Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Rack posted:

Yeah, I have my 2x2 source close by to refill, but it's a natural largish hole. Most of it has been fine but it keeps getting weird current patterns in it, even when it IS a source block surrounded by other source blocks.
Yeah, that's your problem. Make it so your pond is only one block deep (put a layer of dirt in it or something), then the surface will be perfectly even, without any random currents. You can dig out the dirt at that point and you'll have an even, deep pond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

After watching a recording of the live stream... gently caress me if I'm not actually excited for the hunger meter.

I like stuff like that in New Vegas and a more serious role playing experience... but Minecraft I though was too much of a game for it to work. But its game play effects actually sound pretty neat!

I don't know if we knew this before, but apparently if your hunger meter is full-ish, you'll regenerate health. In other words you still heal with food, but in a much different and more fun way that sounds pretty neat to me.

There's also the fact that it's the limiting factor on your sprinting- when sprinting the hunger meter goes down faster, which seems like a good way of balancing sprinting and making the food meter more interesting.

Besides that, the new terrain is incredible. I love that it's not just a mishmash of stuff anymore, but seriously different biomes. Imagine how different it would be to play in one of those vast oceans, building up a network of tiny islands. And honestly mountains are a lot more impressive when there's more contrast between them and the surrounding area- so huge mountain biomes jutting up out of a truly vast plain or desert are really cool.

With regards to NPC villages- it's interesting that Notch thinks you shouldn't be able to speak to the inhabitants and Jeb thinks you should.. because Jeb is almost always right it seems, but not this time. I like villages, but I also love the lonely atmosphere of Minecraft. Incomprehensible villagers, going about their social lives in a way you can't really join, are a great concept for Minecraft.

And once the game gets weak as a game again, Creative mode looks like exactly how I want to play once I'm sick of gathering resources. It's basically an integrated toomanyitems with the ability to fly and instantly destroy any blocks. Building beautiful towns will now basically only be as much effort as it takes to imagine them, which is awesome.

Super excited for 1.8 now.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 27, 2011

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Hadlock posted:

NPC Villages - yes, pre-generated villages, but strange ghost towns seem worthless without NPCs to populate them. I guess that they're a core part of the new terrain generation, but this still seems incredibly unpolished.
Umm... you realize we just saw a stream of what was done of 1.8 so far. Like, that's not the update.

1.8 will have NPCs in the villages.

quote:

I'm not sure if Mojang has much interest in developing more features in Minecraft at this point. From the total lack of new features, it seems that Notch is spending more time and interest in meetings and developing the company than finishing Minecraft as a complete product that most people thought they were buying in to when they purchased the game.
... Really?

You know what, never mind. It's not worth it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Please! Elaborate :) I've heard (and read) both sides of the "you're playing the pre-release version" and "Mojang adds plenty of features each point update" arguments, but at this point it's beginning to sound a bit hollow with 80 days until release. If Notch is trying to sell us on the Adventure mode (as opposed to the adventure update), he hasn't done a very good job of convincing me thus far that significant improvements will be made post-November.
This is going to be the most content rich update since Halloween. It's new features will probably change the game more than any other single update has.

And now you feel that 'Notch doesn't care any more'?

The word "entitled" is thrown around a lot in these kinds of conversations, but I really think it would be worthwhile to examine how justified your expectations are. I mean looking at your complaints... you were expecting new/customizable weapons? That might be a nice feature, but it's just some obscure thing that you specifically want. To be upset or disappointed that Notch hasn't added it is basically exactly what people mean when they say "entitled".

It sounds like your disappointment isn't really with what's going on, but rather it's entirely derived from the fact that what's going on is different than what you expect to be going on for a "nearly finished product." You've got expectations that don't mesh with reality. Honestly, you are the source of your own dissatisfaction.

Notch has his issues. He's made a lot of silly decisions, and the game has been developed inconsistently over time. But honestly, now, with 1.8, when he's pretty much doing everything right, now you chose to start complaining?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

crossektion posted:

And the people saying "the game was done a long time ago, be happy you get all this stuff", piss off. Notch had a list of poo poo he wanted to put in the game, and he labelled the current state of it "beta" for a reason. Stop kissing rear end.
That's, really needlessly hostile. I don't know if you will, but it might help to try and think about why you're so mad. I mean, I get that you're mad at Notch for cheating you or whatever, but why are you so mad at people who aren't mad?

