Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've finally gotten back into MC because of 1.8 coming soon. I've only read the last 4-5 pages of this thread, so forgive me if this has been beaten to death, but will I have to regen a new world once it hits? I know that, normally, you have to explore new chunks in order to have new stuff appear, but will this be any worse than that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

PalmTreeFun posted:

I really hope someone mods out hunger once 1.8 comes out, because if there's anything I hate it's wandering around on the surface grinding wool/leather/pork/feathers/wood for ages. Also having to come up to the surface for more wood already sucks. I like how peaceful is going to be the only difficulty that doesn't hurt you for not eating.

Is there a reason you don't have an underground tree farm?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

PalmTreeFun posted:

I wander around underground a lot and get lost easily, even with double torches marking the way back. v:shobon:v

If I made it I'd never find it again.

Ah, ok. A proper miner/mincrafter then. Good on you! I actually play the same way.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Can the enderman see you through glass? Or even through tiles fences (that make a grid-thing as a wall)?

:ohdear:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lavender Philtrum posted:

... similar to games like Stranded 2.

This is actually the exact game I was planning to make (in Unity) up until this moment. :smith:

I think I was even tossing around that name, too.

EDIT: Well, the version in my head looks a LOT nicer than this.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 8, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Funny you should say that when Minecraft itself is everything Stranded is made better, with the arguable exception of campaign mode which is still kind of covered by adventure maps.

Well, my version of this whole idea involves it being hard as balls, and being as realistic as possible. It's WAY too huge of a design for me to get it done any time soon, but there would be none of the ridiculousness of Minecraft (that I love, but I love within MC itself).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, I don't think this was answered when I asked it before (if so, sorry), but does anyone know if ender... uhh.. men (?) can see you through glass?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

FidgetyRat posted:

Good question. Other critters seem to, so I would assume Enders would as well.

I'd be interested in finding out how much damage enders will do to creations. Spawning structures and building poo poo all over my creations. Wonder if it will be almost a chore "cleaning up" ender nerd poles.

Maybe they'll only move 'organic' blocks, or just ones made of minerals.. who knows? I'm looking forward to doing an almost Attenborough-esque study on them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Beige posted:

I'd love to see a video of a player's first genuine tracking down and encountering an enderman with a real goal of learning its behaviour and abilities, having not read up on them before.

I think you should do this for us.

I... I just might...

EDIT: A friend of mine is getting a PVR exclusively for recording game footage, though I don't know when he'll be getting it. I could use some other form of recording. Any free ones worth a drat for mac?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 8, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, will seeds like gargamel and chozo generate the same starting area?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fishylungs posted:

The first time I saw one I was in awe.

About the tenth I wanted them to gently caress off and die, I was trying to make my way in the nether.

Makin' your way in the nether today
Sure can take a lot
Dealing with all those loving ghasts
Takes everything you've got
Wouldn't ya like to get away?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sir Prancelot posted:

I feel like some sort of twelve-toed freak for being unwaveringly excited about every change coming in 1.8. :(

Me too! I can't help but think 'it's all good, man' whenever I hear about what's coming down the pipes.

I mean jesus, it's just a game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

UnCO3 posted:

Does anyone have seeds that spawn on (or relatively close to) moderately-sized islands? Currently I've got -8392941136686656334 (at x=-620, z=0), which gives me this:

It's covered with pine forest (so it'll probably be snowy in the full update) and has both hilly and flat land, and the only visible land is the northern desert which is just visible on Far, standing at the closest point of the island. I'm looking for mountainous/cliffy islands as well, or ones with a mix of forest and open land.

I totally want to spawn this once the official patch comes out (if the seed still works). Definitely want a water-world.

That, or sheer desert.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tombot posted:

I made a suggestion earlier, but nobody took the bait so I made one myself.

Its a house made out of a hollowed out red mushroom.

I am now living like a smurf. Best of all: its just the right size inside to fit everything inside without destroying much of it.

Ok, so, what's the deal with these huge mushrooms? I haven't played the leak, not going to until the official 1.8 comes out, but as I understand, these randomly spawn places, you can't collect any of it, you can only deal with what's there. Correct?

Does using bonemeal make them?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

After watching that latest Yogs video, holy gently caress 1.8 (and eventually 1.9)

:toot:

I hope we end up with something like that ogre that constantly charges you and destroys blocks (from Mo' Creatures, I believe). Also, more than one stronghold per world. I don't care if there's a flag in there that tells the code not to generate another stronghold for 200 chunks, it'd still be awesome.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, it's prevalent just underwater in swamps and lakes and oceans, fairly plentiful but not as easy to spot right away.

