Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Honestly, if you are someone that is still waiting today for Minecraft to have that one update that draws you in after years of not caring/it not being your thing...you're going to be waiting to your death bed. It's ok to just let it go and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wouldn't be surprised if they've been avoiding mechanical changes while Microsoft brings Minecraft C++ to parity. I suspect dev focus is there.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Magmarashi posted:

Honestly, if you are someone that is still waiting today for Minecraft to have that one update that draws you in after years of not caring/it not being your thing...you're going to be waiting to your death bed. It's ok to just let it go and move on.
What if the update I'm waiting for is just for some of the mods to update?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

What if the update I'm waiting for is just for some of the mods to update?

This is the wrong thread, then

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MikeJF posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they've been avoiding mechanical changes while Microsoft brings Minecraft C++ to parity. I suspect dev focus is there.

What about the 5 years before that though

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I wish I understood better what the end goal for this version of Minecraft is, they just announced addons for the Windows 10 edition which is tighter controlled mods and themes and they keep porting features over, so is it eventually completely replacing the Java version or are both going to be developed in tandem etc?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In theory, they're going to be developing both and Java will be the dev playground and W10 will be brought up to parity following releases. In practice, however...

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The dev playground where in they poach an idea or two from the mod community or Pocket edition a few times a year. :v:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MikeJF posted:

In theory, they're going to be developing both and Java will be the dev playground and W10 will be brought up to parity following releases. In practice, however...

Am I correct in understanding that the Java version is Mojang and the W10 version is all MS? If that's the case, yeah W10 will be in parity or further within a year. Especially given the current pace.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Taffer posted:

Am I correct in understanding that the Java version is Mojang and the W10 version is all MS? If that's the case, yeah W10 will be in parity or further within a year. Especially given the current pace.

Not exactly.

Mojang develops Java and Pocket Edition. W10 has its own MS Devs, however those devs are not making W10 from scratch.

Instead what is happening is that Mojang's Pocket Devs work on the next patch for Pocket Edition, when that patch becomes "feature complete" and has most of the bugs sorted out, Mojang ships the code for Pocket over to the MS W10 team who then makes slight tweaks. Then the Pocket Edition is released, a week or so passes to see if any new bugs crop out and then W10 updates.

So all W10 is, is very slightly edited Pocket Edition code, changes made for it to run in a W10 PC environment instead of a cell phone or tablet.

Because of this, Mojang has full control of the pace being set for the W10 version and while Pocket Edition has been making great strides with getting parity with the Java version, they are still a long ways off and Pocket Edition has pretty long dev cycles.

As for the Addon system they showed off for Pocket/Win10, that is all based on the plans that the Java team has been talking about for the past three years, their website also implies that the system is being tested using Pocket and Win10 before being brought to other versions (it outright states that this system will be ported to all versions of MC eventually). It makes a lot of sense actually.

-Java edition is still at the state where they are unraveling and replacing old code and making things that are currently hardcoded no longer so so that other systems can plug into them.
-Pocket edition's code is a lot cleaner, having been written from the ground up after much of the basics of Java had already been figured out, it was also written by Jeb who has mare sane quality controle than Notch.
-As Pocket and W10 have no mods and its easier to get this system running on them now, it makes sense to release a "beta" version of the Addon/Plugin system for players to mess with.
-This gives Mojang feedback and allows them to mature the tools in a sensible fashion.
-When Java edition fixes its poo poo, they will then adapt this system as well, but will probably tweak it so it can work alongside Forge or a Forge replacement. The Java Devs have been pretty focal that they want to make the engine and game modular and easier to edit, but they also have been very vocal that they think that tools like Forge are important to Java's modding scene and have acknowledge that they wouldn't be able to outright replace it. So their plan and hope is to present a system that allows easier modding, but works alongside Forge so that the community is able to expand the tools in the ways they need.

I'm actually really confused about why people would assume that MS would tell Mojang to get rid of its Java version. MS doesn't run the development for the other versions and they don't even have full control of development for their W10 specific version. Cutting off a revenue stream doesn't make sense (Mojang isn't publicly traded, however I could see the value of the company dropping if they up and dropped their flagship version of their best selling game and essentially threw out the main devs for MC). Heck I am pretty sure MS doesn't even really care about what the devs do as long as they are able to keep using it as a marketing tool for things like Hololens, which is getting a version of MC completely separate from the W10 version from what I can remember. MS is essentially costing on fanbase good will and hype/interest generated by the game in order to make a long term return on their investment, doing something drastic that would have a purely negative response would be strangling the golden goose.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Cicadas! posted:

Not everybody is as big a fan of soul-crushing tedium as some of us. Personally I'm really sick of automation and would like to see mods focus on things other than "things that make things to make other things that in turn make a vital component of a thing that's needed to make another thing in order to make a thing that makes things

I was working on a mod to make Claiming land for multiplayer work like Risk.