Personally I felt like Minecraft was more than worth the money I paid when I bought it a year ago- in the state it was in then. I can respect that, if you didn't like it and only bought it for what it would be- that you'd feel cheated... but did anyone actually do that?

I mean, there's more to add, but is Minecraft really "incomplete"? Like, objectionably so? It's a really fun lego game with some adventure elements to add a bit of challenge and satisfaction. And every update it's slowly getting better.

Is any of that wrong? You obviously enjoyed it to some extent. If you hated it, you'd probably just write it off as a waste of money and not hang around this thread. So assuming you enjoyed it, and assuming you don't think the updates are actively making the game worse... what's the big deal? You got something nice that's getting better. Why would you go off in a frothing rage about that?

Cygni posted:

Why are people posting huge rear end posts about a patch to a cheap little game about cake blocks and jumping skeletons. The gently caress is wrong with ya'll.
Why did you make a dinky little post that was basically, "Look at me, I'm so cool and don't care! :smug:"?

Some people do care. That's okay. Nothing wrong with that. It's a Minecraft discussion thread. If people discussing Minecraft bother you... well, I'd at least revise my expectations when clicking on this thread if I were you.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'd imagine, considering how unpredictable/unavoidable they are, silverfish will be trivially easy enemies to actually fight... at least I hope they'd be. Just something to wake you up a bit if you're strip mining.

Honestly that does still sound pretty annoying, but it's not necessarily "Horrors! Peaceful forever for me!" levels of annoyance.

Jesto posted:

So maybe he wants food to be something that heals you gradually over time and potions to be instant-heals that work like food do now.
This sounds most likely to be the case. I'd be pretty happy if it was.

Using a stack of food to enable regenerating health sounds a lot more fun for the way I play than messing with unstackable porkchops in the middle of battle anyway. Heck, that's kind of why I bring stacks of wheat on caving expeditions anyway- to regenerate my health when I've got a bit of time to make the bread.

I mean, if you're in the middle of a single battle where you lose more than your maximum number of hearts (i.e. need to heal to win the encounter), you're kind of hosed anyway.

I guess it's nice that there is a way to panic-heal... but honestly, considering how awkward it is to fiddle with your inventory when you're in a panic, I've never been in a situation where a chunk of healing would be more useful than gradual regeneration. If I had to chose one or the other, I'd definitely chose regeneration.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

csidle posted:

Does anyone know of a video where he's shown an abandoned mineshaft? The only one I know of is the first video that came out of PAX that was livestreamed from a phone, which means that the quality was really really bad.
Has there been any video but the PAX livestream video for anything about 1.8? If there's been anything I'd like to see it.

The abandoned mineshaft was really cool in that video, incidentally, with broken bits of mine track and cobweb everywhere. Finding neat stuff like that in your underground explorations is going to be really fun.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yonic Symbolism posted:

They display schematics for machines with multiple layers with an animated loving gif in an invented notation - it's like reading a book by flashing it at you one word at a time in a language you only started learning. It doesn't help that I'm not entirely sure how the pieces make sense contextually.
Yeah, I could probably parse through the jargon eventually, but gently caress those god drat animated gifs long and hard.

Yeah, there's other resources available, but trying to work with those gifs pissed me off so much I've never learned any sort of really advanced redstone stuff.

Speaking of (slightly) advanced redstone, I had an idea for a secret passage using pistons and gravel, that would essentially be a vertical stack of four blocks- two pistons with two gravel on top. When activated, the pistons would extend and the gravel would be pushed up to hide the passage. When deactivated they'd retract and the gravel would fall.

The issue was that pistons couldn't push or pull extended pistons, so to push the gravel up, the bottom piston had to be activated, then the top one... but to be retracted the top one had to be withdrawn before the bottom one could pull it down.

Does anyone have any idea how the heck I'd go about doing that (or have any guides/videos that might address something like that)?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Amppelix posted:

I was thinking more of something like

That's a marsh. Or at least, I'm not totally sure on the difference, but I think the first picture is a swamp the second, a marsh.

I love the heck out of vines, and they're going to make a wonderful decorative addition to my buildings, but I'm not too impressed with the swamp... It'll probably look better with a low view distance (fog), though.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

I really wish there were a difficulty option that could toggle whether or not you drop items on death.

