Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So, I'm running a vanilla server (posting in correct thread, go me) and I keep finding chunks that refuse to update. I'll be able to break a block or place a block in it, and I'll get the block, but the graphics in the region won't update (or, if I placed something, it'll be placed with transparent sides that let me look through the world.)

This cannot stand. Every place I find where I want to build, I find out that half the building won't update while I'm trying to adjust lighting or the carpet or whatever. What can I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Jervas Dudley posted:

The last time I constructed a rail station, it had 16 destinations. Each destination had a booster big enough for the return. I'm probably going to start a new server with friends a little after 1.8 launches and realizing that unless every track is two lane there's no point to a large powered rail section at the station since there has to be enough boost for the return trip on every track anyway. Though I'm trying out a 2 lane design that shares powered rail sections.

Sharing sections? Wouldn't you be concerned about collisions about sections in use by both directions of travel at the same time? Either way, yes, cartboosted rail may have been easier to manage construction-wise, but powered rail is simple enough that you just add some on and it works.

My latest railwork is for a somewhat smaller server than usual (most of the guys on it have dropped out for League of Legends or Terraria), so this time I decided to mix it up a bit and just make a two-lane loop around between our various home bases, one clockwise, the other counterclockwise. You get where you're going quickly enough, even stopping at each station and pushing the continue button, barring one segment that has to cross under the bay because one guy had to build on an island in his own neighborhood. You may want to consider something like that for local travel.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kin posted:

Well, to be honest, the combat of Terraria got grating after a while. It got to the point where i was like "just leave me the gently caress alone and let me work".

Then Minecraft is where you want to be. Welcome home.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

You may want to make sure that java's up to date on your machine, if you're getting crashes like that just running the straight-up vanilla game.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kin posted:

Oh, are there mods to make things like the pickaxe have infinite health? I prefer the way Terraria did things with the tools in that you could use one forever, but they ranged from really weak to being super strong.

There's mods for everything, but they're fairly often gigantic pains in the rear end.

Here's the goon thread on Minecraft mods, though it fairly often descends into madness and Yogscast sycophancy.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430195

My advice would be to play it straight for a while---after an hour or two of play, you'll be swimming in enough iron to make as many picks as you'll need to mine out a ton of diamond---diamond picks easily last long enough to find enough diamond for even more diamond picks.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Lazyfire posted:

piston elevator

That is a genius design. So genius I immediately had to run to my SMP server and build one of my own. Unfortunately, I am apparently an inveterate fuckup, and can't build it correctly. Sadness. Somehow the pistons fall out of sync and I end up with situations where the pistons will all be pushing (or all but one will be pushing for no clear reason) blocks of empty air. I will have to rewatch the video and look for what I did wrong when I am not as tired as I currently am.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Lazyfire posted:

I had that set of issues at first as well. I found not using any repeaters kept things going well. If you make it taller than say, six blocks the torches will act as repeaters and keep things in line. It's important that before the elevator starts that the top two pistons are ON and the bottom right/pushing up piston has nothing above it.

Wait, the top two need to be on? I thought all four had to be off before the clock starts, hence the top-row torch in the 6-high? (I'm building the 6-high first since that's the size I'd be using anyway, then installing an identical one in the building.)

(I have pretty bad hearing---too many amplifiers---so if you mentioned it in the video and I missed it, my bad.)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CoderCat posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find anything in search. I'm new to the game. I learned how to mine and craft stuff in single player. However, when I join a multiplayer server, I can't mine anything. People told me in chat that I needed to find an unclaimed land. I walked around for hours, found pieces of land that looked empty, but was never able to break or mine anything. I can't find anything online about claiming lands either. What am I missing?

Also, certain servers are configured such that they require that your username is placed on the oplist before you can dig.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

crazylakerfan posted:

Same.

Thirded. Honestly, I love Minecraft, and I like having monsters around, even Creepers, but silverfish, no, my heart can't take it. I'm not in this game to be scared when something jumps out at me, and I'm definitely not in it to have my mining interrupted by things coming out of the walls. Is it only when a block is destroyed by a tool or would any destruction cause the fuckers to come out? Forget about TNT, then, and if a Creeper gets you, even if you survive, HERE COME THE SILVERFISH. Or, hey, let's say you want to knock down a wall in your living room and connect it directly to the dining room? OH poo poo SILVERFISH.

