Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

How long ago did Notch make it so that skeletons are peerless snipers that fire off faster than you could ever hope to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I've played with a lot of mods that add more creatures - some fairly complicated like bosses in Twilight Forest - and they're still all just irritating variations on a boring theme. There needs to be a fundamental overhaul of the combat systems before any real interesting progress on new monsters can be made.

Funky Valentine posted:

How long ago did Notch make it so that skeletons are peerless snipers that fire off faster than you could ever hope to?

1.6 or 7.

ToastyPotato posted:

I think there should be a type of spider that shoots cobwebs for you to get stuck in.

This has been done (notably by Infernal Mobs). It's not interesting or fun.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I feel like that was 1.6 for some reason.

Copper Vein posted:

I think my cows are getting out of the big hole I put them in. I built a two block high wall around the hole as well, and there's no extra blocks or ladders on the inside, there shouldn't be any way out.

Yet, every time I boot my save there are fewer cows in my cow-hole then when I left. And sometimes there's a sheep in there.

On the other hand, cows, pigs, sheep, and wolves are spawning in the little plains area I settled in at a rate that makes filling a hole with cows kinda seem pointless. In past games I recall clearing an area of all life and having to travel into an adjacent biome to wrangle more livestock.

This game is on PS4, if that matters.

Oh the three cow pens I have ever built, the one I have in my first town keeps losing a cow. I always find the cows because the entire town is walled off, but I am baffled as to how they are escaping the fences. My guess is that it has something to do with the fact that there is a tree in place of fencing at one spot. This must be allowing them to glitch through some how. I haven't even filled that pen (because of the escapes.) My much more filled pens (one with stone and dirt walls, and the other fully fenced (one fence high) are packed regularly and have never had any escapes. Absolutely baffling.

Ixjuvin posted:

This has been done (notably by Infernal Mobs). It's not interesting or fun.

Well combat in general isn't particularly interesting so there's that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Copper Vein posted:

I think my cows are getting out of the big hole I put them in. I built a two block high wall around the hole as well, and there's no extra blocks or ladders on the inside, there shouldn't be any way out.

Yet, every time I boot my save there are fewer cows in my cow-hole then when I left. And sometimes there's a sheep in there.

On the other hand, cows, pigs, sheep, and wolves are spawning in the little plains area I settled in at a rate that makes filling a hole with cows kinda seem pointless. In past games I recall clearing an area of all life and having to travel into an adjacent biome to wrangle more livestock.

This game is on PS4, if that matters.

They are suffocating in the surrounding blocks and dying. This will happen with any passive mob in a pen, including villagers. You need to surround the hole in glass to prevent this, because Minecraft.

I really want to build a redstone farm, where I trigger a quick pulse to a 9x9 piston area, that pushes/pulls the pistons just fast enough to release all the crops at once. I have no idea how to do this or if it's even possible. All the videos I am finding online for auto-farms are for your typical dumb flooding farms. The best I managed to do last time was rows of 2 on a standard pulse, but I can't even get that to work now for some reason.

Redstone is such garbage.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Jamesman posted:

They are suffocating in the surrounding blocks and dying. This will happen with any passive mob in a pen, including villagers. You need to surround the hole in glass to prevent this, because Minecraft.
I did notice that regardless of the empty space in the big pen, my surviving cows are all constantly shoving their heads into the dirt walls.

Maybe somebody at Mojang got clever and made cow AI detect being penned in and try to escape, and then maybe this causes then to clip through solid blocks and kill themselves.

I didn't use fencing because of an old pen where my chickens kept getting stuck in the fence.

Oddly enough, this go 'round, I've had no weirdness happen down in my chicken-hole.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
The Monoliths or whatever from Dimension Doors were pretty neat/creepy and all they did was stare at you.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Copper Vein posted:

Maybe somebody at Mojang got clever and made cow AI detect being penned in and try to escape,

They definitely do this (it's easy to notice when you're bringing animals into a pen, if you switch off the wheat and aren't quick to the door they bolt straight for it) but I don't think it's specifically designed that way. I think their pathfinding just looks around and identifies the open gate as the straightest line to some open space.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Eric the Mauve posted:

They definitely do this (it's easy to notice when you're bringing animals into a pen, if you switch off the wheat and aren't quick to the door they bolt straight for it) but I don't think it's specifically designed that way. I think their pathfinding just looks around and identifies the open gate as the straightest line to some open space.