I know it's a balance issue and I understand the implications of difficulty and forethought but never once has dropping and losing my inventory been even remotely enjoyable or enriched my gameplay experience in Minecraft in any way. All losing my poo poo when I die does is make me frustrated and want to give up on the game for a while.
It should just be an option.
I totally 100% agree. The idea honestly hadn't even occurred to me until Terraria did it, but once I knew it was a possibility, it's always pissed me off that it's not the case.

I get that death should have consequences, and that stress does make the game more fun, but losing your stuff isn't the way to do it, especially not in a game about building stuff. I mean, you can't very well build up yourself if you're inevitably reduced to the naked state you first came into the world whenever you mess up.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ThndrShk2k posted:

If armor, weapons, and other utility items were more useful (and have way more durability) then i would agree with keeping poo poo. But high level armor is pointless anyway.
Yeah, that's another thing... degrading tools and armor that you can't repair is really lame too for the same reasons.

I get that Minecraft isn't trying to go full on RPG like Terraria, but I really quite like persistent character growth, and it'd be more satisfying if I could safely keep my progress with me, rather than having to stash it in a chest and being reduced to zero all the time.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zorak posted:

Degrading items is really the only thing that ads any sustained value to a lot of the resources. The huge flaw with Terraria's model is that the moment you "move up" a tier, most of the resources of the previous tier become entirely pointless/ useless to collect.
Except you kind of have the opposite problem in Minecraft. True, I still have a use for stone pickaxes, because it's really not worth it to waste an iron or diamond one gathering cobble... but at the same time that means I never use an iron or diamond pickaxe except on rare ore a stone one can't break.

And anyway, even a system where items degraded but you could repair them, even if it costs the same amount of resources- like throwing a diamond into your diamond pickaxe to restore a third of its HP- would totally change the psychology of the system, and would be a lot more satisfying.

Zorak posted:

You want good stuff, and you have to risk bad stuff to get good stuff. This is how "adventures" work.
I get that, and totally agree. I just don't think the risk has to be what it currently is.

Time is really the ultimate resource- you can use it to get anything in the game- and being sent back to spawn does cost you time. A lot less time than however long it took you to find those two diamonds in your sword, but some time in any case. So even if there were no additional penalty, being sent back to your spawn is in fact a real risk.

In fact, it's the normal risk. Almost every time I die I know more or less where I was. It's just the time it takes to find my stuff and rearrange my inventory that I suffer... and I still really don't want to die and feel bad when I do. The game is not rendered shallow and meaningless.

But the real point here isn't that things should be easier- if there were a similarly devastating penalty for death that somehow let you keep your stuff, that'd be okay with me. My issue is that it prevents the compelling gameplay feature of keeping and growing attached to your stuff.

If an item gets sentimental value in Minecraft currently, you're going to want to put it in a chest for safe keeping... and then you might as well not have it.

Minecraft is all about letting you make your own world, but it actively discourages you from making your own character through it's death mechanics.

I've fallen in lava carying a stack of diamonds before, with my diamond sword and pick. I know that grief. I like that I felt that grief, because it was a really strong experience in the safe confines of a video game.

But I've also felt the stress of choosing which items to risk on my next caving expedition... and time and again concluded I shouldn't bother bringing anything remotely valuable. Neither that stress nor the poorly (but smartly) equipped expedition add anything to the game.

If I could just... not worry about my items and use what I wanted to use, I'd be a lot happier. I'd still like the thrill of combat in dark scary caves, just without all the bother with items.

And full disclosure- I'll probably never play survival single player once 1.8 comes out. It'll be all creative mode for me when playing by myself. I've started playing online with friends recently and that's the only time any adventuring or grinding in Minecraft is fun for me anymore. So considering I kind of burnt out on adventuring the better part of a year ago, I may not have the best perspective on this issue.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Well, at least for the way I play, the food changes are probably going to make things on the balance more convenient.

Quite often I take a little bit of damage when I fall off of something when building, or get hit once or twice by a rogue spider that made it into my town. Currently it's a huge bother to deal with, as you can't really keep food with you to heal up, as it'd take up all your inventory. And even if you do have a spare pork chop, you generally aren't going to use it to heal half a heart, or if you're near your spawn you won't want to waste it at all, and rather kill yourself to get your health back.

Well, once you've got stacking food there's no reason not to to carry around a stack of one kind or another. And since it results in regeneration and not a certain number of hearts, you'll have no reason not to eat up (if you're not full already) for little wounds. And since the process of healing won't be a gigantic pain in the rear end inventory nightmare, I might actually stop committing suicide all the time to get my health back.

