Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The new mobs and the new box are cool. But again, it all just feels like an early test of features, rather than completed features bulking up the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
OK, so this is what I wrote down after watching it.

Cursed Enchantments
-Two curses
-Curse of binding, cannot remove armor items, armor items only.
-Curse of vanishing, item disappears on death
-Designed for maps but can be found in the wild

Observer Block
-Six cobble, 2 redstone, 1 nether quartz
-Redstone out put when block update occurs next to block
-Observer only detects for block updates from its front
-BUD redstone mechanics still remain

Portals to escape End Islands
-Randomly generated structures found across the outer ring that spawns after killing the ender dragon.
-Requires an enderpearl to enter
-Takes you back to the center island that has the portal to the overworld
-Have a beacon effect when far away

Shulker Shell
-New item drop for the Shulker mob

Shulker Box
-Made by combining a chest with two shulker shells
-Has the appearance of and animates like a shulker mob
-Keeps inventory even when broken
-Pops as a block entity when pushed by a piston
-Can be placed by a dispenser
-Shows contents when moused over in player inventory
-Cannot put Shulker Boxes inside Shulker Boxes
-Can be used to make an item transportation system
-Additional features they have not revealed yet and are waiting for people to find on their own

Cartographer and Treasure Maps
-Cartographer villager mob. Buys and sells maps, compasses and and Treasure Maps (Exploration maps, comes as both Forest and Water maps)
-Treasure Maps are a special, semi-filled out map of an area somewhere out in the world (shows an outline of the terrain, but not colored in)
-Treasure Maps can show the location of things such as Ocean Monuments or other structures
-Maps are oriented towards north, you figure out which direction you need to go into based on where your location marker is on the edge of the map (so bottom right hand corner means you need to head North West) with distance determined by how small your icon is on the map.

Locate Command
-/Locate will give you the coords to the nearest structure to you (Nether Fortress, End City, Villages, Mineshafts, Temples etc)
-Command runs as /locate [Structure Name], so /locate EndCity
-Can use the arguments for @P or a defined coordinate to start the search from

Woodland Mansion
-New overworld dungeon, is a large 3+ story wood and stone mansion.
-Jeb says that is is procedurally generated.
-Is a very uncommon spawn, best to use Woodland Treasure Maps to locate
-Built using the new structure block system and new loot table system.
-Besides zombies and skeletons, houses 3 new mobs.

"Villaingers"
-Out casts from the villages turned evil, comes in two varieties
-Evoker
Aggressive Villager who summons small flying demon mobs called Vexes can also attack by summing a line of chomping teeth that shoot up from the ground. Has a special casting animation

-Vex
About the size of a single block, is able to fly and does swooping attacks, attacks with a sword

-Vindicator
Aggressive Villager who uses an axe to attack, has a strong Jack Torrance from the Shining feel to it

Totem of Undying
-Dropped by the new Evoker mob
-Held in the off hand
-If you die while holding it, it instantly revives you and gives you health regeneration and a short period of absorption
-Consumed on death
-New item use animation for when used

Llamas
-Can be tamed and ridden like a horse
-Can have carpet placed on their back for decorations
-Each type of carpet has its own design
-Can also be given a chest for storage
-Defends themselves with a spit projectile attack, they attack wild wolves on sight and so can be used to guard your livestock from them
-Jeb says that they form "caravans". He didn't expand on this, but from the footage it showed him leading one llama with a lead with several llamas following after

I will update this post with images when I can.

Snapshot with this content will be available next Wednesday the 28th, says that the patch is almost ready to go live.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 25, 2016

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
None of that makes me interested in playing this game again.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Jamesman posted:

ok

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jamesman posted:

I'm with ya, man, but more power to them. We as goons (and gamers in general) have mostly moved on from Minecraft, but judging by how my cousin's 7 year old son talks about the game, you'd think he had some sort of doctorate in it. He's on PS4, so I don't know when he'll see these updates, but there's still a rabid fanbase who are just eating this stuff up.

I just can't be bothered anymore, though, now that Limecraft is gone :negative:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Yeah, the playerbase of Minecraft is not who it was in 2011 (outside of weird hangers-on who still have fun with it like me) so content updates are just not gonna revive that magic and novelty. At this point my opinion of content patches is always "that's neat" because, well, they usually are, and I'm more concerned about how easy it will be to update a modded world. 1.9.4 to 1.10 was super easy, so here's hoping 1.10 to 1.11 will be pretty much the same.

