Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

Those MC Win10 gifs got me really excited. I hope that MS really punts the PE team into overdrive so that it can catch up as soon as possible because I would probably make the switch sooner than later for vanilla gameplay if they did. (And seriously, how long could a professional really take to port MC over if they actually had funding?)

Nobody really knows when they started working on the W10 version but considering it already clearly has a very strong technical foundation the feature adding should be very quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

Enzer posted:

This is a 2,048 chunk view distance which runs at decent FPS.

i cant wait to fire up skygrid in this, if that's even possible :fap:

Enzer posted:

For a little additional background on Win10, it is the Pocket Edition and is being worked on by the PE devs and MS devs over in Richmond. As it is the PE port, which only recently got the nether, it is still missing a bunch of stuff. There goal is to get it to parity with the java version (so water temples, a few missing blocks, the End (1.9's End changes, by the way, are pretty rad), etc). After that they plan on introducing a method accessible from in game that will allow players to submit ideas for new content so at that point the Win10 Edition and the Java version will split apart with Win10 being more focused on player wanted content while Java will stick to its own internal development, picking ideas off of Win10 from time to time, and focus on making their version for people to directly modify (the old goal of making it so that the Java version is more of an engine that comes packaged with a bunch of modules that make up the game, which can then be toggled off and new modules in the forms of mods either replace the vanilla modules or are installed alongside them). Going to take a long time for either of those goals to be a thing, but I honestly don't see MC dropping in popularity any time soon, I mean MC PC broke 20 Million sales on July 1st, 34 days later and they have an additional 400,000 sales, the beast just wont die and no one has come close to make a (3d) competitor that has gotten off the ground.
this all seems consistent with the tadbits ive been hearing, but a bit more detailed. do you remember where you heard about the shift towards a more modular java version?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Taffer posted:

Nobody really knows when they started working on the W10 version but considering it already clearly has a very strong technical foundation the feature adding should be very quick.

I would imagine porting art assets is negligible at this point. So I would guess terrain gen, and AI, and the eventual combat system changes would be the only real grunt work, outside of netcode I guess, but that is kind of separate, imo. If they recently added the Nether, then they have dimensions working, which means the End can't be far behind. If they were smart, they would skip the old End and just go straight to porting the 1.9 version. With all the world gen stuff done they would only really have to focus on mobs at that point.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Enzer posted:

This is a 2,048 chunk view distance which runs at decent FPS.

How did you get your render distance so high? Even when I max out the slider mine looks like this:

Which looks a lot like 16 chunk rendering on the java version

Just for laughs I tried out 32 chunk rendering. It looks good but took about 10 minutes to load even on my beefy system and ran at 20fps (desktop core i5, 16gb ram, though no ssd).

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Fayez Butts posted:

How did you get your render distance so high?...

Did you miss the part about that being the special Win10 build, using C++ and a totally new codebase rather than the Java version? I ask because yours has an inventory bar and the other guy's didn't, and it would be an easy detail to miss.

** Nothing in this post is meant to imply that I know a goddamned thing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Blasphemeral posted:

Did you miss the part about that being the special Win10 build, using C++ and a totally new codebase rather than the Java version? I ask because yours has an inventory bar and the other guy's didn't, and it would be an easy detail to miss.

Look closely at his first image. He's also running Win10 beta. Hence his confusion and comparison to the Java version in the second image.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Blasphemeral posted:

What do you think the first two images are comparing? Did you read my post?

And look a little harder, especially at the words that say "Minecraft Windows 10 Edition Beta" at the top of the first image.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Fayez Butts posted:

And look a little harder, especially at the words that say "Minecraft Windows 10 Edition Beta" at the top of the first image.

Sorry, that incredibly tiny text was covered by the timg-tag resolution information.

I just wanted to head off a perceived miscommunication, sorry. Hence my disclaimer, in fact.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Something I'm curious about: if you have a 360 controller connected to your pc, can that be used for controls in the Windows 10 edition? Might be a way for me to let my niece play that she can actually work the controls. She's only five, so the touch controls on PE on my phone is too challenging, at least for jumping, and keyboard/mouse is right out.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

taiyoko posted:

Something I'm curious about : if you have a 360 controller connected to your pc, can that be used for controls in the Windows 10 edition? Might be a way for me to let my niece play that she can actually work the controls. She's only five, so the touch controls on PE on my phone is too challenging, at least for jumping, and keyboard/mouse is right out.

Yep!

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

pointers posted:

i cant wait to fire up skygrid in this, if that's even possible :fap:

this all seems consistent with the tadbits ive been hearing, but a bit more detailed. do you remember where you heard about the shift towards a more modular java version?

Think it was something Grum said from one of the previous Minecon panels, mind you it has been years since said panel, but if you look at a lot of the background stuff they've been working on since 1.5 you can see them moving forward in that regard. I think their end goal is that you wont need something like Forge in order to load mods, but rather mods will be loaded as an advanced version of the Resource Pack, but the devs said that they expect Forge to still be around and Searge indicates that he thinks that Forge will eventually act as an expansion to whatever API they release as there is no way that the team will be able to include everything others will want or need and it allows for the community to make those changes in a timely manner.

Captain Invictus posted:

Microsoft would be crazy to not implement some kind of modding system though. Minecraft has become so successful in no small part due to mods. I know I've sold quite a few people on it with the life in the woods pack who otherwise felt mc was too barebones to warrant a purchase.

While you'd think that, they've been pretty straight up with the community right off the bat that they have no intentions of supporting mods: 1) It would probably require a dedicated team to make any API as flexible as something like Forge and keep adding features that modders require, 2) MS's goal with Win10 is that it has feature parity across all platforms it has and if mods are supported on PC, they have to be supported on other fronts and that would be a nightmare as they've stated that some mobile options would not allow for modding to be a thing, 3) MS knows that pissing off the modding community is a bad thing so they are content with not shaking things up and letting the Java version carry on how it has been.

Fayez Butts posted:

How did you get your render distance so high? Even when I max out the slider mine looks like this:

Go to C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MinecraftUWP_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\games\com.mojang\minecraftpe and edit "options.txt". Find "gfx_renderdistance_new" and change its value to 2x e.g. 16, 32, 64, 128 and so on.

I assume that this will be done in game once they get it out of beta.

---

On why PE is so far behind in dev despite that it has been around a while now, the PE team had been for the longest time one person with occasional help from Jeb (fun note, the PE, and thus the Win10 Edition, was written by Jeb and then handed off to another dev so he could refocus on the Java version) and had only recently gotten an additional two people on and then more recently a team from Richmond. While the lack of dev staff did make things pretty slow, you also have to remember that when the PE first came out, mobile devices where drastically less powerful than they are today and so Tommo had to make some interesting design decisions (such as the Nether Generator structure before running separate dimensions was possible on mobile hardware) and different methods of doing things (like massive changes to how culling was done in order to allow for caves to generate). So it has been a design challenge up to recently and I think is one of the reasons why the Win10 version runs so well, it was designed to work on your cell phone. On top of that Tommo also likes to redo features when he is trying to make parity with the Java version, the boats which have been added recently is one of his biggest design changes and is really well done (Not incredibly fragile, neat control system that is pretty smooth, two passengers including mobs, designed to allow future upgrades).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88_AflM577s

So yeah, I have no doubt Win10 edition is going to reach Java parity very quickly, but I also got the feeling that they are going to be taking the time to re-address how certain things are done or work.

-----

It is actually kind of interesting to read Tommo's comments on Reddit regarding modding on PE/Win10. He is stating that MS wont allow for the kind of support that Mojang gave Searge in regards to getting MCP up and running. Lot of people angry at him when it is out of his hands.

Modder: Unless you do the same hacks Sun did with the JVM and allow reflection on base classes, you have a problem.

Because the modding community today expects you to provide the ability to change EVERY SINGLE THING, which will not be easy with a C++ version. (And I’m a compsci student and I’ve written for projects my own little engine in Java and C++ before, it’s often either not possible or very hard to allow java-like total reflection in native code, you have to deal with a lot of function pointers and custom dispatchers)

In the Java version, I could easily write an isometric renderer and have everything rendered as pixelart, or I can turn the game into a sidescroller, I could make the gameplay completely different, or replace whole parts of the game (non-euclidian space? why not?) I could do anything that I can imagine. In the pocket edition, that is either not possible or extremely hard.

So I’m asking you, /u/mojang_tommo, will I be able to write total conversion mods, will I be able to work with non-euclidian spaces, or completely replace the renderer? Will I be able to use a different file format for storage of the game data, will I be able to write a custom input handler?

Tommo:The famous "mod API" would require a total rewrite of mods written today anyway, so I don't think that's a real issue. There is still going to be a big breakup once modding is actually supported by either version!
About being able to do this deep modding... to be honest I dunno, the C++ rendering system is much more structured and encapsulated than the Java system where GL calls are all over the place, so you'll need to figure out a way to do it in our engine's way without using GL directly, or stuff would break really badly. However, the engine is very general and isn't restricted to Minecraft graphics at all, it's just a high-level rendering library by now... so it should be possible I guess, maybe it would be even easier!

Modder: I know your render pipeline on the mobile version is better, I've taken a look at it, but that doesn't answer the question: can I, as modder, rewrite the whole render pipeline? Can I just port the whole engine to Vulkain if I want? Can I, as modder, modify the whole engine, every line? Because that's what will be necessary to keep modding.
You, as devs, (as Person admitted) couldn't ever predict what people would end up doing with the game — so a constrained modding API will be problematic. The current modding is horrible, but the question still stands: will we get a full API allowing us to do deep modding, completely rewriting all of the game? Essentially, I'm asking if you'll reimplement a custom reflection-like framework for the whole codebase.

Tommo: It's a dll so I guess you could, actually, if you have a couple of months to spare, and I'd love to see the results :P
The level of access you're asking for though is called "having the source code" and we're not going to support that for obvious reasons.

Modder: Well, if that's your answer, then you're killing a lot of the modding community.
Because for stuff like, for example, a portal gun mod I have to access the depth buffer and run gl commands manually, or I'll have to copy a lot of geometry and essentially do software rendering. Because currently we do have that access, and a lot of great features came out of it. The smooth lighting you see in Minecraft? Invented by a modder, whose mod got integrated. Or we'll do what we did last time, decompile and work with that. I guess I'll have to buy IDA Pro then...

:suicide:

Enzer fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 4, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002
That Q&A is kind of stupid because he just repeatedly asks a loaded question.

The developer answered quite honestly, and he just kept saying the same thing. There's no reason, or even practical way, to provide modders with direct access to any of that stuff. If you want to do a total conversion you have to do work on a compiled language boohoohoo, and the guy asking that supposedly knows that so why continue forcing the question. It's great that MC Java edition is so open about everything, but it's not like that's an industry standard or the reason for its success.

A better question would have been about a modding API and opening up things relevant to most mods. The answer appears to be no which is actually unfortunate, but there is already a PE modding community and they plan on supporting the java version still so it's hard to be too down about it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 5, 2015

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Khorne posted:

That Q&A is kind of stupid because he just repeatedly asks a loaded question.

The developer answered quite honestly, and he just kept saying the same thing. There's no reason, or even practical way, to provide modders with direct access to any of that stuff. If you want to do a total conversion you have to do work on a compiled language boohoohoo, and the guy asking that supposedly knows that so why continue forcing the question. It's great that MC Java edition is so open about everything, but it's not like that's an industry standard or the reason for its success.

A better question would have been about a modding API and opening up things relevant to most mods. The answer appears to be no which is actually unfortunate, but there is already a PE modding community and they plan on supporting the java version still so it's hard to be too down about it.

Yeah, Tommo mentions that to him later down in the thread. Again, Tommo has no interests in setting up a modding environment nor do the people who are paying him and telling him what they want him to do. Modding on Win10 would only cause them issues when complaints come up that they can't mod for the other platforms and it breaks compatibility between platforms or when people are upset that the API doesn't include every little handler or library that they want. It just isn't their prerogative and is why they keep reiterating that modding is best left for the Java version.

Tommo: You could provide an interface akin to Forge for C++ and let the modders script with whatever they want, check BlockLauncher for Pocket Edition :)
It makes a JavaScript wrapper over PE so people can mod it in JS.

Modder: Yes, but it would be nothing at all like the current modding.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Magmarashi posted:

Alt idea: They can change the trees easily and everyone who cares enough to be upset need to grow up and get over it.

this is the Minecraft community

so probably not

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Dinnerbone released some statastics gathered over the last seven days, always kind of interesting.

65% of users use Java 8
27% of users use Java 7
8% of users use Java 6 (They are really trying to get people off of Java 6, this is one of the goals of packaging their own java with Minecraft in the future to standardize all this poo poo)

Only 40% of users use 64-bit java, I'm kind of wondering what the percentage of 64 bit OS is, I've seen a lot of people use the wrong type of java for their OS.

Now this is really interesting, only 30% were using modified clients or some form of mod.

Here is a chart showing OS usage over those seven days. Dinnerbone points out that a 0-3% growth for Win10 is pretty big for such a short time frame, talking about some 600,000 users, and was more than expected this soon. I find the number of people still using WinXP more concerning, to be honest. :v:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
java is pretty terrible at only grabbing 32 bit versions of itself for 64 bit os' so I am going to blame java for being terrible on that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Considering there's no native mod support or modding package system, 30% is a staggeringly high number.

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

Enzer posted:

Think it was something Grum said from one of the previous Minecon panels, mind you it has been years since said panel, but if you look at a lot of the background stuff they've been working on since 1.5 you can see them moving forward in that regard.
Yeah it definitely seems consistent with what they've been doing, and i can't wait! Thank you, I really appreciate the source (:

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
30% of clients being modded actually seems like a lot to me. Are other games comparable?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Enzer posted:

Dinnerbone released some statastics gathered over the last seven days, always kind of interesting.

65% of users use Java 8
27% of users use Java 7
8% of users use Java 6 (They are really trying to get people off of Java 6, this is one of the goals of packaging their own java with Minecraft in the future to standardize all this poo poo)

Only 40% of users use 64-bit java, I'm kind of wondering what the percentage of 64 bit OS is, I've seen a lot of people use the wrong type of java for their OS.

Now this is really interesting, only 30% were using modified clients or some form of mod.

Here is a chart showing OS usage over those seven days. Dinnerbone points out that a 0-3% growth for Win10 is pretty big for such a short time frame, talking about some 600,000 users, and was more than expected this soon. I find the number of people still using WinXP more concerning, to be honest. :v:

The prepackaged Java they made knows to be 64 bit though right? So that wouldn't be an issue going forward?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Colonel J posted:

30% of clients being modded actually seems like a lot to me. Are other games comparable?

I doubt it. I'm betting that number is huge compared to other games, especially games with a large kid player base.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Considering there's no native mod support or modding package system, 30% is a staggeringly high number.

Modpacks - or at least Tekkit - is dead simple now. You download their launcher and it does pretty much all the work for you.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

Modpacks - or at least Tekkit - is dead simple now. You download their launcher and it does pretty much all the work for you.

I know, but even so. People have to have heard of it, seek it out, know about modding, even when the game says nothing about it.

To be honest the thing I'm finding more interesting is the daily fluctuations and repeated high and low points of each OS. :crossarms: Do you know what timezone the times are in?

I wonder if the Windows XP peaks are China.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 5, 2015

Vitreous Rumor
Oct 21, 2004

Hmm... What could a human person do every day around nighttime??

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EvilDrWong posted:

Hmm... What could a human person do every day around nighttime??

I meant the way that different OSes have different peak times.

Interesting that OS:X correlates roughly with Windows 8, whilst 7's very distinct from that.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Colonel J posted:

Yeah, 30% is pretty big, but that number also includes changes like using a different launcher or just running optifine or MCpatcher, any modification that isn't something like a resource pack. I was expecting something closer to maybe 45% with how much of a blanket "modified" is with this kind of game. My response is also a bit colored because I see the belief around the MC forums that modded clients make up the vast majority of the userbase and the claim that Mojang is always doing something to piss modders off which will kill the game because they are the leading drive in sales. So I always find it interesting when Mojang pushes out these numbers, Dinnerbone does this from time to time, I kind of want to find the last time he did this and find the percentage of modded clients and see if the number has gone up or down.

MikeJF posted:

I know, but even so. People have to have heard of it, seek it out, know about modding, even when the game says nothing about it.

To be honest the thing I'm finding more interesting is the daily fluctuations and repeated high and low points of each OS. :crossarms: Do you know what timezone the times are in?

Shot Dinnerbone a tweet, see if I get a response. :v:

ToastyPotato posted:

The prepackaged Java they made knows to be 64 bit though right? So that wouldn't be an issue going forward?

I would assume so, the client used to yell at you if you were using the wrong java for your OS, but they kind of hid that when people were bitching about the angry red text that kept popping up whenever they launched. :P

Enzer fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 5, 2015

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

MikeJF posted:

yeah the xp peaks consistantly being windows 7's lowest point is neat

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I want to see this with pocket edition stats too so we can see if there's a "time for bed" switchover.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As long as the Win10 version has GLSL or a similar look I really don't need anything else from it.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Great, now fix entity lag so that a fairly populated server doesn't come crashing to its knees because people are using item frames. :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Enzer posted:

Great, now fix entity lag so that a fairly populated server doesn't come crashing to its knees because people are using item frames. :colbert:

Just realised I'm probably responsible for a lot of our server issues.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Just realised I'm probably responsible for a lot of our server issues.

Labeling all your chests eh? :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Boat posted:

Labeling all your chests eh? :v:

Also giant maps.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you can buy toys of people who play minecraft on youtube.

and not just from like thinkgeek or something. they sell them at target and walmart. they have displays of them in brick and mortar stores.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Considering the view counts some of these people get on YT and Twitch, it makes sense.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

This is the worst thing I've ever seen. Not because it's positively retarded, but because of the precedent it sets.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

oddium posted:

and not just from like thinkgeek or something. they sell them at target and walmart. they have displays of them in brick and mortar stores.

Stop the planet, I want to get off :(

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Haha, give me a break. They've been making dolls of famous people for decades. Kids watching YouTube channels instead of TV channels isn't some sign of the apocalypse or even some sad cultural moment. It's literally the same stuff that's been happening since the 60s and 70s.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

oddium posted:

They even have their stupid user names on the box! :psyduck: Haha, hahahaa! Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
http://www.target.com/p/tube-heroes-caveman-films-with-accessories/-/A-17466790#prodSlot=dlp_medium_1_13&term=tube+heroes

Couldn't get simon so they just used his likeness for one?