I'd probably be happier if ignoring it was easier... like if the penalty was increased damage taken or something you could usually just ignore, but to me right now it looks like the convenience will outweigh the irritation. I mean, the bonus sounded good enough that I'd be carrying food all the time in any case so I don't really care about the penalty.

And who knows how long it'll take for the meter to empty. If it's like a whole Minecraft day, it's not much of an issue at all.

Relaxodon posted:

Changing the difficulty to easy is currently no option to fix that as it also disables monsters which are an important part of the game.
You still get monsters with Easy, they just do less damage. Only Peaceful disables monsters.

Honestly, I've never had a reason to not play on Easy. Monsters killing me more quickly does not make the game more fun in any way.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

kas posted:

It doesn't make or break the game, but it really does hurt the flow. Before, it was a matter of 'get in tussle, lose some life, eat stuff, continue on'. Now, it's more like 'get in tussle, lose some life, eat stuff, wait for life to slowly fill up, continue on'. Sure it's more 'realistic' but it really feels like it just adds random downtime for no reason, more than actually improving gameplay. Things aren't any harder, you're just now babysitting two bars instead of one, and having to take big breaks between doing stuff each time you end up taking damage instead of just healing up and getting on with it.
Well to be fair, before it was "get in a tussle, plonk down a crafting table, wrestle with your inventory to make a bunch of bread, unless you were silly and had a bunch of pork chops filling your inventory, and now you're out of pork chops already, or else you've been unable to gather loot for ages.... and continue on."

Stackable food will bring a lot more convenience than regenerating food will take away. I mean, encounters are rare enough that I'd probably not bother to rest before moving on, just assuming I wouldn't encounter anything before I'm full up again. Or else I'd do a bit of safe exploratory mining while I wait or something.

The only clear advantage this takes away is the silliness of eating a pork chop while in the middle of combat which I was never able to do anyway so I personally won't miss it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

It almost feels like there's no need to trade for spectacular seeds when almost any given mountain range is basically gargamel now.

I am loving the ocean survival maps though. Oceans in general are fantastic. Maybe not being in the middle of one, but building something on an ocean shore, with the knowledge that you're on the border of something truly vast is pretty awesome.

One strange thing I noticed... I haven't seen any snow. I've seen boreal forests that look pretty cold... but no snow on them yet. I imagine it'll fall eventually, but it's odd that it's not there to begin with.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So I was wrong when I guessed it would eventually snow in a boreal forest. It's been raining for a while now.

I guess there's no snow in the game anymore. Has anyone seen anywhere with ice or snow?

Joda posted:

While the point of the sliver fish is obvious, has it actually been implemented yet? Has anyone been strip mining and gotten pissed off by these little fuckers popping out of random stone blocks?
Apparently they're only in stronghold blocks. Maybe. Never seen a stronghold myself, nor a silverfish.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So, after saying there's no need to share seeds way back, because they're all fantastic... well, I found a need to share a seed.

Seed 3 (just 3) has a fairly nice starting point. You start on the edge of a mountain, overlooking a vast pine forest on one side, and a cove on the other.

The mountain range is interesting as it forms a kind of natural wall around a quaint little valley with a nice rocky outcropping I began to build my base in.

But that's not really anything special. It's a nice starting area, but unexceptional.

What's exceptional is this fucker.

You'll find it if you head for coordinates x 40; z 300. Quite close to the spawn.

It's loving nuts.

It's pretty fun to figure out how to climb it- and you can without placing or destroying any blocks if you do it right.

And a couple shots of it from the desert on the far side.

And in case you thought it wasn't dramatic enough... it's got a ravine going under one side of it.

Seed 3.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Is anyone else not able to change their skin? I try to upload a new one to the site, but it just gives an error that says, "The file public/profile/skin does not exist."

Is there some trick to it or is it just broken after they updated their site, like the old launcher?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

EightBit posted:

I think that cattle spawn on plains biomes (which makes sense) and pigs and chickens are more common in swamps/forests.
I've only ever seen cows in woods, actually.

In the world I've been playing on I've got a mountain overrun with pigs, a dense forest that a cow occasionally peeks out of, and I haven't seen more than two sheep or chickens in all my extensive travels.

