Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Holy poo poo this villager will trade Zombie Flesh for Emerald.

I must protect you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Time to build a solid obsidian cube around him with a 1 block window and make your own Emerald Dispenser.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Time to build a solid obsidian cube around him with a 1 block window and make your own Emerald Dispenser.
And a 1.5 block height to get to the window; nobody wants baby zombies to jump in that.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I still don't even fully understand villager trading. After enough trades of one type a villager stops making that trade, right?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

It's funny, I always thought the removal of armor decay was one of the best feature changes in all of Minecraft's base mechanics.
I absolutely hated that worn armor would protect less and it always made armor feel incredibly fleeting and worthless, to the point that you'd have half-worn iron armor and want to just scrap it. When they finally removed that, I thought "oh, cool, what a good decision, I'm glad armor is just armor now".

I was really worried that they were bringing that back, from how people were talking about it, but it looks like that's not the case. I'd much rather have nerfed armor in general than armor that gets worse the more you use it. It's not like picks and shovels slow down the more you use them.

With the introduction of the anvil and being able to just slam two worn pieces together in the crafting window to repair them, it wouldn't be as bad as it used to be with 1% durability armor you couldn't actually do anything with to fix it.

It's not too hard now for enchanted gear to stay 100% forever since you can self sustain the repairs with a exp farm and a villager farm for the diamond equipment.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 3, 2015

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

With the introduction of the anvil and being able to just slam two worn pieces together in the crafting window to repair them, it wouldn't be as bad as it used to be with 1% durability armor you couldn't actually do anything with to fix it.

It's not too hard now for enchanted gear to stay 100% forever since you can self sustain the repairs with a exp farm and a villager farm for the diamond equipment.

Except that the exp cost keeps going up and at a certain point flat out refuses to work?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Doesn't naming the items get rid of that? I know I name all my eff5 pickaxes something dumb.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Blind Duke posted:

This is not diminishing hunger, this is slowly starving to death. There is no reclaiming food value for what you have consumed.

You must slowly work your way through every possible food item to delay your inevitable death

Eat at Arbys

ROFL
Spot on. I love that Twitter account.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Doesn't naming the items get rid of that? I know I name all my eff5 pickaxes something dumb.

As far as I'm aware this is still the case, but it's been a while since I played unmodded.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Nope. They patched that out in 1.8

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

So let's not pretend beetroot was worth adding to the game.

Well, I mean, it was in PE and is essentially just a re-textured carrot crop, so why not? :v:

----

So Jeb has made armor values an Attribute, which means that when and how armor is added to the player can be modified:

Here it is with just a normal iron chestplate, +6 armor when worn on the body, not that ground breaking. But this means that they could do things like an amulet that gives additional armor when held in the hand, the off hand or just in the inventory. It also means that map makers will eventually be able to fiddle with it and modify player armor for maps without having to worry about gear management. You could also force it to 30, 10 over the normal 20 limit, which Jeb claims makes you invincible to physical damage.

Making armor into an attribute is also the reason why they decided to not add armor value degradation with damage, just not possible at the moment to have item damage neatly effect preset attribute, but it may return some day in the future.

Also someone showed some of the neat effects you can create via command blocks and invisible mobs now that collision detection works again.

http://gfycat.com/BrilliantTastyIaerismetalmark

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

I still don't even fully understand villager trading. After enough trades of one type a villager stops making that trade, right?

Only briefly. They sparkle when they've recovered a trade.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
OK the armour-you-don't-wear stuff is pretty interesting, I guess you could create tanky tower shields that way, and maybe it'll pave the way to more interesting combos. It'd be nice to see equipment variety affecting things like movement speed, attack speed, that sort of thing. If you could have, say, a server that has specified gear "sets" that do different stuff - heavy iron armour that slows but has massive armour values, for the paladin look - that would be pretty sweet.

Right now I just want them to code in the same functionality that the Custom Stuff mod has, and I will be infinitely happy. I haven't touched the vanilla game in months, every time I load it up I just want to add in new items and blocks. If there was a way for me to do that without being stuck in 1.7, that would basically make me spend hours every day tooling around making my own perfect custom world.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I just wish they'd convert to a materials system where every block that's considered a solid material automatically has a stair and slab.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

MikeJF posted:

I just wish they'd convert to a materials system where every block that's considered a solid material automatically has a stair and slab.

Seriously, this. Think of the sloping hills that could be generated knowing that Grass Half Slabs are a vanilla thing.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
People are so mad about these changes.

For a given value of "people", I guess.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am also very upset.

:what: <-roughly that upset

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

MikeJF posted:

Only briefly. They sparkle when they've recovered a trade.
Does that happen over time, or what? I've exhausted a trade with a villager at the start of my world and then never seen that trade open again.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Does that happen over time, or what? I've exhausted a trade with a villager at the start of my world and then never seen that trade open again.

It does happen over time, but it can be sped up by trading something else with them. Weird it took that long, though, it's usually pretty quick - is that villager out-of-active-range?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

I believe over time, but it's also helped by doing their other trades, or maybe also other trades with other villagers? I'm sure there's a massive spergchart someplace detailing it, but the long and short is, yes it comes back.

VanillaCheese on the server I'm on has a big villager trading post and I've tossed rotten flesh at that one cleric dude until he gives up multiple times.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

If you put him in a net and MFR spawnered exact copy does that include the trade?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Is there a way to tweak large biomes worldgen? I like the idea of large biomes, but I actually think they might be a little too large. There's no way to quickly travel ocean (boats just aren't that fast) and they become massive.

The wiki says Large biomes are 16x bigger, but I'd sorta like to see what 4x and 8x look like.

Edit: I had thought this existed, and was right, but only in version 1.8 and up. Tekkit, why won't you updaaaate :argh:

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 4, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

TheresaJayne posted:

If you put him in a net and MFR spawnered exact copy does that include the trade?

Yes, you can clone infinite villagers with specific trades using this method. You can also clone villagers using non-exact copies to get random villagers until you get the specific trade you want!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

JerikTelorian posted:

Is there a way to tweak large biomes worldgen? I like the idea of large biomes, but I actually think they might be a little too large. There's no way to quickly travel ocean (boats just aren't that fast) and they become massive.

The wiki says Large biomes are 16x bigger, but I'd sorta like to see what 4x and 8x look like.

Edit: I had thought this existed, and was right, but only in version 1.8 and up. Tekkit, why won't you updaaaate :argh:

Oh, good idea! I just tried a large biomes seed (wanted horses to be useful, instead of "whoops, there's a forest/mountain biome" after 1-2 minutes in any direction) and they're just too big.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Oh, good idea! I just tried a large biomes seed (wanted horses to be useful, instead of "whoops, there's a forest/mountain biome" after 1-2 minutes in any direction) and they're just too big.

Well if you're using 1.8, these commands might get you something pretty cool: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Customized

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Just got back into Minecraft since I have a working computer now. Two things:

1: Horde of zombies, skeletons, spiders, and creepers? No problem. Then I walked backwards into a loving cactus and died. This is the essential Minecraft experience, right?
2: Went into the nether, and while mining netherack and glowstone, blocks would break and reappear in place several times. Is this a known bug or is it just acting funny for me?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

GWBBQ posted:

2: Went into the nether, and while mining netherack and glowstone, blocks would break and reappear in place several times. Is this a known bug or is it just acting funny for me?

That's like the Original Bug. MC-0. A bug as old as Minecraft itself, unresolved to this very day. Destroyer of servers; though it can affect a single player game. Contact Markus Persson at notch@mojang.com or @notch for assistance.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

GWBBQ posted:

Just got back into Minecraft since I have a working computer now. Two things:

1: Horde of zombies, skeletons, spiders, and creepers? No problem. Then I walked backwards into a loving cactus and died. This is the essential Minecraft experience, right?

1: Pretty much. Watch for hazards. Next time you'll take a dip in lava. :D

2: That happens when your tick rate is low (normally 20 per second, yours is likely no better than 10 or so when that's happening). If you're playing single-player, it's probably still trying to generate and update things in the loaded chunks - world generation is rough on computers. If you've been around long enough to have world generation already well done, then something else is eating up your resources like crazy, probably one of the bugs where you end up with ridiculous numbers of critters.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Liking what we're seeing of combat changes. It'll be truly, truly fun to see what mods play with in the new eco-system, but honestly 1.9 sounds like enough fun to mess around in all on its own. And I can get behind these armor changes. There is something maybe slightly off about falling into a dark cave full of monsters and being annoyed instead of panicked because, instead of in danger, you know you're gonna be perfectly fine bounced around swinging ineffectually for a whole minute and be perfectly fine.

R.I.P. PVP MINECRAFT

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I've been itching to get back into Minecraft, but if 1.9 changes world generation then I think I'll have to wait for that to release first.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Tamayachi posted:

I've been itching to get back into Minecraft, but if 1.9 changes world generation then I think I'll have to wait for that to release first.

1.9 mostly focuses on combat. The biggest world gen changes are to The End. Honestly, it might be a really cool update but I don't think it is going to mean much to a lot of people since Minecraft is not very focused on combat, and PvP servers aren't a lot of people's thing. You're better off sticking to 1.8. At least you'll have all of the mods that are starting to catch up to 1.8.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Slowpoke! posted:

1.9 mostly focuses on combat. The biggest world gen changes are to The End. Honestly, it might be a really cool update but I don't think it is going to mean much to a lot of people since Minecraft is not very focused on combat, and PvP servers aren't a lot of people's thing. You're better off sticking to 1.8. At least you'll have all of the mods that are starting to catch up to 1.8.

Sweet, sounds good, I guess I'll just fire up 1.8 then!

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Minecraft for windows 10 is now cross compatible with Minecraft portable edition. that's pretty drat neat!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Frobbe posted:

Minecraft for windows 10 is now cross compatible with Minecraft portable edition. that's pretty drat neat!

It wasn't already? It's basically the same program. Still, good to have.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

MikeJF posted:

It wasn't already? It's basically the same program. Still, good to have.

yeah, what i really meant to say was, people using portable can play against people on PC using the win 10 version.

I have an issue with some old minecraft stuff, i've got this save from around 2010/2011 http://www.mediafire.com/view/jb7eb49dud8699z/FrobbeCorpV8 that i've tried loading in the latest snapshop. this fails and the world loads with me floating in the aether.

any tricks i need to do in order to load this in?

EDIT: okay, the trick is, i had to do it in minecraft 1.7.10.

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 9, 2015

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Frobbe posted:

yeah, what i really meant to say was, people using portable can play against people on PC using the win 10 version.

Oh, whoa, really? So would this let you create a world in Win10 PC and have the PE users connect to it locally over wifi? Would it then be possible for the PE users to download copies of the map to their iPad, by any chance?

I'd really like to use Minecraft PE for a timeline activity my students have to complete over the rest of the year, where they're supposed to be adding events and pictures from the various civilisations they study. Rather than do it physically, I was thinking of using MC and having each block be 50 years, and use different coloured ones along the line for the different civilisations they're looking at, to help get a sense of the proportion and scale of the time range they're studying. On their own, they could research and build stuff from the various civilisations/eras. But I think if I left building the line itself to them, there'd be a decent chance for error in setting it up, and even if there wasn't, it's a lot of time on something tedious and not really history-related, makes it hard to justify from an educational standpoint. Basically, I'd much more rather they spent their time researching, designing, and building rather than counting out blocks of coloured wool, if you get my drift. Also I thiiiink there'd be Indigenous Australians on there, so we'd be talking ~50,000 years, and with no coordinates in PE they'd have to count out 1,000 blocks at my proposed scale. 1:50 years seems pretty much the only one think would work well, 1:100 would be too coarse for some of the Greek stuff, honestly even 1:50 is pushing it there, but any finer than that and the line would get ridiculous.

I'd be happy to do a template they could build off of on some rainy day, but I guess (until now??) you couldn't get a pre-made map in PE without jailbreaking or other tomfoolery. The local saving is important as I've used Minecraft in class before, and while the students *really* got into it, some of them couldn't resist the urge to grief. Also I'd like them to mostly be working on it outside of school, and I don't have the resources to set up a stable server, even if griefing issues didn't exist.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 9, 2015

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Oh, whoa, really? So would this let you create a world in Win10 PC and have the PE users connect to it locally over wifi? Would it then be possible for the PE users to download copies of the map to their iPad, by any chance?