I think it's that they select a square of grass to move toward and then repeatedly try to pathfind to that square. Being in a small pen just makes it more likely that they'll pick a square that's outside the pen.

downfall
Jun 23, 2005

Jamesman posted:

I really want to build a redstone farm, where I trigger a quick pulse to a 9x9 piston area, that pushes/pulls the pistons just fast enough to release all the crops at once. I have no idea how to do this or if it's even possible. All the videos I am finding online for auto-farms are for your typical dumb flooding farms. The best I managed to do last time was rows of 2 on a standard pulse, but I can't even get that to work now for some reason.

This is always an option if you'd like to save resources and not hate yourself for building a 9x9 piston grid that will require a stupid amount of redstone. Pushes them left then back right.

If you want to build something really dumb (what else is this game for though, right?) that uses an absurd amount of redstone, you could tile this monstrosity out to 9x9 and run the wiring in such a way that they would all fire at once instead of staggered as they would here (as each row of repeaters turns off.)

downfall fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 24, 2014

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
On the one hand, this is a neat idea, and I view it much more like Terraria's built-in recipe guide. There's a strange sense of wonder and excitement when you find a new item marked "material" and you run back home to show it to the Guide.
On the other hand, there's a number of problems. First and foremost, a lot of people would have no interest in writing their own notes -- personally, a lot of things about Minecraft I just remember automatically, and don't need to write down. For instance, the only things I think I'd actually need to write down are some of the recipes. Second, to avoid just a slog of reading, there would have to be a really interesting UI that mixes all sorts of informative tips and visual elements in order to display things as quickly and illustratively as possible, using various kinds of diagrams or readouts and a minimal amount of just plain text. Third, it might be hard to keep track of, especially just the new info, and even moreso if the player has to organize it themselves. And lastly, there would have to be some way of ensuring it would be maintained throughout the player's lifetime worlds. Hell, I'm still annoyed at having to do basic achievements over every time I play a new version. I definitely wouldn't want to put together a journal from scratch every time. Stuff like that is why Thaumcraft's research and Mystcraft's page gathering bore me to tears. Once was fine, doing it again is torture.

Also, this probably goes without saying, but it wouldn't change the fact most people would still just throw together a wiki and tab out for that.
I think it would work best for an entirely new game, whose basic gameplay and world are more structured around that, rather than just as a Minecraft mod.

I do like the idea of enchants being randomized per world, yet consistent within it. Gives some reason to experiment, as well as a tangible reward for doing so. Same with potions. When cauldrons were first introduced as these nebulous potion-mixers and Jeb was debating how to change them, just as he was implementing brewing stands, I think I remember actually sending him a tweet asking him for world-seed-based potions. Would've been interesting, if nothing else.

And as long as I'm being negative on the game's design features, all the dumb combat changes will forever pale in comparison to the fact that Skeletons become gatling guns at close range. Why the gently caress do they shoot FASTER at close range? Why. This is and always will be the dumbest combat change ever.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Vib Rib posted:

And as long as I'm being negative on the game's design features, all the dumb combat changes will forever pale in comparison to the fact that Skeletons become gatling guns at close range. Why the gently caress do they shoot FASTER at close range? Why. This is and always will be the dumbest combat change ever.
Have no gameplay experience with this, but an educated guess as a programmer and gamer says that's probably because skeletons initiate their next arrow as soon as the previous one has hit something.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Actually no, they don't. The close-range-rapid-fire thing is intentional and supposed to simulate how players are able to fire arrows more quickly by not drawing them back as much(thus getting less distance, so skellies do that up close only).

It's dumb.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

downfall posted:

If you want to build something really dumb (what else is this game for though, right?) that uses an absurd amount of redstone, you could tile this monstrosity out to 9x9 and run the wiring in such a way that they would all fire at once instead of staggered as they would here (as each row of repeaters turns off.)

Something like this, yeah. I'm doing a farmhouse, so I need an up/down movement to pop all the crops out.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

IronicDongz posted:

Actually no, they don't. The close-range-rapid-fire thing is intentional and supposed to simulate how players are able to fire arrows more quickly by not drawing them back as much(thus getting less distance, so skellies do that up close only).
Easy fix: Arrows don't do knockback anymore.
Or at most, only do knockback if they're fully-charged crit arrows.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Vib Rib posted:

Or at least Skele arrows have no knockback or very little, which is fine since skele arrows seem different from normal ones anyway (they can't be picked up.)

