Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Friend and I have been playing in a server I'm running on my computer. I always enjoyed when people shared screenshots of their buildings so I figured I'd return the favor.

We started off just by working on the house. We thought the view was great so I decided the next project was working on a way to get up and down the mountain easily.

I came up with the idea, thanks to some youtube tutorials, to build a piston elevator. It works going both up and down.

Finally here is my friend forgetting that Iron Man can't fly without creative.
/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Nice work, I must try a piston elevator! I've basically finished a large project of my own, my minecraft terrarium.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I know this isn't the modding thread, and I'm not interested in actually doing any modding myself, I just want Rei's (now Zan's?) Minimap. Holy gently caress, do I not want to use Forge or any poo poo like that. My googling is failing me, does ANYONE know where I can find a decent mapping tool (same or near identical functionality to Rei's) for Minecraft 1.8.3?

I swear to god, the Minecraft modding scene is as disjointed as humanly loving possible :psyduck:

You have to have forge (or something similar but worse like liteloader) to use a minimap mods. That's how it works.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Taffer posted:

You have to have forge (or something similar but worse like liteloader) to use a minimap mods. That's how it works.

drat, really? Ok, so is Forge still horrible? I remember it being horrible, but maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

drat, really? Ok, so is Forge still horrible? I remember it being horrible, but maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

Isn't just a thing you download and drop in a folder or two? And then it just kind of "works" with other Forge mods.

Also, I like Journey Map a little better than Rei's, though I guess Rei's has simplicity going for it, or did, I haven't used it in forever.

Unmined is an external application, but it is probably the most versatile of any option you might find. I usually have it running when playing vanilla.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

You probably are. Forge doesn't do anything by itself and it's easy to install. It just allows mods to... Do modding things.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Have there been any updates to the way redstone connections work in the last ~2 years that would have broken this blaze grinder? Despite doing the half slab next to the upper sticky piston like he says at 11:56, the lever for the holding piston (upper) still activates both the upper and lower sticky piston. The button for the suffocation piston also causes the holding piston to briefly activate (after a number of ticks). Pretty sure I copied it exactly...

So I rebuilt this at another spawner and it's working fine. Or at least, the redstone components are.

I forgot about blazes being able to see you through walls and trying to attack in 1.8 (I don't know how, with all the drat racket as I was building it :saddowns:), which keeps them flying around and not falling into the bottom to get ground up. Is there anything I can do to keep them from spotting me, while staying close enough for the to spawn? Just hang out in an invisibility potion?

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 17, 2015

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Forge was the attempt to unify and simplify modding. It does OK at that

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
it'd be nice if they built an actual minimal into the game. maybe use beacons as they are but allow players to tag them with a name or something.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, haven't played this since let's see, when the Nether first got put in the alpha or beta or whichever it was. Decided to give it a whirl today. I see it still destroys time. I was only going to play it for an hour, but then I got carried away.

Might try it not on peaceful too now there's a solid objective. And by the looks of things you have to have enemies to be able to go to the End.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

McDragon posted:

Well, haven't played this since let's see, when the Nether first got put in the alpha or beta or whichever it was. Decided to give it a whirl today. I see it still destroys time. I was only going to play it for an hour, but then I got carried away.

Might try it not on peaceful too now there's a solid objective. And by the looks of things you have to have enemies to be able to go to the End.

Definitely check out the Limecraft and Nameless goon-run servers in PGS, they're great, free servers to play on.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Thanks for the tip, might give it a look.

Got a bit mad at the End so I made myself a portal next to my house, consoled myself a load of ladders and arrows and stuff, and went and cheesed the dragon on Peaceful. What a nightmare that place is. I swear the fuckers run in front of your crosshairs on purpose sometimes, and I can't count the number of times the dragon either ripped up a ladder while I was trying to climb or just plain old punched me a mile into the air. Still, I like the big metal clank noise he makes when you hit him.

Made a fresh world to try out the Wither as well, and I'm guessing you're supposed to fight it with friends? Couldn't even plink him fast enough with arrows to beat his regeneration, then he got mad and bombed me into the floor. Although I can't really fault the game for boss fights seeming bad. It's just not something I find works in this, whereas in Terraria the fighting is a much bigger focus. I'm more of an exploring stuff person in Minecraft

Also had a lot of fun messing about in Creative as well. I just love messing with TNT and lava and water and sand in this. I think villages are new for me, had good fun flying round wrecking some poor village as well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hey Minecraft University Guy, couple suggestions for the app:

1. Include all information within the app itself, rather than have external links to the site. I don't know if that's something you're willing to do, since you do have and maintain the site, but I know I'd appreciate it.