... So something's up with passive mob spawns. Don't know exactly what it is though.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fog at bedrock may gently caress with constructions, but it definitely makes caves down there much more fun and scary to explore. As someone who's not built down there, it's nothing but a positive, atmospheric change.

blackflare posted:

Really? I feel like the foodbar makes the game a lot more enjoyable. Food stacks now so I can actually make it and use it, and you don't need to eat during combat so I don't need to go crazy with it. I've yet to even die, and I've been in some crazy situations already.
Yeah, I love the regeneration in practice as much as I though I would.

It's so... relaxing, to fall off the roof of your house as you're building and go, "Oh well no big deal" rather than knowing you have exactly five more falls before you die. And being ambushed by a spider or something that you quickly dispatch without permanent consequences is a lot less tedious than the old way where accumulated paper cuts would eventually kill you if you didn't muck about with food.

Filling up your inventory with pork or having to craft bread or whatever was way more annoying than the hunger meter will ever be.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

And as someone who does build down there it is really, really bad. It doesn't make sense that the light from torches magically stops working just becuase you moved down to bedrock. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to this if there was a way of getting rid of the fog but there isn't. You could have a room made out of nothing but glowstone and it would still be pitch black.

Also while it may be good for exploring a dark corridor it ruins the cool factor of the massive magma lakes that can be found at bedrock. I just don't get why light can't pierce the fog.
Have you seen the particle effects from bedrock now? And what's below it? Things get freaky when you go really far down, and I quite like it. It makes the deep deep caves feel really otherworldly, like you're treading close to the edge of something.

If you want to build underground without that fog, you can build closer to the surface if you really want. Carving out solid rock is carving out solid rock no matter where you do it, right?

Admittedly I have a lot less invested in the whole issue, so I can't say you don't have a point... but that how I feel.

FirePhoenix posted:

Anyways, i just learned that apparently Ender Pearls allow you to attack mobs from any distance as long as you hold them? I'll have to try that.
Nope.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Vanadium posted:

Am I missing something or do you mean this?

Wow, I actually did not know you could do that. Nice.

Probably just as well the server I was playing on got wiped. All my walls and stuff were made out of cobble with a stone brick texture. It would have bugged the heck out of me once there was a real stone brick texture and I turned cobble back into something cobble-ish.

Now I get to make whole new structures and spend a lot of coal making smooth stone!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Finite animals wouldn't be an issue for me if zombies still dropped feathers or there was a way to get a lot more wool. I mean, it's great we have webs, but I like building with a lot of wool, and finite sheep are really bumming me out.

And arrows? I guess the only source of them longterm will be skeletons themselves, making archery really pretty unsustainable.

Food's no issue though- bread is a lot easier to gather in the long run anyway.

I hope they patch it so animal spawns go back to the way they were. Husbandry will be awesome, but it's just so stupid to limit animals before we have a way of working with them.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So it occurred to me that, since chickens can lay multiple eggs over the course of their life now... and since you can use eggs to get more chickens... and since friendly mobs no longer despawn ever... you can get a real chicken ranch going already. Kill excess chickens whenever you need for effectively infinite feathers and food.

The only issue is, after wrangling three chickens into a good sized pit... two of them spontaneously died.

So chickens must have some sort of space requirement or something. It looks like there are some features of the animal husbandry update already in the game that they just failed to actually tell us about.

Now if only sheep regrew their wool...

Also watermelons give a crazy amount of food. I have an equal area of grain and melons growing, and I've got like 20 grain harvested, and already have a stack of 64 melon slices. This is more impressive because I didn't even have my melon seeds when I set up the wheat farm. You just get a ton of melon slices.

They don't fill you up much, but they're great for keeping you topped off.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 17, 2011

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

That snowman is adorable! I hope it only melts in really hot biomes like deserts and we'll be able to have them in temperate ones, because I really want to populate all my villages with snowmen npcs. Even if they don't do anything, just having people mobs would make my villages feel more alive.

Alternately, he should add equivalently useless animated scarecrows (with pumpkin heads).

FRAZZLED JOHNSON posted:

edit: I wonder, will the recipe be the obvious 3 snow blocks + 2 sticks or will there be a rare ingredient required?
Coal is traditional as well.

But yeah, you'd think it'd take something special to animate it. Ender Pearls don't do anything yet... it might be kind if neat if they ended up being a kind of vital essence thing in crafting recipes.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Reminds me of how people looked at Dwarf Fortress. Now there was a truly inspiring game, with a truly frustrating development cycle.

