Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klf11
Aug 17, 2014

Keiya posted:

3.8-pre1 is out. Apparently there's a new default skin, but it's random which one an account gets, and you can change from Alex? to Steve? but not back. Also some people's skins are bugged and are showing the three-wide model. I am, and it actually looks pretty good.

i like the new skin, but kinda reminds me of the orange cat + zelda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Did they model it after Jeb without a mustache/beard?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I think so, yeah. Which makes the idiots whining that it's too obviously-female rather funny.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
It really would have messed with people if they left the beard/mustache.

Looking forward to trying out the supposed performance improvements.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Arkitektbmw posted:

Looking forward to trying out the supposed performance improvements.

My experience is that I can run the latest Minecraft at 32 chunk distance and get equivalent framerate that I did in 1.7. If I stick to the old maximum of 16 chunks, my FPS goes through the roof.. 300+. I eventually settled on 22 chunks because it lets me peg at 120 fps.

Chunk loading is amazingly fast, I only see holes in the world when I'm flying around in creative and hit a spot that hasn't been generated yet.

There are a few display glitches when digging, sometimes you'll briefly get x-ray vision but the last few updates have fixed the worst cases.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

xzzy posted:

My experience is that I can run the latest Minecraft at 32 chunk distance and get equivalent framerate that I did in 1.7. If I stick to the old maximum of 16 chunks, my FPS goes through the roof.. 300+. I eventually settled on 22 chunks because it lets me peg at 120 fps.

Chunk loading is amazingly fast, I only see holes in the world when I'm flying around in creative and hit a spot that hasn't been generated yet.

There are a few display glitches when digging, sometimes you'll briefly get x-ray vision but the last few updates have fixed the worst cases.

I was having the exact same performance, until suddenly 32 chunks became completely unplayable. The frames were fine, but chunk loading was practically broken, and mobs/NPCs kept lagging out, as would interacting with the world. Setting MC back to default settings makes everything fly though. It's really weird because I had solid 32 chunk performance since the first patch that added it up until late last week or so.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
If you hit the ungenerated area with 32 chunk render distance, it chugs massively, in my experience.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
Does the new built-in world border have an option to pre-generate the world?

It's super frustrating to me that the on-demand generation is the only option. Especially on a server. I'm currently running a heavily modded 1.6.4 server and the mods all add lots of time to the already slow world-gen of Minecraft. If there was an out-of-the-box means to pre-generate to a certain radius, for example, that would be wonderful. Spend a couple extra cycles here and there generating another chunk, rather than trying to generate 4, 8, 16, whatever, on-demand. For my server, we resorted to a script to TP an OPped character around that we'd run when no one else was online, and a redstone device carring a chunk-loader. All very sloppy and annoying.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Blasphemeral posted:

Does the new built-in world border have an option to pre-generate the world?

It's super frustrating to me that the on-demand generation is the only option. Especially on a server. I'm currently running a heavily modded 1.6.4 server and the mods all add lots of time to the already slow world-gen of Minecraft. If there was an out-of-the-box means to pre-generate to a certain radius, for example, that would be wonderful. Spend a couple extra cycles here and there generating another chunk, rather than trying to generate 4, 8, 16, whatever, on-demand. For my server, we resorted to a script to TP an OPped character around that we'd run when no one else was online, and a redstone device carring a chunk-loader. All very sloppy and annoying.

Installing MCPC+ and worldborder would be a lot easier than whatever you were doing. It can set a border and pregenerate.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Taffer posted:

Installing MCPC+ and worldborder would be a lot easier than whatever you were doing. It can set a border and pregenerate.

We were using Forge world-border, and it only did the initial world-generation pass that does raw terrain, and not the more time-consuming pass that does vegetation and ores and stuff. It was disappointing.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The new second default skin was around in the old Minecon media too

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Potsticker posted:

Okay, but how about Redstone Torch Arrows?

Those have to exist if only because they allow you to make adventure maps where a single well-shot redstone torch short-circuits a massive redstone circuit in your favour, allowing you to overcome a ridiculously overwrought security system, Mission Impossible style.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dibujante posted:

Those have to exist if only because they allow you to make adventure maps where a single well-shot redstone torch short-circuits a massive redstone circuit in your favour, allowing you to overcome a ridiculously overwrought security system, Mission Impossible style.

Yes, yes!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Taffer posted:

I do this; using the bukkit plugin,'worldborder', you can set the world size and then tell it to fill the world to the border.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Dibujante posted:

We had both torch & redstone torch arrows on Wilson's server wayyyyy back in the day. Mods for this kind of thing have been around forever.

They were fairly nuanced too. You needed to have a torch/redstone torch in the hotbar slot immediately to the right of your bow, and it would use up one of each per shot, so it wasn't crazy overpowered infinite torches either. You'd need both the torch and an arrow for it to work.

I believe the redstone arrows also lit mobs on fire when it hit them, though this was before enchanting even existed and could do the same thing.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

:wooper: PAINTERLY PACK UPDATE :wooper:

Yes, I apparently still suffer from the mental sickness that makes me keep this thing current. :)
I just put the update live that makes Painterly fully 1.8 compatible, because I'm pretty sure that with the prerelease live, there's not likely to be any additional changes made in the texture end of things.

Here's more or less what's been added this update:

And here's ALL (well, 90%) of what's been added across several updates since 1.7 went live a billion years ago:

Here's a fun thing you can do with my prismarine options - and you can of course pick from additional colours besides these, as well as set the order they blend across the spectrum, because gently caress it, let's go nuts here:

Here's what's been added in this update:
- New art set by amazing internet persona Steven Gall, using his gorgeous pixel artwork.
- Bracketed wall torch options by Space K. Green in all wood colours.
- New code to bring back different-sided ore blocks! Proper ore crates return!!
- 2 styles of 'fixed' coal ore blocks as crates.
- 3 styles of 'fixed' diamond ore blocks as crates and diamond cells.
- 7 styles of 'fixed' iron ore blocks - crates, gearboxes, half bricks, vents and coins.
- 6 styles of 'fixed' gold ore blocks - crates, cartouche, half bricks, and coins.
- 48 styles of coarse dirt - original, dark, small and large dark and light stone, pebbles, and dungeon path in all 6 dirt colours.
- Nighttime detector faces for all 14 styles of light detectors.
- A formidable 152 prismarine textures - allowing for 8 styles of prismarine in 3 colours each, with 7 fading colour options for most of them.
- 27 types of sea lantern blocks, including a few types of jellyfish-like blocks, sponge lanterns, and glowing pearls.
- 46 new door textures, available for all 6 wooden door options.
- 80 total sprites for use in the 5 red sandstone textures, 20 each in yellow, red, orange and bluegrey sand.
- Textures for sponge and wet sponge.
- 8 additional sprites for hoppers in inventory, and ability to select them independently of the hopper.
- 5 types of raw mutton - haunch, chop, ribeye, t-bone and rack of ribs.
- 6 types of cooked mutton - as above, plus a plate of lamb curry.
- 3 types of raw rabbit - haunch, hop and whole rabbit.
- 4 types of cooked rabbit - as above, plus a plate of roast rabbit and carrots.
- 3 types of rabbit stew - chunky, carrot and bunny.
- 5 types of rabbit hide - white, gold, brown, spotted and salt.
- 10 types of rabbit hide - white, gold, brown, black and salt both alone and on a chain.
- 14 styles of prismarine crystal, some of which are also used with prismarine shards.
- 29 types of prismarine shards, some of which are also used with prismarine crystals.
- 12 varieties of rabbit - black, brown, chestnut, cream, gold, splotched gold, grey, salt, toast, splotched, white and caerbannog.
- 7 colours of Guardian - blue, white, red and sea.
- 3 colours of Elder Guardian - albino, abyssal and benthic.
- 7 varieties of Guardian eye beams.
- New sea-coloured squid option.
- New base texture for banners.
- 5 styles of armor stand - dark, light, dungeon, icy and marble stone bases.
- 2 styles of banner patterns - classic and crisp edges.
- 2 styles of ender portal graphic - classic and cosmic.
- 4 styles of world forcefield - classic, stardust, and 2 types of holodeck.
- New gui options for server selections and for livestream spectating.
- Offlawn mod updated by Cannibal Vox for Forge & Minecraft versions 1.6.4 and 1.7.2
- Re-enabled Offlawn textures in customizer under Mods.

As those who still use Painterly have probably noticed, updates for Painterly have slowed down - this is a combination of a lot of factors, the most important being the span between minecraft official updates, and the fact the site basically doesn't really generate much cash as compared to the overhead invested in keeping it going, which does bog things down to some extent. I've been talking to some folks who have suggested options like Patreon, which seems promising, but rest assured either way, I'm still trying to be as committed as I can to keeping the pack up to date and full of as many options as I can justify, so I don't expect it to be going anywhere!

Anyways, enough blather. I hope everyone enjoys the update, and gets some good use out of the new options. As always, make sure you clear your cache and then shift+refresh the customizer page if anything looks off - as you probably have an old version cached, which tends to muck with your customizer experience whenever I update.

Enjoy!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

kas posted:

:wooper: PAINTERLY PACK UPDATE :wooper:

Yes, I apparently still suffer from the mental sickness that makes me keep this thing current. :)
I just put the update live that makes Painterly fully 1.8 compatible, because I'm pretty sure that with the prerelease live, there's not likely to be any additional changes made in the texture end of things.

Here's more or less what's been added this update:

And here's ALL (well, 90%) of what's been added across several updates since 1.7 went live a billion years ago:

Here's a fun thing you can do with my prismarine options - and you can of course pick from additional colours besides these, as well as set the order they blend across the spectrum, because gently caress it, let's go nuts here:

Here's what's been added in this update:
- New art set by amazing internet persona Steven Gall, using his gorgeous pixel artwork.
- Bracketed wall torch options by Space K. Green in all wood colours.
- New code to bring back different-sided ore blocks! Proper ore crates return!!
- 2 styles of 'fixed' coal ore blocks as crates.
- 3 styles of 'fixed' diamond ore blocks as crates and diamond cells.
- 7 styles of 'fixed' iron ore blocks - crates, gearboxes, half bricks, vents and coins.
- 6 styles of 'fixed' gold ore blocks - crates, cartouche, half bricks, and coins.
- 48 styles of coarse dirt - original, dark, small and large dark and light stone, pebbles, and dungeon path in all 6 dirt colours.
- Nighttime detector faces for all 14 styles of light detectors.
- A formidable 152 prismarine textures - allowing for 8 styles of prismarine in 3 colours each, with 7 fading colour options for most of them.
- 27 types of sea lantern blocks, including a few types of jellyfish-like blocks, sponge lanterns, and glowing pearls.
- 46 new door textures, available for all 6 wooden door options.
- 80 total sprites for use in the 5 red sandstone textures, 20 each in yellow, red, orange and bluegrey sand.
- Textures for sponge and wet sponge.
- 8 additional sprites for hoppers in inventory, and ability to select them independently of the hopper.
- 5 types of raw mutton - haunch, chop, ribeye, t-bone and rack of ribs.
- 6 types of cooked mutton - as above, plus a plate of lamb curry.
- 3 types of raw rabbit - haunch, hop and whole rabbit.
- 4 types of cooked rabbit - as above, plus a plate of roast rabbit and carrots.
- 3 types of rabbit stew - chunky, carrot and bunny.
- 5 types of rabbit hide - white, gold, brown, spotted and salt.
- 10 types of rabbit hide - white, gold, brown, black and salt both alone and on a chain.
- 14 styles of prismarine crystal, some of which are also used with prismarine shards.
- 29 types of prismarine shards, some of which are also used with prismarine crystals.
- 12 varieties of rabbit - black, brown, chestnut, cream, gold, splotched gold, grey, salt, toast, splotched, white and caerbannog.
- 7 colours of Guardian - blue, white, red and sea.
- 3 colours of Elder Guardian - albino, abyssal and benthic.
- 7 varieties of Guardian eye beams.
- New sea-coloured squid option.
- New base texture for banners.
- 5 styles of armor stand - dark, light, dungeon, icy and marble stone bases.
- 2 styles of banner patterns - classic and crisp edges.
- 2 styles of ender portal graphic - classic and cosmic.
- 4 styles of world forcefield - classic, stardust, and 2 types of holodeck.
- New gui options for server selections and for livestream spectating.
- Offlawn mod updated by Cannibal Vox for Forge & Minecraft versions 1.6.4 and 1.7.2
- Re-enabled Offlawn textures in customizer under Mods.

As those who still use Painterly have probably noticed, updates for Painterly have slowed down - this is a combination of a lot of factors, the most important being the span between minecraft official updates, and the fact the site basically doesn't really generate much cash as compared to the overhead invested in keeping it going, which does bog things down to some extent. I've been talking to some folks who have suggested options like Patreon, which seems promising, but rest assured either way, I'm still trying to be as committed as I can to keeping the pack up to date and full of as many options as I can justify, so I don't expect it to be going anywhere!

Anyways, enough blather. I hope everyone enjoys the update, and gets some good use out of the new options. As always, make sure you clear your cache and then shift+refresh the customizer page if anything looks off - as you probably have an old version cached, which tends to muck with your customizer experience whenever I update.

Enjoy!

You are a King among mortals, thank you so much for building and maintaining this!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

You are the loving man, Kas.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
You have no idea how much I pine for Chisel adding all this new stuff

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So why did they now make it so that you can set the view distance to 32 chunks without giving you an ingame option to increase the memory MC can be allocated to run? They just gave themselves a ton of headaches with all the crash reports they are probably going to be receiving now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah it's a bit dumb. Maybe Java apps can't increase their max allocation while running?

I cranked it up to 8GB, which is probably too much as it never seems to go much above 5GB but I didn't feel like testing the minimum and just gave it a huge number.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Java requires that you define memory allocation at runtime.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The launcher should have memory slider then. The java arguments thing they have is not going to be intuitive for 99% of the people who play this game.

Also, 32 chunks still is unplayable for me. I wish I knew why it suddenly broke.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I wonder if you could just cap the FPS at like 60 and cap the view distance. It would be nice to play it on my laptop and not have it sound like a hovercraft.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

The launcher should have memory slider then. The java arguments thing they have is not going to be intuitive for 99% of the people who play this game.

Also, 32 chunks still is unplayable for me. I wish I knew why it suddenly broke.

I think the idea is that they don't want people loving with long range chunk rendering unless they can figure out how to set a simple java argument. Could easily see a poo poo ton of people who don't know enough about their computer inadvertently forcing the game to run like poo poo or just crash constantly.

It is the same reason why the command block isn't accessible unless you understand how to run commands.

As for your issue, if you happen to be using Linux, that latest LWJGL that got pushed has an issue on their side with Linux systems.

The only other thing I can think of is that Minecraft and AMD have a poo poo ton of issues with each other where AMD keeps pushing out new drivers that breaks Minecraft on the drivers side, Mojang's released a few statements along the lines that the issue needs to be reported to AMD (they have themselves already done so), but AMD rarely cares. :v:

I can't remember if it was you or someone else, but someone updated their drivers to fix Battlefield or some poo poo and it ended up breaking MC entirely.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 24, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I haven't updated my video card drivers at all. I haven't updated anything since the 32 chunk feature was put in. Not even Java. I only updated Java after 32 chunks suddenly stopped working.
The issue seems to be a memory use issue, or at least a java issue. I don't know. I'm slowly losing interest in fixing something I didn't break. I literally went from perfectly playable, to some mild lag, to unplayable in the span of 24 hours without rebooting my PC or changing anything.

Also, you might have misunderstood what I meant about them adding 32 chunks. They have added the ability to set your view distance to 32 chunks ingame by default now, where as in the previous snapshots, this ability was disabled unless you set the java arguments to give you more than the default memory. Now you can do this without touching those arguments, which is a bad thing because the default java settings do not seem even remotely capable of handling 32 chunks.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Enzer posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Java requires that you define memory allocation at runtime.

I thought JRE8 got rid of that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I don't know anything about Java, and with a cheapish-but-brand-new machine with 8GB of memory, the game absolutely will not run beyond 8-chunk distance without soul-crushing lag. I was fairly surprised, I thought it could handle Minecraft better than that.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't know anything about Java, and with a cheapish-but-brand-new machine with 8GB of memory, the game absolutely will not run beyond 8-chunk distance without soul-crushing lag. I was fairly surprised, I thought it could handle Minecraft better than that.