What is it with the mobs that Notch wants to add in the upcoming updates being ones that explicitly make the fact that your home/castle/walled-off cave/hovel/tower/whatever no longer a safe place? Between this and teleporting Endermen that can get behind your castle walls, even if you outrun them, there's rapidly little point to even HAVING a safe space other than a tiny room with a bed to make night go away and day come again.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

waffle posted:

I get what you guys are saying, and I think it would be nice if Notch had a "semi-Peaceful" mode with a few monsters, but not the more destructive ones, but I play on a SMP server with a few of my friends, and it sounds really fun for us to have to watch our poo poo/rebuild stuff every once in a while when we're not careful. Otherwise a world gets pretty stagnant after a few weeks, I think.

This is fair---I can't say I 100% agree, but that's just different play philosophies: I prefer to build in such a way that there will be no intrusion, and dislike rebuilding. It can lead to some stagnation, but the SMP server I've played on mostly has had serious lag problems leading to monsters ninjaing in and either killing you or blowing up all your poo poo before you can even see it, even if it's walking straight towards your face.

As you say, you prefer to watch your stuff/and/or fix it when it's busted, when you're "not careful," but these mobs, as described thus far, punish even the careful player, by teleporting after you (presumably) even after you've reached safe ground, or by popping out of blocks in well-lit areas in what is presumed to be safe ground.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Frantic pork in the middle of a battle was a terrible mechanic and the idea that anyone would now retroactively defend it is ludicrous

Would you consider it ludicrous if people were defending healing potions or the like? Is it simply the fact that snacking on a porkchop breaks the verisimilitude of your game experience that leads you to this conclusion?

Nevertheless, I do believe it is reasonable to have reactions to announced items. While the exact nature of some of these changes are obviously not useful to debate until such time as the release hits and they can be properly spaded, obviously some of these announcements are going to cause a reaction; 'holy poo poo bugs are going to leap out of blocks we break' being one, and 'holy poo poo the only healing items we've had in the game to this point are no longer going to be useful in combat unless you're completely full' being another, both totally reasonable things to react to.

An acquaintance of mine put these changes together into one fairly succinct reaction, stating, basically, that Notch wants to make Minecraft a roguelike.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

I think healing over time is a much better mechanic

Ah. I missed where you said that.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mastiff posted:

I was talking to a friend, who mentioned that his 4 and 5 year old nephews play this game, & don't think it's scary.

Y'all are bigger cowards than preschoolers.

I have phobias. That's my only excuse. I can't take poo poo popping out at me. Especially bugs.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

DR AIDS posted:

black wool

Not obsidian?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

lenocinor posted:

I wonder why no one's thought to do turn-based stuff in true three dimensions?

Because then, http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#movingInThreeDimensions happens.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

crazylakerfan posted:

I never realized how strange it was that they just stood around until he fixed it. Well done Notch

Additionally, this means that if you're working on a complicated build and a cow or chicken walks in and starts pushing you around, you don't have to actually kill them to make them go away, which is nice.

...though that point's going to be moot since I'll need to kill them to make sure I have enough food. Argh, stop making survival a total Roguelike, Notch.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Seems to be intentional.

fakedit, EFB

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Three Red Lights posted:

Can someone give me a seed for some nice hills? I dont like flat plain lands.

e; Im dumb and didnt see the "post awesome seeds" thread.

I'm currently running on the seed "Cool Water", you start in a lowland forest, but the hills rise up behind you.

Fakeedit: I'm dumb and didn't see that you edited this post between posting it and my clicking on quote.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is there a downside to chowing down on the rotten flesh, or is that a 1.9 dealie?

IIRC, it poisons you, but poison doesn't have a working mechanic yet.

Yet.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Poison is in and it does work, get hit by a spider. Rotten Flesh doesn't seem to poison you, though. When you're poisoned your hearts turn yellow/brown and you lose a LOT of health.