"Why," everyone asked, "is this brilliant concept not being picked up by a more competent coder?"

And so in the dark icy land of Sweden, an obscure indie programmer took up the challenge to make his own version of Dwarf Fortress... but he ended up getting distracted and made Minecraft instead.

I'm sure there's a lesson there somewhere.

But seriously, if the guy's having fun making snowmen, let him have fun making snowmen. It'll add something to the game at least. I mean, he could just dick around and play other games when he's frustrated coding something boring-yet-important.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I don't understand how this doom and gloom can be so prevalent after what we got in 1.8. Whatever you like about Minecraft- exploring the surface, spelunking, or just building pretty things without worrying about resources- 1.8 made incredible strides to improve the game.

Biggest most satisfying update the game has ever had, and people are whining about the lack of direction the next week... because Notch added a fun little thing to the game. People are honestly upset and angry at how Notch spent the couple hours or whatever coding a snowman instead of fixing bugs.

"Entitlement" may be an overused slur... but if the word means anything at all, I'm sure you could see at least a hint of entitlement in this situation.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

The problem is that exploring is boring. Forcing people to explore the same random terrain to find wool isn't exciting. Once you've seen the few biome types you've really seen it all. By making things so extremely random, you end up making everything look pretty much the same.
Really? I think it's loads of fun.

Maybe you just need some sort of investment or goal when you're exploring. A friend and I set off to a faraway land to build our own city on the small MP server we play on, sailing east for about a minecraft day over the open ocean. We wanted to know if the land we'd found was a new continent or if it was somehow connected to the old one.

It took seven maps and four or five real-time hours to discover that we were on an extremely large peninsula, separated by a vast gulf from the spawn lands.

As we mapped our peninsula, we saw spectacular mountains, a swampy island that was on fire, a massive desert with an insanely long river winding through it that we eventually just gave up trying to find the source of because it was just too huge. And I got the biggest rush when I rounded the cape that proved we were on a peninsula and not just an isthmus.

All the while, when I was by myself and exploring, I'd leave signs with random thoughts and observations next to torches, in the hopes that if someone else ever wanders the faraway land I was mapping, they'd have a companion in the form of my signs.

And even in single player, if you know you're mapping your neighborhood, your realm... it's really quite satisfying. To know that off in that direction there are incredible mountains, and over there the ocean stretches off forever, and that you're really just on the edge of a really really large lake instead of the ocean or whatever... it adds a lot, and it's really fun to find out.

So yeah, 1.8 + maps = incredible fun while exploring.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

wise purchase posted:

Hey all, I have to say, this game looks very interesting and I've been considering purchasing it for awhile now, but I'm a bit concerned about the game still being in beta form. If people are paying the creator for an unfinished game, then what incentive does he have to finish the game? Who wants to pay full price for half a game? I mean, I have faith that notch isn't scamming us (he's a gamer like the rest of us, after all) but then I run across stuff like this which shakes my confidence. Do you think the community is robust enough to handle a non-beta minecraft becoming vaporware?
It's way more than a $15 dollar game now, even if nothing else is done. It's not unfinished by any stretch of the imagination.

And it's totally not going to be going drying up at any time either. Notch has a company now, and employees (well at least one employee) to work on the game if he personally loses interest. Which he totally hasn't. He just made a snowman mob earlier today... you can tell he's enjoying himself with fluff like that. (For some unfathomable reason this pisses off people here to no end, who feel they're owed Notch's constantly suffering.)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Toady posted:

It's most definitely unfinished--some aspects of the game don't even do anything, like XP levels and ender pearls. The game's in a weird state right now, in the middle of a transition to some kind of RPG.
The game doesn't need XP to be a complete game easily worth $15.

I mean, if the fear is that Notch will abandon the game and that everyone who bought the game would be hosed over because the game's not "done" yet... well, that's a silly fear. The game is done enough to be fantastic in its current state. More stuff is coming, but that's just icing on the cake, not anything that needs to happen for Minecraft to be worthwhile.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Toady posted:

It's still an incomplete game with several features that do nothing at all or are indefinitely unfinished. Once the novelty of the sandbox construction wears off, you're left longing for an actual game here (well, I am, at least), and there isn't one yet.
There's never going to be one. There might be a few more game-like elements to give the sandbox more life, but it's never going to be an infinitely fun game. That's impossible. You can't have a game where the novelty never wears off.