Edit: But more importantly, I paid 20 bucks for this game in 2011 and have gotten years of enjoyment out of it. Being upset that what essentially amounts to free bonus content isn't interesting to me just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 25, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The game is definitely in its twilight, the only way to fix that is with some of the ridiculous mods that are out there. If Mojang wants a say in it they're going to be forced to implement a real worldgen instead of a crappy noise function making everything.

All the stuff they're adding now is quality of life stuff that should have been in the game four years ago. Adding llamas ain't gonna cut it boys.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oh man, yeah, I bought MC at $10, and that's been the second most valuable tenbux I've ever spent, right behind my reg on here :toot:

At this point, there are so many sandbox + crafting + survival games, ones that also are more of a 'game' than Minecraft, that it's tough to go back into this with any sense of wonder or excitement.

Sucks, but what can you do? MC has incredible replay value with a certain type of gamer... for a long but ultimately limited time. Mods help, though.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

xzzy posted:

The game is definitely in its twilight, the only way to fix that is with some of the ridiculous mods that are out there. If Mojang wants a say in it they're going to be forced to implement a real worldgen instead of a crappy noise function making everything.

All the stuff they're adding now is quality of life stuff that should have been in the game four years ago. Adding llamas ain't gonna cut it boys.

Twilight for us, maybe, but not as a whole.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

There was another blockgame in recent memory that also added long-necked, wool-bearing ungulates toward the end of its lifecycle as an appeal to zany internet sensibilities, and look what happened to them.

They're Starbound, that's what.

Llamas are a sign of the end times, I tell you! Repent!

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Thanks for the write-up Enzer!

Fortis posted:

Edit: But more importantly, I paid 20 bucks for this game in 2011 and have gotten years of enjoyment out of it.

Same. I don't even need new content to want to keep playing. Maybe the thing is I'm slow at getting things done, whereas all the people who can go from starting in a world to full enchanted diamond armor in a few days or less get bored much quicker.

I like the sound of the new content, but I obviously have low standards. It'd be nice if they came out with something that did actually get former players to come back, but I can't really imagine what would do that. Perhaps some kind of change so drastic that it drove away the more casual players like me?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The Shulker Box sounds kind of cool but also simultaneously a microcosm of my problem with the resource cost/gating that the game and a lot of mods fall back on. It sounds like it's basically just a box you can transport more easily (with a bunch of other limitations to boot) but it requires you to beat the loving End Dragon, basically the ultimate challenge of the game, just to get to. I remember using a mod that allowed me to pick up and move chests (with contents intact) called Chest Transporter and all you needed to make the little chest-grabber tool was 6 sticks. It broke afterwards and slowed you down while carrying it but it didn't need Shulker Shells or anything like that.

I guess my point is I just don't see how a slight improvement to transporting items is considered such an overpowered ability you can't get it till the end of the game. It feels similar to how the Applied Energistics mod needs rare charged quartz ore to get started, a constant electricity feed to run, lots of complex crafting with unique machines, and a huge resource sink of materials just so you can... have a centralized, organized inventory. Like saving you a few seconds when you drop something off, or easily retrieving something without digging around in a dozen chests first, is such an unreasonable thing to want that of course you need to fence it off behind so many velvet ropes. It's a huge price for a little bit of convenience.
It's even worse than limiting potions to post-Nether [Fort] progression. Potions would be super handy to have in the early-mid game, and especially things like night vision early on or fire resistance when first reaching the Nether, but by the time they're really feasible you're probably only going to use the health/strength ones and not a lot else. But being able to move your chests around is something that would be really welcome early on more than anywhere. I know I'm not alone in making an early, temporary base to get my bearings and survive nights, and then looking for a more convenient/scenic location to settle into permanently. The biggest chore is always migrating from the former to the latter, and having chests hold their inventories would be really convenient early on when you're first getting settled into a long-term home.

Instead, shulkers. :sigh:
I know this one's on me, because everyone has different priorities of what's important in the game, what matters, what should cost more, but I really don't like the ongoing trend of treating slight quality of life improvements as holy grails we have to earn first.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Minecraft in general does have a fairly big issue with not ever letting the player feel really powerful(on top of quality of life stuff like that).

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
lets just plop an endgame dungeon right on the overworld map in some forest

the single resource it gives you is one-time save you from death dolls that the crowd who would use this term would scream overpowered

yet moving chests with their contents is post-enderdragon

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

The Shulker Box sounds kind of cool but also simultaneously a microcosm of my problem with the resource cost/gating that the game and a lot of mods fall back on. It sounds like it's basically just a box you can transport more easily (with a bunch of other limitations to boot) but it requires you to beat the loving End Dragon, basically the ultimate challenge of the game, just to get to. I remember using a mod that allowed me to pick up and move chests (with contents intact) called Chest Transporter and all you needed to make the little chest-grabber tool was 6 sticks. It broke afterwards and slowed you down while carrying it but it didn't need Shulker Shells or anything like that.

