Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Potato Salad posted:

> Gaming skill
> Endgame and goals
> Walking simulator

:psyduck:

If it's entertainment and something other than rote real life, it's a game. You don't even need to be able to interact with the medium to turn something into a game. Example: movie drinking games.

Holy poo poo the puritanical categorization some people attempt to create.

Gamers are largely a bunch of dumb screaming children and listening to them makes me feel like I'm in day care. I hadn't heard then argue against minecraft being a game because I really did not want to hear them talk about minecraft anyway, but it does not surprise me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Potato Salad posted:

> Gaming skill
> Endgame and goals
> Walking simulator

:psyduck:

If it's entertainment and something other than rote real life, it's a game. You don't even need to be able to interact with the medium to turn something into a game. Example: movie drinking games.

Holy poo poo the puritanical categorization some people attempt to create.
No but you see Gone Home shouldn't be counted as a "Game" because I've personaly come up with a definition of the word Game that excludes things I don't like.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

As a game developer few things tire me more than the "what's a game/is this a game or not?" debate. Like, no one in my professional circles gives any shits, we just want to make cool stuff. We look at the gaming press/blogs/social media sphere and shake our heads.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I thought the whole deal was that it came off as really lame?
Yeah I don't give a toss about the game/notgame argument that was going on, I just think it's bad. It's somehow both bizarre and trite, and it feels like it really think it's clever. Pretentious might not be the best word, but I definitely feel like a ten minute crawl about "whooaaa you're actually playing a computer game and we're acknowledging that" is not a good thing. Even if it could have been, the delivery is just so clumsy.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
No you can use pretentious for that.
It was loving lame.

But it's a .txt in the .jar so with a little know how you can replace it and have the denouement be "Did I ever tell you about the man who taught his rear end in a top hat to talk?"

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I should really go in and replace the .txt with the John Galt speech.

I never go to The End anyways so it's not like it'll really affect me. :v:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Not trying to judge Minecraft but I always enjoyed the Game/Toy comparison that Maxis did with stuff like SimLife and SimEarth. The real life version would be Dodgeball (a game) versus a rubber ball (a toy). There is structured play involved with dodgeball, while playing with a ball is unstructured with tons more possibilities. So yeah even if Minecraft isn't a video "game", it's still the most popular "video toy" ever made.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I do feel there can be a distinction between a game and a toy, but this distinction is utterly irrelevant when it comes to the videogame industry. Things will not be called videotoys, and things that don't strictly define themselves as games will be called videogames and that's fine.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's an interesting conversation to have, though, since the terms are easily definable and understood and bring different but relatable paradigms with them. The consumer public might never give a poo poo, but I know I've actually had conversations about the toy vs game concept.

The "game or not a game" debate is freshman game design student fluff garbage.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mutata posted:

It's an interesting conversation to have, though, since the terms are easily definable and understood and bring different but relatable paradigms with them. The consumer public might never give a poo poo, but I know I've actually had conversations about the toy vs game concept.

The "game or not a game" debate is freshman game design student fluff garbage.
I have a friend who couldn't really comprehend Minecraft because she didn't understand the point. It doesn't have any plot whatsoever, or a universal antagonist, or a prescribed goal to overcome. In survival/adventure modes, there is some kind of interaction, and there are positive/negative consequences. Even modded stuff just adds recursive chains of making machines to make machines to make machines. Or in the case of adventure or combat packs, it's just a random amusement park of various attractions to wander between.

The hardcore questing mode modpacks have at least added some superficial objectives, although it comes down usually to basics of crafting a thing, visiting somewhere, killing a specific thing, or just having something on-hand. But you have stuff like Blightfall that have put a whole plot around it. I think it would be hard to argue that Minecraft with these packs is not a game.

Base survival and adventure? Well, now there is the Ender dragon so, yeah, I guess there's a goal. There's not much of a real antagonist or anything. I just acted like endermen were like insecure bullies that do a "you lookin' at me?" spiel when you looked at them, and the destruction of their world is necessary to eliminate their dysfunctional behavior. :p

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just explain minecraft as computer lego.