If that's what it would take for the game to be "complete" in your eyes, drat straight Notch is going to give up before he reaches that goal.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zorak posted:

People feeling the need to whiteknight Notch because they're emotionally invested in the game/ him is bad, yes.
Whiteknight is a loaded term... I enjoy the game, and I like where it's going... so when someone says they don't like it, I want to explain my position. That seems to be the very most fundamental basis of a discussion. It's also technically being "emotionally invested" and feeling the need to "defend" the game.

Nobody does anything without emotional reasons. If I were totally cool and apathetic about the game, I'd never even post about it. No one would.

I guess my point here is that the issue is with the folks acting like their dog has been killed, and the truth is not, in fact, somewhere in the middle.

I suppose I could be wrong though. Easy to be emotionally blinded to stuff like that.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Novelty is not the only source of fun. :ssh:
In a sandbox game it really is. It'll lose its charm eventually, and then it's not fun anymore. It's only fun so long as there's fresh things to do and projects to work on.

Maybe we mean different things by novelty... but when Toady talked about the point "when the novelty of construction" wears off, I assumed he meant the point at which your familiarity with the gameplay available makes it lose its attraction. When building stuff gets old.

That's always going to happen. It'll always get old eventually, no matter how fantastically full of complex interacting features it is. The games quality can only really be measured by how long it takes to get old, not if it ever does get old or not. To be upset at the game as it stands because it does eventually lose its novelty is missing the point.

TiCK posted:

There are tons of fun stuff he could do which could actually make multiplayer really fun if they were mutually exclusive choices to make (Will I take the miner path, the crafting path or the building path?)

Or snowman mob that doesn't do damage. It's all good.
I'd much rather have the snowman mob than exclusive choices. I mean, there's some counter intuitive sources of fun, like the satisfaction you get from grinding or whatever... but having the reward for grinding limit your options? That doesn't sound fun at all.

And snowmen mobs sound pretty useful actually. They'll attract the wrath of hostile mobs with their snowballs, letting you escape or giving you time to get the first strike on a mob. They're like living shields. I guess their use depends on how disposable they really are, but as long as they're made out of common materials, they should add a nice little something to the game, as well as being just plain fun.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

TiCK posted:

I never thought leveling in Fallout was "limiting my options" but rather giving me new ones. That's definitely a glass-half-empty way of looking at things, I suppose.
Ah. Actually, I understand you a bit better now. I still don't think it's right for Minecraft, but I get what you're saying.

The reason it's fun in Fallout though is that you're making a character. That's pretty much all you're doing in Fallout (creatively, at least), and so it's fun to define yourself against characters you are not.

Minecraft currently gives you absolutely no tools to make a character. It's all about making a world... so I didn't even process the idea in terms of your "character," but in terms of what it let you do to the world.

I do agree to an extent, it would be nice to build up yourself as you build up the world, but I'd sooner see more persistent equipment- like the ability to repair stuff and more easily keep it after you die.

Though as it stands... you drop your XP on death, so I doubt they're really thinking about making player growth less fragile...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You can extend progression nearly infinitely, provided you introduce enough variety and challenge to the progression. The most obvious example (albeit in a very different genre) would be something like Diablo 2, where despite the fact that the gameplay is all more or less the same, you're constantly introduced to new environments, more powerful tools, harder challenges, and then cycled back to the original material with a slight twist once you've had enough time away from it.
I see. But I'd still call that novelty (I'm pretty sure we do have different definitions). And even that formula gets old eventually.

quote:

If Minecraft didn't exhibit any behavior like this at all, I wouldn't complain about it. The thing is, it does - just in a really limited and haphazard way. The Nether is a new environment, much more dangerous than the regular Minecraft world, and contains resources that aren't available elsewhere -- exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. The trouble is that the Nether is a dead end, the resources you get there are mostly useless, and it leads to nowhere new. All the important resources (after really basic stuff like food and wood) are gathered in the same way - strip mining - which is tedious to boot.
Sounds like you want Minecraft to be Terraria. It'd be pretty neat if it was, but in the end I personally found that Terraria had less longevity, even though it had all these things, because after conquering all the new worlds and upgrading to all the top tier tools... there wasn't much left. You couldn't build things half as neat as in Minecraft for the simple fact that it was missing a dimension.