I guess my point is I just don't see how a slight improvement to transporting items is considered such an overpowered ability you can't get it till the end of the game. It feels similar to how the Applied Energistics mod needs rare charged quartz ore to get started, a constant electricity feed to run, lots of complex crafting with unique machines, and a huge resource sink of materials just so you can... have a centralized, organized inventory. Like saving you a few seconds when you drop something off, or easily retrieving something without digging around in a dozen chests first, is such an unreasonable thing to want that of course you need to fence it off behind so many velvet ropes. It's a huge price for a little bit of convenience.
It's even worse than limiting potions to post-Nether [Fort] progression. Potions would be super handy to have in the early-mid game, and especially things like night vision early on or fire resistance when first reaching the Nether, but by the time they're really feasible you're probably only going to use the health/strength ones and not a lot else. But being able to move your chests around is something that would be really welcome early on more than anywhere. I know I'm not alone in making an early, temporary base to get my bearings and survive nights, and then looking for a more convenient/scenic location to settle into permanently. The biggest chore is always migrating from the former to the latter, and having chests hold their inventories would be really convenient early on when you're first getting settled into a long-term home.

I know this one's on me, because everyone has different priorities of what's important in the game, what matters, what should cost more, but I really don't like the ongoing trend of treating slight quality of life improvements as holy grails we have to earn first.

Jeb actually did a Q&A today and he lightly talked about the design process for the Shulker Box and why they went this direction instead of doing something like a low cost leather backpack. While you may not agree with why they did it based on your post, it does feel that they at least gave some thought to it. Turns out it was also designed by ProfMobius,the modder who made Jabba, a barrel storage mod that included a dolly to move the position of chests.

The specific time stamp for it is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b1kMBSb-tQ&t=18220s

And the panel starts here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b1kMBSb-tQ&t=16289s

Lot of interesting topics do come up, including Jeb admitting that he believes that more ambient mobs like birds are long overdue and thinking about changing how the current sky box for night works and that it could be changed and used as a game mechanic. Jeb also discusses that the team only does long term planning for back end changes to the engine while content changes are usually designed spur of the moment with each patch.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 26, 2016

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Vib Rib posted:

Not to say your point about velvet ropes isn't valid, but even without shulker boxes you can just go and get yourself a donkey, or make storage minecarts, to help move stuff around in bulk. Also, potions are certainly useful earlier on, and fire resistance is sure useful when you're trying to get some blaze rods :v: However, you can just isolate a few blazes, snipe them, take their rods back to your base and make fire resistance potions. I guess potions are a lot more vital when you go to kill the ender dragon, so it seems to me like there's a sort of natural progression.

In fact, maybe the point of shulker boxes is to force less adventurous players, who don't feel the need to have purple blocks or wings, to go kill the dragon. If you just let people have stuff without a challenge, things are too easy and you get bored with the game too quickly, but if things are too challenging and there's no reward then plenty of players won't bother with the challenge. I still haven't bothered to kill a wither, for example.

Blind Duke posted:

lets just plop an endgame dungeon right on the overworld map in some forest

the single resource it gives you is one-time save you from death dolls that the crowd who would use this term would scream overpowered

yet moving chests with their contents is post-enderdragon

Maybe the mobs in the haunted forest mansion or whatever it is called are actually really hard to kill though?

Enzer posted:

content changes are usually designed spur of the moment with each patch.

You don't say!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
There's something both endearing and maddening that after all these years, a buyout from Microsoft, the departure of Notch, and so many different "long term" update cycles...til this game still just has random poo poo tossed in because someone at the office thought it would be cool and had a few minutes to kill to implement it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I feel shulker boxes are less to allow you to move items yourself easily, and more about being an enabling factor in giant automated factories.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

MikeJF posted:

I feel shulker boxes are less to allow you to move items yourself easily, and more about being an enabling factor in giant automated factories.
Who even builds "giant automated factories" in vanilla minecraft? For what purpose? The only thing I can even think of is like a cobblestone generator or wood farm to get building material?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

Who even builds "giant automated factories" in vanilla minecraft? For what purpose? The only thing I can even think of is like a cobblestone generator or wood farm to get building material?

Hi.

I automate everything because I can? What the hell else am I going to do with a billion redstone?