Oh, so I'm totally misinformed. Okay. Maybe it's indigestion, since your foodbar goes greenish? I don't actually know, 'cos I can't keep 1.8 from crashing every thirty seconds on out-of-memory errors or just plain old lock-ups.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Odette posted:

I've never actually played with monsters, and I'm too scared to. :(

Good god, you're scared of monsters and you have that...thing as your avatar? I'M scared now.

IT'S LOOKING AT ME, gently caress.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dumb question time - So I launch my 1.8 server, and it immediately starts bitching at me NOT ENOUGH RAM, and reels off the -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M modifiers, so I build a shortcut with the command line as indicated, but now it won't even start, and because modern Windows OSes can't deal with having command windows open anymore, god forbid, I can't even see what goes wrong when the command window flickers on the screen for about five frames. Is there a special thing I should do with the shortcut that I'm not seeing, or what?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

PalmTreeFun posted:

It's not a windows problem afaik. I think the commonly googled answer to this problem stuck a "java" too many in the command line. Try removing one of them.

I've tried

C:\Windows\System32\java.exe -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar C:\Users\redacted\Desktop\minecraft resources\1.8 server\minecraft_server.jar

and

C:\Windows\System32\java.exe -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar

and get no love. Only one java in there in the first place.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

PalmTreeFun posted:

Are you sure it's java.exe and not javaw.exe? Also isn't Java under Program Files, not Sys32?

Arrath posted:

That seems kinda :psyduck: to me. Java installed into windows?

This is what my old server ran with:

@echo off
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -jar "%~dp0craftbukkit-0.0.1-snapshot.jar"
pause

The server gave me the following:

code:
2011-09-14 14:30:34 [INFO] Starting minecraft server version Beta 1.8
2011-09-14 14:30:34 [WARNING] **** NOT ENOUGH RAM!
2011-09-14 14:30:34 [WARNING] To start the server with more ram, launch it as "java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar"
2011-09-14 14:30:34 [INFO] Loading properties
2011-09-14 14:30:34 [WARNING] server.properties does not exist
And I just pasted that quoted line into a new shortcut. Windows filled in the rest of the pathing. Windows is probably incorrect in this case.

And it is. With a quick swapup to java being in Program Files and some quotes where necessary, the server is launching.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Taffer posted:

Put the minecraft_server.jar file anywhere you want.

Create a text document, and paste this:

code:
java -Xms512M -Xmx1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui
and save it as start.bat, in the same folder that minecraft_server.jar is in.

Double click it, and the server will start. Don't bother with the .exe, you don't need it.

Beautiful, thanks. Even better.

...but now I have a different problem. I have no idea what's up now. I'm in, I'm opped, but everything I punch instantly reappears, and nothing drops.

EDIT - Maybe it's only this one chunk? I walked a little ways away and could dig okay. No idea.

DOUBLE EDIT - Now the /time command isn't working? What the balls.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 15, 2011

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Senator Woofington posted:

is anyone else's server going down constantly? My server has been down twice within this past hour.

Not here. Sure, players are constantly having Out Of Memory crashes, but the server's running like a champ.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Lord Dangleberry posted:

I just ate the rotten zombie meat the first night, which there is plenty of. Other than turning your food bar green, it seems to have no adverse effects.

I do believe I've figured out what goes on with the zombie meat and the green hungerbar---I obviously haven't spaded it all out because I can't be bothered with that poo poo, but just by staring really hard at the thing, I believe that the green hungerbar means you got indigestion or something, and the hungerbar drains faster...which can be fixed by eating more zombie meat. It still fills you up, you just remain full for a much shorter time.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So I'm trying to get the Minecraft Profile Manager to run with the expanded memory trick, and it was mentioned earlier in this thread that all you need to do is open the attendant .bat file and change the line referencing Minecraft.exe to the memory trick line.

...this would appear to not be the case. Anyone know how to get it sorted once and for all?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Super Dude posted:

There really isn't an excuse not to be running a 64 bit OS now.

Sure there is. I don't have the cash to buy a newer OS, nor do I have enough storage to back up my main drive in order to vape it to upgrade said OS.

E: Argh, Vib pointed it out before I did.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Balon posted:

What's the deal with leaky roofs? Every time it rains it's hit or miss if rains going to be coming through the ceiling or not.

