Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Jamesman posted:

I have mob griefing turned off, so ghasts won't blow up any blocks, but I will still have to worry about the fires left behind from their shots. Which means wood can't be used.

That's better than nothing! But also I hope you have infinite health because the thing about ghasts shooting at you all the time is that you're going to be murdered by ghasts. Or blasted off the edge of your compound and into the ocean of lava below, which is much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Iny posted:

That's better than nothing! But also I hope you have infinite health because the thing about ghasts shooting at you all the time is that you're going to be murdered by ghasts. Or blasted off the edge of your compound and into the ocean of lava below, which is much worse.

Not really a problem with some properly enchanted armor and a spare potion of fire resistance. It really is effective invincibility. (Also with Depth Strider III and fire resistance you can effectively sprint across the lava seas now.)

Jamesman: I can't imagine you could possibly use more sand/sandstone than an average sized Desert biome contains. Harvesting it all is something of a chore but no worse than 50 other things in Minecraft.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tollymain posted:

my verisimilitude demands that sand used to destroy lava automatically becomes glass

joking aside, what's the state of this game these days? i stopped playing years ago
As someone who got back in after well over a year of not touching it, there's a ton of new stuff. Tons of new biomes, tons of worldgen options, enchanting, breeding, block types, villages with villagers(who are intensely stupid) etc. Just make sure to always play with the cheat option enabled and available because sometimes bugs happen. Or you get sick of grinding for XP after hours of it and decide to just /xp 10000000 yourself

The various temples are neat, I found an ocean temple yesterday and it was pretty intense making my way through it, I nearly died a ton of times trying to find that third loving elder guardian. The mining fatigue gimmick is a fantastic idea to disable your ability to just dig straight through the temple until you find and kill the elder guardians. Once I beat it I began harvesting the whole drat temple because I like the look of all the Prismarine blocks. Went into creative mode to spam sponges to get rid of the water source blocks that spawn surrounding the temple at generation but once I got rid of that I've been doing it by hand with the 30 sponges I found myself in the temple, makes for an interesting challenge trying to fend off the infinitely-spawning guardians while I'm harvesting all the blocks.

I'm sure with mods it'd be even more amazing than vanilla currently is but ever since that one old Yogbox with the various additions to the Nether(chests and stuff randomly hidden in the netherrack), the dozens of various weather patterns, millenaire, mo creatures, quick-mined obsidian, treecapitator, etc I've not really been able to get into any new modpacks. That one pack was the perfect one for me and then I accidentally updated minecraft and I can't remember exactly what pack it was or I'd go back to playing it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

feigning interest posted:

Why not used hardened clay? You can dye it any color and it has the same blast resistance as stone.

Clay/Hardened Clay is a bitch to get and I don't particularly think it looks great for Nether building.

Iny posted:

We'll see how it goes. I'm intending to remove the lava oceans too, and the Nether rebuild SHOULD reduce the ghast spawns. We'll see how committed I am to all of this though. It might end up being really terrible to do and the end results might still make the Nether loving dumb so it won't be worth doing it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Customized worldgen is really really cool and you definitely will enjoy sinking some hours just into tinkering with it if you haven't seen it before.

e: And yeah, to get a lot of hardened clay you have to find a Mesa biome. Getting it by harvesting clay is not practical, it's bad enough just trying to get enough bricks to build anything significant.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 25, 2014

Quantum Milkman
Jun 18, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm sure with mods it'd be even more amazing than vanilla currently is but ever since that one old Yogbox with the various additions to the Nether(chests and stuff randomly hidden in the netherrack), the dozens of various weather patterns, millenaire, mo creatures, quick-mined obsidian, treecapitator, etc I've not really been able to get into any new modpacks. That one pack was the perfect one for me and then I accidentally updated minecraft and I can't remember exactly what pack it was or I'd go back to playing it.

Yogbox is still available in the Technic launcher, if you really want to play it. I don't know if that's the one you're thinking of, but that's the only Yogbox I remember playing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Quantum Milkman posted:

Yogbox is still available in the Technic launcher, if you really want to play it. I don't know if that's the one you're thinking of, but that's the only Yogbox I remember playing.

Yeah. It's a specific version of the Yogbox that wasn't carried over past that one version though, it had...mystical ores? Or something? It added a bunch of various new ores and the ability to craft obsidian tools and such. It's so old now though that going back to that version of minecraft would take it back pre-enchanting even, I think.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

While it wouldn't be exactly the same, lots of modpacks these days have features very similar to what you're describing. Not everything is just tech packs.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Is there a way to change the game's language, but keep the menus in English?