Minecraft's real strength is its creative side. Even if its gameplay managed to rise to the addictive level of Diablo 2, the gameplay would still get old before building stuff did.

Or at least, it would for me.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

And they're too weird-lookin' for me to kill, I just kinda want to not be around them. Ever. At all.
I kind of didn't like the way they looked at first, but after a reaction like this... I think they're growing on me for just how... unfortunate they are. They didn't ask to be freaks of nature, but there they are... shuffling around awkwardly.

They're just so silly looking.

And you can kill them. I felt bad when I did... They don't fight back or run away. They just kind of... accept their fate.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fun fact- liquids now seep through dirt. If you make a room right under one block thick of dirt with water or lava above it, you get little particles falling from the ceiling.

Just a neat little graphical effect.

change my name posted:

Are snowmen in yet?
Not so far as I can tell... Creative mode doesn't have any items that would suggest snowman bits.

It's got the blaze rod, ghast tears (I think those are new) and some yellow lightbulb looking thing with no name. Edit: And "Netherwart."
There's also Netherbricks and Netherbrick fences in the block category.

LotionMan posted:

some of the villagers have aprons as well - found one that could be a blacksmith and maybe a cook? also a guy in a labcoat in a house with bookshelves
I saw one dressed in purple in a church.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

At first I felt sorry for the spider- it was bombarded nonstop from all directions by snowballs. It could barely move as it was constantly pelted.

But as time went on I realized it was the snowmen who were in a desperate battle for their lives. One they were doomed to lose. The spider would get an opportunistic hit in every so often, and one by one the snowmen slowly fell.

It was a sad battle... the many snowmen in a hopeless battle vs. the one spider.

Then a creeper showed up.

So many snowballs... so many.

As a side note, I will like how renewable the snowman resources are as soon as we actually get some way to acquire pumpkin seeds. As it stands, they're stupidly finite, as pumpkins are fairly rare, and you don't get your pumpkin back when the snowman dies. If we do get pumpkins seeds, however, we'll have a good reason to farm pumpkins. Each one will basically be a free summon-able shield to distract monsters. It would totally be possible to just throw one down in a cave as a distraction too.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Pumpkin seeds exist, and are farm able.
They exist, but there's no way to get them in game as far as I know. You'd think they'd be dungeon drops like melons seeds, but it seems they aren't.

Complete list of new features according to the wiki (lazily copy-pasted so crap formatting):

# New mobs

* Villager
* Magma Cube
* Snow Golem
* Mooshroom [Note: I'm pretty sure this is bullshit and they're not in yet]
* Blaze

# New blocks

* Netherrack Bricks
* Netherrack Fence
* Lily Pad

# New items

* Blaze Rod
* Ghast Tear
* Nether Wart
* Gold Nugget

# New generated structures

* Nether Ruins

Besides all that there's swamp biome shading... which is pretty hosed up at the moment, and a liquid dripping graphical effect.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

change my name posted:

I think it looks better that way, almost like the fresh running water is cutting through the stagnant stuff
The idea is decent enough, there just needs to be better blending... which is to say, there needs to be any blending at all.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

They're in strongholds, I believe, and you can make more of them by breaking full sized vines.
I don't think they're even in strongholds. Pretty sure there's no source of them in the game yet.

Which sucks. I want a snowman army.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 23, 2011

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Minty posted:

You haven't seen when two bodies of water meet, have you? Here's some examples:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dVXjPeWywto/TbwQb9QVXmI/AAAAAAAAFQo/PU8xHWmOx7o/s1600/cairo.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rgdaniel/421623224/
You've not seen swamp biomes interact with rivers in Minecraft, have you? The middle of the river is bright blue, and the edges of it are practically black in the same river, with a horribly jagged blocky border between the two colors.

And you've got the same jagged sharp borders between greenish black swamp grass and vibrant bright green other grass. And even leaves in the same tree quite often.

It would be cool if it were just bodies of water interacting like that, but it's everything about swamp biome transitions that are... not good... right now.

I do love the dark swamps themselves, though. Just needs a bit of polish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

HYMEN.SYS posted:

It is a pre-release leak. Odds are the feature isn't near complete yet.
I know... doesn't make it not look terrible now.

It's just an observation, not a condemnation. Like, I could say, "NPC villagers are useless" and it would be true, but not a condemnation of NPC villagers as I know they're not done yet.

And swamp transitions do look terrible now.