Bug. Place a block on the floor under the rain, it'll stop and you can destroy the block immediately afterwards.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Two things:

First, for me, Java 7 did not fix my out-of-memory issues, though it does look like MC is running a bit smoother when not lagspiking. With Notch's supposed fix, maybe things'll be back to normal.

Secondly, I just tried dicking around with Creative last night, and I figured I'd ask a question before possibly making a bad decision: If I drop the new stone bricks into a structure in creative and then, later, in survival, break one of those blocks open, would I get silverfish? Like, are silverfish preloaded into strongholds or the blocks that make up strongholds?

I really don't want to ever see silverfish.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

No. 32 bit.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I, for one, don't understand the appeal of hi-res textures on a world made entirely of cubes. It may work for some people, but not for me.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Just hopped into a 1.9 game to see if worldgen was broken yet---seeds still match 1.8.

On the downside, NPCs are now inhabiting the villages that, on the SMP server I host, we all borrowed houses from, knocked the walls out and built bigger houses out of.

And they're too weird-lookin' for me to kill, I just kinda want to not be around them. Ever. At all.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Vatek posted:

Do the NPCs actually do anything or do they just mill around being all...villager-like?

So far, they just appear to be milling around with their arms in their robes. I didn't hang out long enough to see if they actually work their farms or whatever.

MikeJF posted:

So NPCs inhabit villages generated in 1.8?

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that. I don't know, and I probably doubt it---this was in a separate profile.

But seeing the same village in the same location that you've been building in for the last week or two restored by pig-people, that's the weirdness I can't shake.

Macaluso posted:

Can you kill them though? I'll probably get to doing that once 1.9 goes live because that village is OURS now.

Also, sucks for the NPCs in the village a little bit away from us that was built in the middle of the water!

Haven't tried. I did punch one and he flashed red and made a noise like a cow, so, probably. Gimme 30 seconds to find out.

In other news, holy poo poo, maybe I need to reboot, because 1.9 is making my graphics card do its best muscle car imitation. I hope this is not how things will continue, 'cos if this is more crashy and memory-intensive than the crashfest of 1.8, I dunno what the gently caress.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 22, 2011

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

With OpenGL on or off, I'm in the neighborhood of 16-20 FPS. This poo poo is killing me.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

simosimo posted:

Anyone else obsessed with making subway system tunnels? I love connecting up my settlements with little safe passages :3

I am, though I also enjoy overland passages as well. Sadly, I've not gotten to work on any rail of late what with all the 1.8 and 1.9 shenanigans.

Speaking of which, I'm lagspiked so hard that the game is still running, but at 0-1 fps, generally about one frame every five seconds, if that. 1.9 is machine death.

edit - I'm alt-tabbed away posting this and by the time I hit the post button, it just brings up the pause menu.

double edit - fuuuuuuck

hexwren fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 24, 2011

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I missed this patch, sadly. Doubly sadly, I've been hammering on my mouse button to get it to save and quit out for several minutes to no avail.

edit - MC crashed to desktop as I hit ctrl-alt-del to kill the process...and now Minecraft is actually refusing to load upon a restart. I may need to fix up a new profile in the MPM.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 24, 2011

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mulefisk posted:

I just bought a brand new high-end laptop, but now I'm thinking of getting my money back because minecraft runs almost just as badly as it did on my old laptop which basically didn't have a graphics card.

I don't get it, how can a game that looks like it was made in 1995 run at 30 fps on a brand new computer?

It has some coding problems. They will eventually get sorted out. In the meantime, if you're running the 1.9 prerelease, you may want to try the threading patch linked on the previous page of this thread. It fixed problems that java upgrades, code tweaking, and other suchlike delights were unable to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mr Scumbag posted:

I've looked that page up and down twice now and unless I'm going blind there is no such link there.

It was probably further back. I keep spacing on how quickly this thread moves. Here:

Vib Rib posted:

For anyone getting bad performance with 1.9 pre, try this user-made patch, which worked wonders for me. The new save-threading is good, but has a problem with the way its priority is coded, and thus causes problems. Pop this in and see if it helps.