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Jamesman posted:

downfall posted:

I built one of those for the mushroom farms on the old server I used to run for me and my nephews. It was totally bitchin, but yeah, ridiculous amount of redstone to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7jGSyAhN1s&t=504s

Eventually did it for a whole wheat farm and my carrot & potato farms as well. This was back before redstone blocks existed and I was basically drowning in the stuff, so why the hell not.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Sethbling/some guy made a thing for choosing which painting you want to place by hotbar selection (via tons of command blocks), which is a cool solution to a really dumb problem in Minecraft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-ret8gQmQM

3:30 onwards he just talks about his channel.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vib Rib posted:

Knockback should always have been variable based on damage dealt.

ToastyPotato posted:

Or at least Skele arrows have no knockback or very little, which is fine since skele arrows seem different from normal ones anyway (they can't be picked up.)
Q: Why do skelly arrows even stay stuck in things in the first place instead of just going away when they land since you can't take them?
A: Notch appears out of thin air, winks cheekily. The words "GET hosed" materialize on the computer screen very slowly and wreathed in a fine mist of lighting errors.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is there a website with blueprints or plans for those of us without the imagination to make buildings from scratch?

Because I really, really suck at it. :sigh:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

Q: Why do skelly arrows even stay stuck in things in the first place instead of just going away when they land since you can't take them?

A: So they can fall on your head after you mine the block they're stuck in, dealing full shot-in-the-face-by-a-skeleton amounts of damage despite lazily falling half a meter.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

IronicDongz posted:

Knockback should always have been variable based on damage dealt.
A: Notch appears out of thin air, winks cheekily. The words "GET hosed" materialize on the computer screen very slowly and wreathed in a fine mist of lighting errors.
Its just good 'ol indie charm.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Boat posted:

A: So they can fall on your head after you mine the block they're stuck in, dealing full shot-in-the-face-by-a-skeleton amounts of damage despite lazily falling half a meter.

and also so that you can do that thing where you use skellies spawned from a skelly grinder to coat the top of a TNT block in literally dozens of arrows, so that it flings arrows loving everywhere when it explodes

of course, though, there's the invincibility frames on hit

so that doesn't really do anything!

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
There's probably some leftover code about that back when you could pick up skeleton arrows. And I think that was the only way to collect arrows in the original survival test version.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is there a way to manually find the resource pack folder in OSX? The damned thing isn't opening.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Fuego Fish posted:

I'm a bit ambivalent about the typical "generic rpg monster squad" being in Minecraft. I know it's handy shorthand for players who know just what to expect from the critters in question, but it's just so loving lazy. It's like someone just said "well it's supposed to be an RPG, so I better put in slimes, and skeletons with bows, and experience points, and 10x10 dungeon rooms" and hey presto the bare minimum was achieved.

I generally like the way skeletons work in Minecraft. Their weird little clicking sounds are almost musical, and they convey the presence of something that shouldn't actually be producing sound.
The cave noise is the same. It's kind of cool how they managed to link a foreboding, deep rumbling to something that you'd otherwise never hear.

Mister Macys posted:

Is there a way to manually find the resource pack folder in OSX? The damned thing isn't opening.

It's under Library/Application\ Support/minecraft. Sometimes the folder doesn't exist, yet. Then you just have to make your own resourcepacks-folder.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dpbjinc posted:

I think it's that they select a square of grass to move toward and then repeatedly try to pathfind to that square. Being in a small pen just makes it more likely that they'll pick a square that's outside the pen.

This is how all creatures work. It's why you can pen villagers inside a wall and they will manage to crawl across rooftops and the tops of fences to take the one circuitous route to escape that you missed.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

And More posted:

The cave noise is the same. It's kind of cool how they managed to link a foreboding, deep rumbling to something that you'd otherwise never hear.

What about all those drat underground trains?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Cheez posted:

What about all those drat underground trains?

That's just the beast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOhRhq6Pr6g&t=2348s

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Vib Rib posted:

I think it would work best for an entirely new game, whose basic gameplay and world are more structured around that, rather than just as a Minecraft mod.

Thing is, Minecraft is supposed to be about exploration, yet there's no halfway point between "dive in with both feet and figure everything out by trial and error" and "check wiki which has extensive information on absolutely everything".

I never thought of journals being world-specific (besides the bits about potions and enchantments, I suppose) because even when starting a new world, you're still going to remember stuff yourself, so why put people through the bother of having to fill in blanks repeatedly? Maybe there could be a "reset journal" button somewhere in the options, for those who want a challenge and/or enjoy masochism.