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah. It's a specific version of the Yogbox that wasn't carried over past that one version though, it had...mystical ores? Or something? It added a bunch of various new ores and the ability to craft obsidian tools and such. It's so old now though that going back to that version of minecraft would take it back pre-enchanting even, I think.

Did it have RPG features as well? I have an old, Beta 1.7? 1.8? Yogbox save with everything you described as well as a recipe book and an RPG system. I play it every so often for a bit until I start absolutely hating the old armor system (or, weirdly, XP. I've never found XP to be used that effectively even in mods, but christ do I miss collecting random doodads once I can't)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Old Greg posted:

Did it have RPG features as well? I have an old, Beta 1.7? 1.8? Yogbox save with everything you described as well as a recipe book and an RPG system. I play it every so often for a bit until I start absolutely hating the old armor system (or, weirdly, XP. I've never found XP to be used that effectively even in mods, but christ do I miss collecting random doodads once I can't)

Yeah, that sounds like it. Seems Mystic Ores didn't update past beta 1.7, so probably around there.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
After playing on a modded world for awhile, I think what Minecraft really needs is overworld dungeons that go deep underground. The server I'm on has a mod for it, and it's mostly done well, but it looks quite messy. However it goes a long ways towards making the game less tedious. Tired of resource gathering and building? Hop in a nearby dungeon and try to fight your way down different levels.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mineshafts were a pretty good idea, but they're way too repetitive. And Strongholds are too rare.

The generation for underground needs a big overhaul in general.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Remora posted:

Use John Smith Legacy, Diorite is blue there.

John Smith is a lovely texture pack and I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
Haven't played the game for about a year now. Is there a way to use command block magic to make pigmen trade like villagers? Maybe have overlapping armor stands, ridden by an invisible no-ai villager and a pigman? Dunno if collision detection works for "riding" entities.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

Mineshafts were a pretty good idea, but they're way too repetitive. And Strongholds are too rare.

The generation for underground needs a big overhaul in general.

It needs vertical rails with vertical carts doing the same things as the horizontal ones. A little thing, but would add more fun.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

OK, weird request: years ago, when Minecraft was just getting huge, someone on the official forums (I think, or maybe it was Reddit, I don't know) was trying to shame someone else for not wanting to play Minecraft and that the person would rather have sex instead. It was like the textbook definition of grognard.txt (or gamers.txt), and it was something like 'you mean you'd rather stick your wiener in some girl's piss slit than enjoy the endless wonder that is building in Minecraft?'. My quote isn't exact, but yes, I think the dude actually used the term 'piss slit'. I was just reminded of this, and now I think I'm going crazy, since I can't seem to find it. I don't know how finding it is going to make my life better in any possible way, but hey, whatever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
To remind yourself that no matter how sad and pathetic you are, there's always someone worse?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Captain Invictus posted:

To remind yourself that no matter how sad and pathetic you are, there's always someone worse?

Yes! That's why, thanks! :unsmith:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is rather a good post because it proves quite handily that said person has never been near a 'piss slit' or they'd know that it doesn't actually work like that.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

OwlFancier posted:

That is rather a good post because it proves quite handily that said person has never been near a 'piss slit' or they'd know that it doesn't actually work like that.

My girlfriend aged 23 just found out that pee does not come out of your vaginal canal when I told her the other day. I think it's a pretty common thing to not know where women's pee comes from. Her friend was amazed as well when she told her.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Command Blocks are loving amazing. GenerikB just posted a video showing how he was able to make a turkey in Minecraft using them.

http://youtu.be/PmJQZgfB9cs

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jamesman posted:

Command Blocks are loving amazing. GenerikB just posted a video showing how he was able to make a turkey in Minecraft using them.

drat, man, that's crazy. These things never cease to amaze me.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah command blocks are pretty amazing and I really wish more adventure maps took advantage of them.

I posted a while back about someone who made tiny little birds using command blocks that you could tame and breed. They would grow as the age, have special drops, unique abilities, could take damage and die, build nests, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96OCQmwIs4w

Watch the video all the way through, it shows off a custom crafting table that has animations and a personal flying machine.

Been also seeing people making various crafting machines using command blocks, like an advanced furnace, a grinder that reverts blocks into base components, etc.

Edit:

I just watched the turkey video. :cripes:

Enzer fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 29, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It bothers me that they tend to do it with crazy armour stand hacks, because it does tend to mean it's more vulnerable to messing up. I wish they'd just make them able to do stuff like this directly.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, all this stuff is neat, but it can be done cleaner and faster with mods. It's amazing to see what they can accomplish, but I guess I don't see the purpose, other than to put themselves through the challenge.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Finally, an appropriate use of command blocks.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, all this stuff is neat, but it can be done cleaner and faster with mods. It's amazing to see what they can accomplish, but I guess I don't see the purpose, other than to put themselves through the challenge.