To date everyone has been "oh that makes sense" and moves on with their life.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The place where I start to wonder about the meaning of game is things like Dear Esther, which is almost like a 3D rendered novella, an audiobook with some imagery. Things always get blurry at the edges where mediums cross, though. That's half the point. It's not a bad thing.

Minecraft is clearly a game, though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 1, 2016

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

MikeJF posted:

The place where I start to wonder about the meaning of game is things like Dear Esther, which is almost like a 3D rendered novella, an audiobook with some imagery. Things always get blurry at the edges where mediums cross, though. That's half the point. It's not a bad thing.

Minecraft is clearly a game, though.

Sorry, you can't pet the dogs, not valid.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Magmarashi posted:

Sorry, you can't pet the dogs, not valid.

I tamed a wolf, named him Dogsong.mp3, and waggle my mouse up and down at him while saying "pat pat" whenever I pass by.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Fortis posted:

I tamed a wolf, named him Dogsong.mp3, and waggle my mouse up and down at him while saying "pat pat" whenever I pass by.

Hmm...alright, I'll allow it, but only cause I like your face, kid.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Fortis posted:

^ This fella knows where it's at. I'm doing this from now on.

You've invented dogpatting, Fortis. Congrats.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Fortis posted:

Just tested this, can confirm it also works on console Minecraft too. Bravo sir, invention of the year.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Someone made a CommandStudio for Minecraft; it's an open source command block editor. You write your commands directly in the editor and then you can compile them into one single command.
It runs directly in your browser, no installation needed.

More over on Reddit.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
"What is game" arguments are really dumb 99% of the time, and they're even more (BONUS DUMB) so when you pick a thing that is pretty undeniably a game.

Just as not every game needs a narrative (Tetris), having an end game/victory condition is not a requirement of all games. Plenty of games (Especially early/arcade) games had no set ending, barring game bugs. Pacman, etc.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
To be fair, almost every one of those classic games had top scores as the ultimate goal.

Minecraft is just a sandbox game, not really any different than something like SimCity or any builder in non-compaign mode. So if people are still arguing that MC isn't a game, then neither is SimCity 4, which didn't even have scenarios or acrologies. It also means the Sims isn't a game either. Or almost any simulator that didn't have some kind of campaign/scenario scheme.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

ToastyPotato posted:

To be fair, almost every one of those classic games had top scores as the ultimate goal.

Minecraft is just a sandbox game, not really any different than something like SimCity or any builder in non-compaign mode. So if people are still arguing that MC isn't a game, then neither is SimCity 4, which didn't even have scenarios or acrologies. It also means the Sims isn't a game either. Or almost any simulator that didn't have some kind of campaign/scenario scheme.

I think a lot of the problem here is a false game/something else dichotomy. It can be a game and be a city simulator or traffic modeling program or survival simulator or or or and it's ok to be more than one thing at a time. Hell when I did data entry for an insurance verification place several of us treated that poo poo as a game and the goal was to process more insurance loving faster so the number at the top of the screen got bigger.

EDIT: I realized after the fact, that's already a game too, it's called "Papers, Please."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Didn't Minecraft introduce a score mechanic that didn't really do anything?

edit: yeah, total experience points collected since last death. That's... kind of an arbitrary measurement? Since a lot of things necessary for survival don't provide experience points.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Fuego Fish posted:

Didn't Minecraft introduce a score mechanic that didn't really do anything?

edit: yeah, total experience points collected since last death. That's... kind of an arbitrary measurement? Since a lot of things necessary for survival don't provide experience points.

It's not really a score. You spend the experience levels on tool modifiers, better ones need more levels.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Acne Rain posted:

It's not really a score. You spend the experience levels on tool modifiers, better ones need more levels.

I'm aware of that, but there is a score mechanic that is separate to the enchantment process. Every piece of experience you collect, regardless of if it is spent or not, is added to that score and it only resets on death.