2. More detail about items. Like sperg-level stuff. I know you include block IDs, which is great, but just now, I got to thinking about how to repair chain armour, and immediately tried to find the answer via your app. I didn't find the answer (which is 'iron', btw), unless it's there, and I just missed it. In other words, it'd be great if your app (and by extension, site) was the be-all, end-all reference guide to the base game. I'd prefer it over the MC wiki, honestly.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

McDragon posted:

Made a fresh world to try out the Wither as well, and I'm guessing you're supposed to fight it with friends? Couldn't even plink him fast enough with arrows to beat his regeneration, then he got mad and bombed me into the floor.

Potions and enchanted gear are your friends here. It's also entirely worth dropping 81 gold on an apple for the ridiculous regen it gives you.

Then again, I never play without keepInventory on these days, because gently caress the Ender Dragon booting you and all your gear into the void before the End has even finished loading for you.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Have there been any updates to the way redstone connections work in the last ~2 years that would have broken this blaze grinder? Despite doing the half slab next to the upper sticky piston like he says at 11:56, the lever for the holding piston (upper) still activates both the upper and lower sticky piston. The button for the suffocation piston also causes the holding piston to briefly activate (after a number of ticks). Pretty sure I copied it exactly...

Pompous Rhombus posted:

So I rebuilt this at another spawner and it's working fine. Or at least, the redstone components are.

I forgot about blazes being able to see you through walls and trying to attack in 1.8 (I don't know how, with all the drat racket as I was building it :saddowns:), which keeps them flying around and not falling into the bottom to get ground up. Is there anything I can do to keep them from spotting me, while staying close enough for the to spawn? Just hang out in an invisibility potion?

For whatever reason, this seems to be working fine now (blazes don't see me through the walls and aggro/fly up. They will sometimes start fighting each other, but they seem to reset if I duck out through the portal and back in again.

I was actually lucky enough to find two blaze spawners pretty much right next to each other in this fort, so I've built a pair of grinders below. The amount of XP you get just by going AFK for a few minutes to let the spawns build up is pretty awesome, at this point I don't really have to worry about levels for the anvil/enchanting table anymore. I did skip making the spawner on/off toggle with the lava and hoppers, which I'd recommend for anyone who wants to do non XP-farming/enchanting stuff near their grinders, as all the spawns start really lagging the game.

I still have yet to come across a skeleton spawner, but the game seems to have finally broken its stinginess with Infinity enchants (I went ages without seeing one, then after the first it seems to be regularly recurring) so I suppose it's immaterial now.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Time for another picture dump. Been working on my world a bit here and there, just messing around.

Link to old post.

We'll start this time with the docks inside the walls.

Conspicuous doors leads to...

A hallway and another door...

Which opens to a bar....

The bars kitchen.

Now lets take a look around the market. I've added a restaurant, an apothecary, and a storage building.

Restaurant

Stall behind the restaurant.

Front view of the apothecary.

Stall behind the apothecary.

The Storage Building.

The rest of the apothecary.

The inside of the apothecary.

Upper floor.

Bookshelf stairs.

Attic.

I remodeled my farm quite a bit. Wasn't really happy with how it originally turned out. Loving this version of it though. It's quite a bit more open, plus I think it looks a bit more like a barn.

I built a shipbuilding dock just next to the farm.

You can see this crane in the first farm shot. It's going to service a wood foresting area and wood mill...once I build them.

I've worked a bit more on the entrance to the walled area. I built a guild hall on the top of the wall for jarls to meet.

Here's a view of the backside of the guild hall.

Here's the inside of the upper floor of the guild hall.

High King's Chair.

What's a good king without a little preparation?

This lever is below the guild hall. It controls the lava that dumps down into the gatehouse area. You can see it in the picture above.

This is a view of the inside of the wall below the guild hall. The lever room is in the small corridor you can see just above the fence.

Here's a view with the lava flow shut off. Lines up with the moon and sun.

Here's two night shots just for kicks.

This is a new wall that I'm building around a quarry just up over the hill from my other walled area. There will be a small castle connected to it all as well.

I have to say though...my favorite spot is still that little camp I made with my buddy.

Ninja Edit:

Here are some shots of my place on Farside's Server.

Across from my build is this awesome view. I had to make the pond myself.

And that flattened area is a spawning area I use to level...pretty fun way to get levels.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Okay, if you're not going to spawn me on a deserted island, then I'll just /gamemode creative and fly around till I find one...

Six to eight hours later, mostly waiting for trees to grow...

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

That's getting more awesome, dude. I love how people use their custom texture mods to the greatest effect, that's an organic village you're creating.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Speaking of custom texture packs, I'm beginning the long road of updating SMP's Revival pack to 1.8 using old personal archives of his work and what few textures he got done for 1.8 before he disappeared. Got a ton of work getting various property files for the CTM working nicely.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

ewe2 posted:

That's getting more awesome, dude. I love how people use their custom texture mods to the greatest effect, that's an organic village you're creating.

