropped leather and cows dropprd cowhide which split into four leather I think it might help the early game scarcity. Or maybe I've just been super unlucky at finding cows lately.

I really like this idea.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Iron tools/armor are too strong and/or too big an upgrade over stone/leather for how easy it is to acquire.

Agreed, for the WilsonSMP server I have been developing a mod that overhauls the armor and tool crafting of vanilla minecraft. Metallic tools require a little bit more prep time and material cost and are not something you jump into immediately and armor costs and strengths have been rebalanced with leather and a new hardened leather armor being cheap early options and iron armor being not quite as strong and a little bit more expensive to make and I added a way to make chain links which produces a cheaper, weaker iron armor (I am not explaining this well right now, but it isn't an "increase tedium and resource amount" thing). Also added additional ways to produce leather, but I am liking the idea that raw leather is turned into multiple "prepared leather" or something along that line.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 23, 2014

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Enzer posted:

Agreed, for the WilsonSMP server I have been developing a mod that overhauls the armor and tool crafting of vanilla minecraft. Metallic tools require a little bit more prep time and material cost and are not something you jump into immediately and armor costs and strengths have been rebalanced with leather and a new hardened leather armor being cheap early options and iron armor being not quite as strong and a little bit more expensive to make and I added a way to make chain links which produces a cheaper, weaker iron armor (I am not explaining this well right now, but it isn't an "increase tedium and resource amount" thing). Also added additional ways to produce leather, but I am liking the idea that raw leather is turned into multiple "prepared leather" or something along that line.

Can you go into this a bit more? I'm interested. (Also as a side note, people gush over WilsonSMP server and I've been meaning to try it out.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah that sounds like a mod I'd make, if I ever went down that route of insanity and got into Minecraft modding. Not really change the play mechanics, but retool the resource tree so survival is less "find iron, win game."

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

During a full moon can you only destroy rabbits with a holy hand grenade?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hadlock posted:

During a full moon can you only destroy rabbits with a holy hand grenade?

Have to count to 3 first, though.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Rotten Cookies posted:

Can you go into this a bit more? I'm interested. (Also as a side note, people gush over WilsonSMP server and I've been meaning to try it out.)

Should definitely give it a try, but I suggest at least waiting a week or so, having to rebuild the world because of 1.7 shenanigans, so if you want to get on the world when its fresh, that would be when to do it. The website keeps a pretty good update log on progress of stuff. I may give a heads up when are ready to reopen as we are always welcoming new players. :) http://www.wilsonsmp.com/index.php

xzzy posted:

Yeah that sounds like a mod I'd make, if I ever went down that route of insanity and got into Minecraft modding. Not really change the play mechanics, but retool the resource tree so survival is less "find iron, win game."

The first few released versions have been kind of proof of concept stuff to get player feedback on things, so while there is information on this on the websites' server guide, it is mostly outdated as I am currently tweaking it to be a bit more player friendly as I have to do a complete rewrite for 1.7 anyway.

Basic idea is that I cut out wood tools completely. Players can make an item called a Sturdy Stick from normal sticks which acts as a shovel, a pickaxe for stone and coal and a very lovely axe. Sturdy sticks can also be retooled into clubs which replaces the vanilla wood sword.

I threw out stone crafting and replaced it with stone knapping. In any crafting grid that is at least 2x2 (like the personal inventory crafting grid) a player can combine cobblestone or smooth stone with flint (I am going to add a recipe that allows a player to turn 1 cobble block into 9 loose stones for those who can't find gravel for whatever reason). Combining the cobble with a flint or rock gives the player a selection of tools heads: Axe, Pick, Shovel, Hoe and a Blade. Currently, players take a sturdy stick and a stone tool head and combine those to make the finished stone tools. I was thinking about adding something like a rope or string that you use to bind the head to the stick, but I like the fact that the player can do all this without having to make a crafting table.

Metal working is a bit more advanced and encourages players to get more settled in and build something before they start making metal tools. I've added a few crafting stations to get this to work:

1) Tanning Rack that converts raw leather into treated leather, leather strips and hardened leather as well as allows the player to turn zombie flesh and furs from modded creatures into raw leather.

2) Alloy Bench which is used to make special materials like bronze (don't laugh, but as we had nothing that added tin or copper, I decided to use a mix of iron and gold :v:).
Example things you can do with an Ally Bench are:
1 Coal -> 2 Coal Chunks
1 Iron Ore -> 2 Iron Chunks
1 Gold Ore -> 2 Gold Chunks
1 Quartz -> 2 Quartz Shard
1 Emerald -> 9 Emerald Shards
1 Diamond -> 1 Diamond Dust
1 Coal Chunk + 1 Iron Chunk -> 2 Wrought Iron Blends
1 Gold Chunk + 1 Iron Chunk -> 2 Bronze Blends
1 Quartz Shard + 1 Iron Chunk -> 2 Blood Iron Blends

Note that a lot of this is for special armor and weapon sets that have unique effects.