Which I think is dumb because you can do stuff without gaining experience, even fighting due to the way experience points are a literal pickup.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

"This isn't really a game" always boils down to "I don't like this game for a completely stupid reason because I am a pissbaby, and will make up something that sounds more legit than 'i poo poo myself' as an excuse"

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Magmarashi posted:

"This isn't really a game" always boils down to "I don't like this game for a completely stupid reason because I am a pissbaby, and will make up something that sounds more legit than 'i poo poo myself' as an excuse"

I agree (and almost posted the exact same thing) but there are definitely examples of 'games' that I really wish had more, well, 'game' there.

For example maybe more got added eventually, but when I tried the mobile game 'Tiny Tower', I really was left wishing there was more 'game' there. There weren't really 'skills' or knowledge to be truly gained for the most part, it was mostly just an build-timer idle game. Where I liked the presentation but was hoping for a new Yoot Tower o rsomething.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
https://twitter.com/_tomcc/status/763311339997696000

Whaaaat

This is a pretty incredible development.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

What does this mean?

Idles
Dec 31, 2007
Just idling.
Rather than a lot of the behavior of a given entity (monster) being hardcoded into the game, it's instead loaded from data files. This means modders can much more easily change or add them, without mucking about as much (or at all) in the game code.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
It's basically the first step towards turning resource packs into full-blown mods. No more need for Forge or whatever, you can just have details in the resource pack that says "clone the skeleton, use this texture, make it drop these items on death, it spawns in the following biomes".

Admittedly that's probably still a long way off, but dang it's something to look forward to.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Note that this is from Tommaso, so it's likely Pocket/Win10

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So I saw on Twitter that there is going to be a stream detailing 1.11 at Minecon? Is this news or am I just crawling out from under a rock?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Do we have a thread for Minecraft tech support? Having a bit of a headache trying to connect to the server I am trying to run from computers not on my network. Double-checked my port forwarding and all the normal dummy stuff, to no avail.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Make sure it's listening on ipv4, not ipv6.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Fayk posted:

Make sure it's listening on ipv4, not ipv6.

netstat -a showing 0.0.0.0:25565 indicates listening on ipv4, right?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Having not followed minecraft development for years at this point, what is the state of the non-java version compared to the java version?

I remember reading something about it generally performing better but that it was playing catch-up in terms of content.

Is it the case that they're at feature-parity and there's basically just two different(and mp incompatible?) versions of the game with different levels of mod support and varying popularity?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
i play on a Dell laptop with a lovely video/processor. Java version can be a little slow for me, even vanilla with lowered graphics. The microsoft version plays quite well with much higher graphics.
If they allowed the new version to be modded I would be a very happy camper.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Another twitter tidbit stated that 1.11 will be Survival Mode focused, which is nice to hear. I wonder how big of a patch it is slated to be.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

Another twitter tidbit stated that 1.11 will be Survival Mode focused, which is nice to hear. I wonder how big of a patch it is slated to be.

No clue about size, but they've seemed to have been mostly focused on bug fixes so far (they've announced that actual content prerelease updates wont hit till its revealed at Minecon).

Speaking of Minecon, it starts tomorrow, September 24-25.

You can watch is being streamed from a link on this page: https://minecraft.net/en/minecon/

They also have the schedule already up, located here: https://minecraft.net/en/minecon/schedule/

Points of interest:

-1:30pm - 2:30pm Saturday 24th, Talking Pocket Edition/Windows 10 with the Developers

-4:30pm - 5:30pm Saturday 24th, Coming Soon on Minecraft Console Editions

-11:00am - 12:00pm Sunday 25th, The Minecraft 1.11 Change Log

-2:00pm - 3:00pm Sunday 25th, A casual chat with Jens - lead developer of Minecraft

-:siren:3:30pm - 4:30pm Sunday 25th, Extensions for Minecraft: Our plans for Plugins and Add-Ons :siren:

I was not expecting them to have an actual panel on plugins and add-ons, they usually do their best to dodge any questions on the subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
For those who care, the 1.11 change log panel will be starting in about two minutes and will continue on for the next hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b1kMBSb-tQ