It is mostly designed for adventure maps and allows map creators to package a map without forcing the players to download and install a mod pack. But yeah, beyond that, easier to do with mods.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Enzer posted:

It is mostly designed for adventure maps and allows map creators to package a map without forcing the players to download and install a mod pack. But yeah, beyond that, easier to do with mods.

With any of the major launchers it's easier to download maps via packs than doing it the "normal" way anyway.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Taffer posted:

With any of the major launchers it's easier to download maps via packs than doing it the "normal" way anyway.

True, but I am talking about adventure maps outside of the scope of things like Agrarian Skies, maps like Herobrine's Mansion and Return benefit from stuff like command blocks more so than mods that are currently available and not everyone wishes to download a separate launcher or those who don't trust in third party launchers after the kerfuffle with how the ATLauncher was handling player tokens.

Stuff like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqjzWQ_lXxg

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1CML3PdVUU

Benefits from command blocks, every other map I've seen that uses mods more or less boils down to "Grind through tech progression with various restrictions to hinder you".. really anything that uses the Hardcore Questing Mode mod kind of falls into that category because no one seems to want to try something different with it and everyone is just cribbing off of AS's success.

Sky Den was one of the few Modded Maps that really tried something different, but the map still had to be built around the rules of the mods it included.

I guess it just depends on what kind of Adventure Map it is. Storyline driven Adventure Maps that follow a direct pathing and story through set pieces benefit more from Command Blocks while Adventure Maps that are more Challenge related benefit from mods. Both have their place, just depends on what you are wanting to achieve. :)

Enzer fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 29, 2014

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
I am infinity times more iterested in command block magic then I am in mods. I don't know why really. I guess i just love artificial limitations and extremly janky and obtuse mechanics.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I made a second base a decent distance away from my main one, dug out a 5x5 shaft down to bedrock (just for aesthetics really, easy to build stairs going around it with a 3x3 hole in the middle). Once I hit bottom I just dug straight out in the four carinal directions, hit diamond in each branch within 5-8 minutes or so of tunneling :hellyeah: I've left 'em there for now though, have died a few times (mostly from creepers sneaking up behind me) so getting back up to level 30 so I can try for Fortune III on a pickaxe to maximize my harvest. I may just suck it up and get Fortune II though, I spent a while trying before with no luck.

I changed the language to Australian English, it's pretty tongue-in-cheek. (Furnace = Barbie, Netherrack = DownUnder Rock, Ender Chest = dropbox, etc).

edit: I guess I missed it due to my lovely reading comprehension; was going to settle for Fortune II when I finally go it, when I go to put a fresh diamond pickaxe on the enchanting table it was Fortune III (came with Effeciency III as well). With that I was able to mine those diamonds I found to give me almost a stack, got some diamond Depth Strider boots now, might pimp out a helmet with the Aqua Affinity and Respiration III books I have too so I'm good to go whenever I find an undersea monument.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 29, 2014

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Looting III is really nice too. It makes food a cinch (even slaughtering like six cows will give you around 20 steaks, which will last you a good while) and it makes Ender Pearls easy to farm--a stack of Ender Pearls is surprisingly helpful for getting around if you can tank the damage. And once you've found a stronghold, five minutes in The End with a Looting III sword will yield you about four stacks of Ender Pearls.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thought I'd try out armor stands for the first time. Made a couple, put some leather armor on them for testing. They looked neat.

Headed off to build something, but came right back because I forgot one material.

Minecraft.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
And what am I supposed to be looking at in that picture?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I find it amazing that creepers are still a threat to people if they've got even iron armor. What do they do, like 3 hearts of damage at that point?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

And what am I supposed to be looking at in that picture?

Armor stand stuck in the floor.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm pretty sure on Hard a direct-contact Creeper blast is still a one-hit kill even with full iron armor if you don't right-click-parry, though to take a direct hit you'd have to have yourself totally cornered or be playing with sound effects turned off or something.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm pretty sure on Hard a direct-contact Creeper blast is still a one-hit kill even with full iron armor if you don't right-click-parry, though to take a direct hit you'd have to have yourself totally cornered or be playing with sound effects turned off or something.

Sometimes they fall from above and explode instantly without a warning sound. On hard that still kills you in one-shot with iron armor at full HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Here's an embarrassingly simplistic question, but I'm out of gas and tired of watching 9-minute YouTube walkthroughs that fail to answer something so straightforward. This may constitute laziness, but I have to think this will take someone ~60 seconds.

I want to do minecart switching by remote lever, i.e. have a lever that switches the track 8-10 blocks further down. What is the easiest way to do this? Shouldn't a lever connected via redstone dust to a block adjacent to the track junction do it, or do I need another something there, or what?