3) Metal Working Table where ingots are turned into metal plates and forged ingots are worked into various tool head shapes. Armors and metallic weapons and tools are assembled here.

2 Iron Ingot -> 1 Chain Link
4 Gold Ingots -> 1 Gold Plate
4 Iron Ingots -> 1 Iron Plate
4 Bronze Ingots -> 1 Bronze Plate
4 Blood Iron Ingots -> 1 Blood Iron Plate
4 Diamonds -> 1 Diamond Plate
1 Diamond Plate + 1 Iron Plate -> 1 Diamond Reinforced Plate

4) Drafting Table where the player makes templates for tool heads. I am not overly satisfied with right now and am thinking on how to rework it. Templates are used to designate what kind of tool head you are crafting. Current system uses charcoal to draw out the shapes, I am instead going to probably drop the drafting table and add a "charcoal pencil" item that you use at a vanilla crafting table to produce templates. Templates can be reused, unsure if they should wear down over time. I also plan to add special templates that the players cannot craft themselves and will have limited uses before they break. These templates will be used to craft unique tools or swords (like a "Midas Sword" that causes mobs to drop gold nuggets on death, or a "Bane" weapon that one hit kills a specific mob but doesn't hurt anything else or a pick that auto smelts ingots when you mine them) and will be given out as rewards for quests or special events.

There is also a Forge and Blast Furnace the players can make. Blast Furnace is a special furnace that players are rewarded with the option to make if they brave the nether for the required ingredients (WilsonSMP nether is considered very hard territory with auto-aggroing pigmen, but there are a lot of rewards to be found there). It smelts items at over twice the speed as a normal furnace, has better fuel efficiency and is the only way to smelt blood iron ingots or nether ores which give you two ingots for each ore. The Forge is used in weapon and armor crafting and quickly reheats normal metal ingots into heated forged ingots that are either directly shaped into tool heads or are turned into metal plates for armors. This step was added to keep compatibility with a few mods.

The Drafting Table and Forging Anvil were removed from the mod in the current rewrite as has an Armor Working Bench. Too many crafting tables, a full blacksmith area would no include: Tanning Rack, Alloy Bench, Forge, either a vanilla furnace or a Blast Furnace, and a Metal Working Table which might get renamed and re-textured to be similar to the Forging Anvil.

So the process of making a metal tool head would be to make a template, turn a sturdy stick into a tool rod with a leather strip, combine the template with an ingot you heated in the Forge to make a tool head and then you combine the tool head with the tool rod to make the final product. It sounds.. complicated, but in practice is fairly simple and allows players to make tools a hell of a lot cheaper than vanilla (an iron pick only requires a single iron ingot for example) as well as make some neat forge areas for their builds, but allows me flexibility in altering the tools and weapons a bit. I haven't tested it publicly yet, but I do plan on tweaking the stats of tools (please do not read this as nerfing poo poo). And I have already done something similar with swords as the players can make 3 types of sword blades: Light, Standard and Heavy.

Light Sword have the least durability of any sword, but they make it up by having the best attack damage. For example, a Light Gold Sword has the same attack strength as a Standard Iron Sword.
The Light Sword, when right clicked, sacrifices some durability to give the player a Speed II buff. This buff can be done 50 times on a newly crafted blade before the sword breaks.

Standard Swords are the middle ground of the three blades, taking second best damage and second best durability.
The Standard Sword, when right clicked, sacrifices some durability to give the player a Resistance II buff. This buff can be done 50 times on a newly crafted blade before the sword breaks.

Heavy Swords have the best durability of any sword, but they are slow and harder to handle resulting in the lowest attack rating of the three. A Heavy Sword of one tier is only as strong as a Standard Sword of the tier beneath it.
The Heavy Sword, when right clicked, does not give a buff like the other two swords. Instead the Heavy Sword is to be right clicked on a mob (here is a hint, aim at the mob's feet!), doing so will launch the mob away from the player as the player winds up a heavy hit and smacks the mob away. This ability can be used 100 times on a newly crafted blade before the sword breaks.

To better explain the damage of these weapons it breaks down to something like this:
Gold swords range from 4-6 damage.

Iron swords range from 5-7 damage.

Diamond swords range from 6-8 damage.

With durability being a huge factor into things as well.