Thank you. That's really the feel I've been going for. I've got plans to expand it out and include multiple towns in this map. It'll give me the chance to build in different pallets and styles.

I built the resource pack from John Smith and Conquest. I pulled some of the 3D models for conquest and threw them in as well. It makes for some really cool settings. I also pulled the clouds from the Halcyon Days pack.

It was a huge pain compiling it, but the alternate textures they built in are amazing! It's allowed me to do some of the things you needed optifine and connected textures for in the past.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Thanks Ark, I'm going to be inspired by (outright stealing) a bunch of those things for my new PS4 world I'm working on. Love that crane.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Hey all

So I am playing over at Unseeable Minecraft Server (http://216.86.148.111/showthread.php?threadid=3661782), and we've been working on a coastal city, Golden Cove. It's very much a WIP but we've got maybe 6-7 people working on it now, with room for plenty more!

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Feel free to join us! We're at 590, -1640, or there is a warp at spawn that dumps you to and from the city.

Here's some photos of the work so far. TStill need a flag if anyone is good at that!

Overhead Views:

Front:

Back:

Farm

Some Housing

Church

Temple

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Smoked the Ender Dragon (not really even a challenge with enchanted diamond armor, I think I used two Potions of Healing II for the whole fight?), figured it was time to move beyond Vanilla.

I went to install Forge, 1.8 seems to work fine, but when I tried installing 1.7.10 (which seems to be the version most mods require), the launcher spits this at me when I try to launch with the 1.7.10 Forge profile I created:

quote:

17:27:30] [main/INFO] [STDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable:printStackTrace:464]: at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
[etc]

The 1.7 Vanilla profile I created works fine, for whatever that's worth. Any ideas?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Smoked the Ender Dragon (not really even a challenge with enchanted diamond armor, I think I used two Potions of Healing II for the whole fight?), figured it was time to move beyond Vanilla.

I went to install Forge, 1.8 seems to work fine, but when I tried installing 1.7.10 (which seems to be the version most mods require), the launcher spits this at me when I try to launch with the 1.7.10 Forge profile I created:

The 1.7 Vanilla profile I created works fine, for whatever that's worth. Any ideas?

Rather than install forge yourself, use MultiMC. It can handle it for you and makes dealing with everything modded much less of a chore.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I see that there isn't a console minecraft thread so I have to improvise. I have a question that's glitch related. I just now started a game and when i'm tunneling underground sometimes no block will come out and when I come back up they are all on the ground at ground level so i'm guessing they are getting teleported up there somehow. I have never had this happen any other time, has anyone had this glitch before and know what would cause it? If you need more information i'll be happy to provide.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Has anyone had issues running Minecraft on the Win10 Preview? I'm getting an odd border along the top and left side of the java window, making the mouse really inaccurate and putting parts of the bottom of the screen outside the window itself (i.e. unusable).

Or better yet, has anyone found a fix for that? Nvidia card if that helps.

Now with a picture to show what I mean:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Have you tried it with vanilla? The recent omp-i updates did a bunch of overlay stuff, so who knows what they might be doing with the UI.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Have you tried it with vanilla? The recent omp-i updates did a bunch of overlay stuff, so who knows what they might be doing with the UI.

Ended up fixing it by just using fullscreen mode (F11). Current builds of Win10 have an OpenGL bug where that sort of thing happens in windowed mode.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I see that there isn't a console minecraft thread so I have to improvise. I have a question that's glitch related. I just now started a game and when i'm tunneling underground sometimes no block will come out and when I come back up they are all on the ground at ground level so i'm guessing they are getting teleported up there somehow. I have never had this happen any other time, has anyone had this glitch before and know what would cause it? If you need more information i'll be happy to provide.

There is a console thread, but it's pretty much dead. This thread sees little action these days too. Think the console thread was still labelled as the 360 edition, but honestly merging the chat into here isn't a bad idea.

You on PS4? I get the same issue, and never saw it on the Vita or PS3 versions. Just a bug in the current build, I'm sure 4J have been told about a thousand times and it'll likely get fixed in the next patch. They're usually on the ball for is kind of thing, just unlike the PC version they can't do a small hotfix for one issue so it tends to get saved up for a bigger update.

While on the subject, holy hell do I love the upgrade to PS4. The increased draw distance is amazing, and the 36x world size is more than I could ever need. Gives it that extra elbow room for the future. Now Spotify is on PS4, putting on the big headphones and digging away with good tunes and good friends is just about gaming perfection. The upgrade from PS3 only costing $5, and my skinpacks carrying over, was also a nice touch.