That actually makes sense, really.

EDIT: I think the only thing that's currently on my 'Minecraft wish list' would be for rain to have a consequence, like you getting sick if you spend too much time out there, or certain blocks getting soggy or useless if left out. Is there a mod that does this?

Also, it'd be nice if snow moved to different regions.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 11, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Beige posted:

Jeb just posted the updated pre-release. No 1.8 today then.

If he's fixed a lot of the bugs in the pre-release, and people were already having a blast with that anyway, I'm actually REALLY ok with the official 1.8 taking longer. Very glad for this pre-release leak stuff. I said I wasn't going to play it, but that was really because of all the stuff I was hearing about the furnace crashes and the xp orb drops. Since those are fixed, I'm definitely diving in now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So... I was tired of hearing the Enderman as zombies, so I made a thing. Let me know if these are worth a drat. I'm not even 100% sure of the proper application for them, but I have two one-hit sounds, like the zombies moan, and two loopable sounds (though when I converted them to MP3, there was a bit of a cut at the beginning and end).

Listen, let me know what you think.

The one-offs:

The loops:

The first two sounds are made from baby laughter. :haw:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

These are awesome and creepy, and I love the combination of eerie chirruping and almost mournful groaning that sounds almost like whalesong.
That said I think they already have official sounds that just haven't been released yet, but if there were an audiomod release before then, these would make good in the meantime.

I wish it were a little more... continental.
That big shape in the middle should be partitioned off into a number of large islands, maybe even just three, but the one problem I've always had with Infdev on is that sometimes the entire world is like one contiguous, shapeless landmass.

Yeah, I figure there's absolutely zero chance for my sounds to make them in or anything, I just thought I'd mess around, make some things, in the off-chance that Notch or Jeb already doesn't have anything and they're looking. I'd tweet them to them both, but alas, I'm at work without twitter.

Would that seem pompous? I'd be super happy even if they just listened to them, that'd be enough for me.

EDIT: vvv Ok, cool. Anyone mind sending them a tweet or something?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 13, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MikeJF posted:

He's confirmed he has on twitter.

Aw dammit. Well, whenever there's a really good audio mod released (is there one that allows for ambient sounds?) then I'll make an entire soundpack.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Is there a downside to chowing down on the rotten flesh, or is that a 1.9 dealie?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, so I don't know what the gently caress is going on... I used both the link that was posted earlier (that forwarded on to another link) and the one posted on Jeb's twitter, but whichever browser (on my mac) that I use, it won't actually DOWNLOAD the file.... Safari/Chrome/Firefox... none of them will do it.

Can anyone email me the jar file? I don't need the server one, just the regular pre-release 2 file.

My gmail address is slaptheolsentwins.

EDIT: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_8-pre2/minecraft.jar

Ok, so THAT worked. Just right-clicked and downloaded. Didn't happen with the other URL, or even from this url posted from twitter... weird.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 13, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Noticed a 'bug'... :smug:

It says "Minecraft Beta 1.8" during the actual game, rather than just in the menus, as they had previously decided they were doing. Of course, I'm being a poo poo, and I don't care either way, but still...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

melaTONE posted:

I miss being able to toggle my fog :(

F3 + F, or am I missing something?

EDIT: f;basdlhasdljha!! ^^

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fren posted:

So do the villages actually have people in them or are they just ghost towns?

Every page. Every goddamned page. I'm not necessarily blaming the posters, but holy poo poo, is this in the OP yet?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Guys, don't try and shift-click an item from your inventory to a full chest. :ohdear: I don't know if it was reported before, but I just crashed. 1.8 official.

EDIT: Shift-clicking to add anything to ANY full container (yourself or chests) is a crash.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 14, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

fondue posted:

Did you crash the server or just your client?

Client only. Haven't played 1.8 online yet.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

The actions you take determine how fast you eat through hunger. Basic mining/digging isn't so bad, long treks can be tiring, swimming seems to take it out of you and as people said sprinting eats it like nobody's business.
That said, it also seems that the hunger bar treats 10 bars differently than 9.5 bars. That is, once you go down to 9.5, you go down to 9, then 8.5, then 8, etc. fairly quickly. But from 10 to 9.5 seems to take a disproportionately large amount of activity, so I have the suspicion that it can actually go higher than 100%, but will only ever display as 10/10 on the bar. It really seems that if you're at 9 out of 10 'drumsticks' (or whatever) on the hunger bar, eating a cooked steak will keep it at 10 longer than eating an apple will.
It may just be my imagination or some confirmation bias, but that's my strong suspicion.