I'd really like to use Minecraft PE for a timeline activity my students have to complete over the rest of the year, where they're supposed to be adding events and pictures from the various civilisations they study. Rather than do it physically, I was thinking of using MC and having each block be 50 years, and use different coloured ones along the line for the different civilisations they're looking at, to help get a sense of the proportion and scale of the time range they're studying. On their own, they could research and build stuff from the various civilisations/eras. But I think if I left building the line itself to them, there'd be a decent chance for error in setting it up, and even if there wasn't, it's a lot of time on something tedious and not really history-related, makes it hard to justify from an educational standpoint. Basically, I'd much more rather they spent their time researching, designing, and building rather than counting out blocks of coloured wool, if you get my drift. Also I thiiiink there'd be Indigenous Australians on there, so we'd be talking ~50,000 years, and with no coordinates in PE they'd have to count out 1,000 blocks at my proposed scale. 1:50 years seems pretty much the only one think would work well, 1:100 would be too coarse for some of the Greek stuff, honestly even 1:50 is pushing it there, but any finer than that and the line would get ridiculous.

I'd be happy to do a template they could build off of on some rainy day, but I guess (until now??) you couldn't get a pre-made map in PE without jailbreaking or other tomfoolery. The local saving is important as I've used Minecraft in class before, and while the students *really* got into it, some of them couldn't resist the urge to grief. Also I'd like them to mostly be working on it outside of school, and I don't have the resources to set up a stable server, even if griefing issues didn't exist.

I don't think so. It is cross compatible servers, meaning that Win10 can connect to a PE server or PE can connect to a Win10 server. While chunk information is shared, those connecting to a server do not receive a full copy of the world that could be loaded in single player.

You shouldn't need to jailbreak the tablet, I would think. What you'll probably need to do is make the world to be shared on one of the tablets.

Take a computer and download a program called iExplorer.
Once you do that plug the iPad witht he world save into the computer via USB Connector that comes with any Apple device. Make sure you don't have any apps running on the iPad, and when the time comes.

-Open iExplorer and your iPad should appear, look at the left hand side of the screen and a file labeled applications will appear.
-Click it. Open the file labeled Minecraft PE.
-Click on Documents, then Games, then Com.Mojang and then it should say something like "minecraft world saves".
-Open that file and drag all the files inside it to your desktop. Once it is complete, unplug the device.
-Plug in the iPad you want to transfer the world data to and do everything you just did, but this time, drag all of the files from your desktop into the minecraftworlds file.
-Unplug the iPad and navigate to wherever minecraft PE is. Open the app, the world data should be there.

The thing you have to remember is that even the Java PC version of the game doesn't have neat little save files, each world is a directory full of a poo poo ton of files based on the size of the world.

Also while server play may be compatible between versions now, the file format for the saved data might not be compatible as well between versions.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The other big feature to this update is they got controller support into the mobile versions.

Apparently it's a bit buggy on iOS, but I've read that Android works pretty good.

I really like the work Microsoft is putting into this game, everyone was worried how a "Minecraft 2" was going to work, apparently they'll just quietly produce a better product than the original and keep the same name. :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

xzzy posted:

The other big feature to this update is they got controller support into the mobile versions.

Apparently it's a bit buggy on iOS, but I've read that Android works pretty good.

I really like the work Microsoft is putting into this game, everyone was worried how a "Minecraft 2" was going to work, apparently they'll just quietly produce a better product than the original and keep the same name. :v:

I see zero problem with this. "A better Minecraft" is literally what all of these clones have been trying and failing to produce, but this seems promising.

And I know they are under no obligation to, but I'd just love it if they offered os x support for the new version.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Also, it should be pointed out that Mojang, in celebration of the Win10/PE compatibility patch, released a visual novel called Doki Doki Comparability Quest III.

I wish I was joking.

I told the anime cell phone that video games suck and got a bad ending. :smith:

loving rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Anime in your minecraft?

Its more likely than you think.