You made a claim pedestal, (Each player can only own 1)
Each hour it would produce extension blocks (about 100 per hour at first try)
you can stack the extension blocks like you can with cobble (double compressed etc.)
you can only place the extension blocks in the chunk with the pedestal and connected chunks.,

You then claim out your area, to take a claim you have to place more extension blocks than the other player to then allow you to break blocks in that area and so remove their claim blocks.

So the owner of the most points in a chunk owns the chunk

unfortunately started it on 1.6.4 and the versions incremented quicker than my knowledge of Forge modding :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Enzer posted:

I'm actually really confused about why people would assume that MS would tell Mojang to get rid of its Java version. MS doesn't run the development for the other versions and they don't even have full control of development for their W10 specific version. Cutting off a revenue stream doesn't make sense (Mojang isn't publicly traded, however I could see the value of the company dropping if they up and dropped their flagship version of their best selling game and essentially threw out the main devs for MC). Heck I am pretty sure MS doesn't even really care about what the devs do as long as they are able to keep using it as a marketing tool for things like Hololens, which is getting a version of MC completely separate from the W10 version from what I can remember. MS is essentially costing on fanbase good will and hype/interest generated by the game in order to make a long term return on their investment, doing something drastic that would have a purely negative response would be strangling the golden goose.

Depends on their goals. I suspect one of the biggest aims of the Mojang acquisition was to push the W10 App Store and the W10 integrated game features by hooking Minecraft extensively into it. You know. Eventually. When they're done.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Don't forget showcasing the hololens.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
The observer blocks have a whole lot of potential for redstone creations. If you chain these things you can transmit a redstone signal near instantly in any direction, and I would assume any distance as long as it's in loaded chunks. Since they can read from a placed string, and send a short pulse, they can be used for a really fast automatic piston glitch elevator.

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

Bluemillion posted:

The observer blocks have a whole lot of potential for redstone creations. If you chain these things you can transmit a redstone signal near instantly in any direction, and I would assume any distance as long as it's in loaded chunks. Since they can read from a placed string, and send a short pulse, they can be used for a really fast automatic piston glitch elevator.

At 1 quartz per two blocks though. :(

Quartz sucks to mine in bulk.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Thorgot posted:

At 1 quartz per two blocks though. :(

Quartz sucks to mine in bulk.

I dunno, I'm pretty well stocked. Key is mining it with fortune III.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Hm. I need to figure out how to decorate exteriors and not just build Large Gray Boxes.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
What do people use to map their worlds nowadays? I'm using overviewer and it seems pretty slow.

E: ^What texture pack are you using, it looks gorgeous. I also really dig the castle, gives me some major Stronghold vibes.

Invisible Ted fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 4, 2016

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
The texture pack is ChromaHills, but most of the pretty is coming from Optifine and SEUS.

The problem with SEUS is it makes interiors/underground very dark, so I have to keep turning it off while going to mine.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

sfwarlock posted:

The texture pack is ChromaHills, but most of the pretty is coming from Optifine and SEUS.

The problem with SEUS is it makes interiors/underground very dark, so I have to keep turning it off while going to mine.

SEUS is legitimately one of the best things to come to MC, and I hope that, somehow, something like that is implemented officially into the Win10 version of the game, so I can run the game over 5fps :allears:

Mmmm, long shadows :swoon:

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010
An amusing easter egg they snuck in last week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWKG6Xhp0_I

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Damnit, none of my 360 DLC is available on the Bone. :smithicide:

All that money wasted.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
It's your own fault for buying an Xbox One. :v:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Java version has picked up a another new dev.

https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/785722900498243584

https://twitter.com/_LadyAgnes was also hired in August for the Java version, but I don't remember there being announcement.

While losing Dinnerbone to another TBA Mojang project kind of sucks, its good to see that they are growing the Java dev team still.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 12, 2016

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Enzer posted:

Java version has picked up a another new dev.

https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/785722900498243584

https://twitter.com/_LadyAgnes was also hired in August for the Java version, but I don't remember there being announcement.

While losing Dinnerbone to another TBA Mojang project kind of sucks, its good to see that they are growing the Java dev team still.

It's okay, maybe these devs will actually do things, compared to dinnerbone not doing things.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Was dinnerbone responsible for all the terrible monster mechanics though?

Also what wwas the end result of their discussions on modding at Minecon anyway?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

HiKaizer posted:

Was dinnerbone responsible for all the terrible monster mechanics though?

Also what wwas the end result of their discussions on modding at Minecon anyway?

Building up two systems, Plugins and Add-Ons. Implementation is starting on Pocket/Win10 as its easier to add this in and change things with those versions, once stable it will be ported to Java. Would work alongside Forge instead of being marketed as a replacement of Forge.

Add-ons are what Mojang describes as changes to the game that alter the way it looks or behaves without adding new behaviors. For example the most basic idea would be a resource pack is considered an Add-on, but something that changes the model and animations of a mob is an add-on and changing mob or block behavior would be considered an add-on (There examples given are things like making chickens ridable, adding varients of mobs like an iron golem with a different texture, model and AI that was a seperate entity from a normal iron golem, etc).

Plugins would be what we consider most Mods, these add new blocks, entities and behaviors found outside the vanilla game.

The overall plan is to get the Add-Ons system mostly fleshed out to work as a foundation for Plugin tools. Once those get to an acceptable level this will be ported to Java and, discussed outside of Minecon, there hope is that Forge will act as a Plugin which provides a library of functions that is curated by the community for additional functions that don't come shipped (which is honestly a better idea than Mojang attempting to add everything Forge does themselves and then people getting angry b/c it isn't exactly right).

https://minecraft.net/en/addons/faq/
The above link is basic information for add-ons.

This is the actual panel that talks about their plans, Searge (of MCP fame) seems to be the one heading off the tools for Plugins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2MNYIa411k

Interesting stuff is coming, but its still years out. :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What I'd love while they work on that is for:

- Java and Win10 to be brought to identical features and network protocols, so a Windows 10 client can connect to a vanilla Java server.
- allow servers to specify custom blocks and entities via resource packs to clients.

That'd give you the ability to run an awful lot of mods on W10 clients, since all the behaviour could be handled on modded Java servers which are handling the behaviour of the custom blocks, and all the client would have to do is render them where and how the server tells it to.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 13, 2016

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

MikeJF posted:

What I'd love while they work on that is for:

- Java and Win10 to be brought to identical features and network protocols, so a Windows 10 client can connect to a vanilla Java server.
- allow servers to specify custom blocks and entities via resource packs to clients.

That'd give you the ability to run an awful lot of mods on W10 clients, since all the behaviour could be handled on modded Java servers which are handling the behaviour of the custom blocks, and all the client would have to do is render them where and how the server tells it to.

I know MS is pushing for parity, but how much we will get is yet to be seen. That said, they are definitely pushing for the second thing you mentioned. Servers can already push resource packs to clients and the reasons why the devs changed texture packs to resource packs is because they will be the method of introducing new things to the game. They've demoed some of this at E3 apparently and the ability to make changes to entities and behaviors should be available this year. Hopefully something like new blocks will not be too far behind during this test phase.

Here is the very awkward presentation they gave at E3, you can see a decent example of modified behavior and entity models.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dc8JrTyC2I&t=54s

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I wonder if there'll ever be a Minecraft 2 at this rate. On the one hand, I've never seen a corporate-owned title have this kind of tenacity and sticking power without even talks of a sequel. On the other though, MC is lightning in a bottle and really relies on its aesthetic and presentation and quirks in so many ways that fans have come to expect. All these years later and there don't even appear to be any plans for it. I'd love to see what's possible when a team of competent coders get on it from the start, because even now it feels like so much of every update is still just dedicated to unraveling Notch's spaghetti code, and I bet they could make some amazing headway on a game with actually decent performance if they got to start from scratch. But it would be such a gamble and I doubt they'd want to take the risk until sales from MC start really drying up, and who knows when that will be.

Either way I think it's pretty safe to say MC2, if such a thing ever really happens, is unlikely to be as modular and malleable a thing as MC eventually became, and that alone could affect it greatly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Either way I think it's pretty safe to say MC2, if such a thing ever really happens, is unlikely to be as modular and malleable a thing as MC eventually became, and that alone could affect it greatly.

I dunno, if they built it from the start to be scriptable it could be much more so.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Do you think Microsoft thinks they got their moneys worth off of buying this game?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I think it's going to be a very long time before they make their money back.

They should have bought the game much earlier on and involved proper game designers.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

JB50 posted:

Do you think Microsoft thinks they got their moneys worth off of buying this game?

Yes. They've gotten literally a million Win 10 installs purely because little Timmy said, "oh cool I can get the newer version of Minecraft if I upgrade mommy's computer to Win 10."

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Minecraft is the new Solitaire or Space Cadet Pinball

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I'm surprised they didn't make it a thing that comes with Win10, seems like it would have been a decent way to drive adoption while exposing people to a game with a poo poo ton of merch available.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

They've also used it to showcase hololens which has gotten them a ton of attention in an emerging market. Also, the money they used to buy it was just sitting around doing nothing and buying what's basically Mickey mouse for a generation and a half looks way better to shareholders than "we have 4 billion sitting in an offshore doing nothing".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Blind Duke posted:

Minecraft is the new Solitaire or Space Cadet Pinball

No love for Hover?

https://youtu.be/uswy7qdylwo

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Chip's Challenge was my jam back on 3.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

FPzero posted:

Chip's Challenge was my jam back on 3.1.

Did you pick them up on Steam? Because it (and a sequel, that I think was recently made by the same guy) are on Steam for dirt cheap, in case you didn't know.