I thought I read somewhere where Notch addressed this (maybe it was in the Kotaku video from PAX or wherever) but he did mention that when you're full, it lasts the longest. The 'normal decay rate' for the hunger bar occurs after that.

EDIT:

MikeJF posted:

The lighting engine's still pretty hosed up in the release. All the paintings and chests in my headquarters are pitch black, and light doesn't seem to penetrate glass to light up blocks directly behind it.

I had this happen, too. It seems as if it only sometimes lights my paintings, if the light level is max or something. I don't know.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 15, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Obese FYAD Reject posted:

I'm really enjoying 1.8, but I'm a little curious if anyone knows:

Now that shift+click on an item in a crafting window puts as many craftables in your inventory as possible (which is awesome), is there any new key combination for just quickly getting ONE/a couple of the set of the craftable items into your inv?

I've gotten lazy and used to just plopping a stack of coal and a stack of sticks to make torches and just clicking til I have what I want. I tried ctrl+shift+click, but it does the same as shift+click.

I'm sure I'll adapt, at some point, to just putting the right amount of materials in the window that I want to be used, but drat the old functionality was convenient for just guesstimating.

Well, the quickest way for this is to dump whatever stacks of whatever in the crafting window, but on ONE square, only have a limited amount of blocks. Like, for stairs, do this...

CB 64| X | X
-----|-----|-----
CB 64|CB 64| x
-----|-----|-----
CB 64|CB 64| CB 10

Shift-crafting this would only make 10. Works great for me, because I had the same thoughts as you.

EDIT: I should clarify, this is different than taking the time to put a specific number in the crafting window because you're only really concerning yourself with limiting one square, rather than all of them. Handy when you're building something that fills the crafting window, like rail or TNT. All the sand and gunpowder in the world won't matter if you've got one square of, say, 3 items.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 15, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Balon posted:

I also ran in to some weird areas where I couldn't destroy anything - just an entire corridor that refused to die.

Is it possible that this was in the same chunk or area as the spawn (only obviously much lower)? Usually, spawn areas are protected so that only the OP/Admins can make any changes such as destroying or setting blocks down.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I had a dream last night that 1.9 was released and everyone was wondering how this game would add to everything it's already got. When asked about what's set for retail, Notch simply tweeted, "We're going to the moon."

:allears: That would be absolutely awesome.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

FronzelNeekburm posted:

After a little poking around, it turns out that it DOES keep the Nether inside the main world folder now, sooooo.... anyone have any tips on gluing a nether map and a regular world map together?

I don't, but I think it would be awesome if the Nether was actually what was below bedrock. Even keep the hellsounds too!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone have a screenshot as to what Stronghold entrances look like? Are they usually in huge mountains?

The level I'm in, I used the seed Prerelease 1.8.2 and I'm going all over the place looking for one. I know I may not find one, but right now, I don't even really know what I'm looking for.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Estel posted:

Today i found the world a couple of friends and me played long ago on our server. It's a world pre 1.3 with the old world generation and saves and wanted to see what we built because i could only remember an airport and a big temple i built with a creeper statue.

I found a conversor so i could change the world format from the old one with thousands of files to the new one. After the conversion i still couldn't access the world and i found an old version of cartograph and... yeah, there is something wrong with this world:

I will try opening the world with mcedit to see what is all that mess near the temple and at least try to recover the temple as a schematic.

I want to see a youtube video of this mess being explored.

It's a glitch in the system! :black101:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

Cool, Notch. Now can you please make it so that when somebody dies in SMP, they don't drop a billion XP orbs that completely kill anyone's ability to do anything forever? Thanks.

Is this still a thing? I thought that the official 1.8 fixed this.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Man, I would absolutely love/kill to be in charge of sound design for this game. You'd be getting all of the ambient noises you could handle. That said, I can't wait to hear the new stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone have an official, or unofficial list of the changes? I'd like to know, specifically, what I'm looking for while I do my pre-serious crazy run throughout my newly generated world.

Other people do that, right? You just... run all over the place?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Edit: ^^ :argh:

The Snark posted:

Bloody hell, any idea why I can't seem to get this 1.9 update? I've attempted forced updates, it remains at 1.8.

Page 107 or 108, someone posted it, it's a prerelease 'leak' and therefore not gotten through the update feature.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a total lack of wolves? I can't find them anywhere. Am I missing some way to find them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

He wants a negative reaction. Just send a message back saying

"Cool, what engine will you develop this on? Who is your publisher and how big is your team? I don't really want my idea to be poorly represented so if you fail to deliver a decent product I will sue for intellectual property infringement.

Good luck and write back soon!"

Please do this and post his response :allears: