Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Speedball posted:

Seriously, what the hell else are you going to use leather for?

*Ahem*
http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=Gimp_Suit
:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Speedball posted:

Seriously, what the hell else are you going to use leather for?
Leather is easily one of the most unbalanced items in the game, in that they never actually bothered to structure it around its needs. You need 90 for a full set of bookshelves for your enchant table. 90. You need 24 for a full set of leather armor, which, reminder, is pretty bad and is supposed to be an alternative BEFORE iron armor. Beyond that, though, there's basically no purpose for it. And unlike wool (which USED to be used for armor) you have to kill the animal to get it. Which means herding cows, starting a wheat farm, breeding cows, waiting around for them to grow up, breeding more, and finally killing some off. Alternately you could get lucky with it and just wander the world slaughtering cows with no mind for sustainability, but even then you'd need to find a lot.
Also, bear in mind that cows drop 0-2 leather.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Every animal should just drop 1-2 [animal name] hide on death, each of which you can craft for 2 leather apiece. That way you can get leather armor from the initial meat you gather before caving for iron.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Seriously. 1-2 hides, craft to make 2 leather per hide.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
It should scale up based on animal size. The only really large animal is the cow though, which if one cow resulted in 8-10 leather you'd have a more accurate representation of how much leather you can get from one cow.

Pretty much if you're not drowning in leather, leather armor is a complete waste if we're talking progression.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm pretty sure you need 15 bookshelves to fully charge an enchantment table, which is 45 leather, unless that's changed? You need 90 wood planks, but only 45 books, which are 1 leather and 3 paper each.

You routinely get 24 iron waaaaaaaaaaaay before 24 leather (and need the leather for your enchantment table anyway) and rabbits don't come close to changing that.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Yeah, the hide thing isn't a bad idea, but cows should be an amazing source of leather. One cow should provide a minimum of 4 leather. I mean, poo poo, the idea that you can make one pair of boots out of an entire cow isn't too farfetched.

I'd say one cow/horse hide is equal to eight leather, one pig/sheep hide is equal to four leather, and one rabbit hide is equal to one leather. That way you only need three cows for full leather armour, and about 12 for a full set of bookshelves.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

It's almost as if there's no real design in minecraft and things are just randomly thrown together with no thought to actual gameplay.

Almost.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
No, that's crazy. For that to be the case minecraft would have to have, like, a lovely first-attempt melee system where you just click to swing and there's no cooldown whatsoever so you can just hammer the button and watch your sword arm vibrate through like 4 frames of animation constantly attacking and knocking back enemies exactly the same amount as when they are stuck by any other non-running melee, or arrows for that matter, and with a block move which is nearly completely worthless
furthermore, critical hits
attack animations, which enemies have
experience points
cauldrons
mushroom soup
cats
cookies
villager trading

furnace minecarts

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
To this day I do not actually know how to do a critical hit in combat.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CJacobs posted:

To this day I do not actually know how to do a critical hit in combat.

Jump. Hit enemy on your way down.

Yeah.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hit the enemy while falling.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Let's not get hasty now. Furnace Minecarts are crucial to progressing.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Awesome Animals posted:

Let's not get hasty now. Furnace Minecarts are crucial to progressing.
Unless you're trying to progress uphill.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I wouldn't say there's NO thought in the dev process. There's definitely no sign of any kind of dev roadmap or overall goal or anything like that, though. Everything's a feature they just thought of that would be cool to put in but has no real idea on how to tie anything together or make it work well.

Can anyone tell me the use of pigs when we have cows?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Serifina posted:

Can anyone tell me the use of pigs when we have cows?

You can't get the achievement for riding a pig off a cliff with a cow. :colbert:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I like that they put in the carrot on a stick just so that pig riding could be a thing that you can actually do and then shortly thereafter, horses made sure no one rode a pig ever again

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Combat is so bad it's a joke. There is no game I can think of where combat is this outright frustrating, on account of how unresponsive and obnoxious so much of it is. Knockback is the loving worst. Being bounced between enemies is poo poo. Blocking is dumb because you still get hurt and enemies have such fast attacks there's basically no point. No attack animations exist. The Wither is a dumb boss that you basically have to brute force. Poison damage needs a better cure or a resist/immunity. Critical hits are dumb and bouncing up and down while you fight is ridiculous. Charging attacks are okay but sprinting is poorly designed in this game and even with the long-overdue assigned sprint button sometimes it just seems to not work at random. Even that little TSCCHT sound that happens when you take any damage from any source at all is annoying as hell. I hate it all, tear it down and start over, there's nothing even worth saving.

Also I finally bothered to get the one achievement I never have: On a Rail. The wording always confused me. Do you have to be 1000 blocks or more away from spawn, and ride a track? Nope, it turns out you have to ride a loving minecart for 1000 blocks. Granted that's only like 2.5 whole stacks of iron laid out as rail just so you can get one dumb achievement, but even in creative mode this is dumb and takes forever. It's got to be in a straight line, too.

Even if Microsoft does add a bunch of bad poo poo I'd like to at least see a coherently designed Minecraft game.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

xzzy posted:

You can't get the achievement for riding a pig off a cliff with a cow. :colbert:

Ah, right. What glorious design, right there!

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Can you still block to reduce fall damage?