At the moment, I've got:
  • Auto pumpkin/watermelon farm
  • Auto sugarcane farm
  • Auto pigman tower
  • Auto cowkiller (you do have to breed them by hand)
  • Turbofarm™ for wheat/potatoes/carrots/beetroot
I've also had a fully automated chicken farm, but I don't have one at the moment because I've got a zombie/skeleton dual-dungeon XP farm and I'm already drowning in arrows.

Also, fully adjustable enchanting setup so I can have 1-15 bookshelves on tap to maximize my chances for building up the enchants I want.

That's half the fun for me, alongside finding cool terrain and making a neat structure that incorporates itself into it.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Exactly. Personally, I think the endgame of Minecraft is making Minecraft craft everything for me so I don't have to mine or craft to play Minecraft.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Saeka posted:

Exactly. Personally, I think the endgame of Minecraft is making Minecraft craft everything for me so I don't have to mine or craft to play Minecraft.
Can you really automate crafting though? I've seen that youtube video of the huge automated drill so I know that mining's possible, if more trouble than it's worth.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

For a moment I got excited since I thought they were actually going to put in a new mechanic or something to the game. It's kind of tiring hearing about a new update for this game for it to literally turn out to be that they've added a couple new mobs and structures to the game. Honestly, Mojang's priorities at this point seem less like that of a dev team and more like that of a bunch of modders continuously adding minor additions to a pack that's long since lost any kind of direction or purpose. Has Mojang even added anything to the game in the last year or two that either has already been implemented or could easily be implemented by any average mod team?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I bought the game when it started selling and only played around 5 hours at most, all of them around that time. Since then I've been waiting for the next promised feature to make me interested but nothing ever did. So the real value I've gotten out of it is I've never bought any other EA game unless I liked it in enough in its current state, which is exactly 1 and that's Nuclear Throne which had incredible EA and has since gone gold. The only other games I'd consider buying in EA are Klei's games but in their case I paradoxically like to wait until they're finished because you get to play the whole thing and it doesn't take 5 years.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

lordfrikk posted:

I bought the game when it started selling and only played around 5 hours at most, all of them around that time. Since then I've been waiting for the next promised feature to make me interested but nothing ever did. So the real value I've gotten out of it is I've never bought any other EA game unless I liked it in enough in its current state, which is exactly 1 and that's Nuclear Throne which had incredible EA and has since gone gold. The only other games I'd consider buying in EA are Klei's games but in their case I paradoxically like to wait until they're finished because you get to play the whole thing and it doesn't take 5 years.
There are modpacks that turn it into a variety of completely different, great games. You should try Life in the Woods.

I think I might prefer the original LITW to Renaissance but to each his own.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Renaissance runs like complete poo poo for me for some reason.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

VerdantSquire posted:

For a moment I got excited since I thought they were actually going to put in a new mechanic or something to the game. It's kind of tiring hearing about a new update for this game for it to literally turn out to be that they've added a couple new mobs and structures to the game. Honestly, Mojang's priorities at this point seem less like that of a dev team and more like that of a bunch of modders continuously adding minor additions to a pack that's long since lost any kind of direction or purpose. Has Mojang even added anything to the game in the last year or two that either has already been implemented or could easily be implemented by any average mod team?

No absolutely not. They've done backend improvements which are great, but content-wise it pales in comparison to mods. And I don't just mean in breadth (obviously they can't compete there), but quality and overall direction and cohesiveness. Feels like they're just throwing random poo poo at the wall and have no real direction or goal, just kinda randomly add a mob or structure, which is.... Practically nothing at all.

There are mods that add entire world's full of new and cohesive mobs and structures and gameplay elements that have been churning out content for years for free, while Mojang (a company worth BILLIONS) has added only a tiny fraction of that. It's actually really sad. I have no idea how they manage to be so incompetent.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Mojang strikes me as being all developers and no game designers. They're focused on the big picture performance improvements and eventual expandability of the game with content packs or whatever. They are not really concerned about actual Game Content. This is why an actual modding API would have been a great thing, but I'll take the code not being majorly refactored anymore and Forge mods being easy to port forward.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
How much has performance really been improved over the last few updates?
Like a lot of my favorite mods were 1.7 and have not been updated.

Do the performance updates take into account what people do with minecraft? Automation is a popular hobby even in vanilla. Did they do anything about that, like fix hoppers? I haven't really noticed anything much different in how I've played the game.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I really have no idea what the improvements are exactly but I have noticed that starting in 1.9 my FPS has been at worst totally acceptable, which is a major improvement over 16 at best, 3 at worst, with almost no in between.

I'm not trying to be a Mojang apologist, here. When I say that they are all approaching Minecraft purely as developers and not as game designers, I am framing that as a negative. They should be doing both.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Acne Rain posted:

How much has performance really been improved over the last few updates?
Like a lot of my favorite mods were 1.7 and have not been updated.

