Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Drake Lake posted:

How's that?
That looks so loving cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Dogo posted:

I am still very new to minecraft, and I am still learning. I have seen a couple people post images of their minecraft maps like this: http://i.imgur.com/kB4tM.jpg

Can someone explain how to make one of these?

Check out some of these.
Cartograph G - Isometric map renderer. Supports rendering individual layers and filtering by block type.
Minutor - Interactive map renderer that allows you to view individual layers in real-time.
Isocraft - A great isometric map renderer.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

FPzero posted:

Please start every item's name with Space. I want to collect Space Artifacts by swing with my Space Grappling Hook and drilling with my Space Drill, eating Space Chocolate to survive.

Or alternatively, start every items name with Cosmic.

Cosmic pork and Cosmic door.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Bicehunter This project looks amazing. If you setup either a 'donation' link or a kickstarter (although maybe a little early for that) I'd 'pre-order' that poo poo so fast.

And if you leave this open to modding, I'd love to get my hands on the code and build a SpaceStation13-like out of it. I've wanted to do that with an engine for ages but just can't build a voxal engine for the life of me.

But dude, top work. I hope you get a thread up soon.

*edit*
AND OH GOD HIGH RES TEXTURES WITH EASE :swoon:

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

DuFfY posted:

Very nice work Bicehunter. You inspired me to upload my own video. As my own dev-textures were vomit inducing, and due to the nature of this thread, I temporarily replaced the textures with the ones from minecraft.

There's something wrong with my Minecraft
AKA
Sandbox (working title)

http://youtu.be/_reoN_DSKLY

This is also really, really awesome. Great work guys.

Maybe.. just maybe, you guys could work together! I kid, keep it up guys.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

blastron posted:

Welp, this thread has made me start working on my 3D SS13 engine again. Is there going to be a "goons making voxel games" megathread for when I actually have screenshots (I'm working from the netcode up :c00l:) or is this the thread to watch?
NO..loving..WAY.

This is my dream. Don't let me down.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

It's funny - watching that youtube video of 0%#101^c-~ or whatever the gently caress it's called - I was sighing at how charmless and cheap and amateur it all looked considering how Notch has more money than Croesus now and he could pay some real talent to help him out on this thing.

Then it occured to me - if I had that much money I'm not sure I'd want to go to the trouble of setting up a proper dev studio either - it's not like I'd need any more money, and it would be more fun to keeping tinkering away at my dorky little java fun projects, because really - what have I got left to prove at this point?

This is kinda the way I see it. He has every geeks dream. He makes games he wants to play, in a really kicking rad office, with his friends. Dude has it made and I don't blame him one bit.

But then I kinda hope it turns out to be a fun game. I mean, so far everything is placeholder as I understand it, so I'm eager to see where it heads.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't know anything about Java, and with a cheapish-but-brand-new machine with 8GB of memory, the game absolutely will not run beyond 8-chunk distance without soul-crushing lag. I was fairly surprised, I thought it could handle Minecraft better than that.

I have the same problem, but with 16gb of ram and a i7 960. Its been happening for about 5 or 6 months now, before the chunk updates limit updates. No idea why, but it means I can't play the game at all.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Apparently Creativerse (http://store.steampowered.com/app/280790/) isn't a bad Minecraft clone, but its a bit rich for me to try. But it has DK2 support, and looks neat. A few of my buds play it and don't mind it. I might grab it one day and see, but atm, I'll stick with what I know.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Onean posted:

Price-wise, it's cheaper than Minecraft which is currently $26.95 USD. :shrug:

Oh I know that. I just don't want to spring on it yet when I already own Minecraft. Not unless somebody dives in and tells me its amazing. Though buying it gives you two copys of the game...

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Keep in mind, if their buying Mojang, they would also get Scrolls.

Ah I see. So Microsoft just want their own Hearthstone. Minecraft is just an added bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nietzschean posted:

Hello friends I have a question about plane on my own personal server. I would like to be able to connect to a server that is hosted on one of my own computers in my own home. I would like to be able to connect to the server even if the internet connection is presently not working. my computers are connected via Ethernet cords to a router and I am able to transfer files between them using homegroups and workgroup and networks even when the internet is not connected. however, trying to connect to the server, which is hosted on one of these computers, does not work when the Internet is disconnected. attempting to connect to the server shows that server is detected play multiplayer portion of the Minecraft client, but everytime I try to connect the game houses at logging in and then displays the following error: failed to login the authentication servers are currently down for me maintenance. It occurs to me I should be able to play minecraft on a server posted on the very machine which is also hosting the Minecraft client which is trying to connect to that server, even if the internet is down. I am NOT a lizard but I know that some of you are. what sort of magic do I need to do, and please use small words because baby is bad at computer, in order to make this thing that I want to do a thing that I can do. thanks in advance.

Try typing localhost into the server ip and see if that works.