As for armors, the crating recipes are mostly similar, but the players now use metal plates that require four ingots as well as leather strips. While this seems a tad crazy, we've found that this balances pretty nicely. WilsonSMP is a hard mode server with increased mob spawn rates and deadly regular events. That said, armor in minecraft is just crazy strong and it is very easy for even freshly joined players to get full iron or diamond gear very quickly which, after being enchanted, kills a lot of the challenge as well as makes the events we run hard to balance. So now armor has a high cost which slows player progress a little, forces players to use their resources (trust me, people end up with so many goddamn diamond blocks after a few months they don't even know what to do with them), and gives the world just a little bit more of an edge. To counter this, armors have been completely rebalanced to make early armors useful, there is also special armors players an work out to make like Blood Iron that sub out ores for other resources and are fairly powerful. Basically, as you said, we don't want things to be "Get Iron, Beat Game" as you can't just throw away armors now. To balance this I am going to add a way for players to mend armors using metal plates and a hammer, so if you keep your maintenance of your armor up, you could stretch its material worth pretty far.

Again, on paper, it looks very tedious and a bit insane and I am incredibly bad at explaining it, but in practice it seems to be working pretty well and I've been watching the playerbase use it and am trying to take feedback into consideration. It isn't going to be for everyone, but for the server it works for us. :)

Enzer fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 23, 2014

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Ah, I just registered on the forums there. I'd still want to get in just to try and get the hang of the new crafting by doing.

The new crafting you're doing seems a bit more complicated, but that's justified and I do really like the added granularity for different tools/armor. I mean, the advanced tools SHOULD require you to hunker down and really craft a bit more than you would for stone tools. I like the idea of specialty templates. Could you make those a rare find in natural chests?

Overall, seems pretty great. I look forward to giving it a try!

Also, since finding out rabbits are in the game, I couldn't resist...

George and Lenny finally got that little place... with a cow, some pigs, and a chicken... and Lenny can tend the rabbits :unsmith:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Rotten Cookies posted:

Ah, I just registered on the forums there. I'd still want to get in just to try and get the hang of the new crafting by doing.

The new crafting you're doing seems a bit more complicated, but that's justified and I do really like the added granularity for different tools/armor. I mean, the advanced tools SHOULD require you to hunker down and really craft a bit more than you would for stone tools. I like the idea of specialty templates. Could you make those a rare find in natural chests?

Overall, seems pretty great. I look forward to giving it a try!

Also, since finding out rabbits are in the game, I couldn't resist...

George and Lenny finally got that little place... with a cow, some pigs, and a chicken... and Lenny can tend the rabbits :unsmith:

Cool, I'll bug Wilson when he gets back to get your account fully approved. You wont have to worry about an application (standard thing so we can better keep track of whose who and its a literacy test :v:) until the world is fully open, but you'll need to fill one out to get actually on the server itself, takes like a min to do. We have a test world up to look for bugs, but the crafting stuff isn't in yet as I'm still rewriting stuff as the mod also includes some 200 additional decorative blocks.

The information we have up on the site is a bit complicated, I agree, and I'm "trimming the fat" as it were in the various steps to make it flow a bit better based on community feedback. :)

Enzer fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 23, 2014

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Anyone have much experience with McMyAdmin and snapshots? I have a VPS I host my site and forums on and I've used it before to host a vanilla full release Minecraft server. I'm thinking of trying out the snapshot on it, but is the process of updating the snapshots fairly easy? Just reupload the files and restart?

Wilson
Jun 3, 2007

WIIILLLSSSOOONNN

Disappointing Pie posted:

Anyone have much experience with McMyAdmin and snapshots? I have a VPS I host my site and forums on and I've used it before to host a vanilla full release Minecraft server. I'm thinking of trying out the snapshot on it, but is the process of updating the snapshots fairly easy? Just reupload the files and restart?

In your configuration set server type to Official and I always drop the jar in myself via FTP. I never use the Server Release Stream.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level

Enzer posted:

What kind of CPU do you have right now, the devs are reporting that is where most people are hitting a bottleneck on performance.

I have an i5 3470, the 3.2/3.6ghz one so it's unlikely that's the issue.

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 23, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So yeah, the banners system is totally fitting for Minecraft because the spergs went completely nuts with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I've been playing with the banners system all day, and I put 70-odd (although 22 of those are just messing with saltires) up here.

- Crosses are slimmer than diagonal lines, so you can lay down a pair of diagonal lines and then a cross over the top of them to create a shading effect. It's also possible to combine them with the triangles to come up with significantly slimmer lines than would normally be available.
- As far as I can tell, it is impossible for a flag to have a brick top triangle with the remainder a regular color.
- The rightmost flag here is hereby the official Captain Kirk flag.

Remora fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 23, 2014