Do the performance updates take into account what people do with minecraft? Automation is a popular hobby even in vanilla. Did they do anything about that, like fix hoppers? I haven't really noticed anything much different in how I've played the game.

If you want automation in a minecraft style game, pick up fortresscraft evolved. Its got automation out the wazoo.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Fortis posted:

I'm not trying to be a Mojang apologist, here. When I say that they are all approaching Minecraft purely as developers and not as game designers, I am framing that as a negative. They should be doing both.
It seems to me that they are lacking a cohesive vision by which to set the direction of Minecraft, which makes complete sense because that is not what developers should be doing on something this large. They can absolutely contribute and be a part of that definition but would probably benefit from someone looking at that perspective full-time. Someone who can analyze things bothering players, things that would delight new and existing players, things that are working well in other, similar games, and prioritize accordingly, hopefully using some form of measurement or quantification for value-add.

What I'm saying is, "Hey Mojang, I'll be your Minecraft Product Manager. Let's talk."

Also I like Sky Factory 2.5. It seems to have a ton of automation and I've only scratched the surface. In Vanilla, my #1 priority is to automate something to make at least one aspect of the game easier.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

JB50 posted:

If you want automation in a minecraft style game, pick up fortresscraft evolved. Its got automation out the wazoo.

I actually was just making a point since I actually vastly prefer magic mods.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

TheDK posted:

It seems to me that they are lacking a cohesive vision by which to set the direction of Minecraft, which makes complete sense because that is not what developers should be doing on something this large. They can absolutely contribute and be a part of that definition but would probably benefit from someone looking at that perspective full-time. Someone who can analyze things bothering players, things that would delight new and existing players, things that are working well in other, similar games, and prioritize accordingly, hopefully using some form of measurement or quantification for value-add...

Agreed. They don't have anyone dreaming the big dreams, and that's important for a project to grow in any meaningful way.

TheDK posted:

...Also I like Sky Factory 2.5. It seems to have a ton of automation and I've only scratched the surface. In Vanilla, my #1 priority is to automate something to make at least one aspect of the game easier.

We ran a Skyfactory server out of our basement rack-mount at the beginning of the year. It was awesome. Our motto for it was "Recreating Creative Mode in Survival" and we basically did just that. Before everyone lost interest, we were so far post-scarcity that we were automating anything we needed more than 10 of. We had automation to aid in automation, in fact, as we had machines making machines. It was glorious.

Totally not at all like traditional Minecraft, but amazingly fun.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ToastyPotato posted:

Renaissance runs like complete poo poo for me for some reason.
It's been a while since I've actually played it, but I feel like there was a specific problem that caused it and fixing that fixed everything else, and it ran buttery smooth.

It removed a bunch of mods from the original LITW that were great(like the various biome creatures, backpacks, etc) so it's not as good as the original though

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The best thing I ever made in modded minecraft was a trap that would shunt players into a warded glass dome surrounded by a kind of nightmare weed that would whisper lovecraftian secrets directly into the player's brain until they went completely insane.

A timer let them out after 5 minutes.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

lordfrikk posted:

only played around 5 hours at most, all of them around that time

:psypop::wtc:

Jesus christ, seriously? I must have a couple thousand hours sunk into playing modded minecraft on goon servers. You're missing out on the best fun of your life...

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Ambaire posted:

:psypop::wtc:

Jesus christ, seriously? I must have a couple thousand hours sunk into playing modded minecraft on goon servers. You're missing out on the best fun of your life...

Not everybody is as big a fan of soul-crushing tedium as some of us. Personally I'm really sick of automation and would like to see mods focus on things other than "things that make things to make other things that in turn make a vital component of a thing that's needed to make another thing in order to make a thing that makes things

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that's why I liked life in the woods, it was all about fleshing out the survival and worldgen aspect of the game, rather than the machinery aspect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I have fond memories of helping playtest the Technic Pack multiplayer, before it became Tekkit. One of the first things we did was spawn in Railcraft high speed rails and discover that exploding on them caused a client crash for anyone near the explosion. I also remember building a spaceship and taking a photo on the wing with some other goons here. This was way back in like, 1.2 or earlier I think, way before single player and multiplayer were merged.

I also have fond memories of playing on non-SA servers back in the beta 1.6/1.7 era. I still miss the pre-beta1.8 world generation. Remember finding crazy seeds and posting them for others to explore? How about the 404 Challenge?

That's the stuff I miss most when I think of minecraft. These days I just don't have as much time to play let alone be active on a server. It's too bad.