Because that makes so much sense

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

IronicDongz posted:

I like that they put in the carrot on a stick just so that pig riding could be a thing that you can actually do and then shortly thereafter, horses made sure no one rode a pig ever again

I also like that they made Horse/Pig riding a thing and yet did not allow saddles to be craftable.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Jagged Jim posted:

I also like that they made Horse/Pig riding a thing and yet did not allow saddles to be craftable.

Along with horse armor and name tags. All three items should be craft able and it's bullshit that they can't be.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I'm still mad that you can't craft string.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oggumogoggum posted:

Depending on your frame of reference the planet is hurling itself at you, making a deflection of the incoming attack feasible.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
No, actually. But blocking is still terrible.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Oggumogoggum posted:

No, that was actually removed a long time ago I'm pretty sure. Like back when it was still in beta.

You can still drop a bucket of water at your feet a split-second before landing to negate fall damage, though. It's not that hard if you practice it a bit.

xzzy posted:

Depending on your frame of reference the planet is hurling itself at you, making a deflection of the incoming attack feasible.

The theory is sound. Fighter did it once!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Sometimes the game is a neat little quirky thing.

Other times it's a broken buggy steaming pile.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Taffer posted:

It's almost as if there's no real design in minecraft and things are just randomly thrown together with no thought to actual gameplay.

Almost.

When Notch actually sat down and attempted game design, the result was The End.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
If not for the occasional mod that requires endstone or a dragon egg, there is no reason to ever go to the End. It's beyond pointless. At least you can do some stuff with what you find in the Nether.
Same with ender pearls. Those get used like crazy in mods, but in unmodded Minecraft, they're only ever really used for the ender chest and that's it, unless you count using them to find/unlock strongholds but that's just circular reasoning anyway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't know what you're talking about, it's all worth it for that slick, deep and thoughtful ending Notch put in.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I remember when everyone thought it was an April Fool's joke. And then he just left it in. :negative:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

If not for the occasional mod that requires endstone or a dragon egg, there is no reason to ever go to the End. It's beyond pointless. At least you can do some stuff with what you find in the Nether.
Same with ender pearls. Those get used like crazy in mods, but in unmodded Minecraft, they're only ever really used for the ender chest and that's it, unless you count using them to find/unlock strongholds but that's just circular reasoning anyway.

Hey the end is awesome, you just have to demolish all the endstone and then build a space station.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Vib Rib posted:

I remember when everyone thought it was an April Fool's joke. And then he just left it in. :negative:

In Minecraft it is April 1st forever.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

WELLLLlll, since this is now the time and place to bitch about things you don't like about Minecraft: One thing that I never, ever liked about original-flavor Minecraft is the crafting window requiring you to memorize where to put bits of ingredients. ("Just tab over to a web browser and look it up!" said loving everyone last time I complained). The console versions of Minecraft got it right, just give us an easy-to-use menu, no fuss, no muss, I need TWO clicks to make whatever I need and get back to business immediately.

So if Minecraft going Corporate can give us a few more quality-of-life improvements like that I won't complain.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I'm fairly sure The End exists only so people can speedrun Minecraft, solidifying it not only in the pantheon of high art, but at the pinnacle of eSports.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Speedball posted:

WELLLLlll, since this is now the time and place to bitch about things you don't like about Minecraft: One thing that I never, ever liked about original-flavor Minecraft is the crafting window requiring you to memorize where to put bits of ingredients. ("Just tab over to a web browser and look it up!" said loving everyone last time I complained). The console versions of Minecraft got it right, just give us an easy-to-use menu, no fuss, no muss, I need TWO clicks to make whatever I need and get back to business immediately.

So if Minecraft going Corporate can give us a few more quality-of-life improvements like that I won't complain.

This is why NEI is pretty much the very first mod to be added to everyone's game and outside of Pixelmon packs you won't find a pack without it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sorus posted:

In Minecraft it is April 1st forever.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Sexy, time to turn the spawning space into a cobble box.

They spawn because of the water, there is a way to turn it into a farm, farming over 100000 items per hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpeYiGowqWk

It also shows you the radius of the spawn box.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Combat is so bad it's a joke. There is no game I can think of where combat is this outright frustrating, on account of how unresponsive and obnoxious so much of it is. Knockback is the loving worst. Being bounced between enemies is poo poo. Blocking is dumb because you still get hurt and enemies have such fast attacks there's basically no point. No attack animations exist. The Wither is a dumb boss that you basically have to brute force. Poison damage needs a better cure or a resist/immunity. Critical hits are dumb and bouncing up and down while you fight is ridiculous. Charging attacks are okay but sprinting is poorly designed in this game and even with the long-overdue assigned sprint button sometimes it just seems to not work at random. Even that little TSCCHT sound that happens when you take any damage from any source at all is annoying as hell. I hate it all, tear it down and start over, there's nothing even worth saving.

Also I finally bothered to get the one achievement I never have: On a Rail. The wording always confused me. Do you have to be 1000 blocks or more away from spawn, and ride a track? Nope, it turns out you have to ride a loving minecart for 1000 blocks. Granted that's only like 2.5 whole stacks of iron laid out as rail just so you can get one dumb achievement, but even in creative mode this is dumb and takes forever. It's got to be in a straight line, too.

Even if Microsoft does add a bunch of bad poo poo I'd like to at least see a coherently designed Minecraft game.

I have sgcraft and you can fire stuff through the gates, so what if you can ride a cart through a gate to another gate 1000 blocks away? does that count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

1000? Cripes, in console On A Rail is only 500 meters. Assuming 1 meter = 1 block.