Edit: Macho Man, love your pics too. That's the kind of thing I'm looking to make on my new world. Found a killer seed for PS4, which basically spawned me on an island kind of like your town's. On one side, a natural harbour looking across at the most amazing range of extreme hills. On the other, a wide ocean biome with mushroom islands at the far reach of vision. On the ocean side, I dug out a small channel to cut out the only connection to the mainland, and overlooking the ocean there is a mountain that is exactly castle sized. Going to cover my island with a self-contained fishing village and farming area. Put the big castle up on the mountain overlooking the proles, then go underwater for an Atlantis/Rapture build as I have some deep undersea plateaus right close in to shore.

Best seed I've ever found, amazing views at spawn and just the most natural layout of terrain I've ever seen. It all fits together just right.

PS4 seed: Vodka and Red Bull

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 27, 2015

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Thought I'd try SkyBlock. After one false start (messed up the lava generator) I was going pretty good. Decided to slab my way over to the sand island to collect the other chest... once I put a slab towards the bottom to start getting ready to collect it, the sand blocks suddenly realised they shouldn't be hanging in midair with nothing underneath and the whole thing fell away into oblivion.

Also mobs started spawning on the slabs that weren't lit up, I thought they weren't supposed to do that?

Minecraft :argh:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is there a way (without mods) to get a command block to trigger a player teleport by interacting with an Enchanting Table? I'm trying to recreate a Myst-like Linking Book, but don't want to install Mystcraft.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Also mobs started spawning on the slabs that weren't lit up, I thought they weren't supposed to do that?

Minecraft :argh:
Mobs will only spawn on top of blocks, not halfway up them. So if you place top slabs, they spawn on those. If you place only bottom slabs, they don't spawn on them.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/28/lego-worlds-minecraft-game/

Lego has been including flyers in their sets for something that looks Minecraft-like. I hope so, as I would love to see a better made Minecraft game.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

IUG posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/28/lego-worlds-minecraft-game/

Lego has been including flyers in their sets for something that looks Minecraft-like. I hope so, as I would love to see a better made Minecraft game.

Let us see if this one flops as hard as the Lego MMO did. :v:

In actual Minecraft news, Dinnerbone has talked a bit today on what we all assumed was the "Shield" slot in the GUI.

He has revealed that it is an "Off-hand Slot" and various items can be placed there and held in whatever is not your main hand. The player will be able to choose if they are left or right handed and their avatar will visually show this change, even to others online, so that is kind of neat.

He has stated that you can give the appearance of dual wielding by putting a sword in the off-hand slot, but it will not do damage as they stated combat is already a bunch of click-spam and that would just make it worse. No word yet if you can carry a pickaxe or other tool in your off hand and have it functional. Two handed items like bows will not work in the off-hand.

Swords are having their block feature removed, this means that the "block hitting" bug where players spammed attack while having the sword in its blocking stance is finally fixed. This has caused a bunch of idiots in the PVP playerbase to whine. Blocking is now handled by having a shield in your off hand and Dinnerbone said that they are adding a more balanced way to attack while blocking (probably reduced attack strength and speed).

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

is the time of the holdable working torch finally upon us?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I seriously just want XP to be given directly to players who do XP-worthy stuff. Currently, there is absolutely no reason to snipe enemies with the bow from up high.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

I seriously just want XP to be given directly to players who do XP-worthy stuff. Currently, there is absolutely no reason to snipe enemies with the bow from up high.

Yes there is. :colbert:

ChargedCreeper.jpg

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I would be more afraid of PvP tryhards demanding things be reverted to 1.7 mechanics if they weren't so tactless on twitter

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Anyone who considers themselves a "professional Minecraft PvP player", or any similar title, is basically a loving idiot who should be ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hello friends I have a question about plane on my own personal server. I would like to be able to connect to a server that is hosted on one of my own computers in my own home. I would like to be able to connect to the server even if the internet connection is presently not working. my computers are connected via Ethernet cords to a router and I am able to transfer files between them using homegroups and workgroup and networks even when the internet is not connected. however, trying to connect to the server, which is hosted on one of these computers, does not work when the Internet is disconnected. attempting to connect to the server shows that server is detected play multiplayer portion of the Minecraft client, but everytime I try to connect the game houses at logging in and then displays the following error: failed to login the authentication servers are currently down for me maintenance. It occurs to me I should be able to play minecraft on a server posted on the very machine which is also hosting the Minecraft client which is trying to connect to that server, even if the internet is down. I am NOT a lizard but I know that some of you are. what sort of magic do I need to do, and please use small words because baby is bad at computer, in order to make this thing that I want to do a thing that I can do. thanks in advance.