Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

StealthArcher posted:

Soooo. This lines up with 6pm CST (11:30 currently), any ideas?

Apparently he's trying to "deploy" it now. He was asking Mollstam for help, so it's something web related?
https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/102060719100534785

Stats maybe?

EDIT: Mollstam response:
I'm "warming up" the "death ray"
https://twitter.com/#!/mollstam/status/102062981495521280

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

flatluigi posted:

It's probably something to do with that minecraft convention.

Apparently not. Buy one get one on Minecraft this weekend. May want to drop this in the title/op.
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/8829997577/wedding-weekend

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Jesto posted:

1. Can you still not hold a torch and have a light source follow you around? If not, has Notch said why?

For a while, Notch said it was impossible, but then he rebuild the lighting engine. Supposedly he was going to make lanterns carryable, but lanterns have been stuck in development hell for going on a year now, with no real indication that they are coming.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I cannot wait for 1.8, it's going to completely revitalize my interest in this game. The biome changes alone do so much for me.

I actually like the eating system, exploration of the lands will now require more planning and care (gotta take enough food) and starting a new base will include bringing materials to start a farm. Multiplayer could get more interesting now with mods; someone could make a mod that makes food growing take longer, so that farming/trading food becomes profitable.

The silverfish thing seems kinda dumb, I think it would be neat if they only occurred in smooth stone but won't pop out when you're remodeling your house. I guess we'll see how it goes though.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Senator Woofington posted:

Wasn't the first part of 1.8 supposed to come out today.

No. He said we might see 1.8 "the week after PAX", however earlier in the week he said they need more time tuning from the PAX suggestions and didn't have a date for us.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

kas posted:

As is my understanding, right now, hunger bar empties about 6/10 of the entire bar each game day, food restores about the same amount of hunger bar that it used to heal, when your hunger bar is full, you regenerate about half a heart every 4 seconds or so, eating requires you to sit there unable to move or do anything else for about 3-4 seconds each food item, and food sources all basically require farming, or run away from you now when you try and attack them.

In practice, it appears to be not very fun.

Farming food has always been pitifully easy in this game though. The hardest part is the initial investment of designing the farmland.

Also, the payoff of food per animal seems to have substantially increased -- in the trailer someone took out a cow, and it dropped something like three leather and three steaks.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I'll have to wait and see. People complained when Terraria nerfed healing a bit but I think it made the game more fun and crafting more productive in the long run.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

I just picked up Terraria again, and I'm really happy about the slow-regen thing. I always used to just wait till night and kill myself right outside of my home so that I could have full health before the nurse arrived.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 9, 2011

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

You're right. Cauldrons were very visually appealing, emphasized the experimental nature of potion-brewing that I liked, and could make for great decorations. But their basic interface was clunky.
I don't know exactly what the alternative is going to be, but until I see it I should reserve judgement instead of assuming it'll be worse.

All I hope is that it doesn't reduce brewing to crafting table recipes and keeps in the nature of randomization and experimentation. And of course, looking cool couldn't hurt.

That's a big thing. I like Terraria's system where you have multiple crafting tables for certain items. I think it makes it much more fun. I hope we see some other setups in minecraft to give a different "feel" for crafting other objects.

I kinda hope the cauldron can be kept for some use, though. It really is visually appealing and just having them around for visual effect would be nice.

Alternatively, it would be nice to move mushroom stews to cauldrons, as well as add meat stews.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

kas posted:

Yes, you're using the deadfly plugin to disable adfly links, and the plugin is coded like a piece of poo poo and thinks the painterly preview images are adfly ads and reloads your page.

Have you let the guy know? He'd probably fix it for the default release.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Well their planned approach to modding support is open-sourcing it. (though we haven't heard about that for a while)

I wish they'd write an actual API or adopt ModLoader, but what'cha gonna do.

They should give the Bukkit folks control over that; let them write the SSP/SMP APIs. Then we'd have a unified architecture for mods.

They would also cut this Adfly poo poo down too.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Hypnolobster posted:

What's the drama with this guy? I haven't heard of him before.

When the Yogsbox was being put together, he lost his poo poo about ~his rights~ and all sorts of stuff, down to sending thinly veiled and poorly written legal threats to forming a chat room full of toadies to play counterpoint to the Yogsbox.

I think he then calmed down a fair bit and has been playing nice with the Yogsbox, though.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Vertigus posted:

Hint: This hasn't changed. Minecraft is not in danger of losing its loving customer base over a swear.

The problem is that Notch aired this out on loving Twitter instead of shutting up about it and maybe sending the Yogs guys an email saying "Hey, the swears weren't really appropriate for the setting" and waiting for them to respond saying "Ok, sorry about that, it won't happen again" so all this could've been handled in private like adults would.

Have you ever witnessed someone say "gently caress" or "poo poo" in a professional setting? It's usually pretty hilarious and often because they're nervous, and what usually happens is that their boss takes them aside and goes "don't do that again".

He took the "throw them under the bus and see I'm a good guy?" strategy, which is kinda dumb but seems altogether too common lately.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Notch posted:

Everyone else in the Minecraft community is all about respecting and caring. They're not. They're an isolated island of egos.

I wonder where the Egos of the modders live. Maybe a different island? :iiam:

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

This is seriously the best goddamned news all day, and I think a good move following the most recent Notch-drama.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Can we start a goon-made C# project "Better than MCEdit"?

It has all the requirements of a Minecraft project in the title.

I don't actually know how to do 3D stuff in C#/XNA, but I'd like to learn, so if someone here has the skills, I can help with backend stuff and learn about 3D graphics.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Umbra Dubium posted:

Why is renaming items with the anvil so expensive?

The anvil is expensive and doing anything with an anvil is expensive.

It's probably because the 12 year olds would complain about how it isn't realistic/is too easy/gives away benefits when really it just sucks the fun out of the thing.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I'd appreciate some advice from anyone that has experience hosting servers. I'm currently running 1.4.6 with the same bukkit version

I run a group server for my friends. It uses a couple serverside Bukkit mods (Dynmap and treecapitator). It has been running fairly well, but occasionally, these corrupted areas appear. They will revert all work done in them, and have strange crap going on (weird terrain shifts, etc). Any suggestions on what is up with these areas and what can be done to fix ones that are damaged? I'd like to avoid these issues in the future. I have some older map saves that I can recover to fix things, or maybe to stitch together and get things playing nicely again.

You can take a look at the DynMap to see what the corruption looks like; it's the black, empty chunks and the ones adjacent to those. It's becoming quite a bother because people are afraid to build things. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Gorfob posted:

Perhaps try downloading the map and opening it in MCEdit and deleting and regenerating the corrupted areas. I believe it also has a repair function.

Boat posted:

I'd suggest using MCEdit to re-gen those chunks, and if you don't already have it, the WorldEdit plugin for Bukkit so you can selectively roll back and/or restore areas of the map in-game.

Thanks for these, I'll give MCEdit a try.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Fortis posted:

Microsoft Corp. is in serious discussions to buy Mojang AB, the Swedish company behind the popular "Minecraft" videogame, according to my uncle who works at Nintendo.

e: Also MS is pretty dumb but I'm not sure they're dumb enough to alienate so much of Minecraft's player base by gutting the modding community. I could have seen that happening under Ballmer, though, to be fair.

MS is alsmost certainly going to handle everything about the game better than Mojang. We mighty actually get an API and some interesting updates.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

xzzy posted:

Bungie did pretty when they were owned by Microsoft. Granted you had to really like consoles if you wanted Bungie games, but the company was able to keep its identity and even managed to break free once they finished their Halo related obligations.

Basically Mojang will do just drat fine.

The only issue of concern is how Microsoft expects to get a return on a $2B investment. I don't think merchandising is gonna cut it.. there will be sequels down the road, guaranteed.

As for Minecraft clones, they'll be fine. It was settled a long time ago that you can't copyright game mechanics.

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl108.html

I think the deal is going to provide Mojang with some much-needed guidance and direction. The API has been vaporware since 2010, updates have few features and are slow to appear. I think a steady hand to keep things on track will go a long way for Mojang and Minecraft.

Also, Scrolls might be a good thing for MS to throw on WP and WinTablet as a competitor to Hearthstone.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I can't wait until Microsoft makes the Mojang devs do some actual loving work on the game for once. It'll be quite the wakeup call.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of Thaumcraft (as in, what it is and what I should expect?).

I liked Tekkit and am thinking of a move to FTB Infinity since some of my friends like the magical poo poo. Is my whole world going to be overcome with purple tendrils or is that only a threat if someone tries to make the world be covered in purple tendrils?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Is there a way to tweak large biomes worldgen? I like the idea of large biomes, but I actually think they might be a little too large. There's no way to quickly travel ocean (boats just aren't that fast) and they become massive.

The wiki says Large biomes are 16x bigger, but I'd sorta like to see what 4x and 8x look like.

Edit: I had thought this existed, and was right, but only in version 1.8 and up. Tekkit, why won't you updaaaate :argh:

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 4, 2015

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Oh, good idea! I just tried a large biomes seed (wanted horses to be useful, instead of "whoops, there's a forest/mountain biome" after 1-2 minutes in any direction) and they're just too big.

Well if you're using 1.8, these commands might get you something pretty cool: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Customized

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Enzer posted:

This should either be in this weeks snapshot (tomorrow) or next week, the wording was a bit vague but should be "next snapshot".

I like that it isn't straight up creative mode flight, but is instead a decently powerful (you descend pretty slowly as opposed to dropping like a rock) glider.

Also the wings fold up into a cap when you land which is cool.

Dinnerbone has also redone how Minecraft dictates an entity riding another entity (before it was something like entity A is riding entity B, now it is entity B is being ridden by entity A which means that they can more easily dictate that entity B is also being ridden by C, D and E, if that makes any sense). This has led to mobs riding other mobs now having proper control (see the new skeleton dudes that spawn on skeletal horses rarely when it rains or improved spider jockeys/baby zombie chicken riders) and also means that Dinnerbone has the new and improved boats finished (multiple passengers). He just has to work on fixing boat's horrible position desync issue.

To this end Dinnerbone is working on how player movement is sent and processed by the server, which has the added benefit (if it doesn't break everything) of improving cheat detection.

I really, sincerely hope that this means we will see player-built boats and airships. I've wanted to see that in this game more than anything.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Cicadas! posted:

At this point I'm pretty sure the only thing that's kept them tied to Java is the fact that there are a fuckton of mods that people have made, like a stupidly, uncountably huge number, for this version of the game. These people, misguided or not, have sunk ridiculous amounts of time and effort into these things they've made, and I'm pretty sure that someone insane would come for the dev team's heads if they were to abandon it for something stupid like programming an actual, functional game that would probably be even more mod-friendly. That besides, the dev team themselves seem to be in this stupid endeavor for the long run. "We're halfway there, why stop now?" :downs:

It's a sunk-cost fallacy thing.

Yeah, but the mods are spread across a swath of versions with weird half support and compatability editions out the wazoo. Modders in general have spoken about how difficult it is to mod given the state of the game, and I think a majority of the bigger modders would breathe a sigh of relief to have a consistent API so that they don't need to recode everything every six months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Is there a point to the Grinder? It seems like it doesn't really do anything that the inventory crafting grid already does.

I feel like there's a bunch of interesting looking new blocks that don't really do anything.