Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Taffer posted:

Maybe they should take some notes from the W10 version and make worldgen not totally suck rear end

They want people to migrate to Windows 10 so they're probably never going to change the slow chunk loading and world generation in the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mystic_Shadow posted:

They want people to migrate to Windows 10 so they're probably never going to change the slow chunk loading and world generation in the base game.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Just how unstable/buggy are the snapshots supposed to be? I've been putting up with a fair bit of glitchiness and block lag in single player that exiting and re-running MC would usually help.

I finally made a second portal out of the Nether at roughly 400, 50 (nether coords, found a fortress) and I got spat out at overworld (400, 74, -6)... inside a goddamn mountain taking suffocation damage, with no portal in sight once I broke the surface.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

How playable is the Android version of this?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
By Android version, I presume you mean Minecraft: Pocket Edition?
In essence, it's got a lot of the current features, but lacks the complex redstone devices. Mojang seem to be adding updating it more frequently, so you might see more features coming to it soon. It's good in short stints, but don't expect to be playing it all day compared to the original. Controls are also a bit odd, depending on the size of your device, but they can be adjusted.
Minecraft: Windows 10 Version (the Beta version anyway) seems to be designed just like the Pocket Edition, right down to the limited options. It seems to be meant for Tablet control, rather than by a desktop or notebook. I haven't tried it enough, but it still seems very rough around the edges.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I did mean Pocket Edition. Thanks!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Just how unstable/buggy are the snapshots supposed to be? I've been putting up with a fair bit of glitchiness and block lag in single player that exiting and re-running MC would usually help.

I finally made a second portal out of the Nether at roughly 400, 50 (nether coords, found a fortress) and I got spat out at overworld (400, 74, -6)... inside a goddamn mountain taking suffocation damage, with no portal in sight once I broke the surface.

A lot of the time they are pretty playable, but this one is pretty drat buggy, the portal thing, you can't ride animals, light doesn't seem to affect spawners, tons of block lag.... So basically only play it if you want to mess around with the new wings or boats.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Anything. Snapshots could be anything from perfectly fine to utterly unable to run on most computers.

Mathematics
Jun 22, 2011
Minecraft Pocket Edition is awesome as gently caress these days.

When I bought it, there was only creative mode and a tiny world. I thought I wasted $7. Now there are unlimited worlds, caves, the nether, dogs and poo poo. It's better than the PC version was when I bought it for like $25. I only play MCPE these days since I don't really have time when I'm at home to sit down at the computer and play Minecraft. It's great.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

PowerBeard posted:

Minecraft: Windows 10 Version (the Beta version anyway) seems to be designed just like the Pocket Edition, right down to the limited options. It seems to be meant for Tablet control, rather than by a desktop or notebook. I haven't tried it enough, but it still seems very rough around the edges.

Minecraft Windows 10 Version is the pocket edition, it is being co-developed by the PE devs and Microsoft's own people. Basically PE updates with new content, then those changes are sent to MS who add it to their version of PE which has a ton of desktop designed optimizations on top to make the Win10 version.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Does anyone know if Microsoft's resultingly upped the budget on PE development? I'd love to see them accelerate catching up on features.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mathematics posted:

Minecraft Pocket Edition is awesome as gently caress these days.

When I bought it, there was only creative mode and a tiny world. I thought I wasted $7. Now there are unlimited worlds, caves, the nether, dogs and poo poo. It's better than the PC version was when I bought it for like $25. I only play MCPE these days since I don't really have time when I'm at home to sit down at the computer and play Minecraft. It's great.

This just convinced me to put it on my wishlist, and whenever I get enough surveys, I'll be buying it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The coolest feature so far is that mobile devices running PE can connect to Win10 games. Cross platform multiplayer loving owns.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Does anyone know if Microsoft's resultingly upped the budget on PE development? I'd love to see them accelerate catching up on features.

Unsure, I think Mojang hired two new devs for PE (as PE is done at their home office while the strictly Win10 stuff is done at MS's HQ), but they recently lost a dev who is moving on from game design or wanted to do his own stuff I think.

Edit:
According to the wiki the devs for PE are:

-Jeb/Jens Bergensten who did the initial rewrite of MC into C++. Occasionaly has acted as head dev and still helps out development from time to time.

-Degussa/Aron Nieminen who was in charge of PE's development until Dec 13th 2012 where he was moved onto the Scrolls team (and is still there?) and Jens took back over development of PE until Tommaso Checchi and Johan Benhardsson took over. Apparently helps out from time to time.

-Tommo/Tomcc/Tommasco Checchi is the current head dev of PE.

-Johan Bernhardsson apparently started off working on Realms stuff and then PE by himself for a year before Tommasco Checchi was hired. He was then partnered with Tommasco. Johan is also known for working on the Beta OSX launcher for Minecraft PC. Johan residned on September 11th, 2015.

-Shoghicp/Shoghi Cervantes was the founder of PocketMine, a server software for PE, he was hired by Mojang and PocketMine was incorporated into PE. Still working on PE.

-Darngeek/Daniel Wustenhoff is a developer for PE, seems to be working on functional redstone for version 0.13.

-TAlaeus/Thomas Alaeus who is apparently a dev, but I cannot find much info on as he doesn't post a lot online.

So seven devs, one of which is retired and two of which are "sort of kind of part time".

The wiki also points on that Microsoft Studios directly helps develop and publish the Windows Phone version of PE. Then whenever a new version of PE is ready to push, they shipped the code to MS Studios who then port the changes to their Win10 Version Branch using their own devs.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 12, 2015

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

xzzy posted:

The coolest feature so far is that mobile devices running PE can connect to Win10 games. Cross platform multiplayer loving owns.

My 8 year old is waiting very impatiently for the win10/xbone multi-player. I'm reasonably confident he'll piss himself when it actually works.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
A good change.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Enzer posted:

A good change.

Unfortunately probably fixing the bug where it locked repair costs forever instead.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Enzer posted:

A good change.

I take this to mean that renaming an item is no longer treated as repairing/combining/upgrading items, so it doesn't increase the cost incrementally like those do, right? They are not reverting things back to locking in a fixed upgrade cost for renamed items?

MikeJF posted:

Unfortunately probably fixing the bug where it locked repair costs forever instead.

That has not been in the game for a long time.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Jamesman posted:

I take this to mean that renaming an item is no longer treated as repairing/combining/upgrading items, so it doesn't increase the cost incrementally like those do, right? They are not reverting things back to locking in a fixed upgrade cost for renamed items?

That has not been in the game for a long time.

Yeah, naming an item doesn't count as repairing/combining/upgrading the item anymore so it doesn't increase the cost meaning you can rename an item an infinite amount of times for the same XP cost until you do one of the before mentioned actions to force an update to the base enchantment cost.

And yeah, I was gonna say, locking the XP cost of an item hasn't been around since, what, 1.6?

Also, speaking of enchantments, Dinnerbone is working on new one.

Obvious guess is a freeze enchantment for boots. The addition of cracked ice is interesting, wonder if those are weakpoints that form or if that is the ice melting away (really hope so otherwise fixing that poo poo on servers after a few months is going to be annoying).
Still, very cool.

Also Jeb posted an image of what the different cape skins turn into when you wear the new Elytra item, said that he is working on making it editable like the player skin so that each player can have a custom look, but there is no ETA on that feature as of yet.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 13, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Why not just make naming free while you're at it? Or at least a lot cheaper?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It was always stupid and anti-fun that you have to pay levels to name items and find extremely rare and uncraftable items to name mobs.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Vib Rib posted:

Why not just make naming free while you're at it? Or at least a lot cheaper?

you can't just "give" a sword a name... that's gaijin talk

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Enzer posted:

Also, speaking of enchantments, Dinnerbone is working on new one.

Obvious guess is a freeze enchantment for boots. The addition of cracked ice is interesting, wonder if those are weakpoints that form or if that is the ice melting away (really hope so otherwise fixing that poo poo on servers after a few months is going to be annoying).
Still, very cool.
Awesome; freezy boots were something I never, ever took off in a modpack unless I needed to do a big jump.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Can they just put mini maps in while they are at it? Every time I go back to vanilla that is the first thing that I install.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Slowpoke! posted:

Can they just put mini maps in while they are at it? Every time I go back to vanilla that is the first thing that I install.

Yeah, and I have trouble finding whatever version of Rei's is currently out. Some other guy is continuing Rei's work and my god, it's pretty convoluted to get the mod without the other bullshit.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, and I have trouble finding whatever version of Rei's is currently out. Some other guy is continuing Rei's work and my god, it's pretty convoluted to get the mod without the other bullshit.

I've found Xaero's Minimap to be pretty decent. Needs Forge, but Forge is also pretty painless, and nicely integrates into the default launcher as just another profile. Also up do date with the latest 1.8.whatever.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The #1 mod that needs to be integrated into vanilla is something like NEI. If I could ever only install one mod, that would be it. Being able to see, search, and sort in-game recipes at a glance makes a big difference, it provides serverside tools in one click, and it has a bunch of handy features like seeing mob-spawning light levels in a really easy to read way, displaying chunk boundaries, and so on. The fact that there's literally no in-game recipe book even after all this time is pretty absurd.
If you didn't read the wiki I know most people wouldn't even know you could craft doors, much less things like TNT or daylight sensors. Then again most people would probably never find the Nether or the End either. If you played totally blind with no wiki or online recipe list, you'd miss so much of the game's content, and that boggles my mind.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
NEI and actual maps/minimaps really should be official features by now. It is kind of insane that they or something very similar to them aren't already.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Instead of NEI, we should basically just have the Minecraft Pocket Edition Crafting system.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
While I do agree that the in game map system needs a pretty heavy overhaul, I do enjoy how holding a map in your offhand slot works in 1.9. If they could make the recipe more sane and reworked how it acts (I would love being able to combine map pages together as an inventory item so it just scrolls around, basically the first map crafted centers where you are and then each additional map added adds around the edges of the first map. Starts out pretty decently zoomed out and you can zoom in for better details without having to re-craft the item. Would keep the same feel without out right adding a HUD map).

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Vib Rib posted:

The #1 mod that needs to be integrated into vanilla is something like NEI. If I could ever only install one mod, that would be it. Being able to see, search, and sort in-game recipes at a glance makes a big difference, it provides serverside tools in one click, and it has a bunch of handy features like seeing mob-spawning light levels in a really easy to read way, displaying chunk boundaries, and so on. The fact that there's literally no in-game recipe book even after all this time is pretty absurd.
If you didn't read the wiki I know most people wouldn't even know you could craft doors, much less things like TNT or daylight sensors. Then again most people would probably never find the Nether or the End either. If you played totally blind with no wiki or online recipe list, you'd miss so much of the game's content, and that boggles my mind.

I wouldn't mind something like NEI if it were given some (any) visual polish.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Vib Rib posted:

The console crafting system is something that more than made up for some of the other limitations of the platform. Being able to see all the stuff you can make, and what you need to make it, then one button crafting to actually make it. Should have been rolled into PC Minecraft a long time ago.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Parkingtigers posted:

The console crafting system is something that more than made up for some of the other limitations of the platform. Being able to see all the stuff you can make, and what you need to make it, then one button crafting to actually make it. Should have been rolled into PC Minecraft a long time ago.

Given that 1.9 introduces a lot of Pocket Edition features, I do feel like they're moving to pull the two to parity.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Despite the crafting system being super obtuse in the worst ways - a fact very much highlighted if you've ever played some of the higher tier tech mods - I really do quite like the idea of arranging sticks and ingots to make a pick, and I wouldn't want to lose that sort of spatial interaction for clicking a button.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
An option in the menus to turn on 'simple crafting' or whathaveyou would be a good compromise; having it on would allow you to just make what you want from what you have available at a crafting table, Terraria style, while the off option would be what we have now. It'd also make it easier for kids to play and they are no small part of Minecraft's playing audience.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Umbra Dubium posted:

Despite the crafting system being super obtuse in the worst ways - a fact very much highlighted if you've ever played some of the higher tier tech mods - I really do quite like the idea of arranging sticks and ingots to make a pick, and I wouldn't want to lose that sort of spatial interaction for clicking a button.
Tools are fantastic. Sticks and ingots to make axes, picks, swords, shovels, and hoes kinda spoils you for the rest of the game; it's just so natural to build them, you forget you had to make a 2x2 grid of wood for some reason to make the block to make them.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Parkingtigers posted:

I always preferred Terraria's system of just "here's what it costs, click to make it". It's quick, streamlined, and accessible. The biggest advantage is that you can have more recipes that use the same resources. A lot of mods pile on intermediary recipes because they want you to have to spend like 20 ingots, 8 pearls, 12 coal, and whatever else to make a single object, but you can't cram all that into a 3x3, so they have you craft gears and matrices and all sorts of poo poo in the meantime. If anyone uses something like Thermal Expansion or Applied Energistics, just imagine how much easier crafting in that would be if you could just go straight from raw materials to finished product without having to make all those things in between.
I guess some people would argue crafting the machine frame, the gears, the coils, the buckets/axes/bricks, the hardened glass, and the compiled machines is part of the fun, but frankly I'd rather just see a list of materials and be done with it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My little brother, who is 8, plays Minecraft and I think he really would benefit from a simple crafting mode or something. He can never remember that poo poo. My dad knows the crafting recipes for all the tools by heart and he doesn't even play video games. :haw:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'd like to split the difference: use the grid to make simple things like tools where you memorize a few shapes and can substitute various materials to get different things. Use a menu to make complicated things, like most of the weird poo poo mods add.

The tactical feel of crafting is something that sets minecraft apart, just the act of putting pieces together even if it's a set pattern makes crafting feel more like crafting. But it gets really annoying when you have stuff like thermal expansion where you have a hundred machines you'll be making repeatedly that each require multi-step operations and their own ingredient sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What does the hunger system add to the game? What is it for? It doesn't seem like it really does much, and having to constantly be growing/hunting food is just busywork to distract from the more fun busywork of gathering building materials.