Yeah I've had a problem for months with a machine that gets 60+ fps on everything I've thrown at it where I get insane lag in minecraft.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
You are running a 64 bit version of Java?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yes, on 64-bit Windows 7. Java was a bit out of date, but updating it made no difference.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
in the 1.8 pre has anyone found a way to reset what enchants are available for your item without enchanting something else? I read in the wiki moving the bookshelves and then replacing them willl change but my piston setup doesn't seem to change the potential enchant options (although the shelves are moved far enough to alter what level of enchants are available.)

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I have the same problem, but with 16gb of ram and a i7 960. Its been happening for about 5 or 6 months now, before the chunk updates limit updates. No idea why, but it means I can't play the game at all.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

LegoMan posted:

in the 1.8 pre has anyone found a way to reset what enchants are available for your item without enchanting something else? I read in the wiki moving the bookshelves and then replacing them willl change but my piston setup doesn't seem to change the potential enchant options (although the shelves are moved far enough to alter what level of enchants are available.)

As far as I know the only way to change the enchantments you're offered is to enchant something else; you can tear down all your bookshelves and your enchanting table and set it all up anew on the other end of the world if you want, but the game remembers the last set of enchantments.

The only ways to change what it offers as far as I know are:

(1) Change the number of hooked up bookshelves (by removing one or with a torch or whatever), or
(2) Enchant something else (books are handy for this, otherwise just use a stone shovel or something.)

The second thing is now actually a viable option since a level 1 enchantment only costs 1 XP level. If you have an XP grinder nearby and plenty of lapis, you can now feel quite free to enchant books or stone shovels while holding out for Protection IV on all your armor and so forth. and anvils don't cost nearly as much as they used to, so if you happen to get offered something really good on a book you can actually take it and use it.

Yesterday my Efficiency V/Fortune III/Unbreaking III diamond pickaxe finally wore out, so I took it to an anvil with a new pickaxe to see if it is fixable (before 1.8 it absolutely would not be, not even close). You know how many XP levels repairing it required? 2! TWO!

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 25, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah that's the way enchanting has been balanced, which I am ok with. Enchanting books its the way to go, imo, since you can combine them for better enchants later.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I don't know if it's still a thing but Java used to always give you the 32bit version unless you specifically connected to the site with Internet Explorer. Most of the time you would never notice but Minecraft is the one program you would have problems with.

e: Yes this is still a thing, with Chrome anyway.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

e: Yes this is still a thing, with Chrome anyway.

Well don't use an inferior browser. :colbert:

Sorry, couldn't resist, anyways chrome pitches a fit because its preloaded java gets in the way. If you connect with Firefox or anything else (not gonna name it), then there's a link below the download that's called all versions. On that page you can pick java for linux, etc. as well as the 64-bit versions.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you boot the game through the Technic Launcher you can easily specifically set how much RAM to assign to Minecraft with a little slider in the settings menu. If it doesn't let you assign more than 2 gigs, you're running the 32 bit version of Java. Even if you are running the 64-bit version, it might be defaulting to only assigning 2 gigs for whatever reason - kicking mine up to 4 helped tremendously.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

You can tell which Java you have and how much memory is assigned by hitting F3. I gave MC 8gb (just like I used to in Technic) and I still can't run 32 chunks at all. The game is very unstable at that view distance now for me. Maybe there are some other java arguments that are needed or something? Or need to be removed? Someone recommended me some before, and they worked fine at first, and then the game went to poo poo. I reset them to the defaults and just changed the memory values and it didn't help. I'm completely out of ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

ToastyPotato posted:

You can tell which Java you have and how much memory is assigned by hitting F3. I gave MC 8gb (just like I used to in Technic) and I still can't run 32 chunks at all. The game is very unstable at that view distance now for me. Maybe there are some other java arguments that are needed or something? Or need to be removed? Someone recommended me some before, and they worked fine at first, and then the game went to poo poo. I reset them to the defaults and just changed the memory values and it didn't help. I'm completely out of ideas.

More isn't necessarily better with Java and RAM. Try allocating 2-4 GB.
As for why that might work despite being counter-intuitive, well, Java is kind of batshit.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 25, 2014