I guess that it kind of spun off from my ideas about more block variation per biome and so on, because if there were enough new variations on blocks (new types of stone, tree, flower, etc.) then the game would have an exploration element. You'd come across something new and see a "journal updated" popup, and start figuring out what you could do with it.

Call me a sucker for exploration over things like redstone automation, castle building, or combat. Although I guess nobody likes combat, so...

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fuego Fish posted:

Call me a sucker for exploration over things like redstone automation, castle building, or combat. Although I guess nobody likes combat, so...

Well the combat in Minecraft could be more interesting and has some potential but as is it's just belligerently tedious. The primary way of dealing with zombies is "wall myself off, put torches everywhere, gently caress zombies goddamn." If it wasn't literally just a continuous stream of monsters every drat night it could actually be interesting but the monsters are just a nuisance. But if you want to progress (The End lol) you need to farm Endermen, which means dealing with hordes of baddies that just charge at you in a constant stream and God help you if you end up with no arrows and five skeletons shooting you all at once.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Well the combat in Minecraft could be more interesting and has some potential but as is it's just belligerently tedious. The primary way of dealing with zombies is "wall myself off, put torches everywhere, gently caress zombies goddamn." If it wasn't literally just a continuous stream of monsters every drat night it could actually be interesting but the monsters are just a nuisance. But if you want to progress (The End lol) you need to farm Endermen, which means dealing with hordes of baddies that just charge at you in a constant stream and God help you if you end up with no arrows and five skeletons shooting you all at once.

I think the rube goldberg deathtraps are the interesting part of minecraft combat. The FPS elements mostly suck. I'd be curious what a mod with no actual weapons, just more autonomous traps etc felt like.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Macys posted:

Is there a website with blueprints or plans for those of us without the imagination to make buildings from scratch?

Because I really, really suck at it. :sigh:

There's this site which occasionally has schematics files. You can either use MCEdit to plop them down in your world directly, or use something like Schematic2Blueprint to turn them into step-by-step building guides.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Anias posted:

I think the rube goldberg deathtraps are the interesting part of minecraft combat. The FPS elements mostly suck. I'd be curious what a mod with no actual weapons, just more autonomous traps etc felt like.

I actually kind of want a Minecraft clone that's focused on FPS combat. There's loads of other stuff to do in the game, the combat is just balls awful and probably can't get better without being completely changed.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I actually kind of want a Minecraft clone that's focused on FPS combat. There's loads of other stuff to do in the game, the combat is just balls awful and probably can't get better without being completely changed.

There was a kind of cruddy game on XBox Live Indie called Castleminer Z where you had a gun and shot at zombies while mining chunks out of the ground to get sulpher for bullets.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's actually a billion of these games out there, of varying levels of quality. Both mobile and Steam markets are lousy with them.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The one thing that I like about Minecraft combat is that for the most part (slimes/magma slimes and zombies/wither skeletons being some example exceptions) all the mobs are differemt in some way. In the way they move, react to the player or attack.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Give mobs attack animations with some sort of windup and don't just cause constant hurt around them whenever your hurt invincibility wears off

Your attacks also have an animation, perhaps different weapons with different properties so your sword thrusts forward for best damage but the axe swings horizontally so it can hit multiple enemies but doesn't hurt as much

Only making those improvements would massively increase the complexity, and if you give enough leeway to the tells for attacks and your own block move it'll still be simple enough for the kids. With the crowds of monsters you often face having long windups isn't even that huge of a deal.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Zombies, Spiders, Pigmen, Jockeys, Killer Bunny, Wither Skeleton, Endermite, Zombie Villager: Walk towards you and bump into you

Skeletons, Blazes, Ghasts, Witches: Stand still and shoot a projectile towards you

The only ones I can think of that do something different are Guardians (timed laser thing and the puff-out melee attack), Endermen (they have their waiting/ambush mechanic), Silverfish (tunneling) and Creepers (explode)

E: "Bump" damage, or just being hurt by a monster by touching it, are old-school unfun legacy mechanics in basically any game I think of that use it.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 24, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Blazes and Ghasts move and fly, the later away from you and much higher. Witches poison you. Pigmen are not initially hostile. You don't deal with or react to them the same at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pigmen are faster and bring friends, too.

For all the flaws Minecraft has, mob variety is not one of them. Every single one of them has an identifiable personality, which is actually pretty neat.

Except for the pygmy variants they've been adding, those are just a giant middle finger to players who abuse block placement to trivialize